[PRP] clean slate [ renose + rizdax Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm
Of course someone had to help with the clean up. Of course they did, and of course it would have to be a candidate, because who else was lowest on the totem pole to be scrubbing down floors and throwing away errant pieces of garbage? Certainly not the creche workers, oh no, not when there were people better suited to the task. Renose swore to himself with all the fanciest words he knew as he continued to sweep, completely ignoring the fact he hadn't even remotely bothered to adjust the tone of his voice. He wasn't the only candidate forced into this, he knew, but at least he wasn't afraid of being vocal about it.

Let the others stew in silence. Renose of High Reaches was not content to work as a housekeeper when he had better things to do, like not this. Like anything but this, and maybe even something else. His words were mostly hollow as his actions were what had been dictated, his chores followed to the letter as described. Sometimes, to rebel, one had to follow orders. For now.

There was also the matter of it being extremely cold outside and at least the hall was faintly warm. Someplace where he didn't turn into an ice stick was preferable, even with chores. "Still, this sucks. Fancy people need to lean to be fancier herdbeasts when they eat."

Hattaki
set after the feast i hope it's okay!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 pm
Thanks to his years and years of cleaning for marks Rizdax was not at all worried about cleaning and the callouses built up on his hands kept the mops, brooms, and other cleaning equipment he used from hurting. Or at least hurting from how often he was using said tools, it seemed as though it had been hours and hours now and for all he knew it had been a few candle marks since he started. The feast hadn't gotten too messy, he had seen much worse, but all the same it was quite the operation cleaning it all up and he wasn't alone in his endeavors.

More than one Candidate was cleaning up after that feast, given the assignment by the Candidatemaster the day after had been... understandable. Riz wasn't shocked to find himself sweeping or mopping, he was pretty good at it. But it was colder than he expected, just about the only thing keeping him remotely warm was the fact that he was moving about so much and he was loath to stop and become cold. It was an inevitability though, as one of his fellow candidates was complaining at the top of his lungs and at length. Impressed as he was by the color of his words, Riz couldn't help but roll his golden eyes as he glanced sidelong at the taller boy.

Did he have anything to be complaining for? He was clothed and safe and not out in the elements with Thread to worry about like... No no, none of that. Riz shook his head sharply and swept up one of the piles he'd gathered, depositing it in the correct place before leaning on his admittedly larger broom and taking in the other Candidate. Did he know his name or was he just imagining that information? No, Riz was sure that he knew his name he just had to get it off the tip of his tongue.

"There were quite a few Candidates at the feast too. Plus it was either this or cleaning something else up." Rizdax shot in his direction before sweeping up another section of the hall, the brisk nature of the day making his shoulders shake slightly. He was going to have to ask around about getting his hands on a jacket of some sort. "We're all in this together at least."

Shivers continued to run down his body so he swept harder, here in the hall it was a lot warmer than it would be cleaning outside so he thanked his one lucky star for that. Plus the cold kept him from sweating like some of the others were doing.

houllow
*Thumbs up* ^^ Totally cool.

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:14 pm
Renose almost, just almost, let his eyebrows rise in surprise when he heard someone chime in, though the nature of their retort kept them pressed squarely above his eyes. While he was glad for conversation - cleaning in silence was just about as bad as cleaning in general - he didn't hear words of support or anything else like that. "If you're going to state your opinion," he started, turning towards the smaller teen, "why not just echo my own but in your voice? You'll sound smarter, trust me." His hands had paused from work, and he was leaning on the broom that was supposed to be moving.

He knew this other kid, not just from his appearance and reputation, but because Renose made it his business to know most everyone. Having friends in all places was good, having allies was better, and so something as simple as matching a name with a face had him ahead of many others thus far. Or so he liked to think, but maybe it just meant that Renose was a busybody and would one day pay for it. "Anyway...you're......uh...." Shaking, first off, but secondly. "You're that kid they brought in with Threadscore. Radish, right?"

It was not Radish.

Hattaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 pm
Having already begun to sweep in a different section with his back towards the other Candidate Rizdax stopped where he was when he heard that word. Was that supposed to be his name? Was that supposed to be funny? Glancing over his shoulder with narrowed eyes he saw that the other boy was already not sweeping anymore on top of his previous comments it wasn't a total shock.

"Why would I echo you? In the hopes of irritating the people around me that are helping? No. I don't think so. If you want help just ask." Riz swept faster and had a pile within moments, dust and bits of debris settled down about his feet and the boy stopped, looking about for the bin to sweep it into. Had he left it somewhere like a fool?

Turning he cast his eyes back towards the other boy again and his irritation nearly made him bristle. How did he know him at all and seriously how did he know that he'd been Threadscored? Sure, he always wore clothes that were far bigger than he could actually feel comfortable in and there were times that his scar would show before he could pull the collar of his shirt back to his neck again. If he just had a proper jacket this wouldn't even be a problem. But everything given to him was meant for a larger person and though he questioned how some of the girls around him were able to get clothing that fit them well, he wasn't about to voice the frustration to the Weyr that had done so much for him this far. It would almost feel like speaking out with rudeness and that was the last thing he wanted.

The first being a dragon of course. How would he get that by being kicked out?

Auburn eyebrows pulled together in a mood that he forcibly shoved away with anger. "It's not Radish, it's Rizdax. And what's your name? I honestly can't even remember it." What started out as an angry exhalation turned into a more modest statement towards the end, calm settling down on him as he felt his anger cover him like a second skin. Sure, he wasn't really angry, but this kid didn't need to know that!

Casting about for the dust bin, he grabbed the handle once he found it and turned back to finishing the job at hand. Nothing would get done if he didn't actually focus on working. Maybe this kid didn't want to work but he certainly did, it was the only thing keeping him warm!

houllow

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 pm
Renose looked offended. Scandalized, offended, and a whole host of other worse would have been perfect for describing the expression he wore just as surely as his snug jacket. Yes, Renose had noticed the teen's shivering and surmised it was from the cold, but by Faranth he was going to be upset that his name wasn't known first and foremost. "You...don't know who I am? Really? You're not just pulling my leg?" The teen scooted much closer to the retreating figure, watching him with narrowed eyes that quickly opened wide. The offense was gone, followed by extreme amusement. "Huh, and here I thought my reputation would precede me!"

The smile that spread over his lips was warm and friendly, echoed in his eyes, and Renose leaned in close with no concept of space or how he just might be making this fellow uncomfortable. The difference in height between them could possibly make any passerby think maybe Renose was doing a shake down, but the conversation was anything but. "I'm Renose. Born and raised here, and you..." He paused, trying to continue his train of thought. A throat being cleared nearby stopped him, and he turned away with a shrug. He started sweeping again, though if it was because of the suggestion or because of the warning it would remain unknown. Either way he was working, and that was all that mattered. "Forget it, Rewind. You finish your bit and I'll finish mine, then we can chat more. Your face looks like you seriously have a lot you wanna say."

A few swipes of the broom were done in earnest, though that quickly slowed as he remembered just how much he hated doing pointless basic labor. If any of this served a purpose other than cleaning up after people too careless to do it themselves, he wouldn't have minded. Really! Honest!!

No, he still would have hated it.

Hattaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 pm
Had he not already been shaking he might have actually shuddered harder when the taller boy leaned all but into him. Proximity was not at all something he was used to anymore, maybe a few years ago but that was with his little...

Feelings washed over him so fiercely that he let his head sink a bit and leaned heavily on the the broom he was suddenly not using anymore. When Renose backed away he took that moment as a chance to readjust his thoughts so that he wasn't thinking of his family anymore. His brother was dead, his sister was hopefully still alive, and if he let out a deep sigh of pain it was simply because he was still hoping for the best while at the same time being realistic. Thread devastated all of Pern, who was he to think that he might have some family left?

Pulling himself together he twisted back to face Renose with his face set in the same prickly irritation that it always was, emotions behind him. "Alright then... Renose. I remember your face but your reputation does not at all precede you, at least not with what anyone's told me since coming here. Besides, if you want me to remember your name maybe you could at least get mine right."

His shoulders shook a bit as he bit back his indignation as hard as he could, at least the taller boy was cleaning now. Aaaand he was not, great. Grabbing the broom he finished up his current section with a few swift sweeps and looked about him for another spot to clean. Finding none he realized that the hallway had been a popular place for all the Candidates to clean and they were all now making their way out towards the Bowl. Shards, that meant that he had to go outside and while Rizdax was used to the cold with where he'd grown up he was not at all prepared to follow them out into that snowy cold.

"What exactly is it that you think I want to say? What exactly was it that you wanted to say before you stopped?" Riz narrowed his gold eyes at Renose carefully, not sure that he wanted to know what this boy was going to say. Yes, he was new to this Weyr, so in reality if he spoke out too much against anyone from here he stood the risk of being booted. The only reason that he was even able to stay here and stand as a Candidate was because he'd been the right age when brought in for his wounds.

What would he do if he was kicked out? Well, actually he did know exactly to do and it was look for his little sister.

houllow

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 pm
With the departure of a handful of candidates leaving the hall nearly empty, Renose had the choice of either hurrying up and actually finishing his task, or dragging his feet and finishing it whenever he felt like it. It wasn't like they had a specific time they needed to be done, at least not one that Renose could recall, and he sighed loudly before moving back to work. A few glances over his shoulder let him know that his conversation partner was still in place, and it was amusing to see that even though he was done he made no attempt to follow the others.

Interesting.

Even more interesting was being approached as he was finishing up, the short bundle of shaking and shivering hair and skin talking up to him. Renose found it endearing. "Man, Rifftrax, you sure are a bundle of joy aren't you? People don't always have to have an agenda you know, maybe some of us just want some casual conversation. The quiet is boring, and it makes me uneasy." That much was true, that Renose didn't like the silence. Silence lead to people thinking, to people plotting, and when people got ideas and got together not always did things go right for him. Everyone else too, of course, but mostly him.

It was almost always about Renose, really.

"But whatever. Why're you still lingering in here? Wouldn't it be better to stick with a group? Probably warmer for travel, unless you were waiting on me?" The tone he spoke with was super teasing, and Renose moved his hand and placed in on his cheek in a mock shy manner. "I know that isn't the case, clearly, even though I'm definitely charming."

Hattaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 pm
"Why do I not find myself believing you?" Rizdax's eyes were still narrowed a bit and even if he were shivering he crossed his arms to keep from showing it too much. "I don't usually follow crowds of teenagers wherever they go, warm or not. That's generally just stinking body heat coming off them. Plus I don't really know any of them."

Sure, he wasn't exactly a bundle of excitement and joy but what reason did he have to be? Nothing had really gone right since... ever. But at least since coming to this Weyr he'd made some friends, albeit a small amount of them. Maybe just one or two. Maybe?

"Maybe I was waiting on you, maybe you weren't done yet so I stayed to make sure you finished." Charming, he would laugh if he ever considered this kid to be at all charming. If anything he was doing his best to push Rizdax buttons and through some miracle he was succeeding! Was he just going to let himself be pushed around?

Still, his tongue held in his mouth, not sure if he should say something else or let the affront slide by him. Yes, he had been waiting a bit, he never wanted anyone to be left alone, even if it was something as stupid as being left alone after everyone else was gone. He himself didn't need others around but he didn't want to leave anyone either. Maybe after he was done with this chore he should go and talk to Shar and see if she knew anything about Renose, certainly she did since she'd grown up here.

"And.... and talking to everyone without expecting an answer is hardly a conversation. More like running commentary on something that everyone is already doing and trying to make the best of." He picked up his broom and held out a hand to Renose, whether to shake his hand or take his broom too was an unknown.

houllow

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:45 pm
A small slap knocked Rizdax's hand away, though it was gentle enough to give more of a point than any damage. "If you're determined to wait on me, go sit over there or something." The area he was working on really wasn't done, despite whatever appearance he gave, and if he was going to finish it now would be the time. "Also, here."

The broom was set down, yet again, but only so that Renose could pull his jacket from his shoulders. It was unceremoniously tossed towards the small candidate, and Renose followed it up with a wink. While it wasn't the fanciest jacket around, it radiated the warmth from having been on his body, and from the collar the faint smell of spice wafted up. With his jacket off, he stretched his arms above his head, rotating them a few times for good measure.

"Go ahead and wear that while you wait, or wear it and leave I don't care either way. I just know it's cold when you do nothing." Perhaps he was going really far out on a branch to think that this kid was cold, but then why else was he shaking? The taller candidate certainly wasn't intimidating, at least not by his own estimation, so fear and or panic could easily be voted out. It either had to be the cold or maybe, just maybe....he had to pee. Sometimes he got the shakes when he had to go bad and couldn't leave, so that was a possibility.

Hattaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 pm
What was he implying just now by telling him to sit down and wait for him? Was that... was he trying to say that he wasn't pulling his own weight or working at all? A growl died in his throat just as it was about to start, the jacket landing in his arms so abruptly that he let his eyes widen into a look of startled shock that brought silence with it. Was this actually happening?

"Wha... why... would you?" the stuttering was a direct result of the kindness that it took quite a bit for him to believe the other teenager might have. But the proof of that kindness was starting to warm his arms up, body heat radiating into them and his goosebumps were just beginning to disappear. Should he even try to put this on, or would he be indebted to Renose for the rest of ever?

It was going to be all but a heavy dress on him too, this teenager was easily a head taller than him, if not even more so . But... it was definitely warm and toasty and didn't smell like the regular stink of Body odor that the other teenage boys always seemed to radiate around here. At least he got a better idea of what this boy was like outside of seeing him just not enjoy finishing chores quickly.

"You're going to be cold though." Rizdax expressed gently, trying to shuffle the jacket into his right arm so he could grab his broom with the other. "Are you sure you don't want to keep this, it doesn't seem like you're in a rush to go out into the cold either."

Riz eyed him carefully as he continued to sweep up his section but he slowly put the jacket on and held back his reaction to the warmth it gave off. It settled over his frame the same way that the large baggy shirts he wore always did, the collar reaching out to the edges of his pale shoulders and threatening to slide off completely. Seventeen and he felt like a small child like this.

houllow

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:11 am
"Nah, it's hard to get cold while you're working." Renose didn't even pay much attention to the complaints as he went back to sweeping, though he did cast a small glance over his shoulder to see if his jacket was being properly used. It had been, again, an educated guess that this Riznack was cold, so to see him put it on just made Renose feel all that much smarter. He prided himself on being observant and amazing after all, so if he couldn't do something as simple as notice when someone needed a jacket he had a long path ahead. He didn't bother answering the comment about not wanting to rush outside because, well yeah.

It was cold outside and Renose would rather chew glass than walk through that temperature more than he needed to. Part of him felt bad for all the riders and the dragons who had to be out in it, but then he always remembered they could between themselves somewhere warm. Any sympathy for them was quickly lost.

Not carrying to see if the other candidate actually sat down, or moved or did whatever, the teen continued to sweep. He was slow and careful, not because he wanted to do a good job but because he wasn't particularly interested in working up a sweat. Sweating meant he was too warm, and being too warm meant walking outside would be like looking into the face of death. Renose liked living, he had so much to live for, and so he was taking his sweet, sweet time. It also wasn't like there was anyone waiting for him to finish, not really, and no Candidatemaster or anyone else in charge to come in and demand he hurry up. Renose was a master of 'my pace, not yours' and today was an excellent day to exercise that,

It was only after a few ticks of a candle had passed that Renose paused, having decided to stay busy until he was done, and he turned to look and see if he was finally alone or would be pleasantly surprised by company.

Hattaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm
If he had been a feline all of his fur might have stood on end at once, but it almost looked that way all the same. Rizdax's eyes widened and his eyebrows shot up and then lowered dangerously over his bright gold eyes at the comment that had slipped from the taller boy. Was he implying that Riz was cold because he hadn't been working hard enough himself?! He had cleaned up four sections himself alone when most had done but one of two, shards this boy was still taking his time cleaning up only one section. His hair almost seemed to crackle up and him seem as though he had fluffed up indignantly, which indeed he felt justified in completely.

Closing his fists tightly around the broom he scanned the areas he hadn't touched himself, looking desperately for some area he could clean. Anything that needed just a little more attention really, that would be fine. Most of the places he looked were nice and clean, swept up to the level expected of any Candidate in High Reaches. As frustration filled his chest he just began to sweep everything around him, heaving a little bit of a sigh when dust began to swirl about his feet, proving him wrong about the cleanliness of the general area.

How long he could keep it up he wasn't sure, it was just a fine layer of dust after all, not something that a pair of boots would disrupt if a rider or lower caverns worker passed over it. All the same it gave him something to do and Rizdax found himself picking up three small piles before he simply could get no more. Casting a look towards Renose, he watched as the other boy turned in his direction and he bit back the growl that he wanted to direct at him for being so slow. Given how everything had gone until now he was certain that would just earn him more disinterested sarcasm and sass than he could handle.

"Just getting the last layer while I wait for you. I can't leave with your jacket." he managed to say in a level voice, his irritation masked with polite decency, he really wasn't about to leave with someone else's jacket on his back. Rizdax had to give it back.

houllow

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:37 am
When it looked at though Rinpix couldn't leave well enough alone, and he said he was waiting to return the jacket, Renose might have sighed a little. It looked as though his attempt at being subtle failed, which honestly wasn't much of a surprise considering how absolutely garbage he was at anything other than being painfully obvious. "I honestly wouldn't have minded. People tell me all the time that a deadglow like me wouldn't be able to tell the difference of being hot or cold." Renose laughed at his own self-deprecating remark, and he shrugged. "I mean, yeah I hate the cold but you looked like you hate it even more. You're not from here, right? It's not like you're used to our weather just yet, not from what I've been seeing."

He sounded....creepy, talking like that. It wasn't his intent to make it seem like he was outright stalking to the guy, but Renose prided himself on having friends in many places. It wasn't hard to ask someone who asked someone else to find out information. Sure not everyone would openly or willingly talk to him, but usually Renose got what he needed to know one way or another. "I don't care if you want to keep it for now and just give it back to me when you've got one of your own that fits better. Do you not have a jacket or something? I thought it was weird to see you in here without one, when everyone else is bundled up like flits going to nest." The teen really needed to stop talking, but "stop" and "talk" were not two words he ever placed together in his vocabulary. Talking was fun, talking was how people heard who you were and what you wanted.

Silent people made Renose nervous, so maybe that was why it was always better to get people to talk - even if the talking involved them being generally angry at him.

Hattaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 pm
Lifting an eyebrow at the boy's statement he shook his head. Who would give up a jacket and expect it to just walk away for good when they were out working in the cold? He heaved a heavy sigh and let his head hang in a bit of defeat, he was stubborn but this boy was on a different sort of level than him. If he was quiet and a bit prickly it was because he was trying to keep people from knowing how much he lost and the last thing that he wanted to do was go into it. But... there was the question and rather inaccurate statement, at one point he had been an older brother, what else could he do?

"You aren't a dimglow, fact is you seem pretty smart though you might be a bit selfish with it." Rizdax offered up and he leaned the broom against the wall so he could give Renose his entire attention. "I'm from Telgar, so I'm used to it being colder than this but after being held indoors in the healers wing for so long this is my first winter being able to be outdoors. So, to answer your question... no I don't have a jacket of my own that fits, I got one from a grown man that I can't even work in because the sleeves don't fit right."

Lapsing back into an awkward silence after his short spat of speaking about himself, it wasn't so much an outburst as the truth but he felt the instant need to apologize all the same. Maybe his reaction was simply because he didn't know this boy well enough to figure out his moods yet and couldn't really get a read on him. Renose seemed to know a few things about him but Riz's history was fairly easy to gain access too with just a few questions, anyone that he knew in the Weyr was aware of how he had come here.

"I don't want to keep it though, it's yours and you don't like cold. I don't mind it, I suppose I could always force myself to get used to it again." Riz ran a hand up the sleeve covering his arm and started to take it off so he could give it back.

houllow

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:23 pm
Was it a pride thing that was making Riznoks not want to accept the jacket? Renose could understand and even acknowledge pride - it was a good thing in small doses - but to refuse the offer a jacket when clearly in need of one? Pride, or stupidity? "Just keep the jacket for now, okay? I have another, and I tend to run hot anyway, so just accept it on goodwill and don't make excuses." If he were the type to be inclined to offence when someone refused a gift, Renose would have been more than a little incensed at the moment. As it was, he didn't understand the concept of humility or being humble or whatever else this other teen's excuses seemed to be. How hard was it to take a jacket being offered to you? Renose liked free things - this person should learn to like free things too! Seriously, learn to like free stuff or live a hard life, there was really no in between.

"As for me not liking something doesn't mean you should feel guilty about anything. People in this place seem to forget that it's totally okay to think about themselves once in a while, like putting themselves first or what not. This whole Weyr is kinda fully of the self-sacrificing type." It was understood that one had to be selfless, to place the good of all above the thoughts of themselves, but sometimes that thought didn't sit right in Renose's gut. What good was doing anything for others if you were dead? You can't hear the cheers when you're not around, you can't feel the adoration. Dying for something that was right was such a cheap and easy way out, and why was he thinking this? All he wanted was for the kid to keep his jacket so he wouldn't be cold anymore.

Shells.

He tossed the broom aside, not caring where it really landed. This whole mess of cleaning wasn't his job, would never be his job and now he was too annoyed to even really focus on it. His expression bordered on peeved, as whatever decent mood he'd been trying to establish by talking instead of working slowly melted away. The sulk would pass just as quickly as it came on, thankfully, but for the time being he was going to allow himself these feelings. "You done?"

Hattaki

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces