Considering Faith

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cool4

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 pm
My Boyfriend has decided he needs to go back to the Catholic Church. He was apart of it before we met and for his own reasons dropped out stopped going to Mass. We talked about it a lot before he decided if it's what he should do. The way he talks about his beliefs it's the place he needs to be and it's good for him. I support him 100 percent in this choice.

Where I struggle, I have never been baptized or apart of any religion. I was raised in an Atheist family and never really ventured into my own queries about if God exist..ect. I'm not sure if I should join him into the Church. I'm not really sure if I would just be following because I love him. I'm not entirely sure if I share their beliefs.

We've been together for about a year and half now, and the relationship is good. For the most part we've been looking at our relationship as something that seems pretty stable and will probably end up in marriage 4-5 years down the line , which to us lines up with when we both think we would be ready to make these decisions and take them seriously.

With him adopting being Catholic again, I'm trying to figure out what my place is in all of this and what it would mean for our future. As well is this something I should consider pursuing.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:13 pm
I think it's great that you support his decision to go back to being a Catholic. But, as for joining it as well, don't just do it for him. Look into it, and see if it's really for you. Maybe go to church services with him to see what it's like to get a 'feel'. If it's really not for you, that's ok too. You can still support his decision. Just don't feel forced into it. And, hopefully he'll respect how you feel about it either way. I come from an interfaith family. Half of them are Jewish, the other half is Irish Catholic. My parents raised me as a Jew, but told me when I was older that it's my decision whether to stay Jewish, or be something else, or lack thereof. They just wanted me to be happy. I decided to stick with being Jewish, because it really spoke (and still does) to me. It's a very personal decision.  

shadow22cat

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

cool4

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 pm
shadow22cat
I think it's great that you support his decision to go back to being a Catholic. But, as for joining it as well, don't just do it for him. Look into it, and see if it's really for you. Maybe go to church services with him to see what it's like to get a 'feel'. If it's really not for you, that's ok too. You can still support his decision. Just don't feel forced into it. And, hopefully he'll respect how you feel about it either way. I come from an interfaith family. Half of them are Jewish, the other half is Irish Catholic. My parents raised me as a Jew, but told me when I was older that it's my decision whether to stay Jewish, or be something else, or lack thereof. They just wanted me to be happy. I decided to stick with being Jewish, because it really spoke (and still does) to me. It's a very personal decision.

I've gone to Mass with him twice now, though week day Mass so it wasn't such a big deal. He cares about me and won't force me into it and has basically told me it has to be my choice.

Not joining means I won't entirely be apart of the biggest part of his life. To him he is deeply spiritual, which scares me.

Though I think my plan is just to give it time to figure out my own beliefs.  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games