Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kyribird

Aged Codger

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:21 am
Arturo “Tauro” Diaz
Stubborn Non-Conformist

Their skin is their skin. Don't like it? Too bad. Look, Tauro doesn't need your approval or your input, thank you very much. Loud hair, sparkly galaxy shoes, on pointe eyeliner, dresses, or mismatched socks - they do what they do, and what's it to you? In fact, telling them they shouldn't just makes them want to do it more.
Can’t you be normal?

Look – the thing is, no matter how confident and comfortable you are with yourself, it hurts when those you love can’t accept you for who you are. They can’t help it, they don’t want to change it, and mom and dad and the rest of the cousins and extended family making little to no effort to even acknowledge your struggle really kind of sucks, okay?

So Arturo kind of likes to be noticed and acknowledged. They enter contests and competitions for the spotlight.They wear loud clothing and dye their hair bright colors. They loudly share their opinion just for a debate. Look at me please.

It doesn't always win them many friends. After all, people like the spotlight to be shared. It's kind of hard to shine when Arturo soaks up all the sun.

And NOBODY likes someone interrupting a conversation between two people and butting in with their own opinion to start a debate. Which can happen. A lot.

They really want to be a good friend - they probably just need some therapy first. Or a really patient wallflower who doesn't mind being in the shadow.

Hey, I know that!

Whenever Arturo is asked a trivia question, it will be about something they know the answer to. Their Snapple facts are always relevant, and whenever a bar bet is made in their vicinity, it will be about something they were just reading about the other day.

ANYTHING ELSE?

Arturo has a pet snake named Herman who likes to chill out with them a lot.
They have 3 sisters. They borrow their sister’s clothes a lot. They’re the baby of the family.
Arturo is agender and doesn’t care if what they’re wearing is considered masculine or feminine. If they like it, they wear it.
Same with sexuality. If they like it, they put a ring on it.
They’re never wrong, sorry (But actually…)
They know a rather large amount about cars and mechanical crap and never talk about it.
They are fluent in Spanish.
They love to read and research and pretty much live on Wikipedia.
They are the first in their family to graduate high school with more than a "barely scraping by" grade.
Graduated high school with a 4.0.

There has never been a time in their life that Arturo has felt uncomfortable in their own skin. When their mother found them in her high heels at six, shouted Dios mio and tried to get them out of them before their father got home, their response was “Why? I look good!”

When their father walked in on them putting on eyeliner in the bathroom when they were twelve and tried to tell them that it was for girls only, they batted their eyelashes and said “Then I guess today I am a girl.”

The bullies at school never stood a chance against them, though that was likely due to the fact that their parents gave them enough practice to blow it off. After all, when mom and padre didn't accept you, who cared about Jockstrap McGee's approval?

Their refusal to be anything but happy with themselves, butting heads with their parents constantly over everything, earned the affectionate nickname of “Tauro” from their mother. It stuck. Her stubborn little bull. Her stubborn little son who could never quite be the son she wanted. And she could never quite understand why he couldn't just be your typical boy.

A frank discussion when they were fifteen ("Mijo, do you want to be a girl?" asked Gloria after watching a Dr. Phil episode about transgender kids. "No, I don't want to be anything" said Tauro) at least stopped the awkward questioning and trying to get them to change, though did nothing to alleviate the sad, lost looks sent by his mother and the furrow-browed frowns from his father. His mother tried to understand. She really did - she might have even accepted having a fourth daughter - but this in-between thing wasn't something she could get. His father just wanted a son to do manly things with - and while Arturo can fix a car with the best of them (thanks dad) they'd rather not.

One thing was for sure: Whether it's being a non-conformist genderqueer or being class president, if Arturo wants something done, they dig their stubborn heels in and it gets done.
Their parents might not agree with them or accept them (they don't get the entire neutral pronouns thing) but they love them and have an okay relationship as long as they stay on approved topics - No politics, religion, or sexuality discussions at the dinner table, okay? Also, please don't tell your abuela she might have a heart attack right here on the table and die do you want that?  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:54 am
Hey Kyri, good morning! Gonna start off your day with a quick review so we can get this lovely out into the world.

For starters, your high concept is a bit long/unfitting. It needs to be something concise that touches at the core of who they are- consider Bullheaded Standout, or something similar? As it is, Stubborn Self-Confident Go-Getter is pulling in a lot of different directions at once.

I like that Tauro was confident in their own skin, but I'm not seeing a lot of conflict in their past- there's hints of it, but a bit more/some issues in which people DIDN'T just bowl over would be great for developing their character.

Maybe see some of this in their trouble, too? How does it affect their personal relationships, their work life, etc.?

I love the power but it's not quite a dreamer power. These need to be more environmental things- little bits that shift around to make your character's life convenient that they're not controlling.

So lemme know how this all sounds! If you need a bouncing board, I am here for you!
Kyribird

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Silverah
Vice Captain

Handsome Shoujo

11,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:59 am
User ImageKyr. Man. I had a whole thing here but Moonstone beat me to the punch.

Here's what's still relevant:

Tauro's power is reading a bit like a riser power now, as it seems like something internal to them and not something the world does for them. I believe that this can be workable, however you would need to phrase it differently - Whenever Arturo is asked a trivia question, it will be about something they know the answer to. Their Snapple facts are always relevant, and whenever a bar bet is made in their vicinity, it will be about something they were just reading about the other day.

Basically, Tauro can't magically know stuff, but the environment can offer information up to them that will be useful later.

kyribird

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:14 pm
Moonstone Dazzle

]
Silverah

I THINK THAT MIGHT BE BETTER? Thanks for the suggestions 8D

Kyribird

Aged Codger

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:41 pm
Okay, this is looking a lot more cohesive to me! Calling in the big boss to give it a look-over!
shibrogane

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:33 pm
Kyri!! Hey dude! Arturo sounds like an awesome character and I'm so excited to play with him! However... Your high concept is WAY TOO LONG. It's supposed to be 5-7 sentences or less.

Let me know when you've cut it down some and I will swing back thru!!

Kyribird

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

Kyribird

Aged Codger

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:41 pm
shibrogane
Kyri!! Hey dude! Arturo sounds like an awesome character and I'm so excited to play with him! However... Your high concept is WAY TOO LONG. It's supposed to be 5-7 sentences or less.

Let me know when you've cut it down some and I will swing back thru!!

Kyribird

HI SHIFTED THINGS AROUND 8D

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:14 pm
Thanks!

APPROVED !!

shibrogane
Vice Captain

Stellar Lightbringer

Bronze Coffee

Stubborn Senshi

13,275 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:41 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Kyribird

quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff