Welcome to Gaia! ::

♡~Everybody Wants to be a Cat!~♡

Back to Guilds

If you love cats, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Animal, Cats, Contests, Feline, Kitties 

Reply ⥃Advice of every kind? Give it, get it.⥃
How to clean an adult cat?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ta Lu

High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:05 pm
He was a stray adult cat and I adopted him. And the question comes up time and time again, if I ever need it, how the heck do I get him in a bath?

And I have ran into the most unhelpful advice of people going:

"You must start bathing your cats at a young age so they get use to the bath!" and all I can do is have my lips flatten out and say, "He was never a kitten with me!"

He is so finicky with handling that the only times I can hold or touch his paw is when he has chosen to lay next to me, even then he will bare his claws if he thinks he no longer wants me touching. Otherwise any other time he will make that 'bite' motion. Any 'nail trimming' has been with some really intense run, chase, pounce play or the cardboard or sisal scratching post.

The only way I have been able to "clean" him is with a towelette after some brushing a routine he also is not keen on at all despite having him for almost a year now.

For the most part he is not a dirty cat, but I have started to train him to wear a harness in hopes he will take to walks since he was once an outdoor cat, and want to have some idea of bathing him or desensitizing him or something....if he ever does get fleas or ticks or runs into some nasty things while on walks.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:31 am
The only advice I can give you is: Don't.
It's going to be one hell of a hassle and you'll regret for trying it in the first place.

He'll clean himself and if he goes outside and gets dirty paws, a damp towel to clean his paws (or other parts) will be MUCH easier than bathing him. Mine don't like the damp towel either, but it's much easier than bathing them. I mean, one of my cats tends to lash out if I do it, imagine how she will react if I would try to bathe her...

Just give his anti-flea and deworm stuff regularly if he goes outside to prevent fleas and ticks and worms.  

Yule Cat

Chatty Cat

Ta Lu

High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:54 pm
Yule Cat
The only advice I can give you is: Don't.
It's going to be one hell of a hassle and you'll regret for trying it in the first place.

He'll clean himself and if he goes outside and gets dirty paws, a damp towel to clean his paws (or other parts) will be MUCH easier than bathing him. Mine don't like the damp towel either, but it's much easier than bathing them. I mean, one of my cats tends to lash out if I do it, imagine how she will react if I would try to bathe her...

Just give his anti-flea and deworm stuff regularly if he goes outside to prevent fleas and ticks and worms.
sounds good thank you.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:22 pm
Ta Lu

What I do want to add is: if you still plan on bathing her.
Don't use the bath, use the sink.
And put in a towel so she can't slip.

If you can get someone else to help you, ask them.

I would recommend practicing and rewarding good behavior. They are never too young too learn, but stress blocks the ability to learn. Practice step by step. First into the sink until he's confident enough. Then go a step further, and so on.
It will be a long process tho.  

Yule Cat

Chatty Cat

⥃Advice of every kind? Give it, get it.⥃

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas