My older sister is having a baby :/

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ashes_of_a_Dream

Hilarious Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 pm
I don't know how to feel about this. She has always told me I am her baby because she can't have any but now that she is going to have one I wont be as special. I don't want to be an aunt if it means I have to give up my only older sister. There are 12 years between us and she used to change my dippers and put me to sleep when my mom went back to work, so she has always been there for me.
When I was being picked on in school she helped me deal with it and would pick me up so the kids couldn't bother me as much, even if that meant she had to leave work early. Now that she is going to have a baby she hasn't been around much and her and her boyfriend are talking about moving away after he graduates next year. I won't be able to stand it if she moves away, I will just die.
I know I have my mom and my little sister and big brother but she is something so different, like a mom but better because she doesn't tell me what to do all the time. She is my best friend but when the baby is born in March and she moves away I feel like all of the connection we have will disappear.

Any advice? Or anything I could do to make her stay?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:56 am
You will always be her baby sister and you will always be special to her. Her now having a baby and a boyfriend doesn't change the fact that she loved you enough to have taken care of you like she did when you were younger. She has simply grown up, and has expanded her world to include others to love, in addition to you and the family that you two share.

I know from experience that it's hard to accept change, but your reasonings are all about you and sounds quite selfish to me. I would like to think that you have grown enough to not be quite so dependent on her. Embrace the fact that you will be an Aunt soon and will have the opportunity to make good of that. Learn from what your sister had taught you, so that you can do the same, if not better, for your new niece or nephew. Keep in mind that you now have the chance to be that awesome Aunt that's fun to be with! emotion_awesome

We all need to spread our wings and fly, to expand our experiences, to grow and hopefully include others into our lives. If/when your sister does decide to move away with her own little family, just remember that she'll just be a phone call away from you. She'll always have a special place in her heart for you, as you do for her. No one can ever take that away from you. Be happy for your sister and help her out whenever possible. After all, it was you who had given her the experience to take care of another person. Reciprocate the love and be there for her when she needs you the most.

Quote me here, because I'd really like to know your response. 4laugh

Faerie KatrinaZ

Sparkly Fairy

xx I met my fate xx

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:28 pm
I felt the same way when my sister was pregnant. I worried that I would no longer be her baby and be special to her. I needn't have. As Fae said you'll ALWAYS be her baby!! I love my sister and we're still so close! I cherish my nephew and now my niece and when I became a mom myself she was super excited as well. Don't worry, she won't go anywhere.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:03 pm
Ashes_of_a_Dream
I don't know how to feel about this. She has always told me I am her baby because she can't have any but now that she is going to have one I wont be as special. I don't want to be an aunt if it means I have to give up my only older sister. There are 12 years between us and she used to change my dippers and put me to sleep when my mom went back to work, so she has always been there for me.
When I was being picked on in school she helped me deal with it and would pick me up so the kids couldn't bother me as much, even if that meant she had to leave work early. Now that she is going to have a baby she hasn't been around much and her and her boyfriend are talking about moving away after he graduates next year. I won't be able to stand it if she moves away, I will just die.
I know I have my mom and my little sister and big brother but she is something so different, like a mom but better because she doesn't tell me what to do all the time. She is my best friend but when the baby is born in March and she moves away I feel like all of the connection we have will disappear.

Any advice? Or anything I could do to make her stay?

It's April now. Did she have the baby? boy or girl?

I have a little brother that is 12 years younger than me too. I helped change his diapers,feed and babysit him too. Last year he got married, lol, he is 27 now.

I had my first child when he was like 9 or 10. I could always tell that he looked up to me in some way, probably just like the way you described it, because I'm like a mom but not our mom. Being that way to a younger person has its advantages because they are more likely to listen to what you have to say about things. I think my brother took a lot of things I've said to him, to heart. Technically, as siblings, we are both getting beat by the same stick (parents) so equality is in play. Even now he would rather hang out with me and my family, with his wife, any chance he got. I have two teenage boys now, but that doesn't matter at all. My guess is that, your big sister will still find a way to baby you, much like I do my own brother, even as time goes by.

Currently, I think the way I "baby" him is through his wife. My parents, as well as our other brother and his wife, are not too keen on her. I knew immediately when I met her and saw them together that they were going to stay that way, no matter how crappy it go between them, lol. I accepted her as a member of the family right away, when no one else considered it. It might also be due to the fact that she is probably the first girlfriend he ever bothered to show me and I know he's had plenty in the past, that speaks volumes. They made me Maid-of-honor at the wedding and my husband Best man crying .

One thing to keep that bond running strong, and I don't have a sister I have a brother, keep in contact regularly. I've seen sisterhoods run strong by just talking about nothing all day long. For me and my brother, he would just stop by every once in a while hang out for a bit or crash at my house because we lived on the same property, that is probably as close as it can get for a bro and sis. My other bro, who is only 2 years younger than me with his own teenage kids and wife, we might tell each other "happy birthday" once a year, see each other 5 times a year but couldn't worry less about what the other is up to. lol.

You two have a unique relationship, should not be anything to worry about.

Anyways, I'm rambling on a old post. I related to this topic quite a bit.

How are things now?  

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
🎭Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash