Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:38 pm
No one could deny the hatching was a success, and that included J'lar. The bluerider had been only too happy to assist in transporting Candidates to and from Western Weyr--and that it allowed him to see the Hatching was an additional perk. High Reaches Weyr had been his home for many Turns after all--but it was Western Weyr where Loreleth had been hatched. He had thought to settle their permanently...

But plans had a funny way of changing.

To start, Loreleth had made fast-friends with a visiting blue dragon. The older male had been good to his beloved, and while anxious in ways different than his dragon, Brieteth had had a positive effect on Loreleth. The friendship had remained steadfast despite distances--and while they were not able to see one another often, they stole away often enough on rest days so as to visit. Their friendship had fast turned into something more, which meant J'lar took every excuse he could to find a way to High Reaches, on top of many, many, beach trips on his rest-day.

A side effect of of Loreleth's fondness for Brieteth was that J'lar had gotten to know E'mel quite well--or at least well enough. The ex-mercenary had never really put himself out there. He was a private man, for many good reasons, and generally kept himself detached from others. Oh, he could be a team player easily enough--but he'd never quite been the same since Kharin's loss.

It had been Turns since he'd found a place to belong. He'd been at his lowest just before Impressing Loreleth, and his beloved blue had been a balm to his heart. But though he found a new purpose, and new goodness--he was still a bit shy, and still struggled in taking emotional risks. He had little care for any battle wounds or harm to his body--but he was far less certain when it came to matters of the heart.

Friendship had never come easy to him, and as far as lovers, he had very few indeed.

But slowly--ever so slowly--he had found himself looking with more interest at the red-haired rider of Brieteth. They certainly had an easy enough friendship--and were quite forced to be in one another's company. J'lar didn't mind--and he hoped the red-head didn't, either. Surely, the other was good natured enough, and kind enough, and humored them all enough. But lately, he had wondered if...

And that was as far as he let himself think. He didn't dare consider the rest of the question--not for fear of E'mel's reaction, but because it meant he was finally moving on. Was he ready to put himself out there? And what would happen if he did? Did he really need anyone so long as Loreleth was happy? He surely wasn't talented in any skill. He was big, he was strong--less so after his Thread injury, but still stronger than most--but he could not be considered handsome, and he didn't really see himself as any sort of catch. He was... just a rider.

But would he be someone E'mel might like? He knew they were friends--did he risk that just because he did feel a new interest in the other?

Bah.

So it was, the blue rider pondered things ever-so-privately. Maybe it didn't matter. Maybe he'd never say a word. But at least, for tonight, he'd clean himself up and enjoy the Hatching and the Feast with a friend. Which he had done--with Loreleth oozing nothing but fondness for Brieteth. But after the Hatching, and its subsequent feast--with a little bit of liquid courage--he decided he might as well ask if he wanted to dance.

Not that he was very well-practiced in that, either.

"Care ta' dance?" he asked, offering a hand to the other, and fully preparing for rejection. "I'm not great but this song seems slow enough." It was a slower song--but that would at least work in his favor. He didn't know some of the faster numbers or dances, but the slow ones usually gave one a little time to talk--and less risk of stepping on someone's foot. It might be nice... and J'lar wouldn't have to think of any complications.

It was just a dance, after all.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:59 am
Hatchings were always happy times. For candidates, of course, because they were a potential future that was laid out with hope and anticipation. For the Weyrs because more dragons strengthened their numbers. For Brieteth, because it was a neatly laid out schedule for when he would be able to see Loreleth, whether it was the pair to Western, or the dark blue and his rider to High Reaches. To say his friendship - and more - with Loreleth had bolstered Brieteth's confidence was an understatement. They were alike in ways that had very much mattered to the pale blue's sensitive heart and different in ways that had complimented well. Really, the long distance was the only thing that seemed to be a problem.

It was fortunate that Loreleth's rider had been as indulgent to the affair as E'mel had quickly become. Certain rest days had been set aside for the two blues to see one another and J'lar was more than agreeable company to the once-harper. In fact, he'd privately come to find himself looking just as forward to their stolen away time. Not that indulging Brieteth's small joys in life had ever been inconvenient or burdening.

He'd not been so silly as to not think there was a reason why he awaited the updates from Brieteth as to how J'lar and Loreleth had fared in Western's bouts against Thread or what concerns had bubbled up following the man's injuries. E'mel was very aware of what his feelings were. But he also wasn't about to make things potentially awkward without any confidence that he wasn't doing just that. Not if it would dip into that joy Brieteth felt in any negative way.

The celebrating was a good time to indulge things when there were plenty of fair excuses for behavior. The harper songs always stirred up that part of the young man that simply longed for merriment and dancing even in the quiet hours of the evening when it was just him, Brieteth, and his ill-tuned lute.

There was no hesitation when he took up the offered hand - and the invitation to dance. "Of course," really, J'lar could have dance as poorly as he wanted to any of the songs and E'mel would have found some fun to it. But a slower song felt a little nicer to his softly pining heart. It could pretend it was something and he'd just hope that appeased it.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:35 pm
The feel of E'mel's hand in his own stirred something in him. Maybe it was the addition of the liquid courage, or maybe it was just the high-emotions from the Hatching, or Loreleth's oozing attraction and fondness for Brieteth--but as he lead the Harper to the dance floor, J'lar became that much more aware of what he'd just done.

He'd asked him to dance.

To some sort of ballad.

And while the slower steps meant that he wouldn't make a fool of himself--it also meant that their dancing would be just a bit more intimate. Ballads and slower-songs that Harpers played were meant to draw partners closer together, as opposed to the fast-paced jaunts of the upbeat numbers. It made him all the more aware of E'mel's proximity.

Well.

Too late to turn back now.

And wasn't this what he wanted? "I'll still pro'ly bruise a toe or two of yours--hope you wore some sturdy boots." He spoke, his words light, and hopefully a way to distract from his sudden spike of nerves. Why should this be any different? It wasn't like he didn't know how to dance completely... He just rarely had someone to dance with, and now it was with him.

Slipping an arm about the Harper's waist--that was okay, right?--and taking hold of his hand, J'lar pulled them onto the floor so they could join the rest of the couples. "Loreleth's already lookin' forward ta th' next Hatching," he confessed. "He'll be spoiled by the time all this partyin's done." And how disappointed would he be when the two Weyrs were back in the old routine? ... how disappointed would J'lar be, for that matter?

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:15 am
J'lar's warning for his toes made E'mel laugh softly - more of a smile than a laugh, really. "Not the sturdiest, so I guess you'll have to carry me off if you bruise 'em too badly," not that he imagined the man to be that bad of a dancer despite the warnings contrary. It wasn't a bad mental image to have, though, and E'mel didn't pretend that it wasn't at least a little appealing.

His heart pounded in his ears, the other dancing pairs mostly ignored beyond the acknowledgment that they were there. Had it been any other partner, E'mel would have speculated on them - first time dance partners? Established beaus? His inner harper would have loved to play with the idea of it all. Instead, he was keenly aware of J'lar - his proximity, where his hands were. Like scraps tossed to the starving canine of his heart.

"That's good - Brieteth's favorite parts are when you two get to come visit. Or when we get to go to Western." The long distance chatter the two blues got to have more than made E'mel a little jealous - at best, he'd be able to settle for letters between visits.

He bit his lower lip at the thought. "I think I like those parts best too."

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:01 pm
The blue rider might well have overexaggerated his poor dancing abilities, but he knew he wasn't nearly as talented as some of the riders out there. He'd never had much of a reason to dance, and even when he had, it had been Turns and Turns ago. Long before E'mel, Loreleth, Candidacy... For a good while, he had no reason to dance but everything was different now. Where once he would have been too shy to stand up with another, J'lar had found some confidence--even if he was still quite sure he was at risk of making a fool of himself.

Having E'mel in his arms felt nice, even if it made him all the more aware of the pang in his heart. But he could keep it quiet, and cherish the moment--what E'mel didn't know couldn't hurt him, or embarrass him, and that was probably how it needed to be. They were friends, and he didn't dare risk that--or risk somehow ruining their visits or making them awkward. While he could handle rejection, he knew Loreleth would be devastated if his visits with Brieteth suddenly came to a stop or became more intermittent.

Holding E'mel as close as he dared, he joined up with the rest of the dancing couples. He hardly noticed them, and could only hope E'mel didn't hear his pounding heart, which he was sure was a dead giveaway. "Well, supposin' I do trample you--least I know where the Infirmary is. You'd be easy enough ta' whisk away." Even with his weakened, Thread-eaten back and shoulder.

"Pretty sure Loreleth would like it if'n we transferred, honestly," he confessed. He had been a Candidate at High Reaches before he'd aged out, and had Impressed a few Turns after. It had been his home for many Turns, and while he liked Western's mild weather and the beach, he wasn't overly sentimental about it, either. It was where Loreleth had been hatched...but outside of a few friendships, he didn't feel particularly tied down to the Weyr. If anything, he almost yearned to be back within the familiar mountains, not so much because it was home, but because of him.

It would certainly make life easier for Loreleth and Brieteth, but J'lar realized his thoughts were nothing short of fantasy--and probably not great given he was dancing with him. Hngh. Feelings. Why did they complicate things and when had they occurred? It surely wasn't just Loreleth's influence.

To hear E'mel's confession almost had J'lar miss a step--but he caught himeslf, and carried on in the dance. He wasn't going to overthink it. "It's a nice time it is. Loreleth's always lookin' forward to it, and your company's always a welcome sight. I'm glad ta' know it's not a burden or nothin'." He wasn't exactly full of charm or talent... but E'mel had always been kind, and good, and friendly, and warm. He never made him feel poorly, or judged, despite his lack of skill and talent. More and more, their periodic visits weren't just quite enough.

Loreleth sent a small wave of affection to His, even as he remained wrapped up with Brieteth. Mine thinks about Yours a lot. He confessed privately to Brieteth, confused by why His seemed both happy and distressed.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:20 pm
E'mel's heart surged at the mere suggestion that J'lar and Loreleth would transfer to High Reaches when the time came - even though it hadn't been said with anything resembling certainty. Would it have made life easier? For Brieteth, certainly. He'd become a permanent fixture upon Loreleth's ledge (or vice-versa) and the quiet anticipation, riddled with anxiety and fear, that came during Threadfall as they waited for news would lessen severely. For both of them.

"It would be nice if you did," E'mel allowed himself to say, hoping it didn't betray that thread of hopefulness that was already twisting itself into knots with anticipation. But even then, it would be Turns away and he'd have to count down the days still. But he'd do it gladly.

A countdown and a dance would hopefully sate that twist of desire in his heart, even if E'mel knew somewhere it would only serve to do the opposite. "You're quite the opposite of a burden, J'lar," he allowed himself to be plain about it.

Brieteth couldn't help but puzzle over his rider's feelings himself. Certainly, the young man's thumping heart wasn't a side effect of the blues being curled up with each other - even if he did feel every vibration of adoration across that bond between them. As does Mine, he confessed in turn. If they could speak as we do, do you think they would think of each other less? Surelt they'd instead stretch their thoughts across the distance instead.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:14 pm
demon_pachabel

it was nice to hear E'mel agree, even if he was certain it had everything to do concerning their blues and less of a personal wish. It would be a lot more convenient than their current set up--and Loreleth would be far more happy. The blue wasn't overly close to any of his clutchmates, and while he would be afraid to leave those he loved at Western behind--it was clear there was a dragon he loved all the more. The bue rider had never asked whether or not he would be considered part of the High Reaches Swap or not officially--he had simply been helping in the kitchens and wasn't an official Candidate--but he figured he'd look into it more in the next Turn or two. He didn't want to seem ungrateful to Western....

But Loreleth did pine for Brieteth so. J'lar had lived a fair bit longer at High Reaches Weyr than he had Western, at any rate, and would be glad to return to the snowy mountains. "I'll likely look inta' it in the next TUrn or so. Only a couple left if'n they treat me like da' Candidates who came over." And that wouldn't be long at all.

At E'mel's comment, he gave a self-deprecating laugh, before giving E'mel a little twirl on the floor. "That's prolly 'cause you've only had to be around me only every now and ag'in," he mused aloud. Still, there was a little bit of color that had caused his ears to burn. Compliments came few and far between from the man, but hearing E'mel say something like that was almost too much. "This ugly mug'd get mighty old if you had to see it every day, I reckon. But who knows? Here's a cople Turn warnin' to prepare." His words were said in jest and not meant to be completely serious--but he was well aware he stood out a bit. It was easier to poke fun at himself before allowing anyone else to do so--and at this point in his life, it was all but second-nature.

He didn't mind though. Some people were good looking, like E'mel, and half the host of High Reaches and Western Weyr. But not everyone had been so favored.

More reason's it was impossible for him to come out about his interest in E'mel. The blue rider was too good for the likes of him, in so many different ways.

The blue dragon considered Brieteth's words, even as he twisted his neck so he might nuzzle Brieteth's cheek with his own. He did like to remind himself that the other was there, no matter how tightly coiled they were. With purple eyes, the blue dragon gave a small hum. I think it would help, perhaps. Or mayhaps they would think of one another more? I have asked Mine if he wished me to send you a message to give Yours--but he always says no, no, no. I really don't know why. I like getting messages from you, and why wouldn't someone want to hear from Mine? It left Loreleth absolutely confounded and a little sad.

Especially because everything His thought was nice and good. Shouldn't Brieteth's know it, too?

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:12 pm
'The next Turn or so' is an awfully long ways away, E'mel thought to, mostly, himself with no small hint of dismay. If Brieteth picked up on it, he'd not fault his lifemate for being particularly sensitive to him at that moment. But he kept such dismay to himself out of politeness and to not step on any toes that weren't literal ones being danced with.

Still, he allowed that to wash away in a spin and a step, masked with a bright grin instead. "Well, I'd dare take you up on that challenge - seeing you every day and not getting tired of it," perhaps a touch more forward than he'd meant to be, but he'd play it off with an excuse or deflection of J'lar seemed put off by it. There was much celebrating to be had, after all, and while E'mel hadn't been drinking he'd have no problem pretending otherwise if he had to.

Brieteth leaned into Loreleth, content to tuck a wing over the younger (though barely by now) blue and pressing his cheek against his. They would have to part far too soon, and he was all too happy to soak up what he could of the other dragon while he still could. Mine fears intruding with the distance in time - or so he claims. He does make more excuses when it comes to Yours than he has for anything else. Strange, when I know they mask what he wants.

Why were humans so funny sometimes?

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:34 pm

J'lar didn't expect E'mel to reply as he did, though the man was quite sure that the harper said as much simply in jest. Still, he didn't mind--even if he had to tell himself not to read too much into it. Being able to transfer was so far away he highly doubted the blue rider put any truth into the words. "Careful now--I'd hate ta' make ya' lose such a bet. Might well could happen, ya know... 'Specially if we do come back to the mountains. At least then you'd get out of all those beac trips, just about--the boys could hang out here all day, every day, 'n be all the happier for it." It did sound like a nice picture, after all. J'lar would give Loreleth the world if he could--so changing Weyrs wouldn't be a burden.

All they needed now was time.

For now, though, he would focus less on what might come, and instead, enjoy the rest of the dance. He knew it wouldn't last forever, and too soon, the song would change or the harpers would put up their instruments for a break. "How you holdin' up with my dancin'? Should I mix it up? Give you a dip or somethin' fancy like?" He mused, not quite sure what was expected.. At least he hadn't run over his toes.

Loreleth was more than content to be wrapped up with Brieteth. The young dragon knew what his feelings were, and if he did not always say them, he certainly felt them. He was a little worried about scaring his fellow blue away--but there was no doubt about it that he was head-over-tails in love. He also knew His very well, and while he would not push his, Loreleth was no fool. He wanted His to be happy--but couldn't figure out why he did not say what he felt. It was very perplexing. Is it because they have no ledge to rest upon? No tails to twine? Mine would show purple eyes to yours if he could, just as I do you. Thankfully, His wasn't paying much attention to what Loreleth was admitting to.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:30 am
It seemed as though J'lar hadn't read into his words - or if he had, he hadn't been put off by them - allowing E'mel to breathe an internal sigh of relief. Sure, it would be nice for the boys to spend more time together, but surely it wouldn't just be the two blues if they didn't need to take dedicated trips anymore.....right? He bit his lower lip, almost tempted to ask the question, but gathered himself up quickly enough. "I enjoy the beach trips, though," he allowed himself instead.

E'mel, being a (former) Harper at least had some idea of how much longer until the tunes would change with the flow of the festivitous evening and that was almost something to mourn for. If a dance here or there was all he was to have to stash away selfishly, could it not last a little longer? J'lar's questions stirred him a little. "I think this is perfect the way it is," he confessed, even if it had been less dancing and more just being held give or take a twirl here and a step away there.

A ledge to share would surely alleviate much of their woe, of this, Brieteth was certain. Was his not as fond of Loreleth's as he was of the darker blue himself? Though he had at least had the, admittedly pre-Threadfall-fear-fueled, bravery to at least use the word 'love' plainly at least once was it harder to do so as a human when the heat of a moment required more effort with a mouth? What a shame, truly. Because twined so with Loreleth, Brieteth was certain a similar experience would make both of their riders quite happy. Mine would show purple eyes right back. he at least let Loreleth know as he leaned his head against his.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:44 pm
It pleased the large man to hear his confessions. To know he enjoyed the beach trips, and more presently, thought that their dancing together was perfect did cause his heart to give a little leap. J’lar wasn’t a particularly confident man, but E’mel’s confession did have him wonder and, perhaps, hope.

“Well, even if we did move back here, there’d be beaches aplenty I reckon,” he mused. “Loreleth enjoys our outings, and you know he’d want Brieteth there.” The dark blue was a fair-bit obsessed, and wanted to spend as much time with the other as was possible. Somehow, J’lar doubted that would change even if they were able to see one another every day. It wasn’t that Loreleth didn’t like making friends but Brieteth was, and would always be, safe, comforting, and the other half of his world.

“Aw, you’re too good ta’ me,” J’lar chuckled, continuing their little dance. The song would be over soon and then what? Did he ask for another? Did he let them go back to the tables and see what conversation might be had? “Always smilin’, always have somethin’ nice ta’ say. ‘Sa wonder there ain’t a queue waitin’ ta dance with ya.” And a wonder he cut out so much time for Loreleth and him. Obviously, it made Brieteth happy, and that must have been the reason; honestly, it occurred to J’lar that he didn’t actually know what E’mel’s status was regarding--

Well.

It wasn’t his place to know. He thought he was available, but that didn’t mean things hadn’t changed since last they met. And the fact he was even wondering was the problem, wasn’t it? Even if he was on the market, would he really want someone like him? Maybe he was reading too much into it.

Loreleth heaved a small sigh, sending gentle assurance and calm to His even as he soaked up Brieteth’s company. If only Theirs could be so comfortable, so happy. If only they could stay. It is good to know. Until then, we shall simply have to make purple eyes at one another, and dream about the day we won’t have to part. Perhaps someday, we can share a ledge all our own.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:21 pm
"Beaches are nice, but they're not the best part," E'mel chose not to expand further on the statement. He liked the beaches for the same reason Brieteth liked them. Not that he'd ever choke out anything like that, especially not when it could ruin the moment they were already having. Not that he could see J'lar keeping Loreleth from Brieteth over some overstepping fumble of feelings on his part. Just the secondhand buzz of affection was enough to get drunk off of.

He smiled at J'lar's words. "A line to dance with me? I don't know how I'd feel about that - I'm already getting the best dance of the evening," at least as far as he was concerned.

Brieteth heaved an almost dreamy sigh at what Loreleth suggested. My ledge here is already yours - there's nobody else I'd rather have upon it, my love. The mere idea that come morning he'd have to leave again just tore his hearts in two, leaning closer to the darker blue to soak up as much of his touch and attention as he could in the time they had.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:30 pm
demon_pachabel

J'lar was not known to be a clever man, and he never thought of himself as one, either--but even he wasn't so dense as to mistake the hints E'mel might have been choosing to give. In fact, the man was mightily suspicious that maybe--just maybe--the other might be flirting with him. Alas, as soon as the thought entered, did he immediately reject the idea.

Not because it was unpleasant, but because he could hardly hope that it would be true.

He was interested in E'mel, and that alone seemed troublesome. If a lack of self-confidence wasn't already present, than the worry of giving his heart to another--even after all these Turns--was. I had never occurred to him that he might be worth another's fancy, for all that he was large, scruffy, and had only a face Loreleth could love. Surely, for someone as cute as E'mel, he could have his pick of men or women...

And yet.

Here they were, dancing, talking, and enjoying each others company. Too soon the music would end, and then what? The night would end, they would go back to their respective Weyrs, and wait for the next beach date. Would that be enough? Would this dance be enough? It had to be, especially if he kept his feelings buried. Surely, E'mel was simply being kind, and J'lar was reading far too much into his words, because he wanted to hear him say such things.

"Well now--you can have as many dances as ye like," J'lar finally spoke. "Don't much wanna dance with anyone else, anyway," he let himself confess, conveniently giving E'mel a little twirl so he couldn't object right away. He almost added more, in case the blue rider read too much into it; but he refrained. Maybe it was Loreleth being so in love, maybe it was the music, maybe it was E'mel and all his adorable charm.... But maybe... maybe he could be a little brave.

His arm that was against the others waist shifted; tightening around the others waist, bridging any distance between them. Unlike E'mel though, the poor man had no idea how much longer the song would continue, so it was disappointing when the music ended.

Well.

So much for that.

"Tch," he grimaced, before letting his arm drop. "Guess I was gettin' too cozy like." Clearly, destiny was telling him off, already. A shame he didn't even have an excuse like something strong to to drink. Then again, there was always Loreleth--who was giving him support, but also, washing him with a mix of heady passion.

Where his rider was experiencing some self-inflicted disappointment, Loreleth was in bliss. To hear Brieteth confess such a thing had the little round dragon absolutely enamored. His eyes whirled purple, and he wrapped around the other as best he could. How did I get so lucky? For as hard as it was to be apart, the blue adored every moment they were able to spend together. He was an anxious dragon, and felt things deeply; but no matter how bleak he felt, no matter how his hearts were shattered as friends and loved ones fell to Thread--there was always loyal Brieteth there, with a kind word, or loving thought, to help pick him up. If only they could never part.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:38 pm
E'mel unabashedly expressed his disappointment with the dwindling music with a deep sigh. "Shardit, should have slipped the harpers a few marks to repeat the middle refrain a few times," he laughed. But he made no motion to drop his own arms when J'lar did.

"Well, you said I could have as many as I like - so another?" he asked, at least not so shy as to not take the man up on the offer he had made. "There's still plenty of good songs to be had tonight and I'd rather enjoy them while there's still energy in them." After so many people would be fading out, the darlings of the hour would head off to sleep in their new barrack homes and who knew if many, if any, of the Westerners would stay much longer after that.

Brieteth didn't even want to think about that painful truth - that Loreleth would have to go, whether that evening or the next morning - instead completely content with being wrapped up in his beloved. You didn't have to be lucky, you just had to be you - and I just had to see you on your dad's head. Perhaps a little jab at himself for what had been, as far as he'd thought, a poor first impression. But memorable for what it was worth.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out