Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 am
Actual thread starts on page 13
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-guides-and-resources/the-reference-list-closed/t.97266435_181/  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 am
Quote:
Listed by Item

Caged Immortality (+Recolors) is a Vocaloid reference to Oliver and any resemblance it might have to Clear from DMMD has been deemed coincidence.
User Image

Cheshire Grin & Tea Time and all other Alice in Wonderland will not be placed in anything but Alice in Wonderland. Sorry but unless there's more to the pose than just arms or what not I don't see it.

Deadly Damsel Hair (+Recolors) is a Street Fighter reference, specifically to the character Cammy. Any similarities to Jinx from League of Legends has been deemed coincidence. Also to note, the item was released in the rig "Strong Upper Cut". A rig dedicated to video game fighter styles.
User Image

Deerly Beloved (Wiki) is no longer under Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus' Bride) because it is more likely a coincidence and not an actual reference. This artist has been known to do original works. Unless there is irrefutable proof it will be staying here.

Deity of Ossidian (+Recolors) is an original Gaia creation. Any similarities it may have to the video game Undertale has been deemed coincidence.
User Image

[KINDRED] Gege the Rooster is a nice rooster but I won't be adding it for Animaniacs because, coincidence.
User Image

Grimm's Anatomy Its name seems like a subtle nod to the series "Grey's Anatomy" but seeing as that's all it has going for it, I will not be adding it to the list.
User Image

Hardboiled Heartbreaker User Image - It's a generic detective story reference based on film noir and other such movies of that time. I will not be placing it under anything such as Casablanca as to me that's too specific.
Link to Quote Source
Rejam
...As a woman-loving woman myself I didn't think anyone would perceive this as being an attempt to perpetuate a negative stereotype and I'm truly sorry if that's how it came across. I am here for all kinds of F/F pairings! I happen to just... really like butch ladies (or, well, all ladies, but I do have a soft spot especially for butch ladies, lol), and wanted to play with the tropey story of the traditionally-male detective and the film noir femme fatale a little bit, while still making an item that was functionally gender-neutral for users biggrin

Huntress Cinder (+Recolors) is RWBY and was made to resemble Blake Belladonna.
User Image

Knight ___ Series is Wedding Peach, not Magic Knight Rayearth.
Passionate Knight Venus | Amorous Knight Isis | Romantic Knight Aphrodite
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Lestelle (+Recolors) is a Bravely Default reference specifically for (Vampire Class)(Lester DeRosso = Hair). Any resemblance to Attack on Titan has been deemed coincidence.
User Image

Like Daisies or any of the recolors are not references to anything.
User Image

Lollirot Witch is a user recolor. Any resemblance it may have to Rin Kagamine of Vocolid is coincidence.
User Image

Lonely Waifu is a Gaia original item. Any similarities within the item or description has been deemed coincidence. Confirmed by the artist Natsube however the hair is referencing a piece of hers found here. Original Post
PS: It is also known that the description uses the name "Flipper" but seeing the genuinely vague name that it is and given the subject matter of the item I will not be referencing it with the television show as it is yet another coincidence.
Also there are Body Pillows also known as "dakimakura" on this site and this is hardly the first one.
User Image

Object of Affection User Image (+Recolors) & Baby, Oni-ly You User Image (+Recolors) are references CoeyKuhn Tumblr Art, not Gumi.

Plaiddy Issues is a pun on "Daddy Issues" and not much of a "reference" so I won't be adding it.
User Image

Puppy Love (+Recolors) is a Nintendogs and Neko Atsume reference. Any similarities to Undertale have been deemed coincidence.
User Image

SBX and recolors also references Rainbow Starbright as well as re-imagining older children shows into something more cutting edge.
SBX | SBX-2 | SBX Remake

Shear Whimsy (+Recolors) is a Dangan Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc reference to (Toko Fukawa/Genocider/Monokuma) any resemblance to Kill la Kill has been deemed coincidence.
User Image

Substitute Soul (+Recolors) is a pure Bleach reference item and the over the shoulder sash has been deemed suitable for Sesshoumaru cosplay.
User Image

Trick or Treat Tote is a Halloween Holiday reference. The candycorn horns are coincidence as the item was released before Homestuck series.
User Image

We Hunger (Collection) & We Thirst (Collection) are references to the anime series Madoka and can be found on page 1 of the guide. I will not be adding this to any other section. Thank you.

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 am
page 13

---------------------
(speaking of i might have one. Kumahime is supposed to be a reference to Lulu from Yuri Kuma Arashi. Episode 4 is about the best I got since the hair and crown are similar but the dress not so much. err kinda picture. Saw it mentioned in the GCD once)
------------------------
Subscribed.

On the subject of items needing a reference: Big Bad Bossu. This one has been driving me crazy. At first I thought it was Zangief from Street fighter, but there is too much about this item that doesn't match.

~ The face and torso is so perfect a match (even the scars match up) it makes me wonder why they didn't make it exact. All you'd have to do for the hair is lop the ponytail off, but neither the Agape or sketchbook does a thing. The tights almost make me wonder if they were doing it for making such an item unisex (as the torso does give us femmes a bra).

I do believe Zangief was the intent but maybe it came out before they were being so terribly blatant with their references (May 2011 according to the virtual details) . ~

--------------------------------------
I could be mistaken, but I do believe that Sheep Angelique could be a reference to Muffy from Animal Crossing :3

------------------------------------------
vocaloid

Natural Style (Source)
User Image

Bunny Brigade (+Recolors)(Source)
User Image

ouran high school host club (anime)

Bunny Brigade (+Recolors)(Source)
User Image

all i've got for now U_U i'll probably keep searching later  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 am
page 14 (some of these continue to the next page

-----------------------------------
mUltipants- This was another April's fools item that was missing.
Classic Marcella - Raggedy Ann
Little Drummer - The Little Drummer Boy
Southtown Ghost Story - Alice Riley, the first woman hung in Savannah, Georgia.

Not sure if you are going to be covering myth/folklore/urban legends. These three are very specific.
Weeping Wanderer - La Llorona
Sunken Dutchman - The Flying Dutchmen
Tale of the Impetuous God - Shinto storm-god Susanoo. The flavor text is about the myth of how he slain Yamato No Orochi.

--------------------------
Summer Shoe Collection is a hilarious reference to The Liam Show

-------------------------------
I could be completely wrong, but I think that Sheperdess de l'Agneau is a reference to the nursery rhyme Little Bo Peep. I'd attach a source, but there isn't a specific costume. Typically she is seen in a dress with a bonnet, basket, and shepherd's crook.

-----------------------------------------
I thought I was bonkers XD I forgot the name of the anime/manga so I had to try and find it to make sure. Albeit the color is off but the All seeing watcher the goggles are like this character from Sket Dance
I thought that one was a reference to this dude, bad pun and all.

Though that same style of goggles seem to appear quite often in anime/manga now that I've seen another with them  

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:42 pm
page 15

---------------------------------------
Why I actually came here today:
Experimental Interplanetary Shuttlepod
References Farscape.
The main character and pilot of this shuttle frequently has rouge interstellar phenomena trouble, as per description.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Farscape_season_1_episode_1.jpg
A picture of the craft; all wormholes are that brilliant blue color in the series.

------------------------------
oh, I did some more researching and found that Obsidian Shoe Collection, Dusk Shoe Collection, Chocolate Shoe Collection, and Dark Summer Shoe Collection ALL reference the Liam Show's song Shoes. It's not just one item. Oops.

----------------------------------------
mUltipants- This was another April's fools item that was missing.
Classic Marcella - Raggedy Ann
Little Drummer - The Little Drummer Boy
Southtown Ghost Story - Alice Riley, the first woman hung in Savannah, Georgia.

Not sure if you are going to be covering myth/folklore/urban legends. These three are very specific.
Weeping Wanderer - La Llorona
Sunken Dutchman - The Flying Dutchmen
Tale of the Impetuous God - Shinto storm-god Susanoo. The flavor text is about the myth of how he slain Yamato No Orochi.

Wouldn't Myth/Folklore/Urban Legend also fit under Novels, Literature, Stories, Fables and Poetry? In the end all things are stories so it seems like it would be a little difficult to be able to truly divide the two into their own sections all the while trying to decide which is which. At least that's my interpretation...

I have Sunken Dutchman under that section and referenced as The Rime of the Ancient Mariner as the description for the item is a direct quote from there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:51 pm
page 16

New Zip It LQI Recolor is here!

Added:

See Pokemon List.

Zip It Shut
User Image

--------------------------------------------------
I noticed this item before and thought it was a refrence to .Hack http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10010747 its called Avatar of twilight a few things look like this

------------------------------------
Not new but recently added to this list

See: Music, Artists, People, Celebrities, Etc.

Kaiser Wilhelm II
Kaiser (Pic)
User Image

Why I actually came here today:
Experimental Interplanetary Shuttlepod
References Farscape.
The main character and pilot of this shuttle frequently has rouge interstellar phenomena trouble, as per description.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Farscape_season_1_episode_1.jpg
A picture of the craft; all wormholes are that brilliant blue color in the series.

-------------------------------------  

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 pm
page 17

-----------------------
Ears of Enlightenment, Holo-Grid Wall Tile - Star trek. The Ears are probably one of the first reference item Gaia made. The description to the Holo-Grid is what cements it.

Prince of Thieves - Ali Baba and the 40 thieves, though could also be listed under One Thousand and One Nights .

Witchy- Wizard of oz

Galahad Of Templar - King Arthur. Has recolor.

--------------------------------------
Brand New Reference based LQI is here!

Added:

Magica Modoka
Law of Entropy (Rebellion)(Homura Akemi and Kyubey)
User Image

----------------------------------
Added:

Freebie Thread Source (Just in case.)

Satoru Iwata, CEO of Nintendo (1959-2015)
The Great Game | [Animal] The Great Game
User ImageUser Image

Oculus mythica (soulless cat eyes)

The eyes seems to be a reference to a character named illumi in Hunter X Hunter

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Illumi_Zoldyck

-----------------------------
Icy Inuit - Don't Break the Ice

Sinful Scarlet - The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Sir Percey - The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emma Orczy

Keppler-22b - Keppler-22b (the planet)

Bonnie Ol' Clyde, Brave Bonnie, Cunning Clyde - Bonnie and Clyde

Also, the Lost Chapter CI had 8 SP+ dolls that mixed a Gaia character with a work of fiction. Wasn't sure if they were wanted.

-----------------------
Avian Ritualist reminds me a lot of Guild Wars (MMO) I'm like 99% sure it's a reference ;o

---------------------------
New Dragonslayer Recolor is here!

See Pokemon Thread.

Destructive Dragonslayer
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 pm
page 18

-----------------------
i'm 90% sure some of the crystal witch recolors hint at steven universe. crystal witch opal is tagged with "pearl" so i'll include that one too

Crystal Witch
Garnet | Amethyst | Opal (Source)

--------------------------------
Also, Cloud the Bison (at least the hair) has to me always looked like a reference to Weather Report from JoJo

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemsearch/?search=generations

The new male swimwear in the RIG released today have Kuroko's Basketball references.

----------------------------
Street Ignition is a reference to the anime Initial D.

~ Hmm... I am wondering is there a possibility of the Drome Egg being a Jurassic Park Reference? I mean making Dino pets from ancient DNA and the dinosaur is a raptor (not to mention also looks like a bird, though that just may be because it's a raptor). Just posting that as a possibility. ^_^ ~

-------------------------
It might be a stretch to say this but, from the moment I saw Crane Warrior, It made me think of Tsurumaru Kuninaga from Touken Ranbu

ouo Would you like to add this to your list for
One Piece?
Shishi the Pirate Monkey
In reference to Luffy's laughter
also "I'm going to become the king of the pirate."  

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:47 pm
page 19

Not sure if you have this one:
Black Jack
Yorick's Curse
User Image

The hair and scars reminds me of him I could be wrong though. sweatdrop

Well, while I have to agree that the hair color is similar to the BlackJack character it seems to be the only things that sort of matches. Black and white hair styles aren't too uncommon, especially in animation. If I had to say it was a reference I would go with Shakespeare's play Hamlet. From the name, type of item and description I would have to say specifically it is going for the character of Yorick He's only referred to by Prince Hamlet in the story but in life he was a jester.

------------------
New Reference Themed LQI is here!

Added:

Mario
Angry Dragon (Bowser)
User Image

it's actually a reference to bowser jr, i think. mentions siblings in the description and the hairstyle + clown car almost mirror his ssb art.

also, one of the poses references the challenger approaching screen~

Angry Dino (Source)
User Image

So a couple weeks ago, I was watching the Guilty Gear EVO tournament and I realized that Faust has a Giant Scalpel as a weapon...
I'm not sure if this item is in reference of it in particular, but I'm just putting this out there sweatdrop

Found in the July Black Box Rig.

See Pokemon List.
User Image

Added:

Harsh Blazing Blitz
User Image

Saavy Swift Shocker
User Image

Murky Maiden
User Image

For the Paws

[Animal] Harsh Blazing Blitz
User Image

[Animal] Saavy Swift Shocker
User Image

[Animal] Murky Maiden
User Image

------------------------
hey so i could be wrong but i recently came across the meowlody items and i think it's inspired by cyan from show by rock. just wanted to put that out ;w;

Hi! Stumbled across this item a while ago. It seems to be a reference to Goosebumps books. I looked around here and can't seem to find it so I hope I didn't just miss it!
The Chilly Willies  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 pm
page 20

Afterschool Sweet Days is a reference to Tsumugi Kotobuki from K-ON! It also has two recolors.

Sweet Swim Team Dreamboat is actually a ref. to Kisumi Shigino from Free!

Also I think 'Throwing Knives' might actually be a reference to Dio's Knife Throw from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Not sure if someone already mentioned this but Mine Mine Mine User Image is a reference to a song called Me!Me!Me! (by Teddyloid).

Not really sure if I can link it, it's kinda nsfw... =/

Added:

One Piece
Kakumei Soldier (Sabo and Koala)
User Image

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet?
Item: User Image Wish Upon the Fallen User Image
Series: Gintama
Character(s): Sakata Gintoki (Also known as Shiroyasha, meaning White Demon)
Character(s): Tsukuyo for the smoking pose

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm
page 21

Breezy Hearts description a ref to the Covergirl brand?

I could be wrong but I think Tree of Dolls User Image might be a reference to the Ghost Adventures episode Island of Dolls, where they were all hanging from trees.
Here's a source
The island is already listed in real life locations on page 8. That episode wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the real Island existing for as long as it has.

Sherwood Outlaw - Robin Hood
Song of the Nightingale - The Nightingale by Hans Christian Anderson

I always thought Admirable Antagonist was a reference to Zuko from Avatar the Last Airbender- between the hair, swords, and scars.

------------------------
I didn't see it on the list, but I think norsemans expedition also references The video game skyrim 3nodding the pose adventurer's doom is a reference to a line of dialogue from the game. ("I used to be an adventurer like you but then I took an arrow to the knee" )

technically also an internet meme as well...I think anyway.

Enforcer Riot Mask is a Half Life reference. Its design is based off the masks of the overwatch metrocops, and the item's text is a popular meme spawned from the second game.

While looking this up, I noticed that the Cy-Board Snow Board looked a lot like the Overwatch Elite  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 pm
page 22

Also Added Today:
(I'm sure that I've missed some, there's always more references to be had.
However for now there are what I found.)

Music

FEMM's AGENCY SYNDICATE
Serpentine Darling (Fxxk Boyz Get Money Lyrics)
User Image

Video Games

League of Legends
Dancing Lights
User Image

---------------------
New Reference LQI Introduced today!

Added to Video Games

Dangan Ronpa
Shear Whimsy (Toko Fukawa/Genocider/Monokuma)
User Image

click
[Animal] Cheery Townfolk (Animal) reference to Animal Crossing

Now I'm not 100% on this but:

User Image

[Animal] Bakeneko (Animal)

This reminds me of
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

oh and this is a No brainer

Pokemon

Fireheart Red (Any)
User Image
Description:
The start of a new journey to become the very best.

[Animal] Fireheart Red (Animal)
User Image
Description:
The start of a new journey to become the very best

Does art & name for the CI/RIG logos count? Because the logo and name for this month's new CI is definitely based on a Philippine reality talent competition, Starstruck. Yes, it even has the same name.

Here's the logo:

And a link to the wiki page: Starstruck

I guess this can be classified in the music, artist, & celebrities section.

the hair and ears in Fluffy Stars remind me of Moa from Show by Rock.

Star Tailer has lyrics referencing Lady Gaga's Paparazzi  

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:04 pm
page 23

Yo they made a new Persona item that called Little Friend. [sadly it isnt original color yet.]

Its Rei from Persona Q.
[x]

-----------------------
New Pokemon Recolors are here!
Please see The Pokemon List.

Found in the Creative Cosplay Bundles

Added:

[Animal] Bright Flare Forever
User Image

Roaring Blazing Blitz
User Image

New Splatoon Reference item is here!

See Video Games.

Added:

Cephalopod Shuffle (Squid Sisters)
User Image

Music reference:
User Image
Wings From Down Under

Men at Work's 'Down Under' re name of the item and lyrics in the description.

User Image

Swim Shark Style and its Shark Swim Style variants are loosely based off of Samekichi from Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea, a free story-focused RPG by Mogeko/Deep-Sea Prisoner.

User Image

Lola's Synthesis is a reference to Atelier Rorona from the Atelier games :3

Sandman (Western comics)
source
User Image
Her Bright Delight  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 pm
page 24

New Synchronous Sunlight Recolor is here!

See my Pokemon List for details.

Found in the Loyal's Temple Gate

Added:

Modest Synchronous Sunlight
User Image

New Reference is here!

Found in Taru's Vigor

Added:

Princess Mononoke
Echo Delay (Wiki)(Kodoma Pic)
User Image

Find any more that aren't listed here?
Feel free to let me know.

I've searched all the pages in the thread but I can't seem to find the source on Hanayome being a Fire Emblem item? I do not recall a single character/npc looking like the item off the top of my head aside from Olivia if she had blue hair? Would you mind giving me a source on that item? I'm deathly curious since I'm a huge fan of the series, it's my favorite series, but my mind is pulling a blank on this.

~ When looking it up it appears to me to be a class you can have in awakening know as the bride class for female characters only of course. I didn't really have that much trouble finding it. ^__^ ~

*This post has been brought to you by Baby Fafnir. User Image

---------------------------------
(I didn't see it on the list so I'll mention this) Blood huntress is a reference to castlevania, It also references some of the characters, the hair and owl I think are based off ofMaria Renard and the first pose of the arm mod I'm assuming is based off the Aria of Sorrow cover. And of course the backgrounds dracula's castle. (I'm sure there's more but that's all I recognize)

New reference LQI is here!

See Steven Universe on page 3.

Steven Universe
Tenacious Love (Garnet)
User Image

Stylin' all Night wig rig from Persona 4 dancing all night.

Heimdal the Ram is a reference to The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, both in description and the helmet, which is loosely based on the Iron Helmet

---------------------------------
New Reference LQI is here!

See Anime & Manga.

Added:

D. Gray-man (DGrayMan, D Gray Man)
Devil Slayer (Allen Walker)
User Image

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 pm
page 25

I'm pretty sure the ribbon candy items are a reference to Flonne from the Disgaea games, but they haven't made it in her colors, I don't think :s The top looks a lot like hers, though, so it might be worth mentioning.

EDIT:
This one looks like this version:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10192199 hage superhero is saitama from one punch man!

[Animal] Slow Paced Life seems to be based off Leif from Animal Crossing. The background is also very similar to the houses in that game.

------------------------
See Anime & Manga.

Added:

Kiki's Delivery Service
Fresh Bread to GO! (Kiki)
User Image

Inner Strength is a Pokemon reference to Tate and Liza and can be found here.

------------------------
Cha la adventures is from Avatar: the last airbender

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10096867
It is actually a Dragonball/Dragonball Z reference.

---------------------
See Page 3.

Added:

Hannibal
Cruel Cliffhanger
User Image

Reference List Rebuild Project

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers