Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[PRP] Shapes and Words (Olliah/Marty + Dergs)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:50 pm
Marty would have thought that whoever wrote these records would have had a little bit more time put into making sure their handwriting was legible - she'd already had half a mind to simply rewrite the sheet to make sure it would end the line at her. But with the supplies she was comparing it to right here, she didn't have time to do that, check the record, and hope nobody needed anything in how long it would take.

You could after you are done, Anakumath offered, knowing it had been considered, but pulling the thought up as a redfruit of motivation to keep her beloved's thoughts from getting too frustrated over penmanship. Marty was content to leave it there, but it was an awfully long list and she found herself getting frustrated over it a few times.

I know not everybody is trained on mark-making for map making and writing, but did nobody check this? Is this a 2? Is this a Z? It is a really weird 5? Marty offered the shapes to Anakumath who, frankly, couldn't read as she was a dragon and only answered with love and patience. Marty was simply in one of her moods, and it put a look on her face of more irritation than the task at hand ever actually called for.

Uta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:10 pm
The Record Rooms and general archives were a familiar sight to Olliah. She had spent Turns familiarizing herself with the rooms, digging up old records, updating births, deaths, transfers; writing new clutch charts, copying clutch charts, updating clutch charts, and re-writing them. Then there was the constant update of supplies, auditing lists, making note of current stock, and comparing tithes over past Turns and historical records. The weyrwomen of the Weyr were often tasked with the domestic side of running a Weyr, and though it chafed their current Weyrwoman, Olliah found it enjoyable--if not tedious--work.

Someone had to keep tabs on supplies, housing, and work with the Headwoman to ensure there was enough to go around; while Zheria helped delegate work, and handled much of the politics of the Weyr, or favored recording charts and notes in her weyr, Olliah didn’t mind taking on much of the work and delegation herself…. Nor did she mind working in the archive rooms. Sometimes it was just easier than coming and going.

With a stack of old records to return, Olliah made her way down the steps, and found Martirae downstairs. She vaguely recalled having tasked Alumet and Marty to assist Padmia with some stockroom and tithe audits, a few days prior. While she was glad to see Martirae at work, Olliah did pause when she saw the expression on the girl’s face. Was that anger or irritation? Frustration? Maybe a little bit of both? She didn’t want to assume anything--and while she hated to disturb the girl in the middle of her work, she also didn’t want to simply assume she was fine. That wasn’t her way, after all.

“Martirae--Forgive the interruption but are you quite alright?” Olliah asked, brows immediately knitting in concern.

Her alarm was enough to rouse Fianth, who was more than ready to reach out to Anakumath if it seemed prudent.

”demon_pachabel”

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:25 pm
She liked to think herself alert - and Martirae was aware she wasn't alone with the penmanship she was squinting at - but she also was a degree more absorbed in it than caring who had walked in. At least, not until she spoke up. Looking up from the offending mark on parchment, Marty offered Olliah a lopsided frown. It was relaxed, rather than serious, but the scrunch of her nose continued to telegraph her general feelings.

"Good day, Olliah - I'm admittedly just grousing to Anakumath over penmanship. She's sympathetic, at the very least." At this, Martirae's shoulders relaxed and she even dared laugh a soft, bare moment of a laugh at what she was saying. Surely the older woman would understand. Unless Marty was the only person who tried to explain writing and letters to a dragon who simply just didn't have a need for such things. Ah, to just be able to just send thoughts between heads like she could with her beloved.

Not that Martirae particularly liked the idea of anybody else up in her head.

"I just want to be precise, since it matters, and the idea of guessing letters and numbers because they weren't written clearly got me a little heated." Not that anybody but her dragon had been privy to it. But Martirae had a reputation for high standards, so perhaps it wasn't all that surprising.

Uta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:43 pm
Olliah smiled warmly and gave a small nod of understanding when the junior weyrwoman spoke. "The handwriting on some of these records is near illegible, I'm afraid--though some of these records are also ancient. I've come to believe these things have a mind their own, and start smudging, fading, or bleeding just to get re-worked." How many gold riders of Turns past had walked the same corridors, and touched the same records? The records rooms spanned quite a few caverns, but Olliah always enjoyed the work. It was living history, despite the frustration of having to confirm numbers, or transfer archives to newer hides. She especially enjoyed seeing the clutch history of all the golds, bronzes, and browns; tracing back Fianth's history, or the history of clutch parents, was always a joy--even if it was bittersweet. How many times had she had to note the passing of a rider or a dragon?

It was a tale as old as time, especially with Thread's return.

"If you need any help cross-checking numbers, I've a few archives that might help, depending on the Turns in question," she suggested with smile. After spending almost twenty Turns in the records room, she had found a few surprises tucked away. Different Weyrwomen required different handling of records--and some had been particularly obsessed with a census, audit, and general Weyr numbers, which sometimes proved useful in a pinch.

demon_pachabel

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:04 am
"I'd believe that," Marty may not have had turns and turns underneath her proverbial belt in the records room, but she'd come to enjoy the preciseness of keeping logs. It scratched an itch very similar to her map-making and the occasional map was nice to scour over as well. For that reason, this had not been the first time she'd been caught sneering at a smudge or mis-mark of some variety.

"I've been going over 3491," she paused, waiting to see if Olliah would have a comment on the distant turn - it was before Zheria's time, going back into the Weyrwoman previous. She was simply wanting to keep things correct despite age. Because of age. Even if the records held less and less dragons to know in them the farther back she looked. "It's half interest at this point." Like if she kept looking she'd find something that held personal permanence.

Uta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:07 pm
Olliah was glad that the young woman didn't seem to begrudge the work at hand. The records the Weyr possessed was near countless in number, going all the way back to ancient times. Though the records were re-recorded, and originals kept as safe and undisturbed as possible--they were sometimes needed, particularly when copies might be ruined, or uncertainty would arise. Time and age would still cause the parchment to deteriorate, and in some cases, the originals were long destroyed. Keeping the records in order was a full-time job; not just for tracking clutches but also to keep the history.

Some weyrwomen were less keen on assisting than Marty.

Striding over to where the woman sat, Olliah did peek over her shoulder to take a glimpse of the type of record-- whether it was a clutch chart, wing chart, historic record, census, or audit. "I do enjoy some of the older records--imagining the histories and stories of the men and women who strode these very same corridors and rooms." It helped Olliah remember that she was part of something bigger than herself; no matter the personal politics of the time. To see the stains on some of the hide, and wonder what might happened; a spilled drink, the shaky hand of someone either older on in Turns or distressed; rips, tears, smudges, misspelled words, surprise notes on the pack of parchment.

"Almost a hundred Turns ago. How things have changed," she mused, heading over to a different area of the room, clearly on the hunt for some supplemental records.

demon_pachabel

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:03 pm
"Almost," Marty agreed - but it felt so close knowing that it was the turn that Zheria's predecessor had become Weyrwoman. A single Weyrwoman away. Three golds from her own Anakumath. One lifetime. A rooted history that Martirae almost felt at odds with when her heart was torn asunder by a thread pulled taut between High Reaches and Western.

She watched Olliah, cautiously moving to follow to watch. Learning the trick would at least spare her having to ask Olliah every time as to her secrets of the records without a look of her own first. But the way she stood and watched admittedly was....

"I feel like I'm shadowing you all over again," a little Weyrling weyrwoman-to-be still as lost in High Reaches as she felt in some part of her bones now.

Uta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:50 pm
The records room was, thankfully, fairly predictable--the records didn't often move around, though they were periodically checked out or re-categorized. It was rare for the records to go too far, particularly ones far from the current Turns. Olliah didn't mind Martirae following at all, and was pleased she chose to join her--not all weyrwomen were as practical.

"I suppose the return of Thread makes it feel like a completely different era," she confided. "But I remember Lisella, and what the Weyr was like her under leadership. A traditionalist if ever there was one, though quite hands off in terms of interest with the Holds and Halls. A bit spirited, even near the end," she mused aloud, tracing her finger down a row of archives. A far different sort of leader than Zheria, who would be far different than whoever rose up to take the reins.

She did pause in her digging through a group of archives to look over at Martirae and smile. "I don't mind," she confessed, her words laced with warmth. "It's one of my favorite aspects of gold rider weyrlinghood, getting to be more hands on; getting to share what I know, and better get to know the young ladies I'll be working with. You all are so unique, such individuals." Never mind that, by the time the dragons were graduated and tapped into wings, the newly-minted gold riders were quick to spread their wings and rarely kept up the relationship.

"It was always a pleasure getting to work with you and Anakumath. You always were so practical" Doubtful that Martirae needed much these days--she was already a capable young woman with a fully grown queen. She had a good head on her shoulders, and was bound to make a solid asset to the Weyr.

"Your family must be proud."

demon_pachabel

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:13 pm
Marty's frown was near immediate, even before what Olliah had said had been caught and held at arm's length. It left her with a look as though she'd just been slapped, wild and alarmed. Leboya would have been proud of her. That much was plain to her. But her father lingered over her like an unanswered question. The expression was blinked away and the surprise soothed into place. She'd not comment on it.

"I would rather work hard to accomplish something than have it handed to me. That's all," she'd not pretend she wasn't special in some way for it. Not every hard working girl impressed a dragon. Not every girl was chosen by a gold. "I can appreciate that there are things to learn and find if I keep going at them."

Uta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:47 pm
If Olliah noticed the expression change, she gave no indication--or at least, tried to school her expression in turn. She was keeping half an eye on Martirae, but the other eye on the records, so only caught the tail end of the look--and it had looked pained. Though she was concerned she had misspoke or said something to upset the young woman, she couldn't quite piece together what... and wasn't sure it was right of her to ask.

Perhaps it was better not to pry. Marty's expression changed so quick, perhaps she meant for her not to see.

"Well, the Weyr is all the better to have you here," she spoke gently. "Not everyone has such an out look, for better or for worse." Even among the gold rider, there were some who enjoyed getting their hands dirty, and others who hardly knew the definition of responsibility. High Reaches values fell somewhere in the middle. A metallic rider was often tapped to be responsible, but had much more leeway in terms of consequence; where a chromatic rider might have little expectations, they also could easily be pegged a scapegoat. It wasn't necessarily ideal, but until the entire institution changed--which was unlikely--it was the best they could do.

Though she did look back at Marty, brows a bit more knit than earlier, she decided not to draw more attention to the girl. "Ah, but look at me--talking when I'm sure you'd rather be working." she smiled, giving an apologetic dip of her head. She didn't know what line she'd crossed--she had said quite a bit--but perhaps her apology would smooth things over. "I think these might suit your needs. It looks much like a Candidate record for the season, but near the end, there's a small log listing who Impressed who from what season. You'll likely need to hand count, as it's listed only in the individual Candidates records, but you might be able to better piece together the numbers. It should be for that specific clutch Turn. They seemed to do it this way for about ten Turns here, five Turns there, with gaps in between--not sure if it was a specific record keeper or just a style of the times."

demon_pachabel

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:08 pm
Whatever defenses Martirae had thrown up, they dropped when it became obvious that Olliah wasn't going to pry - either on purpose or because she hadn't noted that lapse in expression. "I have found many good things for being here. It feels like a fair exchange," she had friends, she had Anakumath. Only one of those things had existed back at Western. Still, she couldn't help the longing for home at times.

"I don't mind - it is insightful and talking has been helpful. More helpful than trying to guess at smudged ink or poor penmanship," and it was actually comforting to have to take the long route. "Hand counting will just make it feel like I actually did something worth leaving my own mark upon the others." Who would read those marks in the future and wonder as Olliah did about who they were and what they shared together.

It was romantic, in a way. Like a map started by mother and carried on by daughter. Each little bit adding up slowly to something whole and hopefully meaningful.

"I'm sure if we checked records of other sorts around the time we could guess to the answer. But that may be a project for another day, no matter my curiosity."

Uta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:41 am
Olliah's smile returned as Marty continued to speak. "There's nothing quite like Impression, surely... and I agree, what you give up is worth what's gained; but even after all my Turns here, some days I do think about everything sacrificed just to be here." With her mother dead, and her father a shell of a man, Olliah and her older siblings had helped do much of the rearing. Though her family had given her her blessing when Searched, she had never been able to return, and visits from her siblings, nieces, and nephews were few and far between.

She was hardly in their lives. And though Fianth filled up her heart, there were still some aches that would never, truly be soothed -- at least not by the endless love and devotion of a dragon.

"I have no doubt that we'll all be grateful to get these records updated--and with accurate numbers. No one will need to guess in the Turns to come with your fine writing, as you well know!" She mused, ever sincere. Not every goldrider came with legible writing, after all.

demon_pachabel

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:50 am
"I don't know if I'd consider anything I left behind to be a sacrifice," Martirae had never considered 'sacrifice' to be part of candidacy, being Weyrborn, so that word held her attention tighter than it may have in any other context. There were certainly those who had given up something to be at a Weyr, but so many stories seemed to hold the chance as an upgrade to their situation.

"Well, I'll do my best to get these all in order for sure. I know there will be someone in the future who will appreciate having all this. Even if it's out of curiosity to look at the names of people and dragons they've never met and wonder who they were." She'd have been lying if she didn't have that same little ounce of curiosity when she saw certain names from times far before her. Golds who went on to parent different lines. Names of candidates-turned-riders that were just similar enough to other ones she could try and ponder if they were related.

Trying to trace her back through history through unspoken lines.

Uta

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff