PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:35 am
rps

Smerdle

Scamp

Smerdle

Scamp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:39 am

User Image

Smerdle rolled 3 4-sided dice: 4, 4, 4 Total: 12 (3-12)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:52 pm
Quote:
prompt one

You've arrived in your new era, and you have noticed three issues immediately.

Firstly: You have nowhere to stay. (How long will you be here? Who knows.)
Secondly: You have nothing to wear. (Your clothes definitely don't fit in.)
Thirdly: What are you going to do for money? (It's not immediately obvious, you know.)

In order for your character to progress to the next phase, you must roll three four-sided dice and write a solo or do an RP wherein you address these three problems. Your dice rolls will determine how well you do, and will enable you to pick one to three advantages, depending on how many points you end up with. (Higher numbers are better and indicate a better stealthing into the society!) When you're ready to move on, please quote your moderators and one of them will drop in to give you the information you need to prepare for your next phase.

Please feel free to RP as much as you like within your era. :>

You may assign your dice values to each slot as you will. So if you roll a 1, a 4, and a 3, you can put the three on whatever you like--it doesn't have to apply to the third set of concerns.

What sort of lodgings do you acquire for your stay?
1. You know, I've always liked camping. (None)
2. It's fun to stay at the YMCA. (Youth hostel/homeless shelter)
3. I scrounged up enough cash to secure a rented room. (Hotel/rented room)
4. I've managed to find a comfy bed with a kindly family or group. (Rented room, free)

What sort of clothing do you find to help you blend in?
1. My clothes are fine. (None)
2. I found a clothesline. (Stolen off a clothesline; low-class or poorly meshing)
3. I scrounged up enough cash to secure a pretty decent outfit. (Purchased; mid-class or slightly against social mores)
4. Someone took pity on me and helped me blend in more. (Free; easy to pass)

How are you going to earn some cash?
1. I don't need it. (None)
2. Busking! I'm good at it! (Low income)
3. Some under-the-table work. (Middleish income)
4. I've always fancied myself a con man... (High income)

Every three points you earn can be traded in for a bonus. The options are: one of your characters' powers can be re-earned, a +1 bonus to persuasion rolls, a +1 bonus to athleticism/combat rolls, or a +1 increase in one of your situational rolls (so securing better housing, clothing, or job).

Thirty seconds after Maggie and Andy Lyman found Chester shivering at an Ashdown bus stop, they asked him to their house for dinner. Against his better judgment, he said yes, though it took him seven minutes of "are you sure"s and "we couldn't just leave you here"s before he gave in completely. In the absence of their kindness, he might have sat there indefinitely, surrounded by the familiar but lost all the same.

In the car on the way to their house, Chester tried to come up with a reason why he might have been at a bus stop by himself without a fare or a thick enough jacket, but the Lymans didn't ask, not until long after they made it to 24 Cable Way. He met the Lyman children, Barry and Hannah, and learned their eldest, David, was off at college. MIT. Maybe that was why they had stopped. Maybe that collegiate aura had informed a little of their opinion of him. The thought stung. It was also kind of nice.

They were hunched over their dinners—a completely unironic pot roast and mashed potatoes—when Mr. Lyman finally asked,

"So, what brings you to a bus stop in Ashdown, son?"

Chester really didn't feel all that guilty about lying, he just worried that he wouldn't be believed.

"I'm here on a trip with my school. USC? We were invited to sit in on some english and math classes at Rider-Waite, you know, to see how the east coast does things." He smiled, trying to muster every ounce of false mirth he could for these people. This wasn't the fifties, and while he could see his lies weren't quite working on the younger Lymans, he hoped they would keep their mouths shut long enough for him to explain.

"We were meant to move on to Boston this morning and, well, I guess I missed the bus. I'm not really sure what happened, but I'm grateful for your hospitality. I've got family south of here, and if you don't mind the imposition, I can call them and they can pay you back for everything when they come to pick me up."

"It's no imposition," Mrs. Lyman said, her smile happy and vacant. "You don't owe us a thing, Chester. And it's too late to call anyone tonight. You can stay in Barry's room, where David used to, and in the morning we can sort things out."

"All right," Chester said, looking down at his gravy-drenched meat. "I'll do that. Thank you."

- - - - -

He managed to keep one old and one young Lyman in the room with him at any given time for the rest of the night, until they all began to disperse for bed. Chester found himself alone in the presence of Barry and Hannah then, the former because he was meant to share the other boy's room, and the latter because, as it turned out, she was horribly nosy.

"Who are you really?" she asked, leaning forward over her crossed legs and squinting at him through her small half spectacles.

He hadn't thought up a reply to something like this, but he tried, "Have you ever heard of Roswell, New Mexico?" on a whim. He was both too early and too late for them to care, and similar strains of confusion infected their expressions after Chester went silent. He tried again. "I am not of this earth, and I beg of you to help me."

Hannah rolled her eyes. "It's fine. Don't tell us. As long as you don't steal from our family, you're welcome to stay." She looked at her brother. "Boggle?"

Barry sighed. "You only want to play that because you're good at it."

"So?" She launched herself off of the bed in one smooth motion and made for the closet, retrieving the box. "You'll have to excuse our game. We lost a die, and we usually play with the empty spot as a wild card." Hannah tossed the game at Chester, who watched it bounce on the bed in front of him. It sounded like a car accident inside, and yet when he slid off the lid to set everything up, the dice were in place, every one of them facing in the same direction. That might have been coincidence, but the fact that the missing die had returned as well could have only been caused by something supernatural.

"Whoa," Barry said, looking from the dice up to Chester's face. "You're an alien, huh? We'll do anything we can to help you, man."

Quote:
If allowed, 12 points traded in for:
  • +1 bonus to persuasion rolls, and
  • a +3 bonus to athleticism/combat rolls

If we're only allowed to get 3 bonuses at most, he'll have:
  • a +2 bonus to athleticism/combat rolls

And if we're only allowed one of each kind, then:
  • a +1 bonus to athleticism/combat rolls

because he doesn't need any of his actual powers yaaaaaaaaay
iloveyouDIE
kuropeco

Smerdle

Scamp

iloveyouDIE
Crew

Unstoppable OTP

27,425 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Married 100
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:29 am
At some point the Lyman's, thinking to be helpful to the Alien in their home, bring Chester a flyer. It touts a bonfire concert at the beach, a peaceful gathering of young people. Freedom and Unity. End to War and Good Will Towards Men.

Glittery peace signs smatter the page and the young Lyman's assure Chester that anyone who is anyone is going because the headlining band is local and popular (The Dead Eyed Hipsters) and because they are pretty sure there's a good chance to sneak free beer.

Lots of college kids. It may be worth checking out.

smerdle

Smerdle rolled 1 4-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-4)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 am
Quote:
Before posting into the new thread, please roll 1d4 in your character's record. This determines how much damage you take from the glitch. Glitch damage cannot be healed, and must be worked around.

Subtract your roll from your character's health total, and add the effect posted below to your post header.
1. Disorientation. No stat changes.
2. Migraine. -1 to all combat rolls.
3. Light physical damage. -1 to all combat rolls.
4. Severe disorientation. -2 to persuasion rolls.

So, a character who rolled a 3 would have a new maximum health total of 22 and a -1 debuff to combat rolls. A character who rolled a 1 would have a new maximum health total of 24 and no debuffs.

You will have an opportunity to undo the debuffs in the future.

You may also reclaim one more power at this time.

Smerdle

Scamp

Smerdle rolled 1 4-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-4)

Smerdle

Scamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:44 am
Quote:
Before posting into the new thread, please roll 1d4 in your character's record. This determines how much damage you take from the glitch. Glitch damage cannot be healed, and must be worked around.

Subtract your roll from your character's health total, and add the effect posted below to your post header.
1. Nausea. No stat changes.
2. Severe nausea. -1 to all combat rolls.
3. Moderate physical damage. -1 to all combat rolls.
4. Visual hallucinations. -2 to persuasion rolls.

This comes off your total from the last roll, so if you have 24 health after last prompt and you roll a 2 now, you'll have 22 health total.

You will have an opportunity to undo the debuffs in the future.

You may also reclaim one more power at this time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:37 am
The hum of his own heightened magic had stayed with him, and when it was time to end this, Chester kind of... sent the feeling toward the symbol on the floor, feeding power into it much more effectively than he had with the coin. They were meant to think of what they wanted to happen, he supposed, but beyond an appreciation for the first brave souls to step up, and an overarching desire to make Sunny sane again, whatever that meant, he wasn't thinking of much besides his need to live. To go home, and have a home to go to.

He glanced at Temperance—that was her name!—as she carefully sliced open another man's arm, a strangely familiar man, and Chester's nose scrunched slightly. He was committed. He longed for everything to be all right. But he wasn't quite ready to bleed for this. Hopefully what he was offering would be enough.

Smerdle

Scamp

ashdown

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces