Submit

Visitors
  +1
View Results

Kangit
Crew

High-functioning Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 am
I've compiled a list of Adblock codes that should help make using Gaia a little more tolerable. You will need to have Adblock Plus installed for them to work.

If you have the Element Hiding Helper extension installed (might not apply to Chrome), you can use even more codes, many of which are much more effective than the Adblock-only codes, so I highly recommend it. The codes that require the Element Hiding Helper extension will be marked with EHH. All of the codes require at least Adblock, so if you don't have both Adblock Plus and the Element Hiding Helper installed, the Element Hiding Helper codes won't work (unless you use Chrome).

Aquarium Codes

||gaiaonline.com/images/Gaia_Flash/aquarium/assets/decorations/*

Blocks decorations.

||gaiaonline.com/images/Gaia_Flash/aquarium/assets/sound/*

Blocks sound and music.

||gaiaonline.com/images/Gaia_Flash/aquarium/assets/backgrounds/*

Blocks backgrounds.

||gaiaonline.com/images/Gaia_Flash/aquarium/assets/terrains/*

Blocks terrains.

Banners (EHH)

gaiaonline.com###offer_banner

EHH: Blocks the banners that show up just under the toolbar.

Cash Tree

There's an option to turn off the Cash Tree from your Account Settings.

But if, for whatever reason (like if you have more than one account, only use the Cash Tree for a certain browser, etc.), you want to Adblock it instead, you can use the (EHH only) Adblock code below:

gaiaonline.com###cashtree

EHH: This prevents the Cash Tree from showing up in the header.

Centered Site Layout

||gaiaonline.com/src/*/src/css/core2_centered.css

Disables the Centered Site layout to make it look like the original left-aligned layout.

Daily Treat

||gaiaonline.com/images/sponsorships/sponsoredtreat/video_sponsor.gif

This hides the Daily Treat GIF, but leaves the link, and the "Click for a prize" message when you hover over it.

gaiaonline.com###dailytreat

EHH: This completely blocks the Daily Treat from showing up.

Lucky Box

||gaiaonline.com/src/*/src/js/treasure/treasure.js

This prevents the Lucky Box from showing up in the header.

||gaiaonline.com/images/Gaia_Flash/aquarium/assets/ui/specialOffer.png

This prevents the Lucky Box from showing up in aquariums.

Pre-roll Ads

||adserver.adtechus.com/crossdomain.xml

This should be default when you first get Adblock, but in case it somehow gets turned off and you don't know how to block it again, this code should prevent any pre-roll Flash Space ads from playing. The ad screen will show up for a few seconds, but it won't play anything, and it should go straight into the Flash Space. If it doesn't load at all, or if it just takes a really long time, you should probably try unblocking any filters with "crunchyroll" in it (if applicable).

If you're using Towns 1 specifically, you can go in through this link and completely bypass the pre-roll ads. The page layout is a little different from going in the "normal way," but everything should run as it would on its official page, including being able to collect items.

Promote My Post Button / Promoted Topics

||gaiaonline.com/images/forum/pmp/pmp_sprites.png

This hides the background of the Promote My Post button, but leaves the link, the gap between the Preview and Submit buttons, and you can still read the words, "Promote My Post," it's just less flashy.

gaiaonline.com##.pimp-my-post

EHH: This completely blocks the Promote My Post button from showing up. It also doesn't leave a gap between the Preview and Submit buttons.

gaiaonline.com##.alert

gaiaonline.com##.gold

gaiaonline.com##.sparkle

EHH: These together (though you can choose which ones if you don't want to block all of them) will prevent any thread that has been promoted from showing up. Note: This does not change the thread to normal color, it completely removes it from the list, so you can't look at it or click it. But if you tend to boycott promoted threads or ignore the users that post them anyway (either because they're being annoyingly flashy, or because they spent Gaia Cash just to do that), then blocking these will just save you time and annoyance in the long run.

RIG Pet / Chance Item GIF (EHH)

gaiaonline.com##[href="http://www.gaiaonline.com/promo/chanceitem"]

EHH: Blocks the GIFs that show up to the right of your avatar, which are used to advertise a new Chance Item, often the "RIG pet" of the new CI.

Towns 1 Codes

zOMG! Codes

Lagging in zOMG? Try Adblock.

Adblock makes zOMG less laggy

These both have a long list of Adblock codes for zOMG! intended to reduce lag. Their codes may vary from each other, so if you're looking for something in particular and can't find it in one thread, you should try the other one.

If any of the information is wrong or has changed, please inform me so I can fix it. If you know of any other Adblock codes not listed that you think someone else may want, you can post them here. If you're looking for an Adblock code not listed, you can ask me, and I'll see if I can find one. cat_3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:20 am
Reserved.  

Kangit
Crew

TS Sailor Cronus

Feline Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 am
Sadly, no EHH for Chrome. sad

Also, my ABP simply doesn't work. It doesn't block video ads, or any ads, like it says, and will only block if I specifically right-click something and tell it to.

I've also been getting pop-ups the last few days, which I've never had before... stare  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 am
++ Great resource Kangit. Chrome user as well but I hope others can use it to
their fancy. Making Gaia more tolerable is always well appreciated. ++

Quadropopilous

Rare

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:31 am
Too bad they don't have them for mobile
Or Apple products
So I'm doomed either way <___>  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 pm
TS Sailor Cronus

Also, my ABP simply doesn't work. It doesn't block video ads, or any ads, like it says, and will only block if I specifically right-click something and tell it to.

I've also been getting pop-ups the last few days, which I've never had before... stare

I didn't see any mention of it excluding Chrome, but when I tried to install it, I was able to download something, but I don't know how to use it. cat_question

Maybe your ABP is out of date or turned off? Is it at least blocking the third-party ads, or is it not blocking anything?

Are those the "special popup offers" that show up on My Gaia? I haven't seen those as much lately.  

Kangit
Crew

Kangit
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:12 pm
Quadropopilous
++ Great resource Kangit. Chrome user as well but I hope others can use it to
their fancy. Making Gaia more tolerable is always well appreciated. ++

Thank you. cat_3nodding I thought the EHH extension would work for Chrome, but apparently not. cat_neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:17 pm
Kitalpha Hart
Too bad they don't have them for mobile
Or Apple products
So I'm doomed either way <___>

I think they have one for Android, but I don't know if they have any for the mobile ones from Apple. Maybe Google has a link to one somewhere.  

Kangit
Crew

TS Sailor Cronus

Feline Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm
Kangit
TS Sailor Cronus

I didn't see any mention of it excluding Chrome, but when I tried to install it, I was able to download something, but I don't know how to use it. cat_question

Maybe your ABP is out of date or turned off? Is it at least blocking the third-party ads, or is it not blocking anything?

Are those the "special popup offers" that show up on My Gaia? I haven't seen those as much lately.

I looked up the EHH thing, and it's a common problem: people can't use them on Chrome, even though they can download them.

ABP was installed like two weeks ago, not turned off. And it is not blocking ANYTHING WHATSOEVER unless I specifically click the "X" on the ad or right-click to block.

All the pop-ups are from other sites, like for car insurance, and... something about "Girl Games". stare I mean, they're not just the little windows, either, they're full-screen animated-- sometimes video-- ads that completely obstruct all view of my computer screen, and those did not happen at all before I installed ABP. scream

To its credit, whenever it DOES block anything, that thing never ever comes back.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:51 pm
TS Sailor Cronus
Kangit
TS Sailor Cronus

I looked up the EHH thing, and it's a common problem: people can't use them on Chrome, even though they can download them.

ABP was installed like two weeks ago, not turned off. And it is not blocking ANYTHING WHATSOEVER unless I specifically click the "X" on the ad or right-click to block.

All the pop-ups are from other sites, like for car insurance, and... something about "Girl Games". stare I mean, they're not just the little windows, either, they're full-screen animated-- sometimes video-- ads that completely obstruct all view of my computer screen, and those did not happen at all before I installed ABP. scream

To its credit, whenever it DOES block anything, that thing never ever comes back.

Maybe it needs to be re-downloaded. I haven't had that problem, so I don't know how to fix it.

Gaia tends to have a lot of rollover ads, so if Adblock isn't blocking anything, you could accidentally open one. Before I got Adblock, they would keep opening if I didn't watch where I rested my mouse cursor.

I tried playing around with the Chrome version of Adblock, and for me, it's letting me block the EHH codes without actually downloading the extension (I don't think it somehow downloaded). I click on the APB symbol, click Options, Add your own filters, then put in the EHH codes, and they seem to work. I can also click on the APB symbol, click Block Element, then block the objects I see without the codes.  

Kangit
Crew

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:44 pm
I've been using Stylish 1.4.2 for Firefox to center Gaia and guilds along with Flashblock and FirefoxAdKiller to get rid of the stuff I see all around. The cash tree doesn't bother me at all and the announcement bubble just serves to remind me of how often things are occurring around here no matter how fast I choose to click through them.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 am
Pwnder
I've been using Stylish 1.4.2 for Firefox to center Gaia and guilds along with Flashblock and FirefoxAdKiller to get rid of the stuff I see all around. The cash tree doesn't bother me at all and the announcement bubble just serves to remind me of how often things are occurring around here no matter how fast I choose to click through them.

I haven't found a good Adblock code for the announcements anyway. Either you block just the link to the announcements, which wouldn't be noticeable if you have any other notices, but otherwise will just leave an empty bubble (which can't be cleared unless you go through the announcements), or you just block the entire notification bubble, which means you can't see any of your notices through that method (PMs, My Gaia notices and requests, Staff Notices, etc.).  

Kangit
Crew

Knight Yoshi

Skilled Genius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:24 pm
Kangit
Pwnder

I haven't found a good Adblock code for the announcements anyway. Either you block just the link to the announcements, which wouldn't be noticeable if you have any other notices, but otherwise will just leave an empty bubble (which can't be cleared unless you go through the announcements), or you just block the entire notification bubble, which means you can't see any of your notices through that method (PMs, My Gaia notices and requests, Staff Notices, etc.).

Because you won't find a "good Adblock code." Adblock Plus removes elements from the page. So when you remove the announcements notification, if there are no other notifications it'll just leave an empty notification bubble.
I have remedied this with a UserScript and a Firefox add-on I'm working on for Gaia.
See a previous post for the UserScript, http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.91444269_4/#4  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:36 pm
Knight Yoshi
Kangit
Pwnder

Because you won't find a "good Adblock code." Adblock Plus removes elements from the page. So when you remove the announcements notification, if there are no other notifications it'll just leave an empty notification bubble.
I have remedied this with a UserScript and a Firefox add-on I'm working on for Gaia.
See a previous post for the UserScript, http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.91444269_4/#4

this does not affect guild announcements right? or does it?  

SL33PY X3

Knight Yoshi

Skilled Genius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 pm
CR-SL33PY
Knight Yoshi
Kangit
Pwnder

this does not affect guild announcements right? or does it?

It shouldn't. They should use different class tags, so it should only announcements.  
📢Taking Action! - Petitions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff