[PRP] Not-So-Secret Stargazing Spot [Deimos + Polair]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Dei stumbled upon a Mysterious Stranger in a spot he thought was Super Secret but is apparently Not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:55 am

Deimos had just gotten a slightly newer, and slightly better transportable telescope. Naturally, he had to go test it out at the first opportunity he got. He wanted to do this privately, so he could concentrate. No annoying trolls nearby talking loudly enough to cause his mind to wander, no sirree. After reassuring Thypion he wasn't going to be wandering off anywhere dangerous, he packed up his mapping supplies and started off for the Secret Spot he'd found a few weeks prior.

Basically no one went to that spot. At least, no one came there while he was there, so that was clearly the same thing. It was prime for stargazing, too. Nice, clear sky view that was free of trees and far enough away from cities that the light pollution didn't cloud everything out. It was a sweet find. Thypion of course insisted on coming with him, not that Deimos would even attempt to turn him down or sneak away. It would figure that the one night he slipped away from his lusus' gaze would be the night some a*****e would be on the hill.

He'd finally made his way to the top of the hill when something seemed very off. Very wrong. This... this hill was occupied. Occupied by someone other than himself, even. It wasn't like he owned the place, but still! His mouth was opening up and words were coming out before he'd really had time to think about them. "Who are you and what're you doing here?" If only his pan-to-mouth filter was not the first thing to go when he'd been getting crappy sleep.

ImaginationsParadise
i hope this is okay!! lemme know if i need to change anything~

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:14 pm
Polair needed a breather, and what other way to take a rest from her exhausting night than skywatching? Sure she was blind, sure her bracelets didn't register anything when she sent a pulse onto the Alternian sky (unless if was a flying beast or whatever object that was tosses around), but she wasn't letting that stop her. She wouldn't let such a petty disability mess with her anymore than it had already messed with her.

Who needed eyes right?

Trying to lift her spirits up, the highblood took out her portable armillary sphere, astrolabe, her glowing crystals with star coordinated carved on them, and bits of her spherical sky map she was building. She needed to complete her Four Frond sky map that she had been working on ever since she was a child. It felt like she was nearly done, with all that research how couldn't she?

The highblood had claimed her usual spot, a hill that wasn't too high nor too low. Peaceful, quiet-- away from civilization. Just her kind of place. However, tonight someone else decided to come there to spend their time. She wasn't bothered this was a free place not hers exclusively, even as a seadweller which allowed her to claim whatever she wished for, she didn't. The highblood turned around, stood up to full height and stretched.

His question-- rude and off-putting. Whatever, she didn't really care for the emotional response what she did care for was the interruption. "Clearly not someone you know." She said, of course Polair didn't appreciated when others interrupted science. Her bracelets made an audible chime as she sent a small pulse to the strangers way, for her to register where they were and physical characteristics like his height.

She was honestly being bothered by a child. "What I am doing here?" She said rhetorically before turning around. "It's not your business. If you are bothered by my presence, then leave for now and return in about three hours kid. I'm not moving." She tried not to chuckle.

"However, you might miss some celestial phenomenons..." If he was here to look at the sky.

nepsah
she gets sweeter in time i swear o uo/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:41 pm

He wasn't sure who he thought he'd been talking to a moment go, but it certainly wasn't someone obviously older than him (and therefore 100% likely to be better at pretty much everything) or a seadweller. Now that she was standing and facing him, he could see the fins. Major mistake. Thypion was already edging closer, just itching to pick him up and run. But, she didn't actually seem that upset by his rudeness and just turned around to get back to her... work...

The cogs in his pan seemed to slow to a stop. What was that thing? He was pretty sure he'd seen it at the astronomy convention he'd gone to, but never investigated too far. Deimos shuffled to one side, leaning over to peer around her - still at a fair distance - to try and see what she was doing. And then the magic words - celestial phenomenons - he perked right up, internal gears churning back into action with a different tune. "What's that?" Another blurted question- he was getting ahead of himself, and this time Thypion uttered twin snorts to remind him. "Sorry I was rude. What're those? Are you here to watch the sky?" That could hardly be considered a sincere apology and he knew it, but there were more important things to get out of the way for the time being.

ImaginationsParadise
she's just fine hahaha dei is being Rude and also pushy good lord

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:13 pm
A childish question rang through her spongeclots and she looked back. "Oh, a celestial event is an astronomical phenomenon of interest that involves one or more celestial bodies." Polair simply answered. Seemed like he didn't leave her alone, hell, she could feel him closer to her! But the questions did made her ease up, she never minded questions. "Examples of these include the cyclical phases of the moons, solar and lunar eclipses, transits and occultations, planetary oppositions and conjunctions, meteor showers, and comet flybys."

Oh an apology, short and concise, followed by another question. Good, that way he wouldn't waste time. "These are the essential tools of any great astronomer kid. Just an astrolabe, for solving problems relating to time and the position of the moons and stars in the sky, and an armillary sphere, its designed to determine the locations of celestial objects according to the ecliptic co-ordinate system. Like them? They are really useful."

"Why yes, I am." She exclaimed. "I'm trying to complete my sky map you see?" The highblood reached for some of her jewels and showed them to Deimos. Though this was easier said than done. "I have a few notes based on nightly star arrangements I've recollected a few sweeps ago..."

"What about you?" She asked. "Not many trolls come up here. It's fairly calm and a decent place to look at the stars." From what she remembered anyways. "Although you can't compare this view with the one you get from the treetops!" She could never forget the night she met Cerpin, the meteor shower made it hard to forget.

nepsah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:41 pm

"No, no I know what celestial phenom... phe-no-me-nons are." He shook his head, he'd meant the astrolabe but hadn't exactly... been very clear about that, especially with his hastily added questions after his apology. Whoops. Thypion was giving him the we're going to talk later look off to the side. Eugh. "I just didn't know what all that fancy stuff is." But, she'd answered his questions on her own. He hadn't gotten into the fancy gadgets yet, so far he'd been estimating distance with his hands and drawing them out on flat sheets of paper... That seemed way more intense, but also way more interesting.

Forgetting himself, he shuffled closer to get a better look. "Where'd you get those?" Again with the blunt questions, but hey, she seemed willing to talk and he definitely had a lot of questions. He stared at the crystals, not entirely sure what they were supposed to be. A map? But- where was the paper...? He looked around, perhaps thinking he'd just not seen it yet. "You make maps on those? I just use paper..." He furrowed his brows. Seadwellers must work on an entirely different level. Or was it just that older people worked on different levels? He supposed she might tell him.

"I came to watch too. I'm making a map but its not with fancy stuff like that, just paper and my hands." He shrugged. He'd update it as he got older, he supposed. If the stars hadn't changed before then- they very well could for all he knew. He'd learned about star deaths not that long ago. "I know, I live in the forest so I see it all the time. But this spot has a different view so I came here tonight instead of there." Two more snorts from Thypion reminded him that he was still being rude. "I'm Deimos." He offered up, mostly to appease his lusus, "and that's Thypion."

ImaginationsParadise

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:31 pm
"Phenomena." She corrected him. "It's plural form is phenomena rather than phenomenons." Geez, maybe she was being a bit to pushy or strict or the fact that most of her time she'd love to correct her friends so they'd speak correctly-- lexicon wise. As most of them, some more than others, tended to slaughter it on a nightly basis with slangs and weird phrases with second meanings. The very thought of it made her cringe.

"The devices? They are a gift from my lusus. Although a simple one can easily be bought anywhere. I don't think you need a solid gold one to successfully measure celestial altitudes." He just needed enough beetles to purchase those flimsy knick knacks at least. They worked, until they broke. Even as the paranoiac seabear Claud was, he tended to be sweet with Polair, getting her all sorts of things that aided her during her researches and observations whenever he could. Her hands trailed along the armillary's rings and listened to his questions quite pleased and stood up. The highblood tilted her head up, sending a pulse up to the sky just to receive no sound waves back. She sighed, wondering why she kept doing that.

"Hm? Oh yes, I do." She said with a smile. "You are a skywatcher as well?" She was really excited! So young, yet wanting to map out the stars in the sky... just like when she as a small child. Except less rude, Polair was never rude. The wind played with her hair as she sat back down and the child spoke. Deimos, that was his name. Interesting.

"So... Hard to believe I make maps out of these?" She chuckled. Shifting her body away from the scenery, Polair started to make a few holes on the dirt, placing her crystals upright. She felt each of their little crevices to identify the quadrant the belonged to. Once she was dome placing four of them (the best ones of course, as Deimos shouldn't find out the others were simply a disgrace due to her lack of sight), she stepped away, so the light of the moons struck them. The purple tinted light spread across the ground, covering a small area, showing him her crystal star chart. Little dark dots were marked, showing constellations and perhaps unidentified celestial bodies. "Hard to believe until you witness it. Just like any other star chart, however I've made it... unique I guess?"

"I'm Polair. Nice to meet you Deimos. And you too Thypion." The highblood used her echolocation bracelets once more to see where the presumable lusus was. Ah, she could see it! Sort of. Nevertheless she knew where he was. "You know... you can easily make an astrolabe. I can show you how if you want. Perhaps even teach you how to use one, how about it?"

nepsah
Think of it like that holographic map on treasure planet! Just les interactive/elaborate/not floating around the air sort of? But also like this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Right. Phenomena. He filed that tidbit of information away for later- he'd have to practice it or something to get it to stick. "Phenomena. 'Kay." He nodded, continuing to assess the objects from a somewhat "safe" distance. Though at this point he doubted that she was going to pull any funny business- she was lecturing him on proper vocabulary after all!

"Ohh, okay... Getting gold stuff just seems like a waste." He shrugged- there were more durable metals out there anyway, weren't there. Thypion uttered twin snorts, causing Dei to jump a little in place. "Uhhhhh not that they're dumb or anything. Just... expensive...." He glanced back at his lusus, trying to silently tell him to mind his own business. The large creature was not amused.

"Yeah, I s'pose. I never called it that before?" He shrugged, looking back to Polair at her question about being a skywatcher. "I mean, they're kinda hard to write on aren't they?" He tilted his head, watching her move around in confusion. Just what was this fish up to? Of course, if he'd been patient he'dve found out before making such a dumb statement. He couldn't help but emit a small gasp- this was at least 100 times cooler than his dinky little maps.

"Okay, those are cooler than paper." He blinked, eyes wandering over every part of the map he could take in- not fast enough for his excitement. He shuffled a little closer, almost wanting to reach out and touch them... "Nice to meet you too. You can? I'd like that a lot." It was rare for him to be so sincere, and obvious about it too, but this had really struck a chord with him. He wanted to make stuff like this for his own use- forget paper!

ImaginationsParadise
84 years later.......... ahaha dei's totally nerding out

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:31 am
"That's what I tell my lusus but he doesn't listen. He thinks I need objects that "represent" my rank." Polair chuckled as she searched through her bag to find the essential materials to make this child a decent astrolabe. She got out two protractors, a gold and a plastic one, straws, a couple of washers, some string, a scissor and finally clear tape. Putting everything together might be a little bit hard for her but she would try. She had her special bangles after all!

Without thinking Polair activated them, a chime emerged from her bracelets, she needed to make sure she had everything she needed. Unfortunately, the gold protractor, the washers and the scissor didn't react well with its current frequency. That gave the seadweller a small headache. She grunted and rubbed her temples.

"Sorry about that, I..." She gulped. "It's a bit challenging for me to do things nowadays." With shaky hands, she took the bracelets off, put them inside her bag and pulled out the orange hair pins Mahmud gave her during 12th Pedigree. The highblood pulled her hair back and felt the breeze brush through her face lightly for the first time in sweeps. She did herself a messy ponytail and fastened her bangs with the clips to hold them in place. If he would've been any older, Polair wouldn't have shown her face, but this child was direct and only focused on his business and interests. She felt he wouldn't have the need to care or help her out. So he wouldn't try to push her independent self down.

"Sometimes, you have to try even when all the odds are against you." She mumbled bitterly and passed some of the materials to Deimos. Polair tried not to think about her failure and pretended as if it never happened. Right now she never signed up for the space race, it never happened, she never approached the weird substance-- she wasn't blind right now.

"Alright, let's get started. Try to keep up with my instructions alright?" She did tend to speak fast. "First, you need to tie one end of the string to the hole in the middle flat-edged side of the protractor." She slid her hand across its surface to find the hole and tie the string. Once she found it, Polair did her best to tie it.

"Ok... Now you must attach the metal weight to the other end of the string."
She took the washer, tied it down with two more knots. "And finally, tape the straw to the flat edge of the protractor." She took small pieces of tape and did so. Once her astrolabe was done, she reached out for Deimos to show him how it should look. "See? Simple."

"To use it, you must hold it like this."
She "looked" through the straw and titled her head upwards. "Always try to find the north star and note what degree the string lines up at on the protractor. You know which one's the north star right?" Polair asked, handing the astrolabe to Deimos for him to use.

nepsah
thank u for your patience!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Ugh, rank. Deimos was glad that Thypion insisted on little more than general manners from him. He watched as Polair gathered the items, wondering how such a weird selection of objects would come together to make something useful for star watching. "Huh?" He hadn't noticed the sound initially, but even then was confused until she pulled her hair back.

Suddenly things made a little more sense, but then didn't make sense at all. How did she see the stars if she couldn't... see..? He stared at her dumbly for a few moments until she held the materials out for him to take. "Oh, right. I can do that." He cradled the device in his hands, a little worried about breaking it. He soon found a place to set it all down so that he could follow along with what she was doing, occasionally looking up to make sure that his looked like hers. This was a lot simpler than he'd thought it was going to be.

"Huh... I didn't think it'd be that easy." He picked up the finished astrolabe, but set it down when she offered hers for him to look through. Hers was probably better anyway. "Its the really bright one right?" He held it up to look through it, noting that the string really did align with a number on the protractor. "Uhhmm..." He looked away from it, over to Polair... then over at Thypion, who seemed to have settled down and wasn't paying 100% attention to what he was saying...

"How can you do all this stuff if your eyes don't work? Or are they not totally blind." He squinted, hoping that the question wouldn't upset her too much but he wanted to know! It was just so strange and totally out of the norm.

ImaginationsParadise

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:14 pm
"Yes... Just find the big dipper and you'll find the north star." She smiled. It slowly faded however when he asked her about her eyes. She felt silent, for a second, mulling over the event once more. She shivered slightly and placed her hands behind her neck as if she she was stopping the tension on her shoulders.

"...Well..." Polair moved her head up slightly. "I try my hardest... Since what we see are eventually turned into numbers it's not that hard to convert them. I, I usually look over the information I have gathered before to try and get more and help convert other information my partners have gathered."

"Ehe... I wish it'd been partial but... I'm blind. Permanently blind... My eyes don't work at all..." She said with a shaky tone, admitting the truth was so painful for her. Polair took a deep breath. "It's hard, doing all of this without sight is a challenge. It would be easier for me to drop it... Yet I realized that if I gave up the one thing I love, then I wouldn't know what to do. Abandoning it wholesale wasn't an option."

"I..." She chuckled bitterly. "I was told multiple times, 'listen, there's just no way for you to do physics anymore.'" She turned her head towards him. "However, something told me I still could. I could still do it... I just need to find my way around it by myself..." Polair sniffled. Oh god, she couldn't cry about it. She had to keep that in.

"That's unimportant though. No one's business but my own. Don't worry about it kid, it's not worth a thought. Pretend you never saw my eyes..." Polair let her hair down once more and covered her eyes with her bangs. She wanted to pack her things and go, but something told her she needed to make sure this kid wouldn't run around telling people about it.

"Please."

nepsah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:28 pm

Ah- he'd definitely upset her. Normally he wouldn't care, upset feelings were temporary and he probably wouldn't see whomever he'd upset ever again... but this person was cool, so he did care. At least a little. He listened while she spoke, partially distracted with trying to figure out how to fix the mistake he'd just made. Was it possible? Why was talking to people so hard? "Ohhh.." He sufficed with a neutral response to let her know that he'd been listening. "I was just curious 'cause I didn't know if there were other ways to do it. 'Cause y'know. What if you get up there and all the stars are too bright to look at." He was partially making it up on the spot, but really- blindness had been something he was a little worried about with his insomnia keeping him up during the daytime hours. It was... somewhat a relief to see someone still doing star gazing even without their eyes.

"If you want. I don't really care that you're blind or anythin'. If you do it you do it so who cares?" He shrugged, trying to come off as nonchalant as possible. Clearly that was the best option. "I stay up a lot durin' the day so that's... kind of a... con-concern for me I guess. Hard to tell when its safe to open the windows." It wasn't that hard, but try telling his sleep deprived addled thinkpan to think about checking what time it was before opening the window and then perhaps the difficulty would be understandable.

ImaginationsParadise

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

ImaginationsParadise

Alien Garbage

21,050 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:16 pm
Polair couldn't help but chuckle, less bitter this time. She scratched her arm as she listened to the child. Curiosity was a dangerous thing to handle, she knew it and well she couldn't really blame him. Somehow, she always had to face reality and even if she had all the resources to get her sight back, she knew deep in her heart she still had to earn that, which she hadn't. "Well, our sun has a solar luminosity that's about 3.828 times ten raised to the power of twenty six watts, I can only imagine the damage any star could to one's eyes."

"Although..." She slightly giggled as she rubbed her eye. "The Sun is a weakly variable star, and its luminosity therefore fluctuates."

"Thank you. Somehow its not that easy to ignore for some of the trolls I know. They seem to care about one's private matters more than their own. I keep telling them not to, but they don't really listen." It must be weird for him then, having someone who shared his interests yet had the one thing that concerned him. "You must be careful then. I advise observing your lusus behavior during those hours, see if Typhion is more active or inactive, that usually gives away if the night is approaching or not." Claud was always dormant during the day, which resulted on being hyperactive during the night.

"I always watched my lusus during those hours while I studied. It helps ease the anxiety a bit."

"Speaking of my lusus... He's probably looking for me, I did promise him I'd be back by now. I should probably head back now." Polair began to put away her things as she had enough for one night. This had been a bit exhausting, and her way back to the ocean wasn't a easy one.

"It was nice meeting you Deimos." Despite how rash he might have been at the beginning, the kid was actually sweet. "If you ever want to learn more about celestial phenomena and sky maps or simply want someone to watch the stars with, never hesitate to approach me." She smiled. "After all, you can always find me here."

nepsah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:02 pm

Dei did not really understand that number. He knew it was big, but mostly it was just... way over his head. He decided to ignore it for now. Clearly that was an issue for another night. "Sounds like they're annoyin'." He shrugged. People that couldn't mind their own business were nuisances- never mind that he was often the type to ask prying questions. Then again if he'd been told to stop... maybe he would have.

"Oh... that's a good idea. I'll... try to 'member that." He glanced over to Thypion, frowning a little. Would he be able to remember that tip or would he forget? "Oh. Okay. It was nice meeting you. And.. thank you for the astrolabe." It felt weird being so polite, but it was probably the right thing to do.

"I will. G'bye." He started to wave, but realized she wouldn't be able to see it and stopped. Instead he picked up his astrolabe, then trotted back to Thypion's side. They'd best get back to his hive before the sun started to rise.

ImaginationsParadise
fin!

nepsah

Malevolent Mage

Alternia RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out