[PRP] whelp [ haveli + shaye

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm
Another Gold rose and another clutch was coming. It meant candidate chores would ramp up, she'd be busy doing them, and that was okay. Today was one of those "do the chores" day and Haveli had spent a good chunk of it just cleaning part of the candidate barracks that hadn't been used.

They needed to be prepared for the influx of folks who'd come to stand, right? Better now than later, and plus it was an easy enough task. Her limp had long cleared to the point where working wasn't a strain, so there was no reason to think she couldn't clean an entire room by herself.

Not that Haveli was alone of course. There were other candidates working just fine, and she slapped away at some dirt that had gathered in a corner.

Cleaning, cleaning.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:28 pm
At least Shaye hadn't been assigned to clean the latrines again -- there was some satisfaction in that. She had been given the fairly cushy Candidate chore of helping clean the barracks, and the task she had taken on for herself was swabbing the floor with the rattiest old mop on Pern.

Scrub scrub scrub. This part of the barracks had apparently not seen a mop in tens of Turns -- probably not since the Weyr was established, by the amount of grime she was mopping up. Shaye picked up her bucket of now-filthy water and trudged to the next section, not far from Haveli. She'd been worried about the girl, but her limp seemed to have improved, which pleased Shaye.

"So, wonder how long til she clutches," she mused to Haveli in passing. "And how many eggs she'll lay."

houllow

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:43 pm
Really? "It will happen when it happens but, if we go by the standards of literally every other Gold on Pern, we've a few months yet." There was a bit of an annoyed bite to Haveli's words as she slapped down more dust, wondering just how had it managed to get this dirty in barely two Turns. This specific area had been filled to the brim when there had been that double clutch, with candidates practically overflowing and bursting at the seams, but lately it seemed as though more and more of the area grew empty. Candidates aged out or simply gave up, leaving beds to rot from disuse.

Or, by nature, went on to Impress and then die anyway.

Whatever.

"And as for eggs, probably more than one. Safe to bet on that." Another thunk of her broom had dust fly up and scatter about. It seemed like the more she cleaned the dirtier it was going to get but hey - this was her only real chore for the day. Might as well spend all of it going over and over the same spot with the hopes something will change. "Or, I'm sorry, were you hoping it'd happen quickly and we'd have eggs before the Turn's end?"

Wouldn't be a bad way to celebrate, bringing the end of the Turn to a close with new life and new relationships. That really didn't sound entirely too awful.

tatterpixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:20 pm
"You don't have to be so snotty about it, y'know," Shaye replied with a bit of a bite to her own words. "You know as well as I do that it can vary between golds when they'll clutch after they're caught. Faranth's shell, I'm just trying to make some conversation to kill time."

She scrubbed the floor with renewed vigor, letting her foul temper vent onto the hapless stone floor. Shaye had been Standing as a Candidate for four Turns now, and it was getting hard to find something new to talk about with the other Candidates -- some of whom were newer than she was, some who had been Standing longer. She wasn't sure where Haveli fell in that range, and with the girl's attitude she didn't much care.

This was going to end in another fight, she just knew it.

houllow

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:38 pm
Haveli snorted a bit at the vigor that she witnessed, wondering if she should stop trying to knock down the dust if all that was going to happen was her making it harder on her new cleaning companion. The water on the dust would only serve to turn it to mud and the ratty object this new girl dared to call a mop probably would make it far worse before there was a sign of improvement. At this rate it'd be better to just dump the water bucket over and sweep it out, though her broom was also covered in muck and wouldn't help anything. She glanced at the filthy bristles and sighed.

No point in starting a fight.

For now.

"With a maiden Queen on her first flight, especially with a brown partner, it probably won't take that long. If we look to to the records of her sire and dam, also a brown and gold pairing, you have a better chance of guessing there." She flipped the broom down, so the bristles just faintly touched the floor, careful not to put too much pressure on it. "You could also say because of the pair there won't be that many eggs, or because it's a maiden flight there could also be a small amount. Either way they're having us clean these rooms just in case, though at the rate we're going it'd be better to just flood the barracks."

Who exactly had used this room last? She couldn't remember who it might have been, as the woman was still occupying the same bunk from the first time she'd come in. Her roommates had changed many, many times as they Impressed or aged out, but not her.

"If not flood, at least give us decent tools to work with. I'd have better luck using this to sweep the floor in the stables."

tatterpixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:29 pm
With the change, however slight, in Haveli's tone of voice, Shaye simmered down a bit. No use getting into another fight -- although it would have been a fun battle with each of them carrying what were essentially staffs. That thought made her smile enough to pop the Dimples of Ultimate Charm on her cheeks.

She listened as Haveli explained in great detail the probabilities for the new clutch to come; Shaye herself wasn't obsessed with lineage and such like some were, but it was a point of some interest. When the topic of flooding the barracks came up, though, that gave her ideas.

"Why don't we flood the barracks? I could dump this water on the floor, you shove it down and out with your broom, stirring up the filth, and I mop it up after you, and we'd be done just like that."

Haveli was right, though. They'd both have better luck sweeping the stables clean.

houllow

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:08 pm
"The reason we shouldn't do it is because there's no way for the water to drain, and unless you think we'd be able to get it all up we'd be left with moisture on the floor." Wet floors brought about mold and other troubles, though perhaps with the cold weather it might not flourish as much. The Weyr did tend to keep the candidate barracks warmed though so at the very least there'd likely be a smell.

But you know what? "....actually, let's try it anyway. It's not our fault they gave us shoddy tools to use and aren't we supposed to find new and fancy ways to make chores easier?" The bucket was kicked over rather unceremoniously, with Haveli stepping back slightly to prevent it from sloshing up and getting the hems of her long skirts.

Also, belated, the dimples of charm were either noticed and ignored, or not noticed at all. Either way Haveli was not swayed.

tatterpixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:30 pm
Shaye chuckled darkly as the bucket went over with a clatter, spilling its contents all over the floor. "Excellent. Start sweeping, and I'll start mopping." The Dimples of Ultimate Charm popped even harder, but she didn't care if they were noticed or not. She was almost beginning to like Haveli.

Quickly she began to scrub the floor with her battered mop, pushing more of the water down the walkway towards the entrance. She ignored swabbing the floor under the cots, as there would eventually be stuff underneath to hide any residual filth.

"Looks like it's working," she grinned at Haveli. "We'll be done in no time."

houllow

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm
Shaye may have been content with skimping, but Haveli wasn't. Even if they were taking a massive shortcut there was to be no full on overlooking of things, and so she made sure to get beneath the beds. Maybe in spite, since she saw her companion skip over the first set. Or maybe she just really wanted this place to be clean, who knows.

A few sweeps of her broom saw the underside of the cots swept, ready for scrubbing, and the woman smirked a tiny bit as she moved on to continue. Nothing would be done in half-a** if their progress was to get checked on later, and plus what if water had somehow managed to settle under there? Super careless to just move on and not exhaust all cleaning options.

"It was a good idea to dump the bucket then. Maybe we should bring it up to the Candidatemasters later as a possible method for future cleaning. It'd save time and effort, if done thoroughly that is." Haveli may have been calming down the past few months, but that tiny hint of pettiness still lingered.

tatterpixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:00 pm
Shaye caught the subtle (for Haveli) jab at her floor-swabbing and pulled a sour face. She didn't want to put in the extra effort, but then she thought for a minute: the Candidatemasters inspect everything. And if they tell them what they did, there would be an even closer inspection.Shells.

With a sigh, Shaye went back and scrubbed the half-bald mop under each cot, working her way down to where Haveli was working. Pausing to assess their work, she nodded. "Yeah, dumping the bucket was a good idea, wasn't it?" she boasted half to herself, having come up with the idea in the first place. "We'll definitely have to mention this to the Candidatemasters."

Seeing a small puddle forming on the stone, she mopped it up with extreme prejudice. Not on her watch.

houllow

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 am
Haveli watched Shaye bitterly work at the spots she'd missed with a sort of semi-smugness. It was always a joy to get what she wanted in a roundabout way, to slowly press others into doing the right thing. Right according to her own standards of course.

"I'll let you do the honors then, if you'd like. I may have mentioned flooding the area but you were the one who really pushed it home with using the bucket." Haveli normally would have worked to take the credit all for herself, but sharing it in this case might be the better option. It was unknown how the Candidatemasters would respond to literally dumping water all over the floor, so to have someone else step out in front as a shield against any wrath would be better. If it came out accepted then sharing would be allowed.

The room they were in was more or less done now, at least for their portion of it. There were, of course, other parts that needed to be cleaned but with a dirty broom how was she to knock down the dust off the walls without causing further problems? An issue had been discovered.

tatterpixie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:15 pm
Leaning against the mop, one foot crossed over the other at the ankle, Shaye regarded Haveli darkly. She didn't know how the other girl had managed to get her to scrub under the cots, but she was annoyed about it. Being coerced into doing something she didn't want to do wasn't very much fun. And now she was being thrown under the wagon.

"Yeah, fine, I can be the one to talk to the Candidatemasters." She knew she'd be the one to get in trouble if they didn't take to the idea of dumping the bucket all over the floor, and she didn't care at this point. After all, she was the one who had pushed for it -- may as well have been her idea in the first place.

She noticed Haveli eyeing the walls and corners, which were almost as filthy as the floor had been. "Those walls, ugh." Straightening, she reached for the bucket. "I'll get some more water so we can scrub the walls..."

houllow

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:49 pm
"Please do. I'll see what I can get done with what I have, provided the broom doesn't cause too much damage. I probably should have gone at it more before, or..." She paused, thinking. "Maybe this would be a better case of dipping the broom in the water to get it wet and then scrubbing?"

Throwing water at the wall would just make the floor soaked, but then again they were going to need to wash the floor again after clearing the walls. This was the first step they should have done and Haveli faintly chided herself for not thinking that far ahead. Normally she'd be about ten steps from this spot by now, but today it seemed her mind wasn't all there. Perhaps the thoughts of the upcoming clutch were far more distracting than she originally thought.

tatterpixie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:57 pm
Shaye studied the filthy walls, rubbing her chin with one hand. "You're probably right," she finally replied. "The best way to go about it would be to wet the broom then scrub the walls with it. We should have really done the walls before the floor, I guess," she finished with a shrug, having the same thought as Haveli. "But here we are."

She looked at the mostly-empty bucket in her hand and sighed, then trudged outside to get more water. This was a bother -- the Candidate barracks hadn't been as clean as they were getting them when she had arrived! Why did they have to make them virtually sparkle now? There was nothing special about this clutch, just another maiden flight for a young queen...

...Which got her thinking about eggs again. Maybe she could sneak away after she and Haveli finished this task and nose around to see if Anacumath was anywhere near clutching. Despite how many clutches she had stood for, she couldn't help but get excited for each one.

Trudging back into the barracks, she went to put the bucket down -- then thought a minute. "If we toss little bits of water at the walls and then scrub, we'll be done faster," she mused aloud. "We'll just have to do the floor again, but that's no big deal, now that we know the trick."

houllow

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:35 am
"I'd rather not have to do double the work, but if you're willing? Fine." Haveli enjoyed the satisfaction and praise that came with a job well done but she didn't always like the effort required. She'd already somehow managed to get Shaye to clean under the beds once with her slight movements, but having to repeat actions herself was beyond her desires. "It's my fault for not finishing the task first. Got ahead of myself, got a bit too excited, but lesson learned or whatever else it is that F'dral and T'nus like to say."

She knew exactly what they liked to say, enough to quote it by heart with the lessons she devoured in an effort to excel, but she also knew she needed to sound a bit more relatable to the candidate near her.

"I guess the thought of the clutch has me a bit more rattled than I first thought." It was a small fact that Haveli was willing to admit, a small bit of weakness she was willing to show. "Standing for the clutches of both parents, just to stand for their children as well is sort of." Something that literally everyone who was a candidate experienced, obviously. She had a few Turns left before she aged out but there was always just this strange feeling to think that she could be rejected yet again by several generations in a row of dragons, not just one or two.

Several.

tatterpixie

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces