Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 am
If you can't even manage to get your kid to kindergarten half the time?

Really. Please tell me.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:39 am
So that when your kid gets to kindergarten you get to point and laugh at the other person because your kid is a genius and theirs isn't.  

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 am
Sending your kid or not sending your kid to school isn't going to affect their level of intelligence. Especially during preschool.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:47 am
I always figured that preschool was akin to a glorified babysitting service.

M3Gnificent

Malevolent Warlord

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:56 am
M3Gnificent
I always figured that preschool was akin to a glorified babysitting service.

Basically  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:54 am
I never went to preschool; my parents taught me everything I needed to know up until I was enrolled in kindergarten. When I got there, I already knew all of the crap that was being taught, so I was bored constantly and refused to do work I'd already done in the past.

And then our sexist teacher dared to say I needed to be medicated because I was more physically active than the other girls in class, who were already doped up on ADHD medicine. Meanwhile, I'd only been doing exactly the same things as all the boys in class, and none of them got punished for playing with building blocks and trucks. But I did, because OH HOW DARE A GIRL DECIDE TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN SIT THERE AND EXAMINE SEASHELLS FOR AN HOUR. rolleyes

Annnd THAT is why my parents took me out of the public educational system and homeschooled me instead, up until I made the conscious decision to attend high school. Because apparently above-average intelligence and different personal interests from the gender norm equals a problem child.  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 am
Hiddochi wolf
I never went to preschool; my parents taught me everything I needed to know up until I was enrolled in kindergarten. When I got there, I already knew all of the crap that was being taught, so I was bored constantly and refused to do work I'd already done in the past.

And then our sexist teacher dared to say I needed to be medicated because I was more physically active than the other girls in class, who were already doped up on ADHD medicine. Meanwhile, I'd only been doing exactly the same things as all the boys in class, and none of them got punished for playing with building blocks and trucks. But I did, because OH HOW DARE A GIRL DECIDE TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN SIT THERE AND EXAMINE SEASHELLS FOR AN HOUR. rolleyes

Annnd THAT is why my parents took me out of the public educational system and homeschooled me instead, up until I made the conscious decision to attend high school. Because apparently above-average intelligence and different personal interests from the gender norm equals a problem child.

Damn, we're more alike than I knew. eek

Yeah, no preschool for me, and I spent a lot of time in Kindergarten wondering why my classmates were so dumb. xd

I went through third grade before getting pulled out, but I don't know the exact reason(s) why. I do know I wasn't enjoying it much cuz all my friends were dicks though. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:09 am
I didn't go to preschool either. I believe I am a well adjusted adult and I didn't suffer grievously from the lack of Play-doh 101.

The main thing that annoys me with this situation is how I apparently "don't care" about my kids education. My kids know things. Just because I'm not shoving phonics and mathematics down their throats and I'm letting them naturally learn at this age doesn't I don't care about their education.

Whether or not we homeschool or do public school or whatever we decide starting from when they're 5 up to when they're about 18 they'll be doing school. Then probably college. There is PLENTY of time for a "formal" education.

And I think if you're going to preach on how important public school is you should, I dunno, actually SEND your kid.  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:10 am
Mama Ame
Sending your kid or not sending your kid to school isn't going to affect their level of intelligence. Especially during preschool.

I know, but from what I hear kindergarten has actually raised in difficulty from when we went to it. Kids are already writing and doing actual math like addition and subtraction as opposed to counting and learning our letters like I did(though I got the hang of it quickly and wondered why the rest of my classmates were dumbasses). I hear that quite a few kids actually fail kindergarten now.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:32 am
I think the public school system is messed up and this whole "one size fits all" common core crap is moronic.  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:42 pm
Mama Ame
I think the public school system is messed up and this whole "one size fits all" common core crap is moronic.

Yeah, that is retarded. What I don't like is they don't allow for creativity on solving problems. Instead of giving you a puzzle and letting you try to solve it first, they give you a puzzle and jump straight into "okay. Here's how we solve it as and don't you dare try something different." I mean with the exception being math, there are multiple ways to get to the same solution for the majority of subjects being taught.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:20 pm
But even with math if you can solve the problem without doing 500 steps to get to the answer you should be able to  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:45 pm
Mama Ame
I didn't go to preschool either. I believe I am a well adjusted adult and I didn't suffer grievously from the lack of Play-doh 101.

I never went to pre-school myself. Heck, I was doing well enough in school that I consistently made it onto the Honor Roll, and could have taken AP classes if I so desired. But I didn't. Never felt the need to take them especially with the particular field of interest I have - English (especially Creative Writing).

Mama Ame

Yeah, I feel like the public school system has continually changed their curriculum from actual education to making sure kids pass the state tests and what not. That's why I loved my college/university classes so much; I could actually take classes on subjects that interested me rather than being taught the same thing for the billionth time that I never cared about (especially history). Heck, I think remember historical details more from what has been portrayed in Doctor Who than I ever did from my public school classes. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:55 pm
Prof. Moonie
Mama Ame

I never went to pre-school myself. Heck, I was doing well enough in school that I consistently made it onto the Honor Roll, and could have taken AP classes if I so desired. But I didn't. Never felt the need to take them especially with the particular field of interest I have - English (especially Creative Writing).

Mama Ame

Yeah, I feel like the public school system has continually changed their curriculum from actual education to making sure kids pass the state tests and what not. That's why I loved my college/university classes so much; I could actually take classes on subjects that interested me rather than being taught the same thing for the billionth time that I never cared about (especially history). Heck, I think remember historical details more from what has been portrayed in Doctor Who than I ever did from my public school classes. sweatdrop

Hey, that's how unschoolers learn.  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

"COS" ^Can O Spam^

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out