Submit

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 pm
I am in need of help. I'm trying to make molds and casts of some stuff I sculpted myself and would like to replicate. I tried and RTV rubber 0ne-piece mold and it did not make a very good cast. What kind of tips can you give me any other ideas or suggestions. Thank you in advance.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:18 am
Good question, and thanks for asking about making casts of your own sculpted components which are in no way illegal or in violation of GW's intellectual property, and thus inviting yourself and all others here into a potential lawsuit. 3nodding

I've used a couple different things. Instamold is good for one-offs of small parts with milliput or greenstuff, and can be re-shaped for use again and again.

For more permanent or repetitive molds and casts, I use two-part silicone molding material. this is the one I used, and it doesn't take much. Use legos to create a box to fill with your mold, and to press the top layer flat with the bottom after the bottom dries. It's got a full set of instructions and all, I just recommend using some sort of oil between the layers so that they halves separate with minimal cutting and tearing.

Resin is more complicated. I use something called Fast-Cast which sets in about two hours and has a pot life of around 10 minutes. You need to make sure to cut several air vents in your mold (easy to do with silicone) and make sure they all vent on the side you're injecting resin. You also want to pick up some syringes on the cheap to inject the resin and be able to measure how much you're mixing.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150