Welcome to Gaia! ::

♡~Everybody Wants to be a Cat!~♡

Back to Guilds

If you love cats, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Animal, Cats, Contests, Feline, Kitties 

Reply ⥃Advice of every kind? Give it, get it.⥃
Binge and Purge? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:57 pm

May the fallen rest in peace,
So, my dear fatums Cythe, he has a bit of a... problem.
We don't know why he does it, maybe out of habit, but he likes to eat until he gets sick, and then vomit.
My friend's grandfather is a bit forgetful sometimes, and doesn't always check to make sure kitty is out of his room, before locking the door. This causes a very angry, hungry kitty to emerge hours later. He would then eat, and become sick from overeating.
Grandpa has been better at checking for him, and he's not been locked up on accident for a while, yet he continues to binge and purge.
I cannot possibly come up with a reason why, he's not starved (intentionally), he's got a loving and happy home, and we've tried multiple tricks, multiple anti-hairball foods, and no luck.
No one likes having to put the bowl up, but I've done it a few times. He sits and whines at you for the food, then proceeds to, yet again, binge and purge.

Any suggestions?

The only thing I can figure is that, it's a Siamese thing. He's not Siamese, but his mama is.
If he got the genetics from her for the urges, there's a special food, just for Siamese kitties to help them cope with that. But it's 12$ a bag, and I'm going to assume the bags aren't very large. Plus, I can't even guarantee it'll work, and I don't want to make him sick by giving him the wrong food.
Please halp my bulemic kitty.
and may the rest fall to pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:16 pm
You've probably tried a lot of this, but-
Have you tried putting the dish on a few books or something to elevate it, to neck level?
You could also get balls or something big enough he wont choke or try to eat it, and put it in the dish so he has to eat around it and thus eat slower.
Is the cat dish a flat one, or a bowl-ish one? Flat ones obviously can work better too!
Is it possible to put him on a scheduled feeding, or is everyone way too busy? That could help too. A small (about 20 pieces of small kibble) helping every few hours could drastically help and he will slowly adjust and realize he wont be starved. Idk any of that help maybe?  

Maddy-Mazey
Captain

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:52 am
madelynheston
Have you tried putting the dish on a few books or something to elevate it, to neck level?
You could also get balls or something big enough he wont choke or try to eat it, and put it in the dish so he has to eat around it and thus eat slower.
Is the cat dish a flat one, or a bowl-ish one? Flat ones obviously can work better too!
Is it possible to put him on a scheduled feeding, or is everyone way too busy? That could help too. A small (about 20 pieces of small kibble) helping every few hours could drastically help and he will slowly adjust and realize he wont be starved. Idk any of that help maybe?

If our love is tragedy why are you my remedy?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I keep hitting "edit" instead of quote. -.- lol

His bowl is a double cat bowl, with the water feeder bit in the middle. Since we had more than just him when we got it. We don't use the center, we put water on one side, and food on the other.
If there's any other bowl, then he freaks out and wont eat, or if there's even the slightest bit of the bottom showing.
We dont have him on a schedule, because we dont really have one, but I can try to get him on one. And cat toys, he'll just remove them from the bowl. -.-

If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 pm
Sarcasdick
madelynheston

His bowl is a double cat bowl, with the water feeder bit in the middle. Since we had more than just him when we got it. We don't use the center, we put water on one side, and food on the other.
If there's any other bowl, then he freaks out and wont eat, or if there's even the slightest bit of the bottom showing.
We dont have him on a schedule, because we dont really have one, but I can try to get him on one. And cat toys, he'll just remove them from the bowl. -.-

Awh! D; let me know if you figure it out I'll try to study it a bit later >_>  

Maddy-Mazey
Captain

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 pm
madelynheston
Sarcasdick
madelynheston

Okay.
He hasn't been doin it for a few days, from what I hear. But I've got Troy keepin an eye on him while I'm at mama's.
I hope it's not some sort of intestinal blockage. We don't have vet money, and I don't think Troy could handle him dying.
He loves that cat. And he already had to give a few up, and we lost Artemis Meow, and I don't think he could even handle it. He doesn't cry, for anything. Ever. But I actually saw him tear up after we walked out of the vet's office when we had Meow put down. ;-; It was sad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:26 pm
Sarcasdick
madelynheston
Sarcasdick
madelynheston

Okay.
He hasn't been doin it for a few days, from what I hear. But I've got Troy keepin an eye on him while I'm at mama's.
I hope it's not some sort of intestinal blockage. We don't have vet money, and I don't think Troy could handle him dying.
He loves that cat. And he already had to give a few up, and we lost Artemis Meow, and I don't think he could even handle it. He doesn't cry, for anything. Ever. But I actually saw him tear up after we walked out of the vet's office when we had Meow put down. ;-; It was sad.

Awwwh :c I wouldn't think it would be life threatening unless he becomes dehydrated, looses weight or has blood or blackness in throw up  

Maddy-Mazey
Captain

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm
madelynheston
Sarcasdick
madelynheston
Sarcasdick
madelynheston

Okay.

Awwwh :c I wouldn't think it would be life threatening unless he becomes dehydrated, looses weight or has blood or blackness in throw up

nah, nothing like that yet, just partially digested kibbles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 am
While I wouldn't recommend the water and food bowl to be right next to each other. That's a different story.

Have you thought of the food "bowl" from northmate?

But like the others said,you can put rocks in it, and other things that are big enough so he won't eat. I don't think he can remove rocks? Or maybe he can...

Another thing I would suggest is to weight out of the food, and schedule his feeding. That is, if that would work for your grandfather. If the cat already stops eating if he sees the bottom of the bowl, give him a few minutes to eat, then remove the bowl.  

Yule Cat

Chatty Cat

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:17 am
Yule Cat
While I wouldn't recommend the water and food bowl to be right next to each other. That's a different story.

Have you thought of the food "bowl" from northmate?

But like the others said,you can put rocks in it, and other things that are big enough so he won't eat. I don't think he can remove rocks? Or maybe he can...

Another thing I would suggest is to weight out of the food, and schedule his feeding. That is, if that would work for your grandfather. If the cat already stops eating if he sees the bottom of the bowl, give him a few minutes to eat, then remove the bowl.

I've been trying to get him on schedule but he just whines all day.
No one else in really doing well with the schedule thing and they're like "stop starving the cat".

It' not technically -my- cat, it's my friend's, but I've sort of claimed him. -.-
He's been alright with not puking lately though, since grandpa's been more careful to check for him before locking up and leaving.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 am
Sarcasdick
He's not starving. He's just frustrated and protesting that he can't be free-fed. He has to get used to it, and that might take a while, and lots of whining.  

Yule Cat

Chatty Cat

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:22 am
Yule Cat
Sarcasdick
He's not starving. He's just frustrated and protesting that he can't be free-fed. He has to get used to it, and that might take a while, and lots of whining.

Well, hopefully he comes around soon.
Poor little guy.
As if he wasn't whiney enough before.
he constantly demands pets too. lol
Maybe I'll just pet him more when he whines for the bowl. XD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:27 am
Sarcasdick

Or distract him with playtime? 4laugh  

Yule Cat

Chatty Cat

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:33 am
Yule Cat
Sarcasdick

Or distract him with playtime? 4laugh

he won't play fetch with me, just other people. lol plus, he's lost half his toys in boxes and corners and stuff that he's too big to get into. -.-
(friend's parents are going thru a divorce, so half the house rn is in boxes.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:53 am
Sarcasdick

Aw, poor kitty.
So he's overweight too? Or did I read that wrong? o.o  

Yule Cat

Chatty Cat

Sarcasdick
Vice Captain

Dangerous Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:23 pm
Yule Cat
Sarcasdick

Aw, poor kitty.
So he's overweight too? Or did I read that wrong? o.o

It's not an overweight thing.
He's just a big cat. lol
Taller than most I've ever seen.

Not like that Pickles that had the aids or whatever that was goin round facebook though.
Not that big XD

⥃Advice of every kind? Give it, get it.⥃

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff