Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:46 pm
User Image

Spring was in the air, and while it was still quite cool high up in the peaks of High Reaches Weyr, there was a promise of warmth upon the winds. The ice and snow that covered the mountain tops were beginning to melt, and much of the Bowl was covered in a mix of mud, slush, ice, and snow. Long gone was the beauty of a snow capped mountain and instead, there were puddles and mud found in most places. Boots were a must for the residents that hurried about the Weyr, and mud was being tracked everywhere.

No one seemed quite as muddy lately as the Weyrs newest weyrings. The weyrlings weren't yet flying, which meant both rider and dragon were stuck spending much of their days in the soggy Bowl. Between marching and drilling, or the quickly-growing dragons tussling and playing in the thick of it, by the end of the night both rider and dragon were practically caked in the stuff.

This afternoon was no exception.

It was a rest day for Ch'el and Vardoth, and the boy was determined his blue get a good scrubbing. While he didn't relish stepping into the half-frozen weyrlake, he also had no desire to risk Vardoth's precious blue hide. He hadn't forgotten his checkeup as a weyrling, hadn't forgotten the ugly crack that had formed along his shoulders hidden between his wings and smallest neck ridge. He'd been devastated, and had taken the wound seriously. Bathing and oilings had become extra thorough, and it was something the man hadn't forgotten even all these months in.

So it was, Ch'el was trudging his way through the mud, trying to take care of the worst of the puddles and slush. While it was as cold as it had been, there was still a chill in the air. Bathing Vardoth would become substantially more fun when it wasn't so sharding cold--not that he'd ever complain or deny his the longest soak he wanted. "You din' have to hop in the puddles, Var," Ch'el spoke, though there was no true ire in his words. He watched as his blue trotted next to him, jumping in the mud from time-to-time, giving a small, joyful warble.

It will all be washed soon enough. And then we'll be just as muddy by the time we make it back. The little blue exclaimed, equally excited by the prospect of a swim, as well as playing once again in the mud.

While Ch'ell knew it to be true, such was the life of dragonriding. If he had to bathe Vardoth everyday it wouldn't be a sacrifice. He had found his, and he would do anything for the blue beast.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:45 pm
User Image

Khazariath was much less inclined to jump into the puddles as he and His made their way around them - the bronze taking careful, graceful steps around them before pausing and allowing D'rok to brace a hand against him to make similar jumps. They'd not been entirely successful, but there was some fun in that as well - it wasn't as if both dragon and boy hadn't had their own fill of mud beforehand.

Which was why, as far as he'd guessed, his brother was so enthusiastically romping about in the puddles. "It's like trying to stay dry in the rain, really," D'rok said, earning a look that was tinged with yellow from Khazariath. The boy could feel his inner dialogue - not everything could be indulged in just because you'd already knocked the cup over. He idly scratched along his dragon's neck, urging him along a little faster to see if they could at least catch up with Ch'el and Vardoth.

"Looks like he's going to make this a long bath!" he called out to the bluerider, if only to catch his attention, while his dragon carefully maneuvered around the puddles to minimize his own damage.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:39 pm
Ch'el glanced behind at the voice, and offered E'rok a quick wave and small crooked smile. Before he'd met Vardoth, the dark skinned man had looked upon most everyone with suspicion and mistrust. He kept himself aloof and unapproachable, primarily due to the hardened walls spending ones life in a mine of Nabol could create. But Vardoth had broken them down upon Impression--anytime the fear, anxiety, and uncertainty of a strangers intent, or trauma welled up, Vardoth was there to keep such negativity at bay. Like water to fire, the shock to his system, to his emotions, was more than Ch'el could resist.

It was easier to trust now, easier to offer a smile--and whenever Vardoth was involved, you could bet there was some sort of smile near. His fellow weyrlings in particular had gotten the brunt of Ch'els newfound ease. Impression was a powerful thing--but he wore it as well he could.

"You got that right." He barked with a small, rough laugh. "He always takes long baths tut he gon' make sure this one's extra so. That mud's caked so thick he gon' need a full candlemark just to soak." And that meant a full candlemark of standing around in slush and mud.

Ch'el noticed how Khazariath seemed to move around the puddles, and gave Vardoth a thump on his side. "Why din' you do that?" He demanded of his blue, though there was nothing but love and adoration mixed in his words. He didn't mind how Vardoth made it to the lake--but a little teasing was certainly par for their relationship.

Vardoth, for his part, craned his neck and sent nothing but warmth and fondness to the bronze. Khazariath--how nice to see you this fine day. I hope you and Yours are well? His joy was pure. He wasn't a shy dragon, for all that he could be a bit too relaxed and a little bit lazy.

To Ch'el he added, I'm not near as graceful as all that. But there is mud enough to go around, and a lake wide enough to share. We'll both be clean by the end of it, so why shouldn't I have as much fun as possible making my way to the lake? As if to prove it, he did give a little hop over a near puddle. Heavy as he, he still wound up splattering a good bit of mud and slush.

"Ok, ok,--just get to the lake quick before we're just as badly covered!" Ch'el exclamed. Vardoth honked in amusement, blue eyes twinkling and whirling brightly with mirth. Glancing over at E'rok, he cleared his throat. "Maybe Yours can teach 'im how to get back without making such a mess, all proper like." That would certainly be the day.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:20 pm
"Long as the waters not too cold, I can't imagine a long soak would be all that bad," D'rok couldn't help but think of the trips his father and mother would go on after particularly nasty weeks to let their dragons soak in the hot springs and ease their muscles. Let's make a note to find out where that is so after graduation we can all go, D'rok noted privately to Khazariath, who earmarked it mentally.

Khazariath stood up a little taller - as though he didn't stand at full height at all times - when Ch'el drew attention to his actions, causing D'rok to reach out to brush a hand over his side. He almost didn't realize he'd done it until he felt the warmth of his dragon under his palm. "It's not going to spare him a long bath of his own - there's no joy in rushing it," D'rok was sure his fellow Weyrling would understand completely. He truly didn't know how anybody focused on anything besides their dragons once they had one. He never wanted the thrill to wear off.

The pleasure is all mine, Vardoth, Khazariath's mental voice never oozed emotion - too careful to play anything too obviously - but it was dusted with brotherly love all the same, It has been as good a day as many - which is fortunate. Lessons hadn't been harder than expected of them, though if they had been he and D'rok would have risen to it, and nothing particularly bad had happened. Still, he tilted his head, eyes whirling between blue and green as he watched the blue hop the puddle with amusement. Then, he carefully stepped around the next one to follow after him.

Ch'el's suggestion was answered with a smile as D'rok squared his shoulders up a bit more. "I can always ask," even as he spoke, he almost seemed to leave himself, already walking mentally across that shared space in his mind. "If he's going to soak for a while we could always walk the area and see what the clearest path is back..." rather than standing around waiting, that was.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Ch'el gave a little shake of his head, looking at the water a bit balefully. "Maybe it'll be better once we can get somewhere a right bit warmer," he noted. "I don't mind him swimmin' long, course not--but it's not quite so nice when it's half-froze over" Oh well. He had his layers, and knew not to spend too much time out in it even when he inevitably was splashed. The beach certainly sounded like a nice escape--not that he'd ever really been. Nabol was land locked, and as a mine kid, trips were less for pleasure and more for need. High Reaches Weyr was the farthest from Nabol he'd ever been.

He'd only been to a beach a few times when High Reaches Weyr had its periodic outings. There was so much of the world he hadn't seen, and while he was certain Vardoth would enjoy the trips, he also faced them with some trepidation. After growing up in the mines, water started to grow a bit frightening--primarily the deeper one got. He didn't know how to swim, and the few times he'd tried, he wound up sucking up more water than he cared to admit.

Maybe one day he'd learn, now that Vardoth seemed to enjoy his long soaks.

"So long as they's get to have fun 'n enjoy themselves, guess that's all that matters." And Vardoth knew better than to pull him in or splash when it was icy. A dragon might be able to withstand the cold of Between, but their riders were more than a bit vulnerable.

Vardoth, for his part, was more than happy to do just that. Though the much-larger bronze clutchmate behind him seemed to be a bit more formal, Vardoth didn't mind. He knew how to read a room, and would be careful to try not make Khazariath uncomfortable. Instead, he happily continued his trek to the water's edge. By the time he got to the shore, he'd given up on his jumping and instead took off into a quick and excited waddle. It's a pleasure to share your company, Khazariath. The water's nothing short of refreshing. With his wings half-spread, he couldn't help but give a few excited flaps, before diving entirely into the deeper, and still partially frozen, side of the lake. What thin layer of ice had been there was quickly broken up by his swim. Beneath the waters embrace, the dragon carried on with his conversation. Are you eager to take to the skies soon, brother?

Where once before, Ch'el might have glowered at D'rok squaring his shoulders and looking like he owned the place, ever since Impression his usual defenses had all but disappeared. He was less easy to be offended, and perhaps, a bit more well-adjusted. Vardoth's breezy nature kept him relaxed. "I might well need you to," he confessed. "Findin' a clear path back would be great. If it exists at all. Won't be long 'til they can fly back. And not long after that, 'til we can join' em."

Vardoth's talk of flight had reminded him of just how close it was until they'd all be airborn. And while that promise came with a whole new set of responsibilities and fears, Ch'el wasn't afraid. Even if his life was cut short, it was worth it. All those Turns in the mine, all those fears as a Candidate. If he and Vardoth somehow didn't make it, which the Weyr regularly reminded them of such possibilities, it didn't matter. He had Vardoth. He'd found His, and they would be together, forever, for always. He ... hoped they made it. He wanted to be a hero, be a someday, and keep those who couldn't help themselves safe. He wanted, more than anything, for Vardoth to Search so maybe they could save other kids just like him.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:29 pm
Khazariath cautiously dipped a foot into the water, as though he'd expected it to be anything less than the chill that he was used to. It was all he knew with his body, but across his bond there were warmer waters to be had and a not so small part of him longed for those waters that His would be willing to enter with him and not risk sickness for. It would, again, not be that time. Ah, but you don't have to share it, there is nobody else here to make it not be entirely yours, he answered, carefully wading into the chill water. Once it was deep enough, he pushed himself into the deeper waters, floating across the surface with his wings spread over it. Peering down into the water below him, where Vardoth swam with much more enthusiasm, Khazariath answered, I am. Mine assures me I am more than ready, and he'd never admit how much he'd needed the reassurance - that they would never be sent off into danger they'd not been prepared for.

"I know Khazariath would be happy to walk back with his brother, so let's take a walk while they swim," and keep from getting muddier for the trip back. D'rok sent another fond wave of love to Khazariath, who looked after him with a vaguely yellow-eyed look even as he was assured he wasn't being abandoned, and began to walk along the lake with an eye out for potential beginnings of less slushy pathways.

As a weyrborn kid to dragonriders, the only part of flying D'rok wasn't familiar to would be the shared bond during it - or Khazariath's inexperience. "Feels like we could just carry them over all this mud a sevenday ago," he said, offering a smile. "They're already switching places with us." And a part of him longed for being able to hold that little bronze hatchling in his arms again.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:03 pm
Vardoth gave a little snort beneath the cold water, bubbles welling up as he continued his deep water swimming. The cold hardly bothered him, and his eyes whirled a bright blue-green in humor beneath one set of his lids. Well, I had been sharing you with Mine and Yours just moments prior, hadn't I? And you well could have gone off to seek out our other clutchmates companionship. Regardless, the pleasure is no less enjoyable, shared or not. Vardoth did so enjoy spending time with his family.

Popping his head back up, he looked where the yellow-eyed Khazariath was looking, before reaching over to give him a little, affectionate boop with his nose. I bet you are! I can't wait to finally get to fly, even if it does sound like an awful lot of work. Mine is looking forward to it, so I won't let him down. As if to prove himself, he gave his wings a bit of a good flap, kicking up some water and slush while he did so, before flopping back into the water like some sort of breaching Deep One.

Ch'el had mixed feelings of leaving Vardoth, despite the blue's constant touch and assurance. Sometimes, he woke up just to check on Vardoth, and make sure the blue was very much still there, and still His. Charm was still a sweet and loyal companion, but his bond with Vardoth was so much more. Without him, he certainly couldn't go on. No matter how prepared for Impression he had been, the actual act itself had been overwhelming in all the best possible ways.

"Sounds good to me," Ch'el agreed. Vardoth was large enough that he didn't have to stay and help him with his bath--oiling could happen once he was back in the Barracks, certainly--provided he didn't start jumping through the slush again. "They grew so quick! I mean, I knew they would, after seein' Hatchlin's grow and graduate these past few Turns. Jes' seems different when theys your own," he confessed with a small sigh. "Vardoth sure got heavy quick--though it wasn't all muscle and size," he grinned. His beautiful blue had always been a bit heavy where Ch'el was nothing but skin and bones.

"I'm hopin' my straps turn out a'right," he confessed. "Craftin' stuff sure ain't my strong point. Bet you'll be a natural at it." He added with a nod. Not only was D'rok a bronzerider, which Ch'el knew meant someone who was extra-special, but he was a weyrbrat at that. Probably knew all sorts of things that Ch'el was clueless about.

demon_pachabel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:46 pm
"It really isn't the same - I don't think I have ever watched any dragon the way I have watched Khazariath," it was something far beyond love and D'rok couldn't help but wonder if that was what it felt like to look upon one's own child versus somebody else's. Not that he'd ever spent much time wondering about parenthood, but it was the closest he could even imagine to such an unspeakable bond. He shot Ch'el a grin at his vague comment about Vardoth being a big hefty. "He's solid for sure - it's a good quality." Better than having to fight to keep any of it on, right?

Not that he had such struggles, but it looked that way to him from the outside.

D'rok laughed nervously. "I admittedly didn't come into strap making as easily as I thought I was going to. Like, everybody makes their own and I just thought that meant it was easy but....." he fluffed the back of his head. "They're simple, but not easy," if that wording made any sense coming out of his mouth. "I don't doubt your's'll turn out fine, though." If the Weyr didn't think their Weyrlings could do such a thing, they'd likely not task them with it in the first place. But maybe D'rok was just confident that the Weyr wasn't trying to set them up for anything but success.

Khazariath half leaned into the boop, enjoying the familial affection. It was nice to know someone cared he was around. Flying will be less work than walking, what with the sky practically assisting the older dragons with it. At least, as far as Khazariath had observed. As Vardoth splashed the water about, Khazariath kicked his legs to keep from being pushed too far away from the blue. I imagine it will be similar to swimming.

Uta

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out