Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[PRP] Lakeside Reflections (Nadry/Rishemni+Dragons)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:33 am
Quote:
Menankith let out another heavy sigh as Nadry scrubbed away at his hide, moving obligingly when necessary so that she could get at every last spot.  Baths and oilings took a bit longer than usual, as she had to work mostly one-handed, but they had no shortage of time.  Menankith's wings were healing well, but Healers' estimates were thst he still needed another month before he could safely start flying again: part of the reason for all his sighing, to be stuck on the ground and useless.  It did give him more time with his poor Macuith, at least, which was the other contributing factor to his sighing.  As much as he needed a good scrub, it did mean time away from his beloved blue (and bronze, though Viandarth was the only one of the trio not currently grounded and, thus, subject to a more normal schedule).

"I know," Nadry said with a sympathetic sigh of her own, patting the ruddy brown hide between scrubs.  Being stuck on the ground sucked.

Quote:
(Rishemni) Palanith had joined her as soon as able once outside, and together the two were headed to the lake. Spotting the brownrider pair, Rishemni was pleased with her decision to change locations. "Hello there!" Youngling Palanith greeted, for there were few in the Weyr that were older than her, how are you today?

Quote:
As well as can be expected, Menankith answered, bearing the designation of 'youngling' without complaint. The gold wasn't one he was familiar with, but that could be said for many dragons who weren't his wingmates.Yourself?

"Afternoon," Nadry acknowledged with a nod, pausing in her task to assess their company.

Quote:
The old Gold sent a wave a affection to Menankith. I am doing fine this day. You are healing well. She had seen her share of injuries over her 92 years and knew he would be back in the air in a very short time. though maybe it seemed very long to him. What ails you so? Rishemni grinned. "Do you need some help? I am not as spry as I used to be but I still am able to help wash big ol' Palanith here. I could help wash..." She trailed off inviting an introduction and then remembered she had failed to introduce herself. "Oh! I am Rishemni of Gold Plananith!"

Quote:
Menankith was not quite so overly suspicious of the older gold as he might have been of one younger or in a high-ranking position, and besides that, his general fervor was a bit lessened with other concerns weighing heavy on his mind. I miss the sky, he responded after a moment to consider his words, And doing my duty.

Those were the least personal of his current concerns, at least, and safe for sharing. "Nadry, of Menankith," his rider offered in turn, also quietly wary but no less friendly for it. The offer of help was certainly unexpected. "I- Are you sure? I can manage, it just takes me a little longer than usual."

Quote:
Palanith nodded. The sky is a hard place to not be. She agreed. You will be returning soon though. And right now your duty is to heal so that you are able to be the best you are when you return to the sky. So you are doing your duty.

"I don't mind in the least. These clothes won't mind a soaking either. I suppose we could ask them, but we won't really get an answer. The real questions are, will he mind? And will you mind?" She wouldn't want to make the brown uncomfortable in feeling he had to accept help and hands on him he didn't want. Or the rider for that matter.

Quote:
Menankith shifted slightly and resettled his wings - not uncomfortable, but out of his element. I suppose that is true. I had not thought of it that way.

"No, we don't mind, as long as we aren't keeping you from anything important." To have the attention of an elder goldrider for any reason was...quite something, and not to be rejected lightly. Besides which, she really didn't mind the help, and it was kind of her to offer.

Quote:
You will find as you age, that duty comes in many forms and is sometime hard to recognize. But that is getting all philosophical. And Palanith really just wanted to gossip. She started thinking about how to change to topic to what was going on in the young dragon's life.

"Oh, I have nothing I have to do. I am retired after all. I show up for things as a formality if I have to. But really I just am that ornament you keep on the shelf and take down every once in a while for show." It was a bit of an exaggeration but it was clear this didn't bother the old lady in the least. "Now let's get this fine lad gleaming."

Quote:
Perhaps. I am sure that not everything will always remain the same. Duty, and other things as well. That prospect of a better future, and those who were dear to him, were what kept him so stubbornly settled at High Reaches.

"If you're sure," Nadry acquiesced with a nod returning to work as the other rider joined her. She was torn as to how to acknowledge her statement in a...politically correct way, and finally settled on, "Is that what it's like, to be a goldrider?"

Quote:
Time does change everything. Ah ha! Something that can be used to ask probing questions. Is there anything you might want to stay the same though?

"Only when you are 112 and well past any useful life." Rishemni laughed. "It is very different when you are young and able to actually do work. Now I would just get in the way." Rishemni set about carefully washing Menankith. "Now, what is going on in your life? Anything an old busybody can help with?" Rishemni was a little more direct than her dragon.

Quote:
No, came the flat answer, edged in bitterness and accompanied by a low rumble. Everything is wrong. Catching the gist of the conversation, Nadry warned, Careful, remember who you're talking to. I've already gotten us in enough trouble.

She asked. I only answered. The brown hated lies, no matter whom he was speaking to. "I doubt it," Nadry replied, again surprised by the goldrider's interest. "Half my problems are mostly my own fault, and there's nothing for the rest but time."

(Will fix the formatting later!)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 pm
Everything is wrong? Palanith repeated back. You would rather your rider be broken and unable to move? Though her words were biting, her tone was mild. You would rather be alone and unloved? A broken shell with no one who cares about you? The older dragon gave a look that said she could go on for a while.

Rishemni laughed. “That is true of most people’s problems though. I can’t think of anyone who isn’t responsible for half their own troubles. Doesn’t mean you can’t have help with them!”

Meepfur
Short posts staying short it seems.

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 am
That is not what I meant, the young brown rumbled irritably, lashing his tail and disturbing the water. I love Mine. I love my family. My friends. I hate the system that discounts anyone who doesn't shine, that dismisses anything 'less' than a brown as expendable, that allows for cruelty and harsh words because they are common. I hate that it enables one to, without consequence, wish death on another who has been injured because they think that the majority of the protectors of Pern are so expendable that they are not even worth the Healers' time. We are lives, not equipment to be discarded.

Catching another wave of her dragon's ire, Nadry turned apologetic. "Sorry, once he gets going he..." she made a vague gesture with her splinted hand. "Someone said something awful the other day, and he's still upset about it." Not that she wasn't, but she hadn't been without fault herself, so she didn't have much room to get righteous.

faesinger

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 am
Palanith had pushed the young brown on purpose and gotten exactly what she wanted. The real reason for his ire. You confuse the system with the views of a few. Were you to ask the Weyrleader he would tell you that those that do not shine are as important as those that do. They simply have different roles. A green or a blue cannot lead a wing as they cannot last a full Fall. But a green and a blue can flame Thread that a bronze would just get hit by. Palanith’s voice was calm and understanding. Idiots who thought themselves better than brown, blues, or greens, often caused pain and issues. They are not expendable. We need then desperately. Anyone who says otherwise are fools. Anyone who is cruel or harsh because they are common is cruel in nature and likely cruel to others as well. It is unfortunate that cruel people exist in the world.

Then Palanith got angry and her eyes became streaked with red. And any idiot who wishes death on another who has been injured will have consequences no matter the circumstances, if the right people knew of it. Sometimes the ones around are just trying to get the situation to calm down and don’t handle it correctly in their panic. Who was it? Even if all she could do was give the person a lecture that would make them feel two inches tall, she would do so. How dare they suggest that. If she could, she would get the person’s Wingleader involved though.

Rishemni waved a hand. “No worries, dearie. Palanith can handle herself. She is good with dealing with upset dragons.” She was catching the edges of Palanith’s anger as well and figuring something truly awful had been said. “You sound like you have had some trouble. If you even need to talk about it…” Rishemni offered. “Or if you ever just want to gossip you can come find me! I love a good gossip. I don’t get to hear enough about what the youngsters are up to these days.” She looked forlorn.

Meepfur

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:38 am
If anyone who says otherwise is a fool, then there are far too many fools in this Weyr, and they are allowed far too much leniency. That the gold acknowledged such vehemently colorist views as nonsense was reassuring, but his eyes held a solid orange and the rumble still boiled just below the surface.

Menankith snorted at the suggestion of consequences. His punishment is similar to Mine's, on the surface of it. Which was absurd! Whatever Nadry thought of it, he did not believe that His deserved to be so penalized, and that the other rider should have far worse. It was Yezmanth's.

"If you're sure..." Nadry fretted at her lip as she worked - not distrusting the elder rider, per se, but very used to watching her tongue, and doing her best to get Menankith to school his. Not because she disagreed, far from it, but she was well aware of the fine line that crossing too often might see them in real trouble. Of course, she'd barrelled right over it herself in spectacular fashion, so. There was that. "Things have been rough for everyone lately. It's my own fault for not just letting it go."

"I haven't heard much gossip myself lately, but then, the infirmary's not the best place for catching up with anyone." Just sitting and watching and worrying, day after day.

faesinger

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff