Welcome to Gaia! ::

POKEMON: Eᴛᴇʀɴᴀʟ Rᴇᴠᴏʟᴜᴛɪᴏɴ

Back to Guilds

A Pokemon Roleplaying guild focused on fun and entertainment! We try to keep our members in mind in everything we do! 

Tags: Pokemon, Roleplay, RPing, Gaming, Revolution 

Reply POKEMON: Eᴛᴇʀɴᴀʟ Rᴇᴠᴏʟᴜᴛɪᴏɴ
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Loonamist
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 pm
Here you can find several questions that have been noted from past discussions or queries, and their answers. It's always good to check here first, before asking in the QCC, to see if your question has already been asked, and to just read over to see if there's any information you might need to know, but didn't think to ask yet. Newer additions will be added in red, and the page will continue to be updated as the guild progresses, so be sure to check back in now and then!

Questions have been lumped into categories. Initially, these were placed with pages that they seemed related to-- some were in the Rules, others in the Poke'Mart page, and so on. They have since all been relocated and placed here, with similar organization and categorization, all in one convenient location. If you need to find something specific, we suggest searching key terms and phrases, as the questions are available, even though the answers are kept in spoilers to keep the page neat.

Table of Contents:

Rules Related FAQs
- Starting Out/Journey Questions
- Giveaways
- Daycare
- Battle Mechanics/Questions
-- Gyms
-- Moves
-- Switching Out/Healing Priorities and Mechanics
-- Exp
-- Evolution
- Fishing
- Practicality/Miscellaneous

Attack and Ability Related FAQs
- Attacks
- Abilities

Poke'Mart Related FAQs
- Posting for Items
- TMs and HMs
- Item Questions
-- Balm Mushrooms
-- Mega Stones
-- Berries
-- Exp Share
-- Mysterious Incense
-- Lucky Eggs
-- Rage Candybars
-- Rare Candy
-- Black Flutes

Ranger System Related FAQs

Contest Related FAQs  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:40 pm
Rules Related FAQs

User Image

Starting Out/Journey Questions

Do I have to take a starter pokemon when my character begins their journey?
No. You can opt out : )

Do I have to post in a lab first? Can't I start with my character posting their way to the lab from their hometown?
Sorry, but you do have to do your characters first post in the lab. You can't have them wandering the region before :c

Can I start my character with the pokemon that I want? Can my character have a pokemon before get their starter from a lab?
Yes, but only ones you've claimed for them from giveaways like our monthly horoscope, or holiday events. You can't just give them an Umbreon or fabricate a Clefairy-- but if you've claimed either of those pokemon from a giveaway, then you can have them already in your character's party with whatever back story you want to create for them : )

If having this pokemon is super important to their backstory, but no giveaways have the pokemon available, then you can always make an NPC pokemon for your character to travel with them. However, as an NPC you can't use that pokemon in battle until you've obtained the means to get it. You will also have to note that the pokemon is an NPC pokemon in your posts so that people/mods aren't confused.

If I do opt out of getting a starter, can I give the obedience benefit to a different pokemon?
No, sorry D: Only official starter pokemon get the benefit of being obedient regardless of level. Any other pokemon, even if your character "had it since they were little" would still be prone to disobeying if they leveled over the character's badge obedience. Not to worry though! We do occasionally have obedience transfer events for this reason.

Are all 8 badges of a region required to be able to access Victory Road, like in the games?
Nope~! You can go there whenever, in the guild. The only location restrictions here are ones that are only accessible through HMs like Dive or Surf

If my character is going for badges and also does contests, do they have to choose which one obedience system?
Nope! Whichever gives the higher obedience cap applies, you can use both, or go between them : )

Can you save up travel posts?
No, sorry. You must post three times in an area to travel to a different area unless they have a pokemon with Fly with them, and have the appropriate amount of badges to use it outside of battle.

Do you need to do the 3 travel posts for trains and boats?
Yes, unless your character has a pokemon with the ability to fly, in which case you can "ride a boat/train" in one post for RP purposes in place of flying.

Can you save up item posts for an undecided item?
No, you must post for a specific item, identify in your post what item it is, and how many posts are required to get that item. You can't just save up posts for an undetermined item and then apply them when you decide on an item that you want.

Can you save up pokemon encounter or NPC encounter posts?
Yes you may! You do not have to use encounter posts immediately-- you can save up posts to be used when and where you want

Giveaways

Since pokemon hatch at level 5, can I turn a level 5 pokemon I claimed into an egg, and have my character receive it like that?
Yes you may! So long as the pokemon was claimed through an event (and not caught, obviously), you can introduce a pokemon to your character as an egg. Whether they have to post for it to hatch or not is your choice : )

Can I claim a Crystal Shard instead of a shiny pokemon offered by a giveaway?
Yes! You can forego the shiny pokemon and just claim a Crystal Shard instead if you like. Usually mods will note this as an option in giveaways with shiny pokemon, but sometimes we forget to do so. If we do forget, you can always quote a mod and ask to make sure, but this is typically the standard.

Can I claim a pokemon from a giveaway as non-shiny, even if its offered as shiny?
Yes! You don't have to make a pokemon shiny if you don't want to.

Do I have to claim my birthday shiny pokemon on my birthday?
No, so long as you claim it in the month of your birthday, and state when your birthday is when you do, you're fine : )

If I change my mind on something I claimed from a giveaway, can I exchange it for something else?
Only if it hasn't been given to a character. So long as it hasn't been obtained by a character, you can change it for something else that fits the requirements, but please please tell a mod. PLEASE gonk Even just a comment in the QCC thread, or even a PM. Most of us are in close communication, so if you PM one of us, we'll probably tell everyone else so that no one has to ask about it if they notice something like that

Daycare

When can I send a pokemon to the Daycare? Are there any requirements?
You can send a pokemon to the Daycare after 1) they've been claimed from an event(and assigned to a character) or caught and 2) that character has at least been posted for in the lab. Basically, confirmation that the pokemon is going to the character, and the character is in official existence, even if it's just one post (and it doesn't have to initiate their journey, either)

Does my character have to use the PC system to send a pokemon to the Daycare? Do they have to have caught or encountered the pokemon for it to be sent to the Daycare?
We request that you use the PC system. The character does not have to have caught or encountered the pokemon, but you do have to decide and state which character it's for, so that we can keep track of who's characters have how many pokemon in the Daycare

If I have a pokemon in the Daycare and originally planned to give it to one character, what happens if I change my mind and want to give it to another character?
So long as the 'other character' didn't have three pokemon in the Daycare at the same time, you can just give the pokemon to them without having to worry about anything. If they did have three pokemon, however, you will have to discuss it with a mod to figure out how to handle it. This is to avoid people trying to loophole through the 'three pokemon per character' rule that's in place

Battle Mechanics/Questions

Pokemon/NPC Battles

Can I use extra encounter posts to encounter a horde? Like if an area required 5 posts for a pokemon, could I expend 25 posts to encounter a horde of 5 pokemon?
Yes! So long as you have the required number of posts, you can create your own horde encounter.

Can I skip a wild pokemon battle?
So long as you deduct the correct amount of wild pokemon encounter posts, yes. If you have, say, 13 encounter posts in a 5-encounter cost area, and roll a pokemon and don't want to go through the battle, you can deduct 5 posts and move on to the next wild pokemon you roll. You can't just skip without any cost just because you don't like the roll, though

Can I use more NPC counts to increase the level total cap? Like if the area only allowed their pokemon's levels to add up to 75, could I expend 30 posts to encounter an NPC who's pokemon's levels added up to 150 or less?
Yes you may~

Are STABs a thing here?
No, however Plates (originally intended in the games just for Arceus' type change) include a bonus for same-type moves to replicate STABs to some degree

Gyms

Do we have to battle gyms in order?
Yes, just like in the games, you have to battle them in order. We have the order of gyms (or trials for Alola) for each region listed in the Rules under "Gyms".

Can you rematch gym leaders?
Rematch teams are currently in the works! So hopefully soon we'll have some out to make that option, and multi-TM obtaining, a bit more easy

Moves

Are TMs multi-use or one time use?
TMs are a one-time use in the guild.

If my character gets a pokemon with the move Fly through trade or leveling up (like Salamence) but hasn't gotten the badge required to use it out of battle, do they still have to go get that badge before they can use it to travel?
Yes, the badge is still required for out of battle use of HMs

Can I use a Balm Mushroom to teach a pokemon an HM that, under normal circumstanced shouldn't know how to fly, surf, etc, can I still use them out of battle for travel, assuming I have the necessary badge?
Probably not. There are certainly some pokemon that probably should be able to learn the HM Fly that can't in game (like gliscor, or large bug pokemon with wings, such as a mega Pinsir). However, if the pokemon has no wings, can't float, and generally has no realistic means of being able to carry a trainer around, then it probably won't be allowed to be used for travel. You can certainly Balm a pokemon with the HM for battle usage, but otherwise check in with a mod if you think that the pokemon should be able to travel with the move. Please don't come to us and insist that a starmie should be able to fly its trainer around using its back as a propeller. Be reasonable and serious if you're going to approach us with this sort of question, keep humor to funny comments in the OOC. In addition, please note that this rule does not apply to event pokemon that are given with transport moves (such as the holiday flying stantler). If we say that the pokemon can fly as transport, then it's okay.

If I have all the requirements satisfied for fly, can I use other means of travel? Like saying an NPC teleported my character?
Yes, if your character has the necessary badge, and a pokemon with the move Fly on their person, but you don't want them to travel that way (because the pokemon is, say, a Pidgey, or another ridiculously sized, canon flying pokemon), you can explain their travel in a more realistic way if you’d like, whether its through the help of an NPC, or another character, a ferry, or helicopter, etc.

What do I need to teach a pokemon a tutor move? Do I need to go to the actual tutor in that region?
No, you just need the heart scale. The scale itself functions as a usable item to teach the move, much like how a TM functions.

What item do I use to teach a pokemon a 'forgotten' move, or one that they would have learned at a level lower than the one they're at, if they missed it or didn't learn it at the time?
Heart scales. This works for evolved pokemon, too, if they have a move they would have learned at a lower level, or that they have 'initially' (usually marked as on serebii and other pokemon sites)

Do moves that do a set amount of damage, like sonic boom, include the level bonuses/buffs, or do they only do that set amount of damage?
They include level bonuses, just not type effectiveness and the like (though this may vary depending on the specific move)

Does damage done by confusion, when a pokemon hurts itself, include level bonuses?
Unless the pokemon's attack stat has been altered, it will always only do 40 damage

What generation do we use for looking up what moves a pokemon can learn when leveling up?
For general level-up move information, please the most recent game's lists!

Switching Out/Healing Priorities and Mechanics

Does switching out take priority?
It does. Other than the moves with the priority that over rides it (like Pursuit), switching out takes priority. We have a chart with priorities here for more information : )

Does healing/using potions take priority?
Like in the games, it typically does, yes

Does healing/switching out use a turn?
Yes. Unless your pokemon defeated its target and your opponent is also switching out, in which case, it won't take up a turn. Otherwise, though, the pokemon sent in its place will take an attack before its able to retaliate in the next round

Exp

Can you get exp even if you catch the pokemon? Do you have to make it faint to get the exp?
Yes and yes. You can get exp even if you catch a wild pokemon, but only if you make it faint : )

Can a fainted pokemon get exp if it participated in a battle?
Yes, if the pokemon participated in the defeat of a pokemon, even if it faints during the battle, it gains some exp from the defeated pokemon

Can you get exp if you battle a pokemon you claimed from an event or horoscope?
Nope, sorry. Those don't yield exp ^^;;

If a pokemon is level 100 and participates in a battle, but another pokemon of a lower level also took part in defeating the pokemon, can I give all the exp to the lower level pokemon?
Sorry, but no. Even though it's capped out, the level 100 pokemon would still 'earn exp', and, more importantly, the lower level pokemon wouldn't gain more exp just because the other pokemon participating was level 100. It does not have to be 50/50 for who gets the exp, but you still have to be fair and not abuse it too much in giving the exp out between the two (so no abusing it and giving 1 exp to the level 100, and all the rest to the lower level, either)

How do we ration out exp if two pokemon participate in a battle? Say I'm training a weaker pokemon and switch it out the first round, and then have a stronger one defeat the opponent the next round, can I split it 50/50?
Even though stronger pokemon would generally get 'less' experience despite doing more work, no, you can't split it 50/50. Because it did do more work, and our system of exp gain is different, as well as to avoid people abusing this to fast-track train weaker pokemon, you have to be a bit more proportional in exp yield. If a pokemon is doing more work (taking hits, doing damage, etc), it should get more experience, even if the number of turns is about the same. If you're ever uncertain, feel free to ask a mod.

Evolution

Can pokemon that need to evolve through trading be traded with an NPC, or does it need to be another rper's character?
The point is to encourage interaction, so it would need to be another rper's character. There are usually a good amount of people happy to do quick interactions and help out, though : )

Do pokemon need to evolve immediately upon hitting their evolution level/requirements? Or can their evolution be delayed?
You can delay their evolution to do it when you want, so long as the requirements are met at the time of evolution

Fishing

How many posts does it cost to roll to encounter a fishing pokemon?
Assuming you have the correct rod to allow for fishing, it takes the same amount it costs to encounter a wild pokemon in the thread you're fishing in. So if it takes 5 posts to encounter the pokemon on the front page, and the location is near water for fishing, it would take 5 posts to encounter a pokemon encountered through fishing, too

Practicality/Miscellaneous

Does a pokemon lose Friend Points (FP) if they're in storage, or out of party, or left at the Day Care for a really long time?
No, storing a pokemon, or losing a battle even, won't subtract a pokemon's fp

SpectralEternity

Crew

Angelic Guardian

43,250 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100

SpectralEternity

Crew

Angelic Guardian

43,250 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 pm
Attack and Ability FAQs

User Image

Attacks

For multi-hit moves, do the buffs and calculations occur for each hit, or at the end?
They occur at the end. So if an attack that does 15 damage per hit hits three times, it would be 15 + 15 + 15 = 45 + [level buff], and so on

Abilities
For Illuminate, if an encounter costs 3 posts, is it free?
No, it's just reduced to 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 pm
Poke Mart FAQs

User Image

Posting for Items

How does the Dowsing Machine work with Pickup? If they're combined, how low can an item post count go? Can it go below 10?
Dowsing Machine is applied first, then Pickup. So if you're posting for an item that's 50 posts, it is reduced to 25, and then to 15. However, if the item is, say, 30 posts, it will be reduced to 15, and Pickup will not activate to bring it below 10

If we're traveling between locations with the same area specific items, can we move between them and continue posting for one of them?
Yes. If you are traveling between, for example, two cities with gyms, you may post for a lucky egg and travel between the two of them. You may not continue or pause if you travel anywhere else that does not fit the item's area requirements. This does apply to flying as well

Do apricorns count as area specific or post anywhere?
Although they have some restrictions, the fact that they can be posted in the vast majority of threads puts them under the 'post anywhere' category

Can I pause posting for an item?
No, you can never pause posting for an item. If you leave an area while posting for an area specific item, and enter a thread does not fulfill the item's area qualifications, you lose the posts for that item. You also may not pause one post anywhere item (or any item post) to try and quickly post for another one (for example, pausing posting for an exp share to post for a heartscale, and then returning where you left off for the exp share, is not allowed)

If I finish posting for an item, do I have to claim it right away?
No, so long as you note in your post that it's 'pending' or 'to be found later', or some such, you can have your character encounter it whenever you want : )

If I have, say, 24 of the 30 posts required for an item, and my character puts a pokemon with Pickup in their active party, what happens?
It becomes 20/20, so be careful

TMs and HMs

Are TMs a one use or multiple use?
They are just a one-time use. You have to obtain another one if you want to teach more than one pokemon the same TM

What about HMs? One time use, or multiple?
HMs, like in the games, can be used as many times as wanted

How do you get HMs?
You have to challenge and defeat the gyms of the region your character started in. So if they got their starter pokemon (or posted in first, if they opted out of getting a starter) from the Hoenn lab, then they have to defeat the gyms, in order, to get the corresponding HM

Since there are TMs that can only be received from gym leaders, will trainers be allowed to re-battle gym leaders?
Yes. We're planning to work on that system as we can, so that gym leaders have 'rematch' teams, and to allow people to regain TMs that can only be obtained through battling gym leaders

Item Questions

Balm Mushroom

Do you have to choose the pokemon you're going to give the Balm Mushroom to before you roll for what type of move it can teach the pokemon?
Absotively, yes. You need to include the pokemon's name in the roll when generating a number between 1-18 to decide the type. You can't edit the name in. If a mod sees you doing this, even if it was on accident, unless there is definitive proof that you were planning to use it for the pokemon all along, you will have to regenerate. Please, please do not take advantage of this, guys D:

Do I have to use the list that you guys provide for the typing? ( 1-18 )?
Yes, please. Otherwise there's no way for us to tell whether the list might have been changed to make the roll better D: Rolls using a different list will be counted as invalid, or simply be told to use they typing corresponding to the 'official' list

Since you can use a Balm Mushroom to teach a pokemon a move of its type, or one of two generated typings, what happens if one of the generated types is the pokemon's type? Do you get to reroll?
Yes. Please keep track of these things in a post, just so mods can follow what's going on if they see you generating several 1-18 numbers, but you are allowed to reroll if you end up generating your pokemon's typing.

Mega Stones

How many pokemon can we have mega-evolved at a time??
Against an NPC or gym leader? As many as you have stones for. However, against fellow rpers, each player may only have one mega evolved pokmon per battle. This was decided in this poll

Berries

If a giveaway is doing x5 of any berry, can I get x1 of five different kinds, or some other combination?
Because of the way berries work, where you only need 1 to multiply the supply, no. Sorry D: You have to generally get x5 of the same kind, unless it explicitly states otherwise

Does posting for berry 'trees' count as post anywhere items, area specific, or is it its own thing?
It's its own thing! And you can post for five different trees at a time (or five of the same kind!) : )

How does planting a berry work, exactly? Are our characters just... carrying berry trees around..?
You have creative liberty for that. So long as you're posting for the tree growth as you're supposed to, you can have your character plant them and find the berries later, after the trees have been fully posted for; you can have them plant them and come back; you can have them plant them and carry around mini trees; you can have them send them to a 'berry farm'; or anything else you come up with, really!

Exp Share

Do I round up or down for the experienced gained? Like if the exp was 15, would the pokemon holding the exp share get 7, or 8 exp?
The exp share is rounded down, so they would get 7

How many pokemon can have I give an Exp Share to at a time?
Only one pokemon may be benefiting from an exp share at a time

Can we switch the Exp Share to another pokemon after it's been activated?
No; once an Exp Share has been given to a pokemon and activated, it is assigned to that pokemon. Removing it would 'break it'

Can we 'pause' an Exp Share on one pokemon, and activate another on another pokemon?
No, unfortunately. Once you activate a pokemon's exp share, that's the 'active' one. You can't switch between several of them

If a battling pokemon is holding a Lucky Egg or is in a GS Ball, and another pokemon has an exp share, do they get half of the base experience earned, without the bonus of the lucky egg/GS Ball, or would they get half of the total exp that battling pokemon earned?
They just get half of the base exp

Mysterious Incense

Do we need to assign the Mysterious Incense to a character and/or have them claim it before we can roll for what type it summons?
Nope! So long as you have claimed the Mysterious Incense from an event, you can roll for it, and then decide who it goes to and/or have them find it

How long can we wait before using or giving the Mysterious Incense?
As long as you want, technically, but please provide a link to the roll so that it's easy to confirm the type was properly generated for when it's being used

Can pokemon summoned by Mysterious Incense be battled by people other than the character that used it? Like if they're traveling with someone, or others are in the area?
Sorry, but no D: It would be too easy to abuse. Only the person using the incense, or similar summoning items, can battle the pokemon summoned by it

Can Mysterious Incense be multitasked with another summoning item, like a Sweet Incense or Paper Lantern, to encounter more pokemon per post?
No, sorry. You can have them going at the same time, but you can still only encounter one pokemon per post, so you would have to alternate between them for the 24 hours they're active

Lucky Eggs

Can we switch who's holding the Lucky Egg while it's active?
No; once you give the lucky egg to someone and it activates, it is assigned to that pokemon. 'Removing it' will result in it 'breaking'

Can we 'pause' a Lucky Egg?
Sorry, but no :c Lucky Eggs are active for seven days of posting-- so if you're posting with a character that has a pokemon holding a lucky egg, that Lucky Egg is active for that day (the 24 hours following the first post)

Rage Candybars

Do I have to go into the actual lab to use the Rage Candybar to get a starter?
No, just the starting town

Rare Candy

If I give a fainted pokemon a rare candy, does it revive them with 1 HP like in the game?
Yes, but keep in mind you can't use them in battle : )

Black Flute

Can I use a Black Flute with a pokemon summoned by Honey? So if I use the Honey, and then wait the right amount of time, can I use the Black Flute to encounter the pokemon i want, out of the list of pokemon that could appear?
Yes, you can combo Black Flute and Honey

SpectralEternity

Crew

Angelic Guardian

43,250 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100

SpectralEternity

Crew

Angelic Guardian

43,250 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:43 pm
Ranger FAQs

User Image

Does the post count reduction obtained at Advanced Rank apply before or after reductions like the ability Pickup?
After

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm
Contest FAQs

User Image

SpectralEternity

Crew

Angelic Guardian

43,250 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
POKEMON: Eᴛᴇʀɴᴀʟ Rᴇᴠᴏʟᴜᴛɪᴏɴ