Oiling was a necessary chore, but one that Aurinkoth had a way of making unnecessarily difficult sometimes. He’d laugh and wiggle and Ichta would often find herself chasing after her blue as he attempted to turn it into playtime. This was no different from usual, and Ichta ducked under a wing that wiggled and strained to not just vibrate from how badly it tickled. The dark haired woman looked up at him, brows raised slightly. Need a break, love? she offered and the blue trilled sweetly at her, nudging the top of his head against her face. A break to play? he asked and Ichta crinkled her nose at him before smiling. What would you like to play?

Apparently, the answer was 20 questions. Ichta sat with the blue’s head in her lap as he looked up at her adoringly. If I could give you anything in the Weyr, what would you want? he asked innocently. The dark haired girl ran her fingers over the spots around his eyes she had found he liked as she hummed with though. I think I have everything I want, Aurinkoth. she replied, her mental voice as gentle as her spoken one. You’re perfectly happy then? Aurinkoth asked, practically flooding his bonded with a wave of absolute love. As happy as I can be.

Perhaps there was a bittersweetness in her tone she hadn’t meant to communicate, but Aurinkoth cheeped at her, a huffing squawk of a noise. Dear, sweet, mine. I know I’m not the only thing you need for happiness – though I do try very, very hard, You do, dear one. Is something bothering you? Had someone said something? It wasn’t often the little blue actually took something too sensitively to heart. It had happened perhaps once before, but she’d been able to pick him up again with relative ease. If you weren’t surrounded by my brothers and sisters and theirs all day, I feel like you’d only keep my company. he admitted and Ichta frowned.

He wasn’t wrong, perhaps.

You’re worried. Ichta stroked a headknob idly and leaned in to kiss the side of the blue’s perfect head. Faranth, he was beautiful. He was beautiful and she was his and he was hers. I am and will always be yours and with you, but there are parts of you that are only for other people. he admitted. It wasn’t a complicated understanding. He was usually the first to introduce them to anybody and Ichta usually defaulted to finding a place for them to be alone. Usually.

Aurinkoth had a few exchanges with one of his brothers and while his understanding was not as all-encompassing as perhaps another of his bonded’s kind would have had, the blue knew that naturally humans kept theirs about them. He’d asked about some of the interactions while Ichta had her breakfast and over time he understood that some things humans did were universal to all they met, but others were for specifically ‘chosen’ others of varying rank. It was very complicated, but he’d used it as his standard for categorizing those they had met. Menankith’s was a ‘chosen’, for example. That was easy to guess! The girls gave each other so much support, after all.

Yet there was another support there that Aurinkoth wasn’t sure how to categorize. Not because there was doubt. No, the blue had absolutely no doubt that his needed them, but….

Ichtamine. I know you do not keep it secret from me, nor could you, yet…Elzebuth’s? Aurinkoth didn’t finish his question, and in a way he didn’t need to. He could feel the surge of confliction through her. G’ran. she replied meekly, heart twisting in her chest. Aurinkoth lifted his head to touch his nose to her chest, crooning reassuringly at her. Are you afraid that he would not want to carry the weight of your heart? he asked. Ichta felt her feelings practically shrink into her, like a blanket being shoved into a space that it wasn’t meant to fit into. I know what Elzebuth wants for him. G’ran deserves it too. The best and that’s… she didn’t have to say it before Aurinkoth immediately perked up and bonked his snout against her forehead. His protest filled her and she nearly flinched.

Who is the best, Ichtamine? he asked and Ichta found herself shrugging lightly. Are you judging by dragon? Are you saying my beautiful sister, Zenobiath…that perhaps a goldrider would be better for him? You would rather Alumet – who may not even want him? You could give one you care about to someone else? There was no spite in it. Aurinkoth loved Zenobiath as much as he loved any of his clutchmates and in turn, he knew all had chosen only the best for themselves. Though he truly had been the winner to have his darling, wonderful, Ichta.

Would you let me have anybody else now that you have been mine? he asked now, kreeling at the young woman, and it made her gut twist. She took his head with both her hands and kissed the top of his head before resting her own forehead against it. No. I could never. I am yours and you are mine. she assured him, yet Aurinkoth didn’t settle. He did, however, send her a small, gentle wave of adoration. She was wonderful.

If the heart is a seed, Aurinkoth, it is one that is planted in a foreign garden and you hope that the one who tends it will take care of it until fruition. Perhaps an analogy wasn’t the best thing to confuse her sweet, loving blue with, as he clearly tried to wrap his head around it. I don’t understand, there is fruit? Can I eat it? he asked it so innocently that Ichta nearly burst with laughter. No! No, love. she ran a hand over his head. “He will treat it well, if he wants it. I cannot force it.” She spoke aloud and Aurinkoth thrummed.

Though he did not understand.

And if he does want it?

“Then I’ll find out when I’m ready to.”