Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[PRP] Rulers of the sea (Damahath & Hybreoth)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:15 pm
User ImageAfter her clutch's first solo flights, Damahath had concluded that the work she'd done practicing flapping her wings to build up muscles had not been sufficient. She hadn't embarrassed herself too badly, but she'd tired and it had meant that her landings were ungainly. After speaking with Vicortath, who was a fount of advice in the younger gold's point of view, she resolved to take to the water to practice propelling herself through water using her wings.

It will give your wings a workout, no question, Vicortath had said. The liquid state of the water will be as though you are flying against a wind and give you excellent exercise.

Damahath had hoped that her rider, Ara would join her in the water, as her human companion could not swim and probably ought to learn, but Ara was leery of entering any body of water larger and deeper than the bathing caverns. It was a conversation to have another time, Damahath decided. After watching so many of her siblings end up in the water, she did not want to risk a similar landing herself with Ara on her back, and possibly lose her rider to something as prosaic as drowning. They would definitely be having that discussion in the near future.

The young gold dove through the shallows toward deeper water, where her talons could touch the bottom if she decided to untuck her limbs from where she held them close against her body. She didn't want to drown, either, if she grew tired and somehow failed to float. It was awkward to hold herself low enough in the water that her wings could be put to use against the water, but she quickly found that the retired gold had been correct: it was certainly a workout. After ten minutes, her hearts were beating faster and harder than usual, and her wings felt a little heavy. It was time for a rest.

She took a deep breath, filling her large lungs with air and causing her body to rise buoyantly to the water's surface. There she realized that she was not as unobserved as she would have liked to be: her clutchmate, bronze Hybreoth, was nearby.
Uta

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:12 pm
With their first solo flights completed, Hybreoth couldn’t help but feel unstoppable. Nevermind the fact that he originally had wound up flying far from the main group; or the fact that he’d taken a surprise stop into some trees and foliage. The wind had not been his friend that day, but Hybreoth still felt he had championed flight. Yes, yes, there were some surprises that he had shared only with His, but ultimately, the bronze could find no fault with his skill. All he needed now was practice, and that was something the large bronze was eager to do.

Unfortunately, he was still limited to small flights here and there, and under supervision. He yearned to be as free as his older kin, able to glide here and there, or find the best perches to sun upon, or view the activity of the Weyr. “Soon,” R’him kept telling him, but Hybreoth was not known for his patience. Practicing during the afternoon and morning lessons just wasn’t enough--and Z’von had not yet released any of the Candidates dragons to be free to fly around as they chose.

Not quite yet.

Only once they mastered their take offs and landings, and were comfortable under the watchful eyes of the Weyrlingmaster would they be allowed to be as airborn in the Weyr as they wished. So, Hybreoth was still grounded--mostly. And even though it might only be another sevenday or two before they were all able to fly free, having such a small taste had only made him all the more eager.

So it was, the bronze had to find something to occupy his time. Practicing his wing flapping did not have quite the same appeal, but a swim might at least let him spread out his wings and play. It would allow him to burn through some of his energy, and so, R’him encouraged His to do so while he was busy with assigned chores and studies. Thankfully, it was warming up fast for hte mountain Weyr, and Hybreoth did enjoy a good swim.

Stepping up to the Weyrlake, the bronze had thought he might be alone--until he noticed the golden head of Damahath bobbing up above the water in deeper water. For a long moment he wondered what she might be doing, and he tilted his head curiously to one side, than to the other. How peculiar. She did not seem to notice him, intent on her swim. So, the bronze lingered in the shallows, pausing now and then to pose just so, in case she might finally acknowledge him or notice.

By the time it happened, he had his wings folded just so, and was making a few small waves with his tail tip. His eyes brightened to blue-green as he acknowledged his clutchmate and sister. Damahath--quite focused on your swim today, are you? I had almost begun to give up hope in you noticing me. A shocking thing, to be sure--for how could anyone not be drawn by his magnificence?

”Princess_Feylin”

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:47 am
Hello, Hybreoth! Damahath greeted her bronze brother, her eyes gleaming a pleased shade of turquoise. How could I fail to notice you?

She knew that Hybreoth was a favorite of her twin sister, Ardoxshoth, and so she always made it a point to be pleasant to him, even when she thought he was being a bit puffed up. At any rate, she was genuinely pleased to see him, despite the tickle of embarrassment she'd felt at being observed swimming hard. He was undeniably a strong flyer, despite the way the wind had pushed him around during their first solo flights. She, too, had felt herself at the wind's mercy more than once, and like him she had fought through it.

One of the older golds suggested I might try using my wings to propel myself through water in order to strengthen them, and I was giving it a try. Right now it feels like I've been at flap practice for half an hour!

As she bespoke her brother, she paddled to the shore and waded onto solid ground. She didn't want to have a conversation while working to stay afloat if he was going to stay in the shallows looking composed and put together. Habit had her wings folded neatly along her back as she emerged from the water, but she could feel the weariness in the muscles that controlled them. She would certainly hold herself properly while in public, but once she returned to her weyr she was going to go boneless and see if she could convince Ara to give her a bit of a rub down to prevent her muscles from getting stiff and being useless tomorrow in practice.

What brings you out to the lake? she asked as she settled into the shallows, enjoying the feeling of the water lapping at her lower limbs. I doubt you need to work hard to strengthen your wings like I do.

Uta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:10 pm
Hybreoth's eyes whirled an easy blue-green as Damahath greeted him, and in such a commendable fashion. He was well aware of his fine physique and wasn't shy about showing it off to clutchmate and stranger alike. That said, unlike some of his siblings, Hybreoth didn't actually to have to make much of himself or shout it from the sky or, in this case, continue to pose. He was amazing, and was certain the world knew it just by observing him; no trumpeting necessary. It would be misfortunate indeed. Thankfully, such tragedy was happily avoided and both of us are all the better for it. He mused aloud. While there was no doubt Hybreoth believed what he said, he did weave an undercurrent of humor, or at least amiableness, within his words.

He did not need the commendation of others, for he already knew he was the best of the best. But it would be most sad if they overlooked such greatness--for the would be deprived of seeing bronze among bronzes.

But that was neither here nor there.

As the young queen described her activity, the bronze dragon gave a small rumble of approval. While he had never done exactly as she described, he did so enjoy the water. An intriguing notion, though I do firmly believe in the benefits of a good swim. Your eyes look brightened by the exercise; I dare say, it suits you. He complimented, even as she paddled closer to the shore.

By all means, you needn't stop on my behalf. In fact, I was headed out to do some swimming myself; it seemed a lovely day and my rider is quite indisposed, at present. You flatter me, dear Damahath, but I must work as hard as any dragon would--even if I might wish not to. He confided with a low, amused rumble. Flying proved.... enlightening, and I'm eager to be up in the air to try again.

Princess_Feylin

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:34 pm
Indeed, Damahath agreed so gravely that she could only be making a joke of her own. At least it seemed that way to her. Though there's more room for betterment in some of us than others.

Familiarity meant that Damahath could recognize her brother's subtle good humor, and her eyes gleamed cerulean. He was, indeed, an amiable companion, and she could see why her twin enjoyed spending time with him. Damahath, herself, lacked his apparently unconscious ease when dealing with others, but she was unfailingly polite and pleasant to all, and that was usually good enough. She just reserved her warmth for Ardoxshoth and Ara, for the most part. She was feeling very proud of herself for being so easy with Hybreoth, and not acting like she was stuffed (a term she'd learned from Ara which she rather liked and found excuses to use in conversation whenever possible).

I would be so glad of your company, she said truthfully. The wind really took me quite by surprise during our first lesson, and I'm afraid I didn't set quite the example I would have liked to our siblings.

She tactfully did not mention that he, too, had apparently found the wind somewhat unwieldy. They were neither of them alone in their struggles. Perhaps as they grew larger and acquired more mass, the wind would be less able to push them around. Though more mass would also mean more effort to remain aloft. Which meant more flap practice. Alas!

Hard work does seem to be our lot, she commiserated, and then realized that she might sound like she was whining, and so she hastened to add, But it is also our privilege to protect Pern Then she thought that she probably sounded like a sanctimonious ninny. This was why she didn't often attempt humor with other people.

In any case, I really would be glad of the company. The water is calm today and a pleasing temperature, I think you'll agree, even if it can't compare to being in the air.

Uta
I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but Hybreoth is giving off such strong Mr. Darcy vibes. I love it.

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games