Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:29 pm
As with most things food related, Beelim had been thinking about the tea and cake he'd planted into his own mind a few sevenday before. Sure, he'd thought about other foods that came and went - occasionally one of his brothers would reward one of his particularly potent cravings from outside of the Weyr with a special trip to retrieve it for him. But the tea had lingered as a mostly unknown.

He'd never had it, after all.

The occasional chore down in the kitchen, especially when he wasn't condemned to solely peeling tubers (though a few of his fellows hadn't let him live his venture for buns down) left him particularly inclined to daydream, even as he sliced and measured and tended to pots that he really had to fight to keep from partaking from himself to 'taste test'. That was a slippery slope. It was a serious temptation.

Dinner would be coming soon, however, and then all of the candidates would be ushered from their chores to go eat. That small wait was going to feel like eternity, though.

Mr Cheri
Let me know if you want it tweeked!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:37 pm
User Image

Today Yunara had been assigned to cook a hearty herdbeast stew. Humming to herself, the lower caverns worker removed the lid from the stew, and checked the consistency. It was coming along nicely, the scent of fine herbs wafting up from the steaming pot. So absorbed was she by her present activity that she hadn't noticed a familiar face among the helpers today.

Perched in her usual spot, Avarice had wrapped her tail loosely around Yunara's neck. She, however, was not oblivious to Beelim's presence. With a soft hiss, the queen raised her wings when he seemed a little too near. Not so close as to be a real threat to her beautiful stew, but... sssss. The flitter did not approve, thank you very much.

demon_pachabel

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:55 pm
Beelim had been carefully checking the fire - not too hot, but not letting it burn down to nothing. He'd really been amazed to see how many of his fellows just let things burn and boil over because they didn't know how tokeep cooking embers fed just right. Another small piece of kindling was added to the side when he heard a rather familiar hiss.

"Are you still mad about the buns?" he asked Avarice frankly, as though he would receive an actual answer from the firelizard. "And hello, Yunara. Is this what you're tending to today?"

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:30 pm
"Ssssssss!" said Avarice, aggressively hanging from Yunara's back so that she could threaten Beelim. Not that a smallish queen firelizard was a threat to a large Candidate, but... Avarice was definitely trying to be fearsome. "Hsssst." How dare!

Clearly the firelizard had not forgotten who had taken several buns last time (each belonging to her, of course,) never mind that she'd been given a portion from them. He was not forgotten, nor was he forgiven. So agitated was the flit that Yunara glanced up, startled, and only just caught what the man had said.

"Oh! Yes, this is part of what I'm tending. We don't get just one task in the kitchen, you know." The day she'd met Beelim she'd baked a number of batches of buns, along with the cake, but she'd also helped with savory dishes as well. No one ever got assigned a single task... though maybe Candidates did, come to think of it.

demon_pachabel

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:47 am
Despite the fact he shouldn't have felt like Avarice was a threat, due simply to size differences, Beelim still kept a cautious eye on her. Teeth and claws still hurt, after all.

"Oh, I didn't...I.." he frowned slightly, "I just thought it was a nice coincidence since I'm working over here today too." While he'd made some friends all around in the kitchens between chore assignments and that he was a bit of a sad canine that begged for scraps perhaps a little too often (oh, one of these days Padmia would have him for it), he'd not seen Yunara too much since their last conversation over buns. "Cooking is a little more exciting than peeling tubers."

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:56 am
Whatever emotion Beelim was currently wrestling with, Yunara would have been surprised to be its cause. After all, she hadn't meant anything by what she'd said. "Ah. Yes, I've been working on this stew for awhile today," she told him. There'd been the chopping, of course. All the preparation and so on. Stews took a longer time to cook than soup, which was fine by her. Not that she could ever just do one thing.

"Ssssssssss," Avarice informed Beelim, who was a little too close to her person (although not close at all, really.) Also, the way he was eying the stew was suspect.

Yunara reached back and retrieved said firelizard, tucking her beneath her collar. That could sometimes calm her down, if nothing else would work. "True, I don't think many people find peeling tubers to be a riveting pastime." Then again, there were definitely worse activities, to be sure.

demon_pachabel

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:05 am
Honestly, Beelim liked the cooking time about stews - yes, he would impatiently linger for them to be ready to eat but they had always made the house smell good for hours. "It's smelling wonderful," he said decisively, though he said that about most things. His stomach gave an appreciative burble to confirm his words.

"It's a necessary one and I know it is better to have a handful of candidates at it in shifts than have to do it yourself all the time." the poor kitchen staff would have had so little time to prepare everything else to feed hundreds of hungry bellies if they were stuck on tubers all day. "It's helping I can actually see."

Mr Cheri
CRIMES.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:09 pm
Suddenly, Yunara was reminded of times in a kitchen much smaller than this one. A single oven, a single stove... and two people she could never replace. Blinking rapidly, she leaned over the stew, taking a sniff. Cooking alongside others was very familiar indeed. "It's Padmia's recipe," she said, deciding that it was time to shift over to the bread in the oven. From the smell of it, it was getting close to ready.

Avarice left Yunara's shoulder to hop onto the ground. There, she stared balefully up at Beelim. It was as if the flit was daring him to steal the stew on her careful watch. "Ssssssssss."

demon_pachabel

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:27 am
If Beelim noticed Yunara's emotional response, he didn't bring attention to it but did take a quiet note of it. But before he could say much in response to her comment about the recipe, she was off to check on something in the oven. Which left him staring down a little gold firelizard that had made her opinion of him known time and time again.

"My mothers would have loved having you on watch," Beelim commented, mostly to himself as he imagined the two women at their, unfortunately, futile efforts to keep their (almost) youngest from sneaking samples and snacks. However, as they had not deterred him neither did Avarice - and he wasn't even trying to get a sneak-taste of the stew. He, instead, took up the spoon to give it a careful stir.

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:31 pm
This was completely unacceptable. Avarice gave a threatening hiss, diving to n** at Beelim's boots. He had crossed beyond rudeness and into the territory of unforgivable. Raising her wings up high, she let Beelim know that his behavior was not okay! "Sssssssss!!!"

Glancing back quickly when she heard Avarice's hiss, Yunara made a clucking noise with her tongue. "No, no, Avarice. No, we don't need to bite any boots. He's just stirring the stew, you silly." Abandoning the oven, Yunara reached down to scoop her firelizard up. "I'm sorry. I've tried to train her, but she's very territorial." That, and the queen seemed to be prone to holding grudges. Oh dear.

demon_pachabel

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:07 am
Oh, woe were his boots - while Beelim had been startled by the lunging and biting, his boots were fortunately not much worse for wear.

"She didn't hurt me or do much damage to my boots," at least, not from what he could tell at the moment, "so it's no harm done." Even if it was clear Avarice didn't think so, what with all of her hissing and grousing about the whole ordeal. If he'd actually been trying to sneak (and he'd been tempted many a times in this kitchen, sigh) she would have made a decent finger-biting guard.

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:54 pm
With Avarice threatening Beelim from her shoulder, Yunara took over tending to the stew. It honestly really didn't need much tending at this point. However, it couldn't hurt to settle the situation a bit. "She seems to think you're a thief," she informed Beelim. For whatever reason, her firelizard queen had decided that the young man was not to be trusted. It was a little ridiculous, honestly.

At least she'd managed to get the oven sorted out. "So, I take it you've been assigned to work on the savory food today?" she asked, shifting from the stew to a cutting board full of vegetables. With a repetitive task like this one she'd definitely find it easy to hold a conversation. And maybe, just maybe, Avarice wouldn't mind too much.

demon_pachabel

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:23 am
She seems to think you're a thief.

Beelim chuckled a little at those words. "My mothers would agree with her instincts," he confessed. "Not that I'm a thief but that one needs to keep their eyes on me where there is food," his stomach twisted to remind him he'd not indulged in any of the food that was obviously all around him for him to eat. He put a hand over it gingerly with a frown.

"Yeah. Doing a little more cooking and a little less peeling. Just trying to keep the fires going while I wait on some things to smoke," he'd been trusted with preserving some older cuts of meat, which had been salted and after some low smoking would at least stretch out another sevenday - perfect for, well...stews or the occasional nom-on-the-go.

Mr Cheri

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff