[PRP] chores? chores [haveli + melka]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm
It was time for evening chores and Haveli made quick work of reaching her destination. The sun setting always brought with it an unwelcome chill, and the woman pulled her cloak tighter around her frame as she made her way into the warmth of the stables. It always seemed toasty in here no matter the outside temperature - perhaps the runnerbeats and bovines had something to do with that - and no sooner had she stepped in than the cloak was shed. The cold of the air did bite faintly at her flesh, raising goosepimples, but once she got to work and raised her temperature they would fade in time.

The task for now was to make sure things was orderly, the ground was swept, and there was nothing left to chance. Animals needed fed and all hands would be welcome, especially if they needed to start bulking up in preparation for what was to come. Namely candidates, and a clutch, and hungry little dragonets in the not so distant future.

Grabbing a bucket and a scoop, she headed off to get to work and not delay any further.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:09 pm
Melka had been assigned to the stables this evening, and instructed to help feed the herdbeasts, bovines, ovines, and caprines. She didn't mind working with the animals, but vastly preferred working in the kitchens, or closer to a fire. While it wasn't uncomfortable in the stalls, it wasn't as sterile as the infirmary, nor as wiped down as the kitchens--still, it was clean, and it was often the Candidates jobs to help ensure it remained so.

With Pirouette settled on her shoulder, the young Courtesan spotted Haveli not far ahead. Chores were often assigned in a group, though it seemed like the two of them were tasked to do the feeding specifically. "Looks like we lucked out this time!" She mused with a smile. "We could have been stuck mucking out the pens or mending some fences." This was one of the better assignments, really--especially since the lowing animals seemed to know that dinner was about to be served.

houllow
I know nothing about this stuff so..-handwaving-

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Haveli turned towards the greeting and gave a bob of her head towards the woman, her brain searching quickly for the name to match. It settled on Melka, and Haveli was quick to keep that cemented - not that she need worry. With a clutch on the horizon it was all but certain that Candidate lessons would ramp up and she'd be seeing everyone way more than she was already comfortable with. They'd all basically be breathing the same air for each candlemark if her memory served correctly.

"Evening, Melka." Her greeting was a bit short, but then again she was focused on shoveling grain into a bucket to be dished out. When she did manage to get what she needed it was time to be a bit more polite. "I was raised on a herdbeast farm, so it's all the same to me. I do appreciate getting to be inside when it's this cold though." The mucking also would be somewhat indoors, but having to go about getting cleaned afterward would just be horrible. Motioning for Melka to take another scoop, she started on dumping a few bits into troughs of the waiting bovines.

They went at it like, well, animals, and Haveli sort of smirked. It was funny to watch them go all out, acting as though they'd never been fed in their lives. "Did you want to handle the bovines and the runners? I know the slop for the porcine reeks so if you'd rather I handle that bit I don't mind."

Uta
i almost typed utato in the quote hahaha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:15 pm
The whole place smelled of animal, so it was of great relief when Haveli offered to take care of feeding the porcines. While the Weyr primarily focused on keeping a sizeable herd of herdbeasts, there were a few animals the Weyr kept to supplement tithes and ensure they had some self-reliance. With Thread's return, the Weyr's herds were already substantially smaller than Turns prior, herdbeasts notwithstanding, and Melka suspected it wouldn't be too long at all before the variety was lost completely.

Well, be that as it may--it certainly wasn't her problem, nor was it her job to worry about it. If the Holders wanted the riders to protect them during Fall, then they'd be sure to ensure the Weyrs were well-fed.

At least they had their house in order...unlike the rumors she heard floating around concerning Western Weyr.

"I won't argue with that," she agreed with a rueful grin. "I trained at the Courtesan Hall myself, but I'm afraid dancing isn't going to get the work done any quicker. At least someone knows what she's doing!" She commended with a smile.

For all that Haveli was known for her sharp edges and prickly personality, Melka wasn't worried in the least. If they got on, wonderful--if not, then she'd only need to deal with her during lessons or chores. At present, this was working out great for her--she'd leave the feeding of the porcines to her companion, and work on getting the runners and herdbeasts their chow instead.

"I do miss the Western Continent winters. It still could get cool, but you'd have to go quite north, and high up in the mountains to get like this." While she appreciated the furs and layered clothing they were given to wear to account for it, it still wasn't the woman's favorite time of year.

"Looking forward to Anakumath's clutch?" She asked, pausing to give one of the herdbeasts a pat on the head as it inhaled its feast. Faranth knew everyone would be talking about it until the babies Hatched.
houllow

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:18 pm
Haveli poured out the small amount of slop for the beasts, thankful in her own way that the number of porcine the Weyr cared for was decidedly small. Why did they even have these beasts here, if not for some random celebration? Or had some random cothold given them to High Reaches in tithe? If she had known her chore companion had thoughts on it as well they likely could have spoken on it, but as such Haveli didn't find she enjoyed fishing for conversation topics with others. She was social enough, certainly, but only when it came to things she had a decent hand of knowledge in and it wasn't just a conversation to fill dead air.

She could however join in easy conversation about the upcoming clutch and everything else that came with it because it was a topic nearly everyone had an opinion on. She had plenty of her own, surprisingly not all of them negative or blunt, and the mood was decent enough that Haveli felt like speaking without snide comments or running mental commentary.

"You're welcome to dance to keep warm, if it gets a bit too cold for you. I've only been to Western once - the previous clutching they had. The...hmm, a maiden flight of a gold." It was a shame she couldn't recall the Gold's name from the top of her head but Haveli gave herself a mental pass considering everything that had been going on. Before she would have known the answer and cracked it out like a whip, sharp and to the point, but lately her thoughts had wandered enough to gather dust on the scrolls of knowledge. There would be time to dust them off soon, before or after the clutch depending on the outcome. "I remember the winters on our farm were cold and bitter, and my sister and I would often huddle in with the herdbeasts when the snow came."

Haveli smiled a little at the memory, of her and a small Arlie snuggled against a lowing herdbeast laying against fresh hay. Of puffed smoke that poured from their mouths, of pretending to be dragons flaming down Thread like champions. Looking back on it stroke a tiny flicker of pain, a small p***k where it need not be, and so Haveli moved on.

Thankfully the topic had moved towards the clutch as she had hoped, and Haveli pushed on to it. "I suppose I am, as much as the next candidate. Not particularly looking forward to the influx of chores we need to do to prepare for more candidates, but I appreciate not having idle hands around this time of the Turn." She finished pouring out the slop and smacked the bucket for flair, satisfied only when it looked like every last bit had come out. "And are you? Are you hoping yours is out there?"

What self-respecting Candidate would be hoping otherwise? If Haveli ever actually met someone who didn't wish to Impress she'd laugh herself Between.

Uta

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff