[PRP]Tale as Old as Time, Gold, Would You Be Mine?[Krah/Fia]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 pm
The sun was high, bright and golden where it peeked out between two of the seven spires that ringed half the lip of High Reaches Weyr. Dragons flew, high and low in all directions, ducking in and out of the uncountable number of dark openings that peppered the walls of their home. Some flew in formation, but many did not. It was midday, and their riders had gone down or in or out to eat—Krahsujunth's among them, at the side of her new mate. He supposed that was the term for Nessuth's rider, given the sense of permanence that'd been lent to his changes within V'rind's weyr. The blue didn't much care for the man, frankly, but no one would ever be good enough for his V'rind. He respected the man's drive though. He was determined, and had pursued his interest even in the face of her aggression, and his own threats. It was a respectable thing, to keep up the fight, the chase, until at last he'd been chosen, bid to stay at his chosen lady's side.

It was a pursuit the blue also knew well, had become intimately familiar with over turns and turns. Some days he felt the ache of his heart more than the pain in his wings and chest, strained though they were after just one more race, one more desperate grab. But then a glint of gold would flash across the sky—ah! There!—like a shooting star and he'd remember that strange blissful feeling, like falling, with no fear of hitting the earth. The merest sight of her could restore him. The sight of her at peace, content, even at the side of another, and knowing that if ever her eye came to rest on him he'd surely fall between then and there...

The blue heaved a sigh, letting his chin come to rest on the lip of his ledge, pushing the thoughts of her away. Down below he could see the hatchlings—young weyrlings now—gamboling about in one of their training games or other. Had he ever been that small? He felt like he must not have been, not ever. He remembered when she had been though...and there were his thoughts again, betraying his hope to shake the shadow she cast over him.

Ah well. Maybe he was simply doomed. Doomed to love, there were worse things. Probably.

He may as well give in, he supposed, resettling his wings and drawing up the beginning of what he'd been working on, calling the words back to mind. His rider was no harper, nor was he, and probably that was why the devotion he'd wanted to give words to had taken so long. That, and he really couldn't think of anything that rhymed with 'mountain'...ah! Fountain! The blue's eyes whirled with pleasure, as if finding the right word had gotten him a step closer to his desire, and not just to finishing his current fixation.

Masterharper
Sap sap sap sap saaaap. Someone better get the drip pots so we don't waste all this potential syrup.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 am
ShinosBee
I think we're going to wind up running a syrup shop when these two get going, Shinos.

It was midday and the gold had flown in from High Reaches Hold. She had been out of the Weyr that morning with her rider, to facilitate discussions about the next six-month's tithes. While High Reaches Hold regularly sent tithes to the Weyr, it had not gone unnoticed that the quality of some of the animals sent were unhealthy in their latest tithe. While the Weyr knew certain Holds were more stingy with their tithes than others, there was an expectation of minimum quality. Being sent sick or ill animals wasn't to be tolerated, and Olliah had been tasked with finding out if it had been purposeful, or simply an oversight; if the animals had been grown sick on the way, or if one of High Reaches minor holds or cot-holds was raising sickly stock. It turned out that it was the latter, though why the Hold hadn't told the Weyr of such a thing made Olliah grimace.

The discussions lasted longer than Olliah would have liked, and by the time she had parted, she had a laundry list of concerns from the neighboring Hold, along with a need to have their local Master Beastcrafters to pay a call on some of those of minor Holds. Olliah would feel safer if they confirmed the sicker an weaker stock wasn't plagued, and while the animals were in quarantine outside the Weyr, she didn't want to take any chances.

Fianth knew her rider was a bit dismayed. High Reaches Hold and the Weyr had one of the better relationships, so simply forgetting to notify them of ill stock was discouraging. Especially since the Tillek-bred girl had lived more than a few turns under High Reaches care. Well, there was nothing to be done but to investigate, and further talk.

Once her rider had landed, and freed her of her riding straps, Olliah had immediately left -- not to lunch with the others -- but to write up her report for Zheria and D'mon. Fianth watched as the woman went to leave for her work quarter, so she might go straight to work. "Go enjoy the sun for me, won't you pet? And don't look at me like that," Olliah laughed, glancing back at the door. "This has to get done. I'll get lunch after, promise. " Fianth said nothing as her rider blew her a kiss before leaving. She always hated to see her most precious rider go, but the gold knew that they both had duty; getting Olliah to stop when there was something that needed fixing was about as likely as Lord Gansley from Nabol deciding to give his wealth away to the poor. It just wasn't going to happen.

So, the gold took a few moments to decide what next to do. She peeked her head outside of her ledge, looking up at all the dragons coming and going. Sometimes she missed having a higher ledge on which to perch. While the Weyrwoman Second's quarters were some of the larger rooms in the Weyr, most of the amenities were conveniences for her rider. What good was an extra large rockbed or larger ledges when she had no one to share them? The weyrs weren't extra large so as to fit just an overly bulky gold; Fianth knew they were there for golds and their chosen bronzes of choice.

Shaking herself free from the thought of irritation and aggravation -- she would likely never forget Yisketh's riders betrayal -- she decided that maybe a spot of company would do her good. Maybe she should reach out and see if anyone would mind a spot of company. Giving her wings a broad stretch, the gold launched herself from the ledge, giving a few powerful downstrokes to gather some altitude. She wasn't as awkward taking off as some of the larger dragons, and she was quick to catch an afternoon thermal. Her eyes glanced about as she tried to find a perfect perch, and perhaps, just as good company.

Oh, there were many dragons she could have chosen to sit near that day, but as she circled the Bowl, her eye was caught by a dusky blue lying, perhaps a bit forlornly, on his current perch. She knew who the blue dragon was, perhaps better than more; he was the one that always was gossipped about in his attempts to woo the golds of the Weyr. She had seen him in her own flights, and knew he had been the one to give Yisketh some of his more uglier scars. Something which the gold secretly approved of. Ah, but she also knew him because he had chosen a woman for a rider, and often times she heard riders grumble about such an anomaly. Over the turns that Fianth had known of Krahsujunth, she knew he was a blue with his own unique desires, wants, and wishes. For some Turns now she'd been trying hard to ignore him. Her rider hadn't wanted to cause trouble, or worse, to unintentionally lead the poor blue on. Fianth had been given excuse after excuse about why she shouldn't get to know the dragon, but today... Well, today Fianth wanted to do something for herself.

Besides, he did look rather forlorn. Perhaps she could say hello, and cheer him up?

She was the Weyrwoman Second, after all. And if anyone had the gall to lecture her bout who she could and could not be seen with, they would find her scorn. Being friendly never hurt, anyway. So, Fianth banked, and headed over to where Krahjusnth sat. Greetings, Krahsujunth. Might I share this ledge with you to sun today? She landed lightly on the edge, but did not settle herself entirely; it would be rude to assume he would want her there, so if he denied her request, she could quickly head off elsewhere.

She might be a gold, but she didn't have to be rude.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:57 pm
Ten turns ago Krahsujunth would have been on high alert the moment that particular gold came soaring back from wherever she'd been. Up, on his feet, trumpeting a welcome home that was either lost amidst the general roar of so many dragons, or ignored. He'd been young, and over-eager, and she hand't even disregarded him...because that much alone would mean she'd have to have noticed him in the first place. Bad luck, most of it had been, as she had obviously seen him in passing and knew his name, or reputation if little else, but he'd always had the misfortune of looking away before she turned her head, and it'd seemed almost as if he had been going about invisible for so many turns. It had tempered his excitement, given him patience, if at the cost of that pure, light-hearted thrill at the simple sight of her.

He did take note when she departed her ledge again, circling the weyrbowl with a natural ease in the air that'd always drawn him towards her, and filled his mind so entirely that whatever words he'd been trying to string together flew back apart like scattering firelizards. How could any bronze see her and not want to give chase? Any brown, any blue? Faranth between she was beautiful, but he forced his whirling eyes away with a flash of pale gray-orange. Staring was rude, and V'rind had scolded him about it more than once before. He knew she understood his feelings. More than one long night, usually those following a flight, of course, they'd both sit awake, unable to rest, and she would cradle his huge head in her lap, stroke his eye ridges and listen to his woes.

Why was, that just because of the color of his hide, he wasn't allowed to amount to anything?

Allowed to amount, not couldn't amount. He was strong, brave, unshakable and driven. He had every quality that went into the epic songs about this or that bronze, even the ego, apparently. He was large, too. The largest blue in the weyr, probably, and larger even than some browns. Very small browns, of course, but... He let his eyes drift down from where they'd glanced up at the circling, resplendent gold again to trail over his frost-touched claws. Maybe if he'd been as dun as the packed earth atop the ledge he would have been all the more trouble for his V'rind...though perhaps then at least a passing glance wouldn't been spent. But...no. That was entirely selfish of him, wasn't it? He knew he'd made trouble for his rider, given her a bad reputation that she said she didn't mind (and he knew the truth, and believed her entirely) and made the both of them something between a nuisance and a joke.

But...maybe if he'd been brown, it wouldn't have seemed so audacious when he asked 'why', or worse, 'why not'.

So intent had grown the blue's introspection that he did not see the gold fix on him, nor bank and turn to dive. The sudden sound of claws on stone alerted him, and made his whirling eyes go wide. A flash of red, though swiftly tamed to a curious mixing mess of green and blue and yellow, purple lingering throughout and even flecks of gray. Fianth. Here? On his ledge that he'd presumed to be all but invisible? His head had come up sharply, lip fit to curl in the same churlish way he'd often greeted Nessuth lately—the tiny brown ridden by the man his V'rind had seemed to settle on—but all went slack at the sight of her. A long, silent minute stretched between them. Hadn't he imagined this moment, or a hundred like it, so many times before? He'd come up with just the thing to say, shard it all, what had it been? The yellow anxiousness in his eyes seemed to swell alarmingly before washing away on a tide of rich indigo, and something that could only be described as the mental equivalent of clearing one's throat finally broke the silence.

...I would say, Fianth, that to hear you ask that of me is a dream finally come true, but I see now that I must be, indeed, dreaming. He stood to move just a bit more to the side, giving her the lion's share of the ledge, but lingering close enough to be politely companionable, and not seem as if he wished to avoid her touch. I've fallen asleep in the sun, I must have. Under his breath, he seemed delighted, and bemused, to think the poem he'd been struggling to create had so aptly come to life behind his closed eyes. The thought that this could not be real loosed his tongue, made him brave and sociable in ways he wasn't usually. Today, or forever and day, Fianth, if there's anything I can do to keep your eyes whirling, happy, and blue...Though I'm sure you've heard far finer offers from many others before.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:56 pm
ShinosBee

The gold was almost surprised when she saw the blue's lip curl into what might have been a snarl or rumble of displeasure, but it disappeared so quickly that the gold might have thought she imagined it. Her blue eyes did whirl faster, a sudden nervousness catching her off guard, as Krahsujunth seemed to stare at her and say nothing.

Had she been wrong in seeking him out?

Very suddenly, Fianth wondered if perhaps she was disturbing the blue. She supposed she could have asked elsewhere from the Bowl; perhaps he didn't wish company, and yet she was already here. Worse, what if the rumors she had heard were wrong? Maybe he did not like her, or begrudged her for not choosing him. A sliver of yellow entered her own eyes, and the small gold wondered if she had made a mistake in approaching. Everything always seemed to come down to her flights... Everything. Did her green sisters have a similar problem when approaching the males? Or was it unique to those of golden hide?

Fianth feared she made a miscalculation as Krah said nothing. The tip of her tail twitched, and she waited for the others judgment or scorn, even as Krah's eyes seemed to whirl completely yellow. Thankfully -- thankfully -- the blue finally broke the silence, and his eyes took on a much more pleasant hue. This allowed her own to resume their deep blue-green whirling.

I assure you, fine Krahsujunth, this is no dream, though I am sorry if I disturbed your rest. It is very kind of you to let me settle here, most uninvited. It seemed as if the blue was happy enough to let her settle. She stepped more fully onto the ledge, and folded her wings delicately to the side. The ledge was a good ledge, and the small gold was quick to settle herself. She did notice that the blue had given her more space than needed. It wasn't necessary, especially given that she had been the one to call upon his ledge. I promise, I am not looking for adoration or praise. Especially not from them. The bronzes and browns of the Weyr could be quite odious in their insincerity; they played a game, and were more interested in gaining her favor than truly loving her. If you wish to keep me happy, then perhaps you might let me linger so we might speak? You have always been nothing but kind to me, and yet, and we do not know each other as well as we ought. I would like to change that, if it is no burden to you. She offered gently, almost meekly, not wanting to assume anything, or disrupt any other plans he might have had this early afternoon.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:06 pm
He honestly wasn't certain he should believe her claim that this was all real. Why him? Why now? A part of him, the part that had been rejected and denied and accused so many times before wanted to even be angry with her over it. But of course, it wasn't her fault. She had had her reasons, no doubt. And the blue knew she owed him absolutely nothing, not the turn of her head or a second of her time. Whatever the cause or reason, she was here now though, and he'd make the most of it. Given, of course, that this wasn't all a dream as he still suspected.

He had sense enough to take her words to heart, whatever song or poem he'd dredged up to spout (as he had in any number of dreams before) was shunted to the side, a look of genuine consideration instead making his head tip slightly to one side in wonder. It made sense, he supposed. He'd heard more than one bronze chattering away among their colormates, talking about this gold or that green as if they weren't even people. Not worth getting to know, beyond what sweet words worked to get them to come to your weyr. Did it change how he felt about her? Was he too entranced with the distant, perfect image of her, despite, as she said, not really knowing her?

He did know her though. As much as he could, for their distance. He'd seen how she treated others, of all colors. Seen how she mothered her eggs. How hard she worked beside her rider. She never ceased to light up the world as she moved through it, always ready to help others or lend an ear to listen when a weyrling had a problem. He'd seen it, from afar. Never wavering, not like the more shallow dragons, who'd pitch in for a turn to earn some prize or favor, then shed all habits that they'd put on like so many spare saddles.

But...it was probably true that she didn't know him. Not the real him. Not the him that was more than the upstart blue, the blue that attacked bronzes mid-flight, the blue that had the gall to be so very unblue. So many things she could have heard about him...and yet she called him kind. It was a good thing that dragons couldn't cry, because he wasn't sure if his tears would be from joy or something far more complicated in this moment. A burden? Fianth, to think that you could ever be a burden...No. No, not at all. Never. A ripple of sincerity, of genuine happiness that he could do for her what she asked, flowed through the blue, making his wings flutter and his tail curl. Even the damaged tip. ...My V'rind has gone away with her man. Nessuth's rider. I'm...sure you've heard that my rider is a woman. He took pride in it too, and would not abide foul talk against his lady, though he did not expect it from this gold, if ever there was one to overlook his eccentricities. It is her rest day, and I am yours for as long as you find my ledge comfortable. But...Fianth, forgive my asking but...Why now?

The question hung in the air, soft and restrained, and almost sad. A flicker of white behind his eyes as he realized what he'd done. Not that I mind, he hastened to add, claws clicking as he pulled himself a few inches closer. ...I would have waited until we'd both gone white with age, and flightless and blind, if that was how long it'd taken for you to want to know me...but if I've done something to catch your eye, I'll be bold enough to admit that I'd like to know, if only to try to do it again. Oh, this was a huge mess. She was going to fly right off and never come back, and he'd have to toss himself between...or pick a fight with Yisketh, who always deserved a beating if you asked him, to try to regain any sense of respect for himself.
Masterharper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:35 pm
ShinosBee

The gold sat on the ledge, listening to Krah's words. She tried to allow herself to relax, but felt a strange feeling; she was . . nervous? It almost felt like what her rider often felt, but this had nothing to do with Olliah, who was too focused on writing a report to even notice were Fianth had gone. No. This feeling was entirely her own. . . and likely well deserved.

Why shouldn't she be nervous?

Maybe it was because she was finally doing something that she wanted to do for a change. While this seemed harmless enough, it was sure to cause some sort of stir; rumors spread faster than wildfire at the Weyr, and Krah was no ordinary blue. No, this was the blue that had yearned for a gold, and seemed quite smitten with her in particular. This was a blue who was often in trouble due to his unconventional way of thinking. Eveleth would certainly not approve, and yet, Fianth did not care. She tried hard to fit into the mold that Eveleth an Zheria desired, just as her rider strove to be ever reliable. Ah,but her nervousness was not just because of what Eveleth might say -- let her mother judge as she wished -- there was no harm in talking to Krahsujunth.

No.

The real fear was that maybe, now that they were together and able to talk, the blue might be disappointed in what she was like. What if he found her to be a fraud, a gold that did not live up to his expectations or hopes? Unlike some other queens, Fianth was not so conceited to believe that dragons should throw themselves at her feet, or like her simply because she had golden hide. Ah, but maybe, even if he did find himself disappointed, at least he would know her as she was; and maybe then, he could move on.

If Fianth didn't like that thought, she kept it hidden deep within her heart. While Krahsujunth may have thought himself well beneath the gold's radar, it was no . . . entirely true.

I am quite aware of your rider. She is fierce and strong, which is needed now that Thread falls. A fitting match for your own fierceness, to be sure. She complimented brightly and sincerely. Fianth often knew who all the women riders were -- at least those who rode anything but green. Blue and brown female riders were brought up often enough by Eveleth or in her riders discussions; and gold riders were always considered by the Weyr to be Important, with a capital I. Ah, but Fianth did not mind. The dragons knew best, after all; to doubt their choice in partner was silly. Did it really matter who the person was, so long as they were capable and able to serve the Weyr and Pern? Ah, but I do appreciate your time. Your ledge is quite comfortable, and I do rather enjoy the higher perch. It's a nice view of our Weyr. It was true. Her own ledge, though closer to the Hatching Sands, an other important areas, was also closer to the ground. Falling off a ledge was far more fun than jumping from one, or so the gold preferred.

Ah, but when Krahsujunth asked the question, Fianth froze. Her eyes dimmed a bit, and her head lowered to her front paws. She glanced away, considering the blue's words carefully. Why had she come today, anyway? What had she expected? For the blue to crow in triumph an rejoice that she was here? That all the past Turns rejection hadn't taken a toll on him? Honestly, Fianth had to wonder if she wasn't as deserving of scars as Yisketh. She could have stood up for Krahsujunth at any point, but she had not done so. There was much she could have done -- but she did not for one reason or another. For sometime she had been smitten with Yisketh, or at least her rider had been with his own; but by the time she had decided the bronze was unworthy, she was Weyrwoman Second, and her riders anxiety over the new role had kept her from causing trouble.

The gold remained quiet for a long moment, before she heaved a sigh, and turned back to Krah. Her eyes whirled slow, but were tinged with a touch of grey in regret. A good question, to be sure, though I fear you will not like my answer. Another small pause, before she gave a small flick of her tail. You were not as invisible as you might think you were, to be sure. I have heard all of your battle cries, and all of her shouts of love and admiration, during my flights. I know what the rumors say, and I have watched you from afar. But I did not dare do more, or approach, for many reasons. I did not wish to cause you and yours more trouble as a youth; and for some time there, I stayed way for my riders sake. She had loved Yisketh's, you realize, though that love has long since passed. She assumed he knew this, but it had been the dominant driving force behind her choosing the scarred up bronze during her younger turns. I kept my distance for my rider, at least for awhile; after she was promoted, she was anxious, worried, afraid the one wrong move would cause the Weyr to collapse, and for her to be spurned. My beloved does worry rather, and is perhaps not as fierce as your own, though she is strong in her own way. It was not a slight -- her rider was quite capable, thankyouvermuch. But Fianth knew of her riders stresses, and had not wished to be one. I am sure this all sounds like petty excuses. But I have served the Weyr well for Turns enough; I am established in my position, and my rider has proven herself. I have followed the rules and wants and desires of Eveleth for Turns enough now, and I grow weary of it. You have been one of the few constants... Is it so wrong to wish to know you better? I don't see how sharing a ledge is so blasphemous, or even sitting close, like this. And the gold scooted a bit closer, slowly bridging more of the distance between the two of them. Ah, but she knew that it wasn't fair to have kept Krahsujunth waiting for so long. She had, perhaps, made a mistake in keeping her distance for so long. "I do not expect your forgiveness, but I . . . I hope you might, maybe, understand my reasons. I should have been bolder, perhaps, but. . . I would like to make up for my delayed introduction, if you'll let me. If it isn't too late? She gave the smallest, softest of creels; a slightly imploring sound, a bit anxious, a bit apologetic. Fianth was not so into herself to not know those that were wounded by the choices she made.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm
Probably if either dragon had had an inkling of the hesitation and worry the other was feeling, both wanting the other to not find them wanting, they would have laughed. How could either know how the other felt without them first telling it though? Emotions were something Krahsujunth had always felt keenly, but either failed to control in terms of his physical outbursts, or failed to put properly into words with any sort of brevity or class. It seemed, to him at least, terribly forward, not to mention basic, rude, and demanding in a way, to simply look Fianth in the eye and tell her in no uncertain terms that he loved her. That he'd always known he preferred golds, wanted to be a father, but that all of that had become only a secondary focus after he'd met her, so many turns ago. If he caught a gold, it'd make her notice him. If he could make a clutch, he'd be good enough. Right? He'd always wanted her heart far more than any place beside her name on some clutch chart record, but all he'd been told for turns about why it would never happen had to do with that facet of their incompatibility. "A blue can't fly a gold." Somehow that had come to mean the same to most as "A blue can't love a gold." Well. Maybe he couldn't fly a gold, but he loved one all the same.

And seeing her hurt, seeing her doubt herself, worry for him and that she'd done him wrong? Yes, he'd been left waiting. Yes, he'd genuinely though himself beneath the line of her eye. Yes, he'd lain awake countless nights wondering what was wrong with him, or what he'd done wrong to be caught in this twisting maelstrom of love and hate, seeing the dragoness he adored give the time of day to anyone but him, it felt...

But she was here, now.

When it'd finally come down to it, when all else had been put aside—fear of harming herself, her rider, fear of harming him (and it was raw joy to even be considered worth such...consideration!), a want to be accepted and make her rider proud, and prove herself strong and wise and capable—when all those needs and fears were put to rest, and Fianth felt secure, safe, free...she had come to his ledge. He wanted her to feel happy, at ease. Even when she hadn't picked him, he'd never harassed her about it, always tried to hide his ire and need when she'd come past later. He supposed he had Yisketh to thank for helping there. The bronze had more than one scar just because Krahsujunth hadn't wanted to remain tense and let it effect how she saw him. Which probably wasn't the best way to release those feelings, but still. He didn't regret it.

No, the fact of the matter was that she could have literally any male in the weyr that she wanted (aside from perhaps those bronzes Eveleth or Uridith had chosen as theirs), and today she had wanted to come get to know him. He glanced down from where he'd been fixated on her face, eyes an unrelenting, unwavering green-blue-purple, to see her inching nearer. He scooted out a claw, daring to brush it against hers and settle there, an intimate if reassuring gesture, and oddly gentle for all his known ferocity. I told you I would have waited, yes? Your reasons are your own, but I appreciate you telling me. It...does help, to know that you saw me. Heard me. I will admit that there have been times when I wondered if I was shouting between, for all the notice it seemed to get me. There was a note of self-deprecating humor to his admission, and a low rumble that was physically audible, a dragon's version of a laugh. Compared to that way, waiting until the end of time for you, a few turns doesn't seem so long. I felt...jealous. Of Yisketh. He has plagued me since my hatching day, and to think that it was my interest in you that drove him to chase in the first place...and knowing how he and his has treated you and yours? No, I must apologize too, Fianth. I'm sure that my involvement, even with your perceived disdain, made trouble for you in one way or another. I cannot quite find it in my hearts to wish I'd done otherwise though...And I hope you can understand my reasons. I would never dare to ask your forgiveness for them—admiration, respect, and love are not things I find I should apologize for, not even to the object of them herself. The royal purple flush of his eyes marked his words as true enough. From afar, and perhaps not elegantly, he had indeed loved her for some time.

He shifted his bulk more fully, swinging around to lay more beside her (though still not touching, save for their claws, that last step was hers to take) rather than facing her across the ledge, and settled in with an air of satisfied ease. So. A new start then. A pleasure to, finally, meet you, Fianth.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:44 pm
ShinosBee

Fianth looked down at the claw that brushed up against her own. Her pale golden claws against his own pale blue. Were they really that different? He was very large for a blue... larger than some browns who had dared to chase her and other queens. He was smaller than her, certainly, but she was also a delicate and petite queen. There were bronzes larger than her. Did size really matter? Did color, for that matter? Fianth understood that everyone within the Weyr had a part, and a place; she would never be as agile or as fast as the green and blues of the Weyr; while she could fly long and hard, she was not nearly as graceful as her smaller kin. Furthermore, she could not flame; she could not fight as dragons ought, but nobody seemed to criticize her for such a thing. Yes, she could clutch babies, but there were some bronzes and even some golds that lacked maternal instinct; and some greens and blues that had it in droves. Deep down, the queen had to wonder if blues were really so deficient as others believed.

It was a quiet thought, one she barely allowed herself to think. It would cause her no end of trouble, and her rider double so. Eveleth would spurn her. The gold, who had tried so hard to appease others, to fit into the perfect queen, to follow the expectations of High Reaches Weyr... She wasn't sure she could continue. The bronzes of the Weyr all but acted like animals; not all, but Fianth was unsure she could trust their motives. Hadn't Yisketh seemed genuine? And some of the browns weren't much better. They vied for power and prestige, and some seemed to spurn her green sisters, as if they were second rate just because of their color. While she understood attraction-- some genuinely just had a preference for one color over another, like Krahsujunth -- she did not care for misogynists. A dragon was more than their color... and her quiet, secret thought was blasphemous.

Fianth loved all the dragons that she had clutched, but had been encouraged to favor the metallics; she had grieved and keened over the babies that had succumbed to thread, or never made it through V'mel's training. Was that so wrong to care? Was it so wrong to do what he wanted, even if she continued with her duty?

The gold did not think so. And while she might be considered a coward, for not crowing loudly this new consideration -- she did not wish even her rider to know such incredulous thoughts -- a seed of change had been planted. Perhaps, with time, it might even sprout of grow. There was no shame in caring... She would provide for the Weyr, as always, but she would fight for her right to choose who she spent time with. She was a gold who would think for herself -- her mother might be clever, but Fianth was clever too. There was no rule saying she had to settle on a bronze for a permanent mate outside of a flight.

I will confess... For many Turns, I did not understand your desire. I suppose I thought that you did it purely for prestige -- if you caught a queen, would it not elevate your status, or your riders? If you caught a gold, would it not shake the Seven Spindles right off their foundation? And yet... Your admiration seemed to linger, where other bronze and browns did not. You seemed sincere and genuine in your care... And I suppose, particularly after Yisketh's manipulation, that I feared such a thing. I thought you might grow weary of me -- and perhaps I still fear that, now that we are talking as we are. But... I do not wish for you to apologize for anything. She gave a small flick of her tail, allowing it to -- tentatively -- touch Krah's own as the blue re-settled a bit closer.

Perhaps the road to this day was filled with hardships and challenges unique to our positions... but we are here now. And I am very glad to finally make your acquaintance, my good Krahsujunth. Her words were gentle, and her eyes whirled a gentle blue-indigo. Content happiness and pleasure seemed to radiate from the gold. The petite queen finally shifted, bridging all distance between herself and the blue-- allowing her body to rest against his, and her tail to loosely twine with his own, if he allowed it. I do believe you are the fiercest dragon in our Weyr. Your claws strike well, if I might be so bold to confess. For being a generally gentle queen, she did still have a vindictive streak. Besides, it was only right to compliment Krah on his ferocity... His feist was intriguing. What bronzes or browns had fought for Eveleth, or even Vimiath for that matter? Not many. But Krah had fought for her.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:01 pm
Krahsujunth had felt nothing like it, like the moment her tail brushed his as she came to rest pressed up to his side. The closest was like...well, like when thread had come sailing in to bite into his rider and his own back. A sudden, potent, gut-wrenching sensation that was white-hot, radiating outwards and unignorable. With thread it had been pain. With Fianth? He was transported. Intoxicated, almost, with a lightning bolt lance of bliss.

His wing flexed, spreading up and over to tuck around her shoulder as best he could manage. It wasn't a perfect fit, and he hesitated to wrap her under it more fully, but...no, this had to be a dream. Or else a dream come true. Was he being too forward, or too demanding? Would she suddenly compare him to any of those bronzes from before, and wonder if he was just trying to stake a claim? Admittedly, if he could he would happily drive off any and all other suitors, but it was her right to pick, wasn't it? Well. For now she'd picked him! He resettled his wing over her with more confidence, but a lingering lightness so she could shrug it off without problem.

He flexed his claws, his chest swelling with pride he couldn't deny. Strong claws to protect our home, and those we--I--care about. It helps that I'm not afraid to use them. And that it's entirely satisfying to sharpen them on a herdbeast or two, or a certain patch of bronze hide. He leaned in almost conspiratorily. I always regretted that I missed his eye. To starve him of the sight of your beauty. I know that would break me, at least.

He sighed, letting the swell of bluster drop. No. as plesant as it is to think on...I have been fierce because I have been angry. Angry at the life forced on me by virtue of the color of my hide. Angry that no matter how hard I have tried, it has not mattered. I must work twice as hard for twice as long to earn half the respect. I have chased golds and thread halfway to the sea and been congratulated for only managing to last the length. Never for any cleverness or decisions I made along the way. It's seemed unfair, though I've no reason to complain. Only it's that I've wanted more for my life. From my life. Have you...ever felt that? Wanted more? A gold was a queen and could hve anything she wanted, after all. Anything but what he was beginning to suspect she might want, if it didn't happen to fit with expectations.

He wanted to know. Even if it was nothing he could help with, or...or even be part of. To know something about her felt like being entrusted with something precious. But was it too soon to expect such a thing to be shared? His tail gently clung to hers, though he was mindful and cautious of letting his damaged tip touch her. It was scarred and rough, and ugly. Not worthy of the astoundingly soft touch of her hide. His eyes never left her, continuing to drink her in, oblivious to any of the other residents of the weyr that might be peeking their way. If there was to be trouble from this, he defermined with a low rumble, he'd bare it all himself. Tell them he'd coerced her if he had to. He would protect her, no matter the cost; doing anything less would be an utter betrayal of her newfound trust and interest, and the very heart of himself.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 pm
ShinosBee

Fianth was surprised, but pleased, when the blue dragon reached out to slip his wing around her. She did not shrug his wing off, but did change her position ever so slightly; she leaned in a bit closer, hoping to allow Krahsujunth's wing a more comfortable position. It was strange, really... When had she lest let herself come to rest against another dragon? While Rintath and Ruvath had been kind enough, she had not been interested in them. She had been kind, and amicable enough after the flight; but she had not encouraged their attentions or affections for long. No, Fianth had firmly, but kindly, ensured they were not to think of her as their possession, or mate, or any such nonsense. No, she would not be so easily fooled again. Not after Yisketh, and his riders vulgar ambitions and betrayal.

While the bronze had been genuinely kind, and Fianth quite charmed as a young queen, as the Turns progressed her riders despair and suspicions had tainted her own view. Had Yisketh caught her out of his own desire? Or had it simply been because of his riders ambitions and desires? She had been foolish as a young queen, caught up in the influence and expectations of Eveleth and others in the Weyr...far too easily fooled. She would not let other bronzes, or even the browns, fool her in such a way again. No. The queen now surveyed the Weyr with an aloofness she had not naturally been born with... but perhaps it would serve them all well going forward. While she did not trust the Yisketh's and Ruvath's and Rintath's of the Weyr... She did, surprisingly enough, trust Krahsujunth.

He had caused quite a ruckus over the Turns, from choosing V'rind to be his, and chasing all the golds in High Reaches. But he, above all else, had been loyal, hadn't he? She knew what the Weyr said about him, and had seen his aching plight, for all that she had kept her distance. No. She wanted to be here, and though she feared that perhaps Krahsujunth would spurn her when he realized her flaws, or removed her from the pedestal in which he might have placed her, she would explore this... No matter what this turned out to be.

Perhaps she would risk her hearts once more... Not on one her rider fancied, no, but this time on someone who she fancied. Surely, she could trust him, couldn't she? Surely, he would be genuine from the start, wouldn't he be?

She was not afraid of the consequence her fraternizing would bring. She was the Weyrwoman Second, was she not? And even then, she was a queen. She'd dare any of them to stare her down and tell her that she was wrong. There is no doubt about it, Krahsujunth... You are the most fearless dragon in High Reaches. There was pride, and perhaps a bit of awe, in her words. Oh, there were dragons, feisty and fierce in their own right. But Krahsujunth did not hesitate to to use teeth or claw against his enemies (real or percieved); he did not care about the rules and restrictions and expectations placed upon him. No. He did what he felt was right; he followed his passions without fear, and was, perhaps, everything Fianth was not.

But maybe from him she could learn.

So, she relaxed against the blue, happy, content, and pleased for the first time in a long time. She let her tail stroke the others in a lazy fashion, glad that she had finally allowed herself this moment.

Fianth listened to Krahsujunth, her eyes whirling a bit faster in alarm as he spoke of his frustrations and ambitions. Her blue-green gaze turned slightly yellow with worry, and perhaps a tinge of grey in guilt and sadness. I'm sorry, Krahsujunth. It is... an unfair system. And she spoke so quietly, privately, only for Krah to hear. She almost expected Eveleth to come down on her in a flurry of wings and talons and rage, but . . . was it not the truth? I have watched many a clever and intelligent dragon be snubbed simply due to their color. And I have watched many an idiot bronze and brown find themselves in a position ill suited to them. She gave a snort and a small rumble her own. Ah, but how long had Fianth played their game? And how long would she continue to do so? While she did not think of others as lesser or different, she also knew she enjoyed benefits granted her because of her color. Benefits others lacked simply because they lacked the metallic sheen. Though, I am afraid I benefit most from the system that puts you and my green sisters down. I have no right to complain, or yearn, when I'm given so much just because I was born a certain color. She sighed, lowering her head so she might rest it upon her-- and Krahsujunth's-- claws. But, for all that I gain, I am also limited by the system. I've not been able to go where I wish, associate with whom I wish, or do what I wish, for all that many queens claim such freedom. Every friendship I make I must wonder if they are being sincere, or if they are simply trying to gain favor. Every move I make gets scrutinized, every word analyzed. Even being here, speaking to you so freely, letting myself linger beneath your wing... You and I will both get trouble for it. And I have already caused you such trouble! She knew that her rider would hear about it, that V'rind would hear about it, that Krah would hear about it and take crap for it, and she was likely to be scolded by Eveleth fiercely.

She did not care what happened to her. She was prepared to face the judgment of the entire Weyr... but she did not wish to cause more problems for Krah. The blue had fought for so long -- would he never get a moments peace?

Masterharper
Vice Captain

ShinosBee

Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:30 am
If only Fianth knew the tremors of uncertainty that even now were flickering in the blue's heart. She surely would not call him fearless if she knew the true him, the one that was worried for every move he was making with her nestled so perfectly at his side. A dream come true, yes, but how fragile was the line he could tread before it snapped, and sent him crashing back into a more sensible waking world? She was the one thing he feared, and despite his complaints and woes, they were all entirely bearable...but her disdain would not be. She was the only one who could hurt him at the hearts. But she'd rested her head on his claws and told him her own woes, and he would gladly die in aching agony if only it were her claws sunk into his hearts and no one else's.

He took a long, deep breath, held it a half beat, and then let go. Like a ripple across sand, he let himself relax. Muscles he hadn't realized where being held tight went lax, and he softened against her side, letting her lean more fully against him, the two of them sinking together, flush and content. his own neck twisted about to let his head rest against her shoulder, deep blue-green eyes whirling contentedly up at the sky and those passing dragons who might happen to see. She was willing to be with him, be seen with him. How could he be anything but proud to be worth such attentions from her? No, he wouldn't hide away. She was the only one he feared, after all, wasn't she? If she was willing to choose him, who on Pern could ever force them apart?

There's nothing for you to apologize to me for, Fianth. The system was in place long before either of us were shelled. That was certainly true. Something born or bred in, from the egg of Faranth herself, perhaps. He had heard rumors, as had they all, of weyrs where love might triumph over rank, but even from those there were no stories that perfectly fit his dream. If he could have half, but not the rest, then this was the half he'd pick every time. Fianth was worth any loss he might suffer, or anything he might miss out on because of choosing to remain here, to bear the slings and arrows of disdain from above. It made her kind words and the gentle feel of her breath against his side all the more wonderful.

A cage is still a cage, even if it has a bit more room and wider bars. He hated that she'd suffered too. If I could widen your bars even an inch I would. Let them blame me for this, I am used to their ire and scorn. It will wash over my wings like cool morning rain, and I will hide you beneath them from it, if you let me. Somehow he suspected that she would not do that. She was so strong, his perfect queen was. Brave and wise, though perhaps she didn't realize it. If he'd had the concept of religion, he would think she was a goddess made flesh, unknowable and untouchable to her foes who should rightly be wary of wronging her. For all its faults, it is this place, our way of living, that let me know you. It is a selfish thing, to be glad that at least we both have been chained here, together, rather than only I alone. You must know that if I had wanted, I could have left any time. Snapped my shackles and fled south. I do believe that more than one wingleader would have been delighted to see the tail end of me. No, there's nothing to apologize for. I chose this, all of it. And I'd choose it again, the blue sighed, holding tight to her for just a moment. ...I'd chose it again every time. Every indignity, every harsh thrown word, every rejection. And I choose all those future troubles too, even if this would be our only day together. I waited so long...but not in vain.

He lifted his head after a time, keeping a watchful, protective eye out for any trouble that might befall them. If ever you doubt my motives, Fianth, I will not blame you for your scrutiny. If it would soothe your hearts to command me to be true in what I feel or think about you, I will submit, and not judge you for it. I care for your comfort and peace of mind,
more even than I care to have your affections.
V'rind held one of his hearts, and Fianth held the other. He knew he could trust her with it. Even if she devoured it, it would always be hers.

Masterharper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:32 am
ShinosBee

Fianth was glad when Krahsujunth more easily relaxed against her. While she knew that there was unspoken tension -- and the Weyr was certainly going to be agog at her behavior -- she didn't want to be a source of stress to the blue. In fact, she felt as though she, too, could relax into his touch, and not have to concern herself with airs or expected behavior. While some queens certainly enjoyed being fawned over by the males of the Weyr, Fianth found herself more and more taxed by it. It was difficult to say who was genuine among them, and honestly, she didn't wish to be simply some prize. She didn't have to worry about that with Krah -- he was here because he wanted to be here, because he knew the reality of their situation. It wasn't some ploy to find favor or rank for his rider; it wasn't some lie just to get her to choose him during her next flight.

This was good. It was nice, it was comfortable, and she was glad to better get to know this fearless blue dragon. It might be unusual in High Reaches Weyr, but Fianth was over it. She was a queen, thank you, and she would make her own choices in whom she gave her time and energy to.

I could never let you do such a thing, Krah. If they have a problem with whom I choose to spend my time with, then let them come and face me directly. Why should it be taboo for me to share a ledge with you? Are any bronzes scorned for taking up mates with our greens? She gave a snort, her eyes flaring a bit red with a deep burning anger. Not at Krah, but at any who might dare to judge her for a harmless act. I might not be fierce like Eveleth, but I am still a queen. Whatever scorn we might face, than we shall face it together. It will not deter me from my choice.

And Krah was her choice.

Though she knew that when she next rose, it wold not be Krah to catch her, try as he might, that didn't make him any less important, or these moments any less sweet. She had a duty to the Weyr, just as Krahsujunth had a duty -- but that did not mean they could not still be together. Fianth was worried that, perhaps, now that she was here, the blue might grow to be disinterested; but, she would not worry about that.

Not yet.

She would simply take this moment by moment, and while she would be cautious with her heart, another part of her hoped that maybe, just maybe, she'd found what she'd been missing. Someone she could be more than just a prized queen, or brood gold.

My Krah, I might be wary, but I would never command you to speak the truth. You have proven yourself time and time again... it was I who was too blind to see it. I simply need to let myself trust once more. You are far too kind, far too good -- and I would never begrudge you if you did cut yourself loose. This Weyr is a strong Weyr, but it is not always kind. Fianth was not blind. Some of the bronze were absolutely despicable, and heir riders even worse! She did not abide by such callousness, or such cruelty, but she also had no sway over Eveleth or Thistreth's policies and allowances.

But I am glad you remained. If he'd left, she might have missed him without ever knowing him. But, now that he was here, she would do what she could to make all the pain and suffering and anger he'd gone through well worth his while.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces