Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[PRP] Queenly Relations (Sharath and Fianth)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Waiver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:19 pm
Sharath shifted from her position among the spires of High Reaches Weyr, watching the dragons below with mild interest. The watch dragon seemed like they might be worth talking to... she was considering gliding over to gossip.

Every time they came here, she tried her best to avoid the other golds in the Weyr. She got a scolding last time and she really wasn't terribly interested in being bossed around the Weyrbound Queens just because she was trying to find her own way! And Ameliah had made her promise to be good and not pick any fights.

There were weyrlings around, however, and Sharath watched them with interest as they scuttled around the Weyrbowl small dragons in tow. See, she didn't dislike all dragons! Just the self-important, overblown competitors who refused to see her brilliance.

And she'd heard Fianth had taken a blue as a consort. Blues weren't bad... but it was such poor choice for a mate! She'd never heard of a blue catching a gold before so how could any self-respecting queen tolerate such a small male on her ledge? Really, it spoke more to the poor judgement of Fianth than to the merit of the blue.

The gold's mind whirled through the gossip she'd heard and turned her attention back to the Queen's ledge. Was it true though? She hadn't see a blue alight there yet... and it could truly just be a ridiculous rumour.... although unlikely.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 am
Waiver

It was time.

The small, pale gold dragon had been giving Sharath her space, but she knew not how long the other queen would be with them, and did not wish to miss an opportunity to greet her. Her first golden daughter had been a bit of a spitfire, and seemed to have taken more after Yisketh than herself. She knew that Sharath seemed to find herself stifled around other queens, including Fianth. While the pale gold did not begrudge the young gold's dreams, she did wish they had a better relationship... or that she could see her a bit more regularly.

Fianth had always been more of a maternal gold than an ambitious one. It was her rider that took them to the top, with Fianth happy to help wherever she could. But she would not have been jealous had Eveleth and hers picked another queen to take her place... and lately, with her meetings with Krahsujunth, and the rumors circulating fast around them, she knew it was well a possibility. Ah, but until that day came, she was still the Weyrwoman Second of High Reaches Weyr -- and that was something she was proud of.

So it was, the pale gold gave her wings a good stretch, before she pushed herself from the ledge and out over the Weyr Bowl. She was a graceful queen, her small size allowing her more agility than the larger Eveleth. But she was in no mood to dally; no, she did not know if Sharath would remove herself if she saw Fianth approach, but the sooner she greeted the gold, the happier she'd be. No, she did not expect it to be a long conversation, but that didn't stop Fianth's joy from bubbling to the surface as she approached.

She had loved all her clutches, and strove to remember, and keep in touch when she could. But Sharath, like so many of her children, had left, scattered to the wind. Many more had since died. Most of hers had turned more into companions and peers than children, though a few still humored her. Sharath, she knew, she should treat more like a visiting queen than a daughter returning home.

Sharath! She greeted warmly, a happy trill echoing as she landed a few ledges over. She would not be so rude as to assume the gold would wish to share one with her, though Fianth yearned for it so. It is good to see you back on the ledges of High Reaches. Might you spare a moment for a few words? Her eyes whirled a bright blue, staring warmingly, fondly, at the small queen. Sharath might have gained Yisketh's ambitions, and Eveleth's haughty nature... but she did share Fianth's delicate size.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Waiver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:00 pm
Masterharper

A flash of gold below drew Sharath's attention and her whirled orange before settling into a mostly green hue, tinged with orange and red - the standard for her visits here. The mental sigh she issued forth privately made Ameliah's expression quirk into something between a smirk and a look of concern... that sigh always meant a gold approached.

Sharath had never really kept familial bonds on her priority list... even her offspring were seen as capable, independent adults. Fianth had always seemed interested in such connections, however, and perhaps that was why Sharath had spurned them? A rebellion of sorts.

The warm voice blossomed in her mind and though Sharath shifted, puffing herself with wings and posture, she did not spurn the greeting. She had promised to be civil and Fianth was minding her space. The small queen wasn't sure if this meant the other was being respectful or cowardly... but either way, she approved of that, at least.

Sharath's head raised proudly and regarded the other evenly for a few heartbeats before she answered, tail flicking like a cat tolerating attention. Her tone was formal and her lilt regal, as was her custom; if Sharath become less formal it was generally an indicator of increasing frustration. I believe so. Mine is here delivering your Firestone... there is much demand for it and she has a good eye for it. There was a great deal of pride in those words, almost as if she dared the other to criticize their work. There are young ones about... very new, they still trip on their wings. Her gaze shifted the bowl below, the comment edged with sharpness and fondness all at once - little ones at least sought the advice of their elders and drank in knowledge thirstily, watching with unbiased eyes.

Any with good potential? She shifted on her perch, wings fluttering and body still posturing but less aggressively. It was almost an unconscious tick by now, this posturing.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:17 am
Waiver

Fianth disregarded Sharath's red-orange eyes; she well knew that the other gold was not particularly fond of other queens. It was unfortunate, really, as the gold always desired a strong bond with her children, similar to how she was with Eveleth, and even Rhianth. Unfortunately, her first golden daughter seemed to take after Yisketh or Eveleth -- she was competitive, and seemingly more aggressive than her mother.

Ah, but even if Sharath had no interest in keeping up with bonds, Fianth would never spurn the other gold from her ledge, or her Weyr. Even if the other queen decided to bare her fangs, or otherwise bristle, Fianth was not the sort to be rude. She knew her place, she knew her position, and she had nothing to fear. She also well understood that she had approached Sharath. The gold would not push the other... but she did wish to say hello.

So, the pale and petite queen settled. She settled delicately, easy going in her usual style. Let the other posture as she needed -- she would take no offense. Your rider is quite talented in her chosen craft. We will likely need her wares more than ever, and for some time. It was true. She knew how badly the Weyr needed firestone. High Reaches had always kept up their supplies and hoarded the stone. But now that Thread had returned, they were reliant on good stone more than ever.

When Sharath mentioned the little ones, Fianth's eyes whirled a soft blue. She turned her head so she might admire the babies below. Oh, how she loved to clutch; to see Uridith with such sweet hatchlings had caused the pale gold to secretly pine. She desired another clutch more than ever, but it was not quite time. Until then, she would coo over the babies, and watch as they grew.

Uridith had a fine clutch. The gold complimented freely, watching as the hatchlings played far below. There are a few that seem to stand out. Elzebuth chose well, for all that he caused some trouble. Aresoth seems wise when tempered, and both Kratoth and Menankith strong. Lemuth's energy, if focused, shall serve the Wings well; and Basanuth seems to desire to work hard. It is a strong clutch, with healthy, and active weyrlings. Should they survive their training, their energy will be put to good use. She did not mention Zenobiath, and refrained from gushing about each of them individually. She loved the little ones from afar, but did not need to coo over them in front of Sharath. She knew well the old likely did not have the patience.

How long shall you be with us? Fianth did not know if the shipment brought would take long to unload. Would they be there a day or longer, she did not know. She doubted Sharath wished to remain long, but Fianth could still be hopeful.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Waiver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:16 pm
Masterharper

The arch of Sharath's neck grew proud as the other complimented Hers' craft, and as Fianth settled in, the gold shook out her wings and adjusted on her perch. If the other queen saw fit to stay put and actually give her her space, Sharath would allow such things. At least until Fianth tried to press things.

Six... six promising hatchlings then? Sharath's eyes whirled blue as she looked over the bowl's occupants. Only six? That was not so good as to be unbelievable. She puffed a bit and nodded, That is good news, I see many more wounded than the last time we were here... Threadfall has been unkind, even here where you were ready for it. It is worse elsewhere, Fianth. The world has grown wild with green and the Thread consumes it. She sighed, sharing mental images of other places she and Ameliah had been, the death and devastation, especially in undefended holds and the forests of the Western Continent.

We will not be here long, overnight at most... we are due in Western soon. They struggle with their supplies but it makes for opportunity for Mine. Sharath's gaze shifted from the weyr bowl to the other queen, Mine enjoys the mountains here... it is her birthplace. And the air is good to breathe when we visit, fresh and clear.

Nabol was not exactly a clean city outside the excesses of the wealthy districts and Sharath could not help but acknowledge she felt at home in the mountains, among the clouds with plains and hills stretching as far as the eye could see below.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:55 pm
Waiver

Fianth watched as her golden daughter settled herself proudly on the ledge. It took the queen a great amount of will power not to want to reach out and nose the other, to fuss over Sharath, and fawn over her as she had witnessed Uridith do on countless occasions. But Sharath had been a very independent gold, and a very jealous one at that. Any desire to bond with her had not turned out as the queen had hoped. So, all she could do was attempt to foster civility between the two of them... and be grateful when Sharath did offer kindness.

Just because she ranked her did not mean she had to be rude. For a queen, Fianth had always been polite.

They will all prove useful to the Weyr. Everyday they grow stronger and more ready to face the Enemy. She was proud of the young faces, and often enjoyed watching them when they were out playing and practicing. Her eyes did turn turn a bit yellow in alarm as Sharath confessed what it was like out there, though she also wasn't surprised. Giving a small sigh, the queen looked back towards the weyrlings, Pern's only hope. The world had not been prepared, and I fear it still is suffering. The knowledge of our forefathers has long been lost, and while we send our riders to instruct and teach, I fear it isn't enough. Yes, the Weyrs were trying to go back to the old ways -- but it wasn't easy suddenly dealing with new leadership, and new, foreign ways of fighting. High Reaches had offered help where it could, had even sent out its better trained riders of all colors to help the up-and-coming Weyrs, but Fianth feared it was going to be a few Turns more before all the Weyrs were experienced.

Thread's return had been a tragedy, even when High Reaches had been prepared to fight it. The losses had been less than in other places...but there had still been losses.

The images her rider sent was painful to look at, though Fianth said nothing. She would share the images with Olliah later, so her rider could at least discuss the situation with her superiors. Without grubs to save the foliage and minimize damage, the entire world was at risk. Burrowed Thread was nasty; not only did it kill plants from the roots up, but any near the surface could be stepped on, and people could still lose their lives.

They are lucky to have you, then. While I do not wish any to struggle, I am happy to know that you and yours are well. You know you both are always welcome here, for as long as your wings might wish to rest. And that was the truth. While Sharath might not favor the area, Fianth would never turn her away. Was she not of a great and proud lineage of High Reaches? She was Fianth's daughter, and Fianth was Eveleth's daughter. Though she might not be the Weyrwoman, she was of the senior gold's blood.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Waiver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 pm
It is up to High Reaches to prepare the future. That is our duty. Sharath replied seriously – as much as she disliked other golds she did, at least, recognize the importance of their roles in the bigger picture. Her own clutches had grown and gone on disperse throughout the world, another step towards the future. It will have to be enough or we've failed., she might have said we but it was clear she meant 'you'.

The open invitation felt dull to the gold – an invitation to what..? Chafe at the lack of opportunity or inability to pursue passions? Play nice because it was expected? There was no reason for them to return for any length of time, really. The bitterness that had been seeded during her time at the Weyr coloured her voice when she finally responded, As long as Mine considers it worth while for our prosperity, we will bring our business here. Her tail flicked in agitation and her wings ruffled a bit.

Do you travel outside the Weyr much? The question was sudden, blunt. As far as Sharath was concerned, the golds that holed themselves up in the Weyrs lost touch with the rest of the world... missed the beauty of forests and oceans and certainly didn't get enough wind beneath their wings. When she finally took power over her own Weyr, it would not be so – she would lead but not be trapped.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:09 pm
Waiver

Fianth turned to regard Sharath with her blue and yellow tinged eye. Any hope she had of making progress with the other faltered, and she let the fork of her tail swish thoughtfully. This was how their conversations always went, didn't it? Inevitably, Fianth would say something, or do something, and upset the other. Sometimes she wondered why she even bothered at all.

Part of the problem is that many dragons spurn their roots. There are many who flee from Threadfall instead of face it, or, because the lifestyle is not ideal, they refused to return. I suppose all we can do is our best, and try to make the world better for it. That's all any of us can hope to do. This was not directed at Sharath, though she was certain the other gold might take it as such.

She was no the only queen who traded in firestone or metals. Rhianth had taken a similar path, and there were many dragons out there that refused to heed he call. Fianth had always watched as dragons would graduate, and then disappear forever; not from death, but because the call of a different lifestyle suited them. While this was acceptable before Thread fell, now that their Enemy returned, many still stayed far from the Weyrs. Was it work that they feared, or a injury, or death? The Weyrs needed more than just queens -- dragons of all colors were needed to help bolster numbers and fight. But, what could they do? Unless Eveleth demanded that they command the outsiders back, all the High Reaches could do was hope others would return for the benefit of Pern.

There was nothing more to say, really. Though she would always offer Sharath a home, she knew he gold would likely forever spurn it. She never understood why, really. When the gold asked if she traveled outside the Weyr, Fianth's eyes whirled more green. Of course. My rider and I travel to Telgar frequently, to help rebuild, and to let her visit her family and friends; I've hunted in these mountains, over the plains of Keroon, and the forests of Nerat; I've bathed in the oceans of the Southern Continent, and sunned in the deserts of Igen. I've made plenty of visits to all the Weyrs of Pern, either as an invited guest, or to allow my rider to attend political matters. I fly over all of High Reaches territory regularly, and aid ground crews post-Threadfall, and fight weekly to protect the land with my riders flamethrower. Do you think I am stuck to this stone and never spread my wings? There was the equivalent of a good humored smile in her words. She did not know why Sharath wold ask such a question - - she had wings, she had eyes, and her presence (or at least her riders) was requested frequently outside of the Weyr.

She had not traveled as frequently to Western -- and with Thread's return they did not travel as far as often as before -- but she would never consider herself trapped.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Waiver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:10 pm
Sharath's lips curled into a defensive sneer as the other commented on leaving because the lifestyle was not ideal. She had left because there was no space for her here, not because spurned her roots! The gold's tail flicked and the offended rumble started deep in Sharath's chest as she responded, Those who choose to be ground beneath the boots of tradition might as well be blind herdbeasts, Fianth. I will start something new, away from here, and they will face it. I have not run from my duties once, nor has Mine. The rumble got louder, daring the other to challenge her statements, Even now, Mine is working as hard as any of the drudges or weyrwomen, ensuring your Weyr is well supplied with firestone at reasonable prices. To imply the only right way lies within the Weyr is blind.

These arguments were among the many reasons Sharath had eventually left and even just the tip of such a debate reminded her how little she wanted to be constrained by the expectations of High Reaches. Name another Goldrider who spent nearly every day delivering firestone to Weyrs in need, waist deep in Thread infested fields, or dancing along the blade that was trading with Gansley. Her tail twitched again, angrily.

The list of official, and unofficial reasons for globetrotting did little to improve Sharath's mood. She had travelled the world too, but never as an envoy or leader... and Hers had always been just another visitor, not quite an esteemed guest. Sharath craved that power, that respect, and that responsibility so dearly.... but she wanted it on her terms and thus far failed to achieve them. Some do not fall into power or prestige like that. She shot back, childishly. Sharath disliked being reminded of her failures when she strove so much to achieve her goals. It was ironic that she could have something like that too, if she was willing to bend a knee in deference to someone else.

For as much as Sharath had changed, and matured, some lessons still had not sunk in through her ambitious hide. I think you lose touch with the world if you don't live among them. The gold was unsettled once more, the embers of her temper kindled. Her eyes whirled orange-red-blue and she could feel her rider reaching out to inquire after her anxiety. Ameliah would make a fine Weyrwoman one day, and Sharath would ensure it. She'd promised it from the very beginning.

Below, Ameliah cussed loudly enough to draw attention and frowned as she mentally tried to calm the agitated Queen. There really was no need to start fight.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:51 pm
Waiver

Fianth watched unperturbed as her daughter bared her fangs at her. Her eyes did not change color, and she did not give into the other gold's anger and rage. The two of them had never seen eye to eye, and part of the queen wondered why she even bothered to be civil. It was this sort of anger, this sort of attitude, that would likely hurt, more than help; and if Fianth were any other queen, she would not have tolerated such treatment.

As it stood, the pale gold simply watched Sharath...perhaps with a touch of pity. Her daughter so badly wanted power, wanted to rise up in the ranks, and yet... Here she stood, unable even to be civil in the presence of her own dam, and as a guest to the Weyr. No, the gold had a lot to learn, but it seemed as if she would not do so here. Sharath was no threat to Fianth, and so, she completely disregarded her posturing, her aggression, and her anger.

But it was, as usual, noted.

What is it that you want, Sharath? Truly? Whatever happened to you to cause such bitterness in our ways? She asked calmly, with her usual gentility. I believe you can do anything you want, but there is no shame in following tradition, either. High Reaches Weyr might not be perfect, but we serve the people of Pern well, and have given freely our time, our support, our advice to Weyrs all over Pern. Do we not also protect you and yours when Thread falls over Nabol? Do we not give our lives so you and other traders can continue making your marks? What would you do that would be so different if you ruled the Weyr? She asked, genuinely curious.

Honestly, Fianth just wanted to understand. What had she done to produce such an angry daughter? If Sharath thought that she and Olliah had not worked hard, then she was truly mistaken. All the sacrifices they, and other Weyr dragons had made.... No, Fianth did not like Sharath thinking calling any within her weyr blind herdbeasts.

I never said you did not work hard. You are twisting my words to scar your own hearts. I simply said that part of the problem is that so many do not rise up and fight. Not all who are out there are actually providing or aiding in Pern's survival. There are dragons out there who cold be put to great use here, or in other Weyrs. But, we will persevere. Our new generations ensure that. She leaned down to groom at her claws, if only to assure any nearby that she was unphased by the aggressive and temperamental guest. It wasn't as if this display went unnoticed...

You might lose touch if you don't live among them, but we of the Weyrs will die for them.

Fianth was a patient dragon, but this was her Weyr, and her family, and her loves, and her children. Her golden daughter might snarl and threaten Fianth... but she would not tolerate abuse to those who remained. Whether they did so out of duty, loyalty, or simply because they had no other choice... they still came, and they still fought.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Waiver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:55 pm
Ameliah's attention had become consumed with calming the gold and Sharath visibly stiffened as the internal struggle caused her eyes to whirl unhappy colours. The question, however, drew both the rider's and gold's attention and she lifted her head to stare at her calmly preening superior. Even now she knew how low upon the ranks she sat and it chafed.

What I want is to lead. Nothing more. I cherish the others as much as you do, want naught but for them to thrive even when Thread falls. I want the respect – and freedom – of a Senior. The queen's mood shifted abruptly out of anger, her eyes whirling sadly, I know where I stand next to you, Fianth, to any other Queen on Pern. I am keenly aware of it and I loathe it. I would be beholden to none if I truly lead.

She scoffed at the bitterness, a great gust of air from her lungs as she gripped the stone strong enough to leave gouges in it. You know that as well I do. Mine was so very unhappy, High Reaches' traditions is based more on hide than merit – it's true, don't try to deny it. Mine never agreed with it and she, we, were held down for it. What would she do differently? What indeed!

Sharath fell silent as she gathered her thoughts, eyes still whirling with hints of red and orange but diverting questions to her passions, and dreams, had always helped to take the edge off her temper. I would respect the chromatics... bronzes have stamina, yes, but they are not always wise nor are their experiences the same as a white's or a green's... I would ensure all had opportunities for growth and the efforts against Thread conducted according to their passion, or skill. Western's ideals are worth consideration. High Reaches is too... set to consider them but this is my home, not there. Sharath didn't even realize the slip as she continued.

And I would not brook the corruption in Nabol – you have not lived there, have not seen the pain or exploitation as close. Mine works with the miners, there are children, elderly... even those in their prime barely surviving. They are worked too hard and have no passion, just a need to survive. And that's just the mines... the Hold can be worse. Rumours abound of riders who rescue people here and there... but what kind of leader tolerates such treatments of her Weyr that she would only liberate handfuls rather then cauterize the wound? High Reaches is responsible not just for the Weyr and the skies above the land, but for the well being of those upon the land as well. If they prosper, we prosper.

Sharath fell silent, tossing her head. She was unapologetic about her opinions, and freely gave them... a change from the last time she had engaged in any sort of moral or philosophical debate. I would sacrifice myself as well, if need be. You know that, if nothing else... She rumbled, wings drooping just a bit. Sharath had such plans, such dreams and hopes.
Masterharper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am
Waiver

Fianth paused in her grooming to turn her green and yellow tinged eyes back at the other gold when she spoke. She was not trying to upset the stranger, or flaunt her rank -- had she not approached Sharath? had she not let the others posturing flow off her back like water from the rain? Fianth was no fool. Eveleth was no doubt watching the display, and if nothing else, other dragons might be, too. She did not wish to make matters worse, or get the gold or her rider in trouble. Not over a heated discussion and debate.

So she let herself relax once more, and considered the others words.

These are all admirable qualities, and all befitting a queen. She complimented sincerely, coiling her tail loosely about her, its earlier twitching subsided. You certainly have the passion and drive, and I have no doubt you would lead a Weyr well. But Sharath, while you believe Eveleth and I free, you are quite mistaken. Our job is to serve -- it is a mistake to think we are beholden to none. We were beholden to all within the Weyr, and to ensure that our children are trained, our dragons are healthy, our riders and weyrfolk secure, and that we are always in a place to continue the fight. We are not free to do what we wish on a whim; we are not free to come and go as we please, or to solely dominate and conque... we must choose our battles. Eveleth and hers might ultimately give orders, but do you think they give them blindly or considering what is best? Just because my rider and I have this title does not mean I do not speak with Uridith, or consider her view points; or any of the other queens whom call High Reaches their Weyr. Any one of them might someday take my position, or Eveleths -- you too might have become a favored queen to lead. But these positions are rarely granted right out of the egg. She was certainly not trying to patronize the other queen, but she wanted the other to know that their lives were not all domination and power.

Yes, this was Eveleth's Weyr.... and yes, the older queen cherished the power more than Fianth did. But the queen did not rule with an iron claw until others tried to push and bully her into changing her view. Eveleth and Zheria could be fierce and stubborn... but they were not blind, or deaf.

Fianth gave a small sigh herself, glancing away from Sharath to look down over the Bowl of the Weyr. The young ones were still practicing, tumbling about, stretching their wings, preparing for the months ahead when they would take their first flights. She watched as greens and blues came and went from their ledges, and caught sight of the browns and bronzes high upon the heights. The Weyr was always full of activity, and she was proud of the dragons, and the people, that called it home. But she also understood the discontent and unrest that stirred. The same discontent that upset Sharath. I know it was not easy for you and Yours. You were so strong willed. There was pride in her voice, for Sharath was nothing, if not, a dominant queen. It was both her strength and her weakness. The Weyrleadership before us, and the leadership now... They do not care for dissent. Would you wish to promote those who stood against your ideals? There are dragons at Western that do not care for their council, and others still who might prefer a different system entirely. Would you not strive to keep your Weyrs ways if you thought and believed it the best way to keep their loved ones safe? She asked these words gently, for she did understand why Eveleth and Thistreth, along with their riders, kept to the old ways. She knew they believed, for better or worse, that Pern was saved by focusing on what their riders and mounts did best. Fianth knew, better than most, how limiting the old traditions could be...

But.

She was a loyal queen, and felt she could do more in her current role than rising up to dissent with the masses. And while there were some who were discontent, not everyone was unhappy. D'mon and Zheria did not mind transferring those who were unhappy out.

Once again, Fianth listened. What Sharath described was much like Western, and it surprised her that the queen did not strive to spend more time in such a setting. Do you think I do not respect my fellow chromatics or the hard work they put in? Do you believe Thistreth's does not consider who he puts in charge to lead his riders? Perhaps they are of one color, but would you begrudge them if they served their wingmen and the people of Pern well? The current leadership might not be keen to consider such changes as you bring, but they will not be in the Weyr forever... and who knows what will happen over time? Perhaps Western's way will work wonders and other Weyrs follow their system; perhaps not. If both ways work, is it fair to call one of them wrong?

When Sharath brought up Nabol, Fianth did turn to look back at the other queen sharply. Her green eyes were tinged with a bit of orange-red in indignation, and her nose flared a moment. Just as quickly, she allowed the green to return, her own claws digging into the stony ledge.

Do you think we sit back and simply laugh at their plight? Do you think Eveleth's -- native to Nabol, and in the very position you describe -- does nothing? Sharath, there is more to this situation than you realize, but I wouldn't expect you to understand. The Weyrs of Pern traditionally do not interfere with the lot of Holds -- we are to be impartial. Do you not think Eveleth's wishes that she could simply crush the Lord Holder and his corrupted kin? Do you not think that she grieves over those that are not saved?

The Lord of Nabol is a powerful man, and it is not just Nabol that is corrupt. If we strike down one man, would we not be called upon to do it again, and again, and again, on any Pernese that would be so cruel? If we invade a Hold, would not the world come to fear us? There is corruption in the hearts of men.... and there is corruption in the hearts of riders. It could easy turn into dragon against dragon, and many more innocent lives would be hurt. Zheria stays her hand, not because she abides his corruption, but because it is what a good leader must do.

Where, exactly, would this sort of power end once begun? Do you think just because a new Lord entered, he would treat the land better? What of his heirs? Would we steal that right from them out of fear? And what of his minor holders, his hired people, his cotholders, who are responsible for their own people? Would we crush them as well? And do you think the other Holds would stand idly by? Nabol has its own friends in other Holds -- whether they agree with him or not.

Where would it end, Sharath? When all of Pern is at peace and harmony?

We do what we can to keep the peace. While you may not agree with our impartiality, it is what the Weyrs were meant to be. We are protectors against Threadfall for all of Pern -- including those we might otherwise loathe. We are not an army for the Holds, and tipping that balance of power would be most unwise.

It was not so easy as simply taking out the Lord of Nabol. Holds wold live in fear of riders; riders might well take advantage of their power; Holds could turn against the Weyrs in fear - and there were substantially more of them than there were dragons. No, there were reasons the Weyr did not come down on Nabol and force its hand -- and they stretched far beyond the reach of the Lord Holder.

Furthermore, not that Fianth would admit such a thing, but did Sharath really believe Zheria had not already tried? It wasn't easy killing the most hated man on Pern... especially when he was prepared for it.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Waiver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm
Shararth sighed, tossing her head. Those responsibilities, that weight, is was what she desired. I am aware of that, Fianth. I do no fear those ties, I want them. I do not like my very autonomy at the mercy of anyone – that is the freedom I speak of. Sharath had never taken commands well and her... ambitious ways had raised enough ire a few times to warrant such exercise of power. It always made things worse and had left such a bitter taste that she'd never forgotten it.

Her gaze shifted back to the Weyrlings below, and the dragons around. Part of her pride screamed at her for being here, another part remembered the warmth of familiar ledges. She knew she'd been childish, naive... a handful for the Weyr and her rider alike. The nicknanmes they'd been given had, for the most part, been well earned. Sharath knew that now but she didn't know how to mend those wounds let alone know if she was ready to. There was something seductive and being beholden to none but your own demands... but nice as it was, it had never tempted her from her path for long.

Sharath's head rose again, to look at Fianth as she asked her questions, If you surround yourself with the same views, nothing changes and your prejudices only run deeper. I've seen that first hand. I would welcome opposition as it would push me to better defend my choices... or change them if my wisdom was not enough. I am stubborn, not inflexible. The last question gave her pause, her wings resettling against her sides as she shifted on her perch and considered the question seriously. Would she? If she were honest, the answer was yes... I would defend my Weyr's ways yes, but only insofar as they did not suffer and dissent did not fester. If change was needed, I would embrace it not resist it.

Sharath knew the leadership considered their picks but limited those selections often for no reason beyond deeply seated biases. You can run a wing well and train your riders well but still refuse to consider an opinion or experience unless it comes from a certain kind of rider – that inequity makes no sense to me. Or the respect shown to a goldrider defaulting to something more deep than that shown to a blue or greenrider. That especially rubs Mine the wrong way. She huffed. If that were true, High Reaches would not be so keen to resist considering the best parts of Western's approach.

She caught that whirling colour of irritation and tensed, wondering if she'd managed to cut deeply enough to turn Fianth on her too. She would never admit aloud that she was glad when the other chose to speak rather than lash out. I never said you watch and laugh. I said more could be done – and it can. If ever there a thing I would even consider cooperating with Eveleth about, it would be the removal of Gansley and his ilk. There are history scrolls of times past when Holders marched on Holders and solved their issues but it would be foolish to think the Weyrs were not involved.

Sharath's eyes whirled yellow as the other pressed her with sharper questions, things the queen could not easily refute. Perhaps Ganleys needs to be reminded who guards the skies above his Hold, his land... his contacts. Perhaps there are less obvious ways to engineer a solution. I hope – and expect – that this is being explored otherwise I am sorely disappointed. It does not need to be open violence, I haven't asked for that. Her voice rumbled, head lowered defensively. We may be meant to protect the skies, but what happens when the Holders cannot protect themselves from corruption within? Is a Hold gripped by poverty, sickness, and exploitation what we want to defend? No one chooses to be enslaved and miserable. Is your impartiality so important as to allow that corruption to spread and sink ever deeper into Pern? While some might be afraid, if the Weyrs moved, yes, but those freed might be grateful – but I don't know that, you tell me. Are the ones High Reaches rescues glad, or not, to find themselves with opportunities and autonomy?

She lifted her head to look at the spires of the Weyr and watchdragon posts, Didn't apathy and complacency also result in Pern being sorely unprepared for the return of the Red Star? At what point does neutrality become more harmful than good? That is the question I ask, Rhianth, and I expect there to be more effort than what small pieces I have seen. I haven't once claimed to know the full picture but from the outside, it does not look like much.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 am
Waiver

Fianth quietly listened to her first daughter, turning to gaze back down at the weyrbowl, and to watch the little weyrlings in their play. She was glad that the other queen was actually speaking to her, and had seemed to come more to a civil discussion than defense and wrath. That was a good step towards finding some sort of common ground, or perhaps, trying to heal any wounds she inadvertently had caused Sharath.

There will always be some form of dissent, Sharath. No Weyr is perfect, and while even I might not always agree with Eveleth's and Thistreth's choices, I also know they are set in their ways. Sometimes, you must pick and choose your battles, and change what you kind, with what power you've been given. I cannot sway Eveleth's mind on certain matters, but I can reason with her, or speak to her on behalf of those she would never listen to on her own. Fianth knew that if something were to happen to Eveleth, she would preside over the Weyr until Fianth rose, or another queen was to grab the title. If she were to become Weyrwoman, what might Olliah and she do? But if she did not, at least she was in a position to do what little she could, while she could.

Eveleth and Thistreth, and Theirs, do defend their stances. They do not sit here to rule and dominate, but they do keep those beneath them in line. It might be old fashioned, but it also needn't always remain that way. Change could happen, if not by their rule, than by the rules of those that come after. Dragons and riders would always come and go; every Weyr had its own problems, it's own concerns, is own politics. Western Weyr was ruled by vote of a council -- majority ruled -- but could that not also be exploited by favoritism? High Reaches Weyr kept to the old ways, but it also meant the worth of a rider might depend upon his dragon's color, which was not always fair. Fort, Ista, Igen, Benden, Southern, Telgar, Monaco Bay... all of those Weyrs were coming into their own, figuring out their own cultures and what worked best in their Weyr. Just like the Lord Holders of the land, every Weyr was as different and diverse as the Holds,with their own politics.

If you think us complacent, or weak, than that is your view and I cannot change it. We must focus our energies on defending against the skies, though I know Eveleth's does what she can. You might think we do nothing, but it would be foolish to reveal our hand. If you wish to help, than speak to Eveleth, but know that Nabol is not alone. You focus on Nabol because they make it plain what they do, but one must always consider the consequence of their actions. We are not the rulers of Pern -- we are but the guardians against Thread. We will guard Nabol because there are innocents there, people who deserve our protection; not everyone there falls on the line of abuser or the abused. If we make obvious threats against Nabol, do you not think they would retaliate? Do you not think that other Holds wold object about a gross over reach of power? I wish it were as easy as simply coming down and demanding they stop the abuses against their people, or bringing dragons in to guard.... But, we do what we can..and I will not be shamed for it, or let my kin be shamed or guilted for it, either. Fianth did not like Sharath's accusations that they were idle, or some how not doing enough-- but she was not going to fight the other gold. Sharath, at this point, would never understand. It was the clear the other queen felt she had the all the answers, and nothing Fianth could say would appease her.

It was easy to judge from a distance. Did Sharath judge Benden for its allowance of the just as corrupt Bitra? Telgar for Crom, who had heavy ties and allegiances with Gansley? Even Rivercrest Hold on the Western Continent abided lawlessness, pirates, and had its own form of corruption and questionable activities. And what of Telgar with its rigidness and its quet imprisonment and slaughter of pirates and outlaws? Did that bother her, too? Evil was abundant on Pern, but she would not let Sharath shame her, or her Weyr, on what they were or were not doing about Nabol's people. This was not some Harper's Tale, after all; the answers weren't always so easy, and happy endings never assured.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Waiver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:01 pm
Masterharper

Sharath sighed, And what if they refused to hear you? Even if your hide glistens like theirs? What then? A leaders' place is to be challenged, even when operating on a traditional basis. Imagine your opinions, even when picked carefully, being discounted regardless of your hide or rank. If things can be changed, for the better, is it not our responsibilities to pursue that – difference in views or not? This was part of why she'd left... 'pick your battles', 'change is slow', 'traditions run strong'... they were all phrases she found inadequate after a time. Sharath was not one to simply settle in and accept her lot in life – she spoke up, she demanded attention, she demanded respect, and she questioned 'superiors'. Granted, her skills weren't the sharpest and she had made mistakes but she firmly held to her beliefs and it had made some enemies.

As far as she was concerned, the meek could not bring change.

The gold rumbled as Fianth mistook her, a shot of red-orange whirling briefly through her gaze, If I give High Reaches credit for anything, it is preparation for Thread. It is the complacency of other Weyrs that has landed Pern in its current situation. If there is more being done behind the scenes then I am glad to hear it – and I urge more to be done.

The red-orange faded as the blues deepened brighter, indicative of her ambitions rising, As I already said, if there were one thing I would even consider cooperating with Eveleth on, it would be eradication of the exploitation festering in Nabol. And if there are subtler answers required... Nabol trades in firestone – Mine knows those mines as if they were home. She knows the richest veins, many of the workers... and it is that resource that brings much wealth and power to Nabol isn't it? If direct threats do not work, then trade limitations might. Nabol is not the only place where Firestone is found.

I'm not looking for assurances or words, Fianth. I'm asking for action, proof of things being done. And I have not once said I am unwilling to work towards those shared goals. If you would hold that against me, then that is your fault, not mine. I will not be shamed for demanding better of people – and dragons – or for denouncing atrocities. The blue was swirling with the orange of passion, tail lashing from side to side.

She felt as if she were speaking to a cliff face. Two forces not at odds but nonetheless incompatible, and it chafed something fierce. Yet again, Sharath was glad her 'place' was not among those of the Weyr... not when her zeal and opinions were so swiftly swept aside. She wasn't asking for her word to rule, she was demanding leadership consider the view.

Perhaps you are the wrong one to speak to. If you prefer not to take the insights gathered here and do something with it, I will simply move on to another who might. I am, after all, quite used to championing my own causes with no support from my 'peers'. It was a low blow, the result of frustration and unhappy memories. She didn't really know how to ask for help either... her pride and ambition made it extremely difficult at the best of times and as territorial as she was, asking the aid of another gold was that much more... bitter.

Sharath ruffled her wings, reaching out to Ameliah with an impatient 'are you done yet?'. She felt as if this conversation was verging on utterly fruitless. Nothing would come of it, as usual. Better to just fend off the advances with snarls and snaps than trade in banter that always ended up with her on the outside looking in. Less time was wasted that way, and less opportunity to look vulnerable.

Ameliah's attention was diverted when the response came, a simple 'soon' that implied the miner was in the midst of an interesting conversation or other. Sharath's mood soured further and she considered soaring while she waited.  
[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games