Packing for College

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xX_JillianRose_Xx

Loyal Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:17 pm

What should I bring and what's a good limit so that I don't bring too much?
I'll be living in a dorm and I'm moving in this coming weekend. I have an idea of what to bring but I feel like I'm going to get stressed out and just bring too much.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:33 pm
If you don't use it all the time, you probably don't need it. Exceptions are mainly first aid things.

Clothing (NOT your entire closet; if you'll visit home over breaks, just trade out seasonal things. You don't need winter jackets until maybe October at the earliest, likely later, unless you're in a really cold area), toiletries, some bandaids and neosporin just in case, Aspirin, stuffed animals you like, laptop stuff, school supplies, alarm clock (if you need one), pillows/sheets/blankets. Bring posters and the like if you want to make your room "yours," but don't overdo it since it takes up a lot of space when packing. Clothing and toiletries are the only "must have" items, though, but a lot of the other things are good to have on hand (first aid things) or general comfort things (stuffed animals are amazing).

Stuff like some of your favorite snacks (dry things in resealable bags if you don't have a fridge/minifridge) are also good to bring, but you might be able to buy that on campus.

I brought a lot more stuff than I needed my first year at college. I never touched some decorations, I didn't have space for my second monitor, I had no need for my corsets when I was too busy rushing to class to dress up, etc. My things brought were narrowed down by a lot my second year, aside from the addition of cookware since I had a kitchen.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Strawberry Requiem

Thieving Sex Symbol

16,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 pm
Generally speaking, only bring things that you use all the time. Dorms are horribly small, and you'll be sharing it with another person, so conserving space is very important.

For clothes, only bring stuff that you're going to wearing frequently, especially if you'll be visiting home somewhat frequently. You can easily switch out your summer closet for your fall/winter closet when you return home. You'll also need your bedding and toiletry items (various soaps, wash cloths, towels, ect). Having some things to decorate your dorm is nice too, such as posters, pictures, and other decorations, but remember that this is the least of your concerns.

For electronics, make sure you have your laptop/computer and an alarm clock for sure. I know that most cell phones have alarm clock functions, but you'll want a back up just in case something happens. If you have one at your disposal, a TV is something nice to bring to help unwind. You could bring a video game system and a few games/DVDs, but think about size and how much you'd really be using it.

Non-perishable snacks are always good to have. If you bring food, you should also bring some ziplock bags for storage. If you'll have a mini fridge, this expands what food you can bring, but also what you will need to bring as well. You should have silverware and some plates/bowls/cups. The last thing you want is to make food and not have anything to eat it with. Bringing a microwave would be beneficial if you have the space.

Having extras of the necessities is always nice too. Bringing a spare phone charger could be a lifesaver, as well as any other small things that you use frequently.

And of course, school supplies. It's hard to say how many notebooks, pens, and other things you'll need since I don't know how your classes will be or how you take notes, so you'll have to make the best estimate.  
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games