Welcome to Gaia! ::

★ Avatar Alley ★ - Dress Up & Ghosting!

Back to Guilds

A guild for dressing up, ghosting, themed avis, contests, and more! 

Tags: avatar, alley, ghosting, dress up, avis 

Reply 🌸 Avatar Alley | MAIN 🌸
Writer's Corner {Not Avi Related} Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aidylasia

Snow Hunter

5,250 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:28 am
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna

Oh nice! Sounds like where I got my start with editing. I really loved helping others refine their ideas in college. Then afterwards I decided to switch tracks to pursue it further.
Definitely helps with writing! Mhm
I saw that you had posted a story link the site looks really interesting!
There was a spoiler above the link, the short story is in there. The link goes to my other stories on the site.

I pursued my AAS in computer electronics, writing was always just a hobby for me. I also have always hated grammar...sounds strange, I know...but the more I learned about grammar, jargon, gobbledygook, etc, the quicker I realized I'd never have "real" fun doing it. I gave up on a dream of becoming a lawyer, I hate it so much! Yet...I still love writing. I sometimes wonder if I have nothing actually published is b/c I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to grammatical correctness in my own writing...?

How funny! The more I learned of grammar the more it helped me to understand writing. You'd definitely have to study grammar to be a lawyer whee technical writing to the max

Thats possible! Have you tried to publish?

I sorta did try, but can't afford the publishing fees. I have a couple of kids stories I wanted to publish, that I'd made up for my kiddo as bedtime stories. They were accepted, but since I can't afford to do it...well, c'est la vie.
Yep, the more you learn about grammar, the more it helps when you are writing, that's a fact.

Aww thats too bad! Where were they accepted? I know there are publishers that give advances.
Que sera, sera!

I don't remember the company cat_sweatdrop I have the e-mails somewhere, but it was a couple years ago so buried deep in my gmail account, lmao. I'm considering publishing thru Amazon though, their free service. That's what my brother did, his book was even released in paperback form (I have a signed copy, proud big sister moment!).  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:29 am
Reiirin
Aidylasia

sounds interesting. I don't trust dictation software, personally. I've tried using text-to-speech and it always mis-hears words. I'd be worried that dictation software would quickly screw up simple words just because of pronunciation issues. And I talk fast, too...so slur words together....ugh, seems like a pain cat_sweatdrop

It depends a lot on the software you use! I used Dragon to write using my voice in the past, but if you want the transcription option you have to shell out for the markedly more expensive version.

While Word isn't as good at understanding me as Dragon is (you can train Dragon) I still prefer it because I can record myself talking and then have all the stuff down to edit later, rather than pausing to correct misunderstandings as I see them happening. Or just get too focused on my wording in general.

A better quality mic is also said to be pretty important for speech recognition. My phone probably isn't the greatest in that regard. Still works well enough for me but we all have different tolerance for this sort of thing.

Oh, a good working, higher-quality mic is IMPERATIVE for any speech-to-text program! That's a must, for sure.  

Aidylasia

Snow Hunter

5,250 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Gaian 50

Aidylasia

Snow Hunter

5,250 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:35 am
The Little Sleepy Lion
So, this is one of the stories I'd looked to publish. cat_4laugh

I used to be on Elfwood.com, but that site disappeared, along with all my uploaded stories. Maybe a good thing, but I enjoyed sharing with the people there, and wish I could find another site like them. I like writers.com, but it's not as "fun" as Elfwood was.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:02 am
Aidylasia
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna

Oh nice! Sounds like where I got my start with editing. I really loved helping others refine their ideas in college. Then afterwards I decided to switch tracks to pursue it further.
Definitely helps with writing! Mhm
I saw that you had posted a story link the site looks really interesting!
There was a spoiler above the link, the short story is in there. The link goes to my other stories on the site.

I pursued my AAS in computer electronics, writing was always just a hobby for me. I also have always hated grammar...sounds strange, I know...but the more I learned about grammar, jargon, gobbledygook, etc, the quicker I realized I'd never have "real" fun doing it. I gave up on a dream of becoming a lawyer, I hate it so much! Yet...I still love writing. I sometimes wonder if I have nothing actually published is b/c I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to grammatical correctness in my own writing...?

How funny! The more I learned of grammar the more it helped me to understand writing. You'd definitely have to study grammar to be a lawyer whee technical writing to the max

I sorta did try, but can't afford the publishing fees. I have a couple of kids stories I wanted to publish, that I'd made up for my kiddo as bedtime stories. They were accepted, but since I can't afford to do it...well, c'est la vie.
Yep, the more you learn about grammar, the more it helps when you are writing, that's a fact.

Aww thats too bad! Where were they accepted? I know there are publishers that give advances.
Que sera, sera!

I don't remember the company cat_sweatdrop I have the e-mails somewhere, but it was a couple years ago so buried deep in my gmail account, lmao. I'm considering publishing thru Amazon though, their free service. That's what my brother did, his book was even released in paperback form (I have a signed copy, proud big sister moment!).

Thats fine, just curious. Self-publishing is definitely a pricey route.
Congrats!  

DawnLuna

Vice Captain

Hilarious Phantom

15,675 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Empyrean Scribe 0

Aidylasia

Snow Hunter

5,250 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:57 pm
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna

Que sera, sera!

Congrats!

The Amazon publishing route doesn't cost you anything up front, just in royalties/etc. Just get way less out the gate, and less visibility to the public.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:57 pm
Aidylasia
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna
Aidylasia
DawnLuna

Que sera, sera!

Congrats!

The Amazon publishing route doesn't cost you anything up front, just in royalties/etc. Just get way less out the gate, and less visibility to the public.

true. I do find them less desirable as they do now follow up on allegations of plagiarism and stealing. There are some writers who have had entire stories ripped-off and resold. But since Amazons making money either way they dont care :shrug:  

DawnLuna

Vice Captain

Hilarious Phantom

15,675 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Empyrean Scribe 0

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:27 pm
Hey, I finished my goal of writing 13 novels in a year! (Ahem, 13 rough drafts in a year)

I took a little longer on the last story, because I wanted to give it more attention, and going forward, I am NOT going to keep the same pace, it's exhausting.

But I did it, yay! rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:04 pm
ZeeZeeMonster
Hey, I finished my goal of writing 13 novels in a year! (Ahem, 13 rough drafts in a year)

I took a little longer on the last story, because I wanted to give it more attention, and going forward, I am NOT going to keep the same pace, it's exhausting.

But I did it, yay! rofl

Congrats!! Impressive!  

DawnLuna

Vice Captain

Hilarious Phantom

15,675 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Empyrean Scribe 0

Reiirin

Unholy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:55 am
ZeeZeeMonster

But I did it, yay! rofl

Congratulations! That must've taken a LOT of energy and dedication!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 am
Reiirin
ZeeZeeMonster

But I did it, yay! rofl

Mostly it was a daily word count goal, and resisting the temptation to go back and fix things (I didn't always succeed at the second one)  

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

DawnLuna

Vice Captain

Hilarious Phantom

15,675 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:41 am
ZeeZeeMonster
Reiirin
ZeeZeeMonster

But I did it, yay! rofl

Mostly it was a daily word count goal, and resisting the temptation to go back and fix things (I didn't always succeed at the second one)

What's your plan for them now? :O  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:39 am
DawnLuna
ZeeZeeMonster
Reiirin
ZeeZeeMonster

But I did it, yay! rofl

Your question actually threw me for a loop, there smile . I guess it's really not 'no big deal' that I finished. I first thought that I might jump right into something for the last three weeks of August, but I haven't (besides my usual drinking around with writing, which is the kind of stuff I don't finish). I think I will start editing one when I get to September. The stories need a lot of work, since I didn't really get to prewrite for a lot of them, and the 50,000 word count aim means that a lot of the plots are compressed, especially toward the end.

So, I'm probably going to have to make several passes on the ones I do decide to edit (like a 'plot' pass and a 'setting/sensory detail' pass)

On the other hand, I don't want to abandon writing first drafts completely, since finishing the ones I did at least gives me a (semi)complete narrative to look at . . .

Clear as mud? I think the real thing to do right now is print off some of the older first drafts and start marking them up, maybe with different colors of pen . . .  

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

DawnLuna

Vice Captain

Hilarious Phantom

15,675 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 pm
ZeeZeeMonster
DawnLuna
ZeeZeeMonster
ZeeZeeMonster

But I did it, yay! rofl

Your question actually threw me for a loop, there smile . I guess it's really not 'no big deal' that I finished. I first thought that I might jump right into something for the last three weeks of August, but I haven't (besides my usual drinking around with writing, which is the kind of stuff I don't finish). I think I will start editing one when I get to September. The stories need a lot of work, since I didn't really get to prewrite for a lot of them, and the 50,000 word count aim means that a lot of the plots are compressed, especially toward the end.

So, I'm probably going to have to make several passes on the ones I do decide to edit (like a 'plot' pass and a 'setting/sensory detail' pass)

On the other hand, I don't want to abandon writing first drafts completely, since finishing the ones I did at least gives me a (semi)complete narrative to look at . . .

Clear as mud? I think the real thing to do right now is print off some of the older first drafts and start marking them up, maybe with different colors of pen . . .

Oh I didnt mean to! Ah alrighty, sounds like a lot to keep working with.
It is the end goal kinda? Like for fun and to practice? Or to share somewhere?
Ahh yess always the pens and highlighters help!!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:58 am
DawnLuna
ZeeZeeMonster
DawnLuna
ZeeZeeMonster
ZeeZeeMonster

But I did it, yay! rofl

Oh I didnt mean to! Ah alrighty, sounds like a lot to keep working with.
It is the end goal kinda? Like for fun and to practice? Or to share somewhere?
Ahh yess always the pens and highlighters help!!

Um. So don't feel bad about me freaking out. That was a while ago, and I still haven't really done anything with the drafts.

If you want to browse through the roughs, 2 through 12 are still up at writethatdumbnovel.com

Just keep in mind that they are rough drafts blaugh  

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

Reiirin

Unholy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:12 am
Given that Nanowrimo starts today, I feel like it's mandatory to post in this thread. Is anyone participating?  
🌸 Avatar Alley | MAIN 🌸

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff