Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
New to the guild! Mid Transition into Veganism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PhilliBilliful

Mega Entrepreneur

16,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:37 pm
Hello lovelies!

I while I have been on this site for what feels like forever, I am new to this guild! I am transitioning to Veganism currently. I know I have had some people ask me why I haven't just gone straight to it. We all have our methods, but really, I don't like eating meat, and I am already lactose intolerant. But I work a job where I have to keep my calorie intake pretty high at this point. I work outside in harsh conditions and is a job that can easily take my life if I am not careful, and for me to just go vegan instantly can shock my body in a dangerous way. So I have chosen to phase it out, and I think I have done well so far. I only eat meat once or twice a week now. I am now mostly just eating through what animal products I have in my fridge, and when they are gone, I will replace it with a vegan alternative. I cannot afford to just throw out food, not everyone is made of money like that.

But the reason why I decided to do this, to become vegan, is that I am so sick and tired of being a hypocrite, so sick and tired of being sick and tired. Ever since I began transitioning, I have felt lighter, more free, and a stronger clarity of mind. It's just so amazing how such a change, can change everything.

A few things inspired me to take this path. First thing that convinced me was the Skinny b***h book. It was definitely good at the shock value. And another big motivator is the Cowspiracy documentary. Has anyone seen it? it's intense. It makes me question the morality of our society.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:15 am
Hello and welcome.
Sounds like you are doing what you believe is best for you and your body which I think is awesome. whee
No I haven't seen Cowspiracy... I think I've heard of it though. One of the documentaries that had a huge impact on me was 'Earthlings'  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

PhilliBilliful

Mega Entrepreneur

16,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:29 am
Yeah, Cowspiracy was done by a gentleman who actually ate an omniviorous diet when he started the documentary, and by the end of it, he discovered that veganism was really the only answer. It was pretty powerful. You have to pay to watch it, but I do have a digital copy and online screenings for groups of people can be arranged too which is awesome. Nothing like a guild-wide movie night eh?

And Earthlings I haven't actually seen yet. I hear it's really good. Perhaps I will watch it here soon. hehe.

But yeah, I just don't think it's about morals, speciesism, and health anymore. I think veganism really is the only answer to our global ecological problems. The fact that most people turn a blind eye to, is that animal agriculture is destroying our planet. We cannot maintain such a lifestyle anymore.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:02 pm
I thought I had seen the cowspiracy dvd at my local library in the past... but I just looked it up and it seems it's not there.
I don't know when I will get to see it now. sad  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

!~[x] Cheri [x]~!

Timid Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:09 am
great to hear you are feeling so great transitioning! bypassing a lot of possible "detox symptoms" by easing into it rather than going cold turkey definitely makes it easier and safe too. heck i took several months before i got to the point where i felt i could truly call myself vegan last summer, but now i love it with all my heart and i would never consider going back. my reasons were very similar to yours; i didn't want to be a hypocrite, and i didn't want to feel so sick anymore. and it really works :p

i really hope to see cowspiracy sometime soon but i have been putting it off to watch it with my mom, who has cut out virtually all animal products in her life except for milk in her coffee, which she plans on getting rid of when she finishes her current coffee bag.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:53 pm
in a sense I am kind of in a smiliar situaton to yours, I personally have just eaten meat for along time and do enjoy eating.

and i think for me personally but I will always like doing so.But working as vet tech I see a great deal of value to animal rights and how animals even farm animals are treated.

Yes people have eaten animals as food products for years, but there is no reason why these animals should be tortured in the process of becoming food.

I personally believe that animals can be made into food in humane respectful ways.

and I am planing on incorporating weekly meals of vegetarian style and vegan style to my diet over time. For my own health and as a way to reduce inhumane treatment of animals. I also as a new years resultion to myself wish to start buying meat products that come from farmers that hand raise their food and the believe in better treatment of animals.  

Stella_Starwind

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff