I am so nervous about college.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

thetinykiwi

Quotable Shade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:21 am
I got into my dream school (savannah college of art and design). I'm gonna pay my enrollment fee soon and then get loans and the like.
I start January.
And omfg I'm already nervous.
This school doesn't actually have a campus, it's all over the downtown area of one of the biggest cities in Georgia (Savannah obvi).
I mean.
What if I get lost? T__T
I know I can take a bus, but what if I just wanna walk and I get >lostI can also see a lot of my professors hating me. I dunno why. My high school teachers mostly love me. I kept my head down, did my work, got the grades, gave it my all, and was respectable. I guess it's just a fear I have.

BUT.
I am so happy at the same time. Savannah is BEAUTIFUL. It doesn't look like a dangerous area, though it is. You'd forget where you were if people didn't keep reminding you not to walk alone.
Another thing is, I'm leaving all the drama behind. All these bratty teenagers that can't seem to get a single priority to be greater than their "need" of drugs. I look at them now and laugh at all the drama they have. I know that in a few months, I'll be off focusing on what I love-- art.
AND I'M FINALLY LEAVING THIS JANK ONE HORSE TOWN.
I am so happy for that. I'm so tired of the closed-mindedness of this town it drives me up the wall. And now I'm going to be free from it.

BUT AT THE SAME TIME THIS COLLEGE IS MEGA EXPENSIVE AND I'M GOING TO OWN LOAN COMPANIES SOME VITAL ORGANS AT THIS RATE.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:49 am
First off congrats cat_biggrin

Don't be nervous and try to make a friend the first day. In no time, I'm sure that you will assimilate well to your surroundings and feel comfortable being there. cat_3nodding  

MsMash

Clean Gaian

8,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200

a Clockwork Science

Kawaii Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:08 pm
Congratulations! SCAD is a wonderful school.

I find that one of the worst parts about a big change is the anticipation - you have loads of time to worry and worry. But once you get there, you'll be busy -- doing things that you love and that interest you -- and the things you're so worried about will seem a lot less daunting.

However, sometimes it can be kind of positive to sit down and have a good worry - but don't let it catch you up like a tornado. Thinking about things that might trip you up can allow you to make action plans. Having a good back-up plan is always a plus.

Hopefully you'll be able to make some buddies that you have classes with and you can stick together. 'Cause I bet a lot of the people you're going to be entering with have the same worries (even if they don't say so).

In fact... is there a way you can connect with some of your classmates prior to starting? That would be pretty neat.

So what're you majoring in?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:27 pm
Congrats~

If your high school teachers liked you, your professors will like you even more (:

Most professors I've had are human. Definitely more like the village sage than mentors. Meaning, they have sound & worldly advice, but are distant and sometimes difficult to get ahold of.

Just keep up the good work ethic and study like a mad woman.

When I got married and moved out I qualified for financial aid, so that made returning to college possible. I was a mediocre high school student and flunked my freshman year of university, meh :/ If you're not necessarily need-based (aka parents juuust in that mid-range income bracket but can't/won't pay tuition,) keep that cumulative GPA up. Apply for scholarships (you don't have to be a an all-star high school athlete to earn them) throughout your college career and you'll likely receive either a Dean's/President's or Foundation (community) grant (: That really helps with the loans, which bit us in the bum when my husband quit school and lost FAFSA.

A new place is hard, and dangerous. But it's such a big opportunity and an adventure. Honestly I envy you.

I wouldn't trade my modest domestic life in this po-dunk little town for the world, but being single and moving to the city is so grand and exciting! =)

If you have a smart phone and decent data plan, Google maps (or Apple maps, whichever) will be your new best bud haha

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

thetinykiwi

Quotable Shade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:07 pm
a Clockwork Science

I find that one of the worst parts about a big change is the anticipation - you have loads of time to worry and worry. But once you get there, you'll be busy -- doing things that you love and that interest you -- and the things you're so worried about will seem a lot less daunting.

However, sometimes it can be kind of positive to sit down and have a good worry - but don't let it catch you up like a tornado. Thinking about things that might trip you up can allow you to make action plans. Having a good back-up plan is always a plus.

Hopefully you'll be able to make some buddies that you have classes with and you can stick together. 'Cause I bet a lot of the people you're going to be entering with have the same worries (even if they don't say so).

In fact... is there a way you can connect with some of your classmates prior to starting? That would be pretty neat.

I've actually made few friends already through facebook.
The students seemed pretty relaxed.
I'm majoring in comic book illustration, c:
To make money I'm trying to actually sell commissions for money, but its a bad economy and such.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:15 pm
British Waffeelz
a Clockwork Science

I've actually made few friends already through facebook.
The students seemed pretty relaxed.
I'm majoring in comic book illustration, c:
To make money I'm trying to actually sell commissions for money, but its a bad economy and such.

That's good. smile

Comic book illustration. Do you want to work for a big, established company one day or would you rather do your own thing or work with smaller, independent lines?

Selling commissions can indeed be tough. Keep at it, though!
Have you considered doing caricatures? I know of at least one guy in my neck of the woods who travels and does caricatures at different fairs, expos and the like. He does well. I don't know if that's up your alley, but if it is, go for it! I hear people love getting them for their pets, too.

Do you have a profile or portfolio where you have some of your work posted on the internet? I'd love to check it out! smile  

a Clockwork Science

Kawaii Sweetheart

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm
Get Google Maps on your phone.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:14 pm
Oh, wow! You remind me so much of myself exactly three years ago.

I come from a big city, but was moving to an even bigger one for college. I know that the transition can be scary, but you will be absolutely fine and enjoy it. Here's the thing: Most of what you need to succeed in college already exist inside of you, from what you've already stated: a strong work ethic, dependability, awareness of and respect for the size of the city you're going to be living in, maturity, open-mindedness. It's ok if you don't have 100% of the wisdom or experience you'll need; some of my most important life lessons were learned in college, and the same will be true for you.

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

ll xio ll

Hilarious Businesswoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:51 pm
Congrats on getting into your dream school! That's so exciting!

I was like you five years ago. I went from small town middle of nowhere to a big city. It's normal to be nervous as you don't know what to expect.

Don't be afraid of getting lost. Just stay in your area and venture out to other places little by little. You should meet up with your new friends that you've made over Facebook and go exploring one day together. At least if you get lost, you'll be lost together.

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games