Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Minor students

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you teach minors?
  Yes
  Yes, but only with parental permission
  No
  Other (Please comment to specify)
View Results

tanwyn_llewellyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:13 am
What boundaries do you normally set with minors? Do you accept minor students?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:27 pm
tanwyn_llewellyn
What boundaries do you normally set with minors? Do you accept minor students?
For me it is a moot point. My spiritual tradition is a closed one linked directly to an ethnicity.

For others, it depends on the tradition. Wicca is not open to minors because of the legal contracts that need to be signed at the time of initiation.

The Asatru kindren I know does a lot of fostering- with three of my favorite little Asatru being minors.  

TeaDidikai

Jaded Cat of the World

Blazing Wildcat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:54 pm
I would never train a minor. I might give them advice, but never train. There are too many legal matters. In this day and age, Parents divorced and all, one parent may agree, while the other does not. The you find yourself in the middle of a fight. At age 18, most are old enough to go out in the world and live their own life. They can make their own life for themselves.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:13 am
For me it is dependent on what the training entails and the individual to be trained. I'd take it on a case by case basis. Perhaps that's because I'm of the mind that we're all teachers and all students? Besides, if they're really interested they'll seek information on their own anyway; why not give them some guidance if they ask?  

Starlock

Andrew boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:05 pm
If I ever became a teacher (which I probally won't) I would only teach my believes to those of Celtic or Nordic background.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:39 am
I myself, being 17 (soon be 18, woot!) need guidenece and advice when studying Paganism, espeically in the witchcraft department. Anyways, giving guidence is sometimes all a minor seeker needs, training can come when they are old enough. It gives us something to look forward to, I myself am way excited!  

A_Flames_Desire

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:51 pm
I'd agree with that; I'd give guidance but I wouldnt' teach. I'd point out good books to read and things to study, but I'd let them do their own works and practises until they were old enough to be of age. Teaching to me means a commitment, offering up a lesson plan, things like that. The occasional question answered or opinion expressed wouldn't be the same.  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:04 am
Five year gap. If someone is five years older or younger than me then I contain the neccessary lexicon to communicate with them. As I get older, that gap will widen because I learn new skills and gain practice and experience.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:28 am
I like the five year gap rule...

I was fourteen when I started my apprenticeship.

I would say that taking on a minor to apprentice/train is a good idea depending of course on the practice, religion or intent and the maturity level and frame of mind of the minor.

In retrospect though, I think I was a TERRIBLE choice for a student. But in retrospect my Bestemor was also psychotic. stare xd
(I still flinch when someone waves a broom or umbrella around. whee )

Match made in heaven I swear.
Snotty, cocky, violent and aggressive juvenile, armchair scholar.
Snappy, cocky, proud, (somewhat senile) yappy, "disciplinary enforcer", grandmotherly nutcase.

I myself would never think of taking a student until well... I guess I feel I've gained a substantial grounded foundation from which I'd feel I could actually... I dont know... Be worthy and... sturdy?... enough (both in my practice, physically, emotionally and spiritually) to actually take on a student and give them the training and guidance they deserve...  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:43 am
I believe that the time to explore religion is in adolesence. So, I would introduce the moral matters of Paganism/Wicca to a minor if they were to ask, however, I'm not qualified to teach anything, so yes I would teach a minor what I know... (the basics) but I wouldn't train them in spiritual rituals. That is for them to explore on there own.  

ToshiYoko

7,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:32 am
i refuse to teach minors. for one, i'd rather not interfere with their parent's method of raising them. for another, i'm rather liberal apparently and can consider something without fully accepting it. i'm too literal for another, as well as rigid when it comes to laying something out for another to understand.

i might point out an occasional book, or mention a good website, etc, but i cannot teach. i lack the discipline and patience for me to mentor even.  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:32 am
I'd rather not teach, but I guide when it seems necessary. Often though, I'll just keep my mouth shut... one must learn through experience, after all. Greatest teacher.

I end up being a counseler more often than not.  

psycmoe

xxantuxx

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:52 pm
I've only been learning for about a year and a half now... I know a lot but most of it is incomplete and from the internet where not everything is trust worthy... I wish I had someone to train me but I've done the best I can, I'm 14 and I have helped my friends to learn, giving advice, sharing what I have learned... So I suppose I might say I've sort of trained them... Not quite sure... But I feel good, the people really like what they learn and they feel at home in the religion.

But even when I have my children... I guess I won't raise them wiccan, they will be raised with the goddess in their heart and a understanding and love for the world and nature, but they will make their own choices for religious paths wether it be Xianity or Paganism or some other sort of religion, as long as they feel whole.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:19 pm
We atheists love taking on minor students.

Especially attractive females. So pics plz, kthx. heart  

Triste-chan

Kal Eldritch

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:50 pm
When/if I ever become a teacher, I'd only teach minors if their parents/gaurdians were in total control of the situation and allowed me to.

Really, the only time I'd break this rule is if the teen was obviously misinformed and defiant of their parents judgement on the situation. Although it is their right to chose their religion, they are obviously many horrible sources of information. I'd just set the record straight and that's about it, and maybe contact their parents.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games