azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:22 pm
The door opened up and Nasir tugged the messenger back up on his shoulder. It wasn't often that he actually came to a place to get a laptop checked out but it was old and he was pretty sure the power supply was going.

Double checking that Trouble was still asleep in his pocket, he went ahead and stepped inside looking around for someone. Mostly because he was a console person, not a laptop person.

... despite that he had used one for years at this point.

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 pm
Erin stretched from her position behind the store's counter, cracking her back from the last two hours of trying to clean off corrosion from a motherboard. She pushed the work to the side, flipping off the ventilation machine and the soldering iron. She'd only started working on motherboards, wondering if her innate ability to make computers work from parts worked at the board level too. She'd had... moderate success, mostly out of dumb luck.

The purple haired young woman blinked as the door opened, jingling a bell above it, and smiled. Oh, a customer. Time for customer service, oh man.

"Hi, welcome to Broken Circuits, how can I help you today?" said Erin in her best 'nice employee' voice she could manage. She vaguely recognized him from one of the restaurants she frequented, though beyond that she couldn't place him.

azuredreams

a-disgruntled-dragon

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 pm
"Hi," Nasir said with a smile, nudging his glasses up on his nose with a push of his finger. His feet carried him to the counter, pulling the strap of the messenger bag over his head and setting it down.

"I think the power supply might be going on my laptop? I was wondering if you could have a look at it?"

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm
"Oh! Of course!" Erin gently guided the computer out of the bag and lifted the lid. She dusted the keyboard off, finger pressing on the power button until the fan flared to life as the laptop jugged its way through its start up.

"What's it been doing?" she asked, looking down at the laptop screen. It was old, it was almost older than most of the units in the shop at the moment. She fished in the bag for the power cable with its giant power "brick" and plugged it into a power strip under the counter. The laptop chugged through the bios and os launch, nothing but a wiggling Windows emblem for at least three minutes. The fan screamed too, the unit already heating up.

... She could sell him a newer laptop for cheaper than to probably fully fix this one, but she'd see what happened. Erin gently kept her hands on the laptop, trying to keep it as cool as possible.

Which was a challenge for once.

azuredreams

a-disgruntled-dragon

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:22 pm
"Overheating, I think? I mean, we've taken really good care of it but it just be getting older and ..." Nasir gestured towards the screen as it took forever to load up. "I haven't used it as much as I used to because what I'm doing for college at the moment doesn't have me needing it that often."

He had a small frown on his face, fiddling with the Sailor Mercury hair clip that was in his hair before he stopped and clicked it back into place. "We've tried everything we can do. You know, cleaning up the files and whatnot? Then it started making-" There was a painful sounding whirring noise.

"That noise."

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 pm
"Oh dear." Even Erin winced. The sound that came out of the laptop, which almost viciously fought against her attempts to keep it cool, sounded pained and incredibly angry. The unit still wouldn't fully boot, just hanging at the logo. She placed her hands on the keyboard, using the tried and true analogue method of feeling for vibrations. No fancy magic here.

Two places it could be. Either the fan, which was a relatively painless fix, or the hard drive which was a much, much more painful fix. And more expensive.

The verdict was not looking good.

"So there's two possible reasons. Either the fan is dead and that's the motor having a fit... or your hard drive is trying to throttle itself. With how long it takes to load, I'm leaning towards your hard drive going bad over the fan." She gave him a little apologetic smile; hard drives could be people's lives sometimes, and the sooner she saved the data the less chance there was for catastrophic life loss. On her end.

"You do have a few options. We can try replacing the hard drive, or we can set you up with a new laptop."

azuredreams

a-disgruntled-dragon

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm
"Yeah ... that's what I was afraid of." Nasir rubbed a hand against his shoulder idly. "Everything I was reading about made me think I'd probably be looking at needing a new laptop but ..."

Not that he wasn't sighing because the laptop had been through college with him and then some.

"If we do a hard drive replacement, you'd be able to move the data over that is on the one going bad?" Or was it in too bad of shape for that? Nasir was not sure. "Really, whatever you think is best is what I'll go with. I don't want to fix the hard drive just to have the fan go bad next and it is old."

So a new one wasn't too bad of an idea.

Meanwhile from his pocket a small pair of brown ears were visible before a pair of eyes were peering out. Eyes that were the exact same shade as Nasir's (and he wasn't paying attention to the fact that Trouble was peeking out anyway).

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:37 pm
"I can - most likely - transfer the data regardless, but your machine's old enough that a new or refurbished computers is your better.... bet..." Erin glanced up from the screen to see a small pair of furry ears and eyes poking out from Nasir's pocket. She blinked and tilted her head, noting that the little creature's eyes were strangely the same shade as Nasir's.

"Uh you have a ... friend... in your pocket there..." she said, staring at the small creature. What she could see of it was super cute, and she sorta wanted to scratch the tops of its head gently.

It kinda reminded her of a squirrel or chipmunk actually...

azuredreams

a-disgruntled-dragon

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:23 pm
"A new one would be fine, I think? Unless you're refurbishing the laptops yourselves?" As he would put faith in something that came from the shop but necessarily a big corporation.

Nasir glanced down as Erin mentioned a friend in his pocket and let out a small 'oh' noise. "Ah, yeah, um ..." His fingers went to rub against Trouble's ears and the flying squirrel pushed into them with a soft sleepy chirp. "His name's Trouble. He's my fami-" He stopped himself mid-word, biting at his bottom lip. "He's special."

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 am
"We have refurbished them ourselves, but honestly we haven't had great experience with them, mostly because Will can't solder transistors to save his life but that's neither here nor there," she said with a shrug of her shoulder. She would definately throw Will under the bus because he was an idiot and there was no reason to have him employed ever.

She bent down and smiled at the little flying squirrel, holding her hand out for the little creature to sniff her if it wanted to. "Trouble is adorable. I like how his eyes match yours, that's nifty. Did you hand raise him or something?"

She picked up her mug of tea, the liquid beginning to steam again as she held it in her hands. It was a little odd that he had a flying squirrel in his pocket, but hey! To each their own, ya know.

Maybe he could talk to tiny squirrels or something. Ya never know.

azuredreams

a-disgruntled-dragon

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:51 pm
Nasir could only talk to this particular flying squirrel.

"So a new machine then?" If he was following her correctly. Trouble was sniffing forward, Nasir smiling a little bit at the soft chitter of new people, new smell that he heard. Not that Erin would understand it but at least it sounded like cute noises to her.

"Ah, um ..." His face heated. "Not exactly but close? He lost his family and he bonded with me." A partial truth again. The comment about his eyes was what he was having issue with addressing. "The eye color is because we're bonded." There.

Except that that definitely sounded like a weird magic thing. Nasir mentally sighed at himself.

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm
Whatever Erin was going to say was lost in her throat as she blinked at Nasir, then at the chattering squirrell, then back up at Nasir. Several emotions rolled straight over her face. Curiosity, shock, amazement, and she came back to a distinct excited look, the laptop forgotten.

"Bonded? As in... magic?" she said, her voice softer than she probably needed it to be. He had magic, holy Hylia he had magic too, and a more tangible sect of magic! She scrunched down and put her face level with Trouble's and smiled at him.

"Hylia... that's freaking amazing! All I can do is keep tea cups hot, and computers I build seem to always work, but this is infinitely more epic." Queue magical fangirl mode, activated.

azuredreams

a-disgruntled-dragon

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 pm
"Uh ... yes ..." Nasir looked a touch uneasy responding but he gave her a smile all the same as she continued on and explained she had magic. "I'm, um, a warg? I mean I have other magic ... but being a warg is kind of the biggest deal."

The Hylia thing was cute, if only because Zelda.

a-disgruntled-dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 pm
"A warg? That's like... a familiar, yeh? What do you do as a warg?" she asked, curious what the benefits of such a power was. It sounded super interesting, and you got a friend out of it, so that was cool. Not sure if she'd pursue that path, but it was good to know her options?

Maybe?

azuredreams

a-disgruntled-dragon

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:10 pm
"Basically I can ride along with Trouble, see through his eyes and ears. Kind of direct things a little if I make suggestions?" His fingers smoothed along the top of Trouble's head as he crawled entirely out of Nasir's pocket and settled onto his shoulder.

"... eventually I was able to understand him too but not at the beginning." Not that Trouble was saying much at the moment, not more than yawns.

a-disgruntled-dragon

ashdown

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff