Submit

Zandy

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:11 am
Hi there fellow members of the Revolution Gaia guild. I ask that all of you please read this post fully before posting as I would love to hear all of your opinions, though this post will be rather lengthy.

So on August 6th, Zero Omega made a couple of staff updates on behalf of Gaia. One of them mentioned the removal of gold generators (whether it is permanent or temporary is undetermined), and one mentioned a marketplace tax increase from the current 3% to 5%. I've noticed that a lot of users that were once anti-GC have began to purchase GC again hearing the good news, while others are relieved.

However, I absolute hate when Gaia ends up making fools of users, so I wanted to share my personal opinions on why I feel that Gaia is not yet out of the woods yet.

First, I think that we should all be rather skeptical about the recent changes for the following reasons:

1. This update was announced just over a day (since this post was made). Gaia has not yet provided sufficient time to make their actions credible. For all we know, Gaia could bring back gold generators in less than a week. I think it is important that we all wait a little longer, maybe a couple of months, to see if Gaia brings back gold generators. Nothing would be worse that to believe Gaia is headed for better days to only be sucker punched a couple of weeks later. Remember, Gaia's words haven't meant much in the past years, so if history repeats itself, then these two updates are null.

2. This could very well be a publicity stunt to build consumer confidence. I hate to think so negatively and of course this is just speculation, but we have to be realistic and analytical here. Why did Gaia publicly announce the discontinuation of gold generators? I think I would have personally held Gaia higher if they removed them without saying anything and let the users notice the change. It would have provided a more sufficient amount of time to digest the possibility of an indefinite removal of GC. We should also note that Gaia has done this sort of thing before with the gold sinks starting up in June. A lot of users were psyched and thought that Gaia was headed in the right direction, but unfortunately, that was also the start of when the rate of new gold generators coming out began to increase substantially. There are many instances where it felt like Gaia took one step forward and immediately took 10 steps back.

3. There is no definiteness, at least not yet. Zero Omega is just a messenger, however his post explicitly mentioned the possibility that gold generators could come back. Let's be honest, gold generators are probably the most controversial addition to the site in the history of Gaia. Gaia is NOT conducting consumer-satisfaction research here. They don't need to because there has been a year of thousands upon thousands of threads regarding gold generator distaste. Simply put, Gaia must be doing marketing-research and to see whether or not they can make more money with or without gold generators. Gaia is money hungry and we all know it. That said, we all know Gaia's intentions with gold generators. If items are inflated in value, then non-GC spenders generally have a much more difficult time in obtaining GC exclusives which pressure users to spend GC. Furthermore, there is still a subset of users on Gaia that gamble with gold generators. Although those sort of marketing techniques are disgusting, it certain seemed to make Gaia a lot of money because there was still a bunch of users willing to spend GC regardless of being anti-GC or anti-GG. That said, the change of conditions is sadly unlikely to bring up sales substantially, though I could be wrong.

Now I also want to bring up a point as somewhat of a reminder to us all. If I recall, this guild was established because we didn't like how management was running the site. The gold generators and inflation are only one part of that though, and there are still multiple problems with management that have not been addressed. Because of this, I certainly won't be opening my wallet anytime soon, and I still feel we should press Gaia to consider the following:

1. Gaia has still not taken responsibility for their actions in the last year. Not once has Gaia opening admitted to be a key contributor to inflation by providing gradually larger and larger amounts of gold and gradually cheaper and cheaper prices. Gaia has not admitted that inflation of the marketplace is a serious issue to users, specifically those who don't spend GC. Are we just supposed to forgive Gaia without an apology? I mean heck, it takes a lot of guts to admit your wrong, but to be honest, that is the first step ultimately... even before gold generators are discontinued. A lot of users, including myself, have grown up with Gaia and seen it change over the years. To have something you love and care about be festered by the upper management is disheartening. An apology is still needed.

2. Gaia still needs to provide more communication with their users. The ATA was removed, and the replacement in the Gaia Blogs hasn't been updated in over half a year... heck, it hasn't been updated since it's first post. I want to feel as though decisions made on the site are a collaboration between upper management and staff once again. I don't want Gaia to feel like an oligarchy, but rather a democracy. The most Gaia has done is release a survey in July, however, all but one of the questions pertained to items and it was likely just market research. USER SATISFACTION >> MARKET RESEARCH.

3. Gaia has not made any long-term project commitments apart from the avatar system. We haven't gotten the inventory arranger that was supposed to be released in December 2013. We haven't had updates to games in awhile. There hasn't been new fish or bugs added in eons. Javier Cross (a user) also mentioned that Gaia still hasn't made note of a new instant messenger for a site despite describing plans earlier last year. A lot of the site is still left cryptically outdated. Avatars are nice and all, but there needs to be more. I like to make the analogy that all the games, forums, etc... on the site are the bread, while the avatar system, marketplace, items, etc... are the fillings. If you have everything updated, then you have a delicious salad. If you only updated the avatar system, then all you have is a salad. Nobody likes eating salad every day (unless you're a super healthy vegan xd ).

4. Gaia's marketing is still sketchy and obsessive. Maybe this is just my opinion, but I HATE how the average item added to the cash shop these days seems to be 499GC - 999GC. It might be just nostalgia, but it was a MUCH better deal when items were a lot cheaper. With the rate Gaia releases new items, it have become every more unrealistic to obtain everything you want. Remember when a bundle of 4 items costed 799GC - 999GC? Now, we have single posed wings being priced at 3499GC, 7500GC, 20000GC, etc... If one thing will help inflation, it is increasing supplies of items, and that can easily be done if prices are dropped to be more reasonable.

Additionally, there's still the issues with these faux-value marketing schemes Gaia is addicted to. The "Limited Quantity" tag is one. The "today only", or "exclusive" are others. Gaia needs to stop with these, because they're falsifying the value of the item. It's not right that Gaia can make an item LQ and then instantly charge over 499GC for it.

5. Many items still have quality control issues. Some recolours still look like 2-minute jobs. Another large issue, especially as of lately is artists copying and pasting certain portions of the item in the back/front pose views. In many of the new items, the front view pose is IDENTICAL to the back view pose, and this causes issues because the perspective is often incorrect. This sort of issue is almost as annoying as the front-perspective issue with items a couple of years ago. It definitely matters if you frequent the virtual spaces. If Gaia wants users to spend larger amounts of money on items, I think it the least Gaia could do is to ensure higher quality standards.

Anyways, I am pretty much done my very long post/rant. Please, let's not forget the last 5 reasons as to why many of us joined the guild. We shouldn't be anywhere near satisfied yet, even if gold generators are gone indefinitely because there is still a long ways to go emotion_bigheart . I hope I didn't come across as too much of a negative Nancy or anything, but false hope is by far one of the most aggravating symptoms of Gaia these days... Once again, please post your opinions and responses as I would love to hear them.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:44 am
Zandykins

yum_onigiri
For now I'm just so happy they listened to us on one thing (even if it's just for a short while)

I also noticed that they condensed an announcement about the bundles as well which people have been asking for instead of getting like 25.

As for the prices of items in the CS... One thing at a time I think. If they don't brig the GGs back then it would be something to address but for now I think the fact that they actually took them out like I said before; even for a short while IS in fact a step in the right direction. A small but good step none the less.

Strawberry Dinotart

Adorable Strawberry

29,075 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:05 am
What about instant messaging or some ways to contact other gaians without instant messaging or commenting?

Let's not forget about group updates, either.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:33 am
Don't worry guys, we're well aware that the revolution is not over. As long as there are things Gaia needs to fix we'll be here.

As of this moment I agree that we should be cautious in our optimism but I hold out hope that perhaps this is an honest attempt to do right by the users.

For now, take a break from the fighting. Our cookout starts today so please, feel free to enjoy it!  

xx I met my fate xx

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Darius Runan
Crew

Enduring Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 am
There are a multitude of things that need taken care of. But by far the biggest thing would be an engaged and active community. I think even the staff are aware of that to an extent. Maybe, just maybe, they want the community to be restored.

I agree with Fate, Let's have some fun for a bit. Or problems aren't solved, but we deserve a good time too while dealing with them.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 am
I would like to point out that the gold gens were not removed because the people wanted them to be. It was stated at they were taken down because of a glitch and that if you bought gc to buy a gg you send them a ticket and they would get back to you.  

Gumby Ningata

Lavish Ladykiller

Zandy

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:25 am
Javier Cross
What about instant messaging or some ways to contact other gaians without instant messaging or commenting?

Oh yes, I remember Gaia mentioned that they were looking through a possible replacement for Meebo. I'll add that to the first post shortly! Though, what do you mean by group updates? Like, grouped announcements? If so, then Gaia has grouped some in the last few days. It's nowhere near to where it was a year ago, but I think Gaia only put out 6 or 7 yesterday, a big drop from its highest peak at 33 in one day (or was it 37?)

xx I met my fate xx
Don't worry guys, we're well aware that the revolution is not over. As long as there are things Gaia needs to fix we'll be here.

As of this moment I agree that we should be cautious in our optimism but I hold out hope that perhaps this is an honest attempt to do right by the users.

For now, take a break from the fighting. Our cookout starts today so please, feel free to enjoy it!

Gah, I have been so disconnected from Gaia from the past few weeks. I think I've only been actively online at most 15-20 minutes per day in the past few weeks with a few exceptions. I sign on and all, but I browse for only a minute or two and get distracted and just stay idle xd . I just got a little more active 4-ish days ago, so I'll have to check out to see what the cookout is about 3nodding .

Gumby Ningata
I would like to point out that the gold gens were not removed because the people wanted them to be. It was stated at they were taken down because of a glitch and that if you bought gc to buy a gg you send them a ticket and they would get back to you.

Actually, the gold generators being removed wasn't a glitch. In fact, in Zero's post is says, "This is not a glitch." xd . I think Gaia was kind of throwing around mixed signals though when Zero was trying to make a backstory about a fake G-Virus. I think they offered refunds though the ticket system only because they removed gold generators earlier than they intended.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:28 am
Zandykins
Javier Cross

Oh yes, I remember Gaia mentioned that they were looking through a possible replacement for Meebo. I'll add that to the first post shortly! Though, what do you mean by group updates? Like, grouped announcements? If so, then Gaia has grouped some in the last few days. It's nowhere near to where it was a year ago, but I think Gaia only put out 6 or 7 yesterday, a big drop from its highest peak at 33 in one day (or was it 37?)

xx I met my fate xx

Gah, I have been so disconnected from Gaia from the past few weeks. I think I've only been actively online at most 15-20 minutes per day in the past few weeks with a few exceptions. I sign on and all, but I browse for only a minute or two and get distracted and just stay idle xd . I just got a little more active 4-ish days ago, so I'll have to check out to see what the cookout is about 3nodding .

Gumby Ningata

Actually, the gold generators being removed wasn't a glitch. In fact, in Zero's post is says, "This is not a glitch." xd . I think Gaia was kind of throwing around mixed signals though when Zero was trying to make a backstory about a fake G-Virus. I think they offered refunds though the ticket system only because they removed gold generators earlier than they intended.
I guess I missed that one word.  

Gumby Ningata

Lavish Ladykiller

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:29 am
Zandykins
Javier Cross

xx I met my fate xx

Gumby Ningata

I mean with being able to update the system itself like with updating Revolution: Gaia if it has to be done.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:41 am
I agree with everything you said about Gaia's management problems, especially needing an official apology. Buuut I think we should give the staff some credit too. Other than the tax increase and the removal of gold gens, we've had less GC sales announcements (CS announcements are still bad though), no more ad pms, maintenance on zOMG! (even if it's just to fix some bugs), a subdued welcoming fairy, a handful of free charm packs, and an upgrade in DC awards. It sure seems like a load of good change in a short period.

About the gold gens, I bought GC this week to hopefully show HQ that I, among others, would start paying real stuff if they take away gold gens. This is probably an experiment to see how HQ can earn more, but I don't mind falling for it atm since it seems like a win-win situation.

Sure the economy isn't the only problem with this site, but it's one of the more obvious problems, and I'm happy we have a shot at trying to resolve it.
Now I don't know what to do with my signature .-.  

Punktz

Shirtless Spirit

12,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
  • Brandisher 100

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 pm
Of course I don't disagree that the Revolution is over. There are still a multitude of things that need to be corrected and promises to be delivered.

Although I still hold out skepticism with this whole state of affairs, I'm extremely excited and I can only hope that Gaians will find ways to show Gaia their overwhelming support for this seemingly temporary decision, by offering their love and thanks or even by purchasing GC after abstaining for so long.

Personally, I wouldn't mind loosing $10 by purchasing GC just to show my support. Call it a gamble if you will, but if we don't do something it won't encourage them to keep it up and continue heading towards those greater changes you spoke about. If Gold Gens can be permanently stopped then the community can concentrate on rallying for those other issues that need to be addressed.

On another note, I'm convinced that their revenue and site traffic has decreased during the course of this year, especially since they have been providing sales on top of discounts. We can measure this by looking at free traffic reports. I've been watching it and I have comparisons, although I understand that these do not necessarily reflect the truth, they must show something Not to mention that users cutting of GC has been going around like a plague xp

Maybe this is a ploy/stunt to see if cutting out gold gens really is the right decision. Maybe this is staffs opportunity to show their CEO and COO that THIS is what the community wants and actually listening to the users can be more beneficial to the company. That is what I'm holding out hope on at least....  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:57 pm
I still don't have faith in Gaia right now and I'm just waiting to see what happens before I throw confetti at them. After all, they'e done a year's worth of damage that has yet to even be remotely forgiven. Sure they removed the GG's and lessened the announcements but they themselves have said that GG's aren't permanent.  

Quiet Afternoon

Feral Bookworm

7,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100

serafym_angelkynd

Amorous Receiver

27,215 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 pm
true. its not finished fixing up zomg. also i hope the fix the captcha problem that is horribly warped when you try to save after you finish fishing!and the lame events too! having a poem/poetry event for prizes for those of us who are not gifted in that area...........

and the polls/surveys should be done on the thread and no longer on survey monkey! so we all know the true results and not whatever they decide to tell us.......

so much more to be fixed gaia........  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:47 pm
Punktz
I agree with everything you said about Gaia's management problems, especially needing an official apology.

And add to that the reversal of some questionable mod actions. First and foremost, they should issue a general amnesty to those who got banned for reporting the PMs and the announcements for the spam that they are.  

Alexius08

Destitute Millionaire

📢Taking Action! - Petitions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces