((Fuzzy-timed to the Horse clutch Blooding.))

It was time.

Indarrath lowered her head, sending a whuff of warm air about her rider as he clasped his helmet. The Wings were gathering in the bowl, and it was… it was their time to fly. Properly. Like actual riders.

His heart hurt.

We will be fine… I will keep you safe. She wrapped her tail around the young man, pressing her head against his back. He reached up and rubbed her snout, eyes filled with love. I promise you that I will do everything to keep you safe, my love.

He put on his helmet. No fear. They were strong together. They had worked so hard. Trained so hard.

Let’s go.

[hr]

From across the bowl, Nyaranau watched. Her heart twisted uncomfortably in her chest. Mictecath crooned low, turning a concerned gaze on her rider. My dear… I sense your worries...

I can’t protect him anymore. There’s… there’s nothing I can do.

My Nya… these are the fears we are burdened with every Fall. Our loved ones, our family and friends… they must all fight. It is what we do.

And if I lose him?

Our family never leaves us. Not truly. There were hints of sadness in the softness of her mindvoice. Nyara saw the ghosts of those lost to them, felt the flicker of pain that haunted her dragon still.

I’m sorry. Let’s focus. If we get through this day, we can celebrate being alive. That’ll be nice.

It was something. It was better than dwelling on what could be. On what was. On what had been.

-----

As they flew, R’uun struggled to control his nerves. He was glad for Indarrath’s steadiness, her reassurance. She flew as well as she could have, although the winds were strong. On more than occasion they were blown out of formation. It was his fault- his mental coordinates could have been better… If he’d just held it together instead of panicking!

I’m still here with you, my R’uun, and not too hurt. We can keep flying. She assured him, beating solid wings against powerful gusts. Together the pair soared, delivering firestone as needed, searing Thread when it came to them.

We’re… we’re flying. We’re flying Fall.

-----

They’re flying well. Mictecath remarked, watching the greenpair return with another sac of firestone. Nyaranau unloaded a bout of fire on an unsuspecting stray clump of Thread, trying not to notice her own sweating palms and dry throat.

Are they hurt?

Silence.

Badly? Her heart twisted again. She gritted her teeth as she scouted another piece of Thread, and aimed the flamethrower.

No. They are flying well still. They have courage and strength. Mictecath surged upwards, growling low in her throat. Focus, my dear Nya. There is more danger ahead.

As one, the pair flew and fought.

It wasn’t long until a death keen rose from the dragons, and Nyara shuddered, gasping. Mic?

Spavineth and his. They were taken. Her heart somersaulted into her throat. Nyaranau forced herself to breathe. It was hard. Harder than she ever thought possible- knowing her brother was up there… Knowing he might not be moments later. She wiped away a tear.

Okay. Focus. It was more for her own benefit than her dragon’s.

-----

The light was dwindling on the horizon, fading behind the familiar peaks. Nyara pulled off her helmet, wild curls tumbling free of their bindings. She strode across the weyrbowl with her easy confidence, Mictecath by her side. The weyrling wing were dispersing after a debriefing; it was time.

She pulled R’uun into a tight hug, catching the young man slightly by surprise. It wasn’t that he hadn’t seen her coming- who could miss the girl and her long, lanky gold- but the sudden display of affection caught him off-guard. “Whoa there.” He steadied himself, drawing back to smile at her. “I’m okay. We both lived.” His face was strained and taut as he spoke, and he didn’t quite meet her eyes.

“And you’re not too hurt?” She whispered, glancing over him before peering up at Indarrath. “Thank you, you wonderful, clever green you. You kept him safe.”

I will always keep him safe. Indarrath nodded her head, eyes whirling with fondness.

Mictecath nuzzled her fondly, then lowered her gaze to peer at the boy . She would not stop worrying for you both- honestly, it was rather tiring, telling her over and over again how well you two were doing. I am glad to see you both survived with just a few injuries. Indarrath shifted at this, hiding the shoulder that had been scored.

“Well, you don’t need to worry… I’m a dragonrider now… Indarrath and I did well together. She was amazing.” His smile was pained, and he seemed sheepish and uncomfortable. Nyara thought she recognised the mood; she still remembered losing fellow weyrlings in training. The pain never really went away- only became more bearable with time.

“I know you are, and yes, you are both well-matched in each other. Thank Faranth I don’t need to keep worrying about you- I have a lot to do, you know?”

“Of course you do, weyrwoman.” He joked, chuckling weakly as he shook his head. “Do you have time for a meal?”

“With you? Always.”