Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visitors
  +1
View Results

TheJesterGuy

Aged Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:39 pm
I've found this thread in the Chatterbox (don't worry, it's a "trolls free" thread):

Do you care about the AVATAR ARENA winners?

Which has the following content:
Melodious Cantata
I honestly feel bad for those who submit kick-a** entries in the Arena but don't win (or rank way too low) because...

1. They are unpopular users.
2. They have very few friends (or mules or fans) to vote for them or to down-vote other entries.

Your thoughts?

I've already posted mine:
CourageNFaith

I feel you. And I see these are the two major complaints that people (including me) have toward AA.

It's basically a contest where "who has more friends is the winner", which's not only unfair but also a form of "cheating" your way up, you know.
An avatar should win based on the amount of work and effort an artist put in it, not how many friends him/her has.
If so, I'd be better that me and other artists would quit AA altogether, because, what's the point ?

I once won the Arena but I guess it's because I got "lucky" in there.
Here's the link - http://www.gaiaonline.com/arena/gaia/original-avatar/winners/?cid=2445

Mine was the last one: "Purple Star, the Nightmaren".

If I didn't vote and comment in other avatars, I guess I wouldn't make it.

So, what do you think about this thread in the Chatterbox ?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:41 pm
Gaia just doesn't promo their Arenas anymore. Its sad because this is a community of writers and artists, its not just about the avatars. I'm kind of irritated that they haven't bothered to update a contest, heck they could include aquariums into the mix if they wanted to. Gaia is failing itself, it's not the users. It's like going to the same restaurant every weekend for 3 years and not seeing a new item on the menu, but they changed chefs like 6 times and the food just isn't the same anymore and your favorite server quit long ago because of a toxic work environment so the service got bad too. gonk

If they would just get off their bums and put just a little effort in the the existing features we would slowly but surely see better user activity. The arenas has become stale, loaded down with avatars that all look the same these days, and most people can't compete with those who are buying up all those shiny's in the CS and have stupid amount of friends and mules sad  

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100

TS Sailor Cronus

Feline Paladin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:03 pm
Pwnder
It's like going to the same restaurant every weekend for 3 years and not seeing a new item on the menu, but they changed chefs like 6 times and the food just isn't the same anymore and your favorite server quit long ago because of a toxic work environment so the service got bad too. gonk

Why. Can't. We. Tip. In. GUILDS??!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:33 am
Pwnder
Gaia just doesn't promo their Arenas anymore. Its sad because this is a community of writers and artists, its not just about the avatars. I'm kind of irritated that they haven't bothered to update a contest, heck they could include aquariums into the mix if they wanted to. Gaia is failing itself, it's not the users. It's like going to the same restaurant every weekend for 3 years and not seeing a new item on the menu, but they changed chefs like 6 times and the food just isn't the same anymore and your favorite server quit long ago because of a toxic work environment so the service got bad too. gonk

If they would just get off their bums and put just a little effort in the the existing features we would slowly but surely see better user activity. The arenas has become stale, loaded down with avatars that all look the same these days, and most people can't compete with those who are buying up all those shiny's in the CS and have stupid amount of friends and mules sad

Yeah, and it gets worse that they don't care about nothing but profits and dry the site out as much as possible. neutral
I guess it's time to make some stuff on our own (gold sinks for instance) because , if we keep expecting something positive from this current leadership, we're gonna be literally "In Deep Ship". neutral

If they ever put some real effort, they'd stop with this recolor craze a long time ago and fix/update many parts of this site and would make the AA a more "fair game".
And yeah, in some weeks the Arena seems dull to me, with not only avatars that are a cluster f*ck of Cash items (which will basically give you automatic 5 stars) but also unimaginative art. But even so, some of them managed to get Top 10 only because their friends and mules voted them up and voted other people down.
As I said, it's not fair and also literally hurts the credibility of the contest.

However, this won't stop me from exposing my avatar art in the arenas, even if it gets buried to the black hole. At least, I knew some nice people in there. smile

I guess the way to go is to do something like the Tahiti Team in the last year's Confederations Cup here in Brazil: they got their asses kicked big time by all the other countries (specially Spain, which scored TEN goals on that poor team), but what they lacked in goals and skills they made for charisma, simplicity and humbleness.
So, yeah, I guess that's the way to go in there. smile  

TheJesterGuy

Aged Gaian

Cadenza of the Heart

Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:48 pm
I've noticed a HUGE elitism mood there too
People in the cosplay section get super duper picky a
nd will 1 star a great cosplay avatar
JUST because there wasn't a ref image,
or they did a different interpretation of the character
and will complain that because it's not 100% like the source material
then it's an original character and not a cosplay
which ticks me off to no end because you wouldn't go to a con
and go up to the girl doing prom dress harley quinn and yell at her
that she's not cosplaying harley quinn, she's now doing an OC  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:49 pm
Cadenza of the Heart

Yes! I have noticed a LOT of that too! Happened to me when I entered an original character avi of mine under the right subforum two different times! People then started commenting, they kept saying stuff like, "Where's the reference pic?", "Wrong avi arena." or they'd get literally nit picky about how some of the items don't match color wise and such, which really ticked me off! I hate having to repeatedly remove or report those comments every bloody time! Grr! stressed  

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:35 pm
My avi is crunk

I got my back wings on, I'm all shiny and sparkle-y and all about Gaia

I paid GC for everything I'm wearing too!
rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 am
Princess Zelda21
Cadenza of the Heart

Yes! I have noticed a LOT of that too! Happened to me when I entered an original character avi of mine under the right subforum two different times! People then started commenting, they kept saying stuff like, "Where's the reference pic?", "Wrong avi arena." or they'd get literally nit picky about how some of the items don't match color wise and such, which really ticked me off! I hate having to repeatedly remove or report those comments every bloody time! Grr! stressed

Oh, yeah, the Cosplay Arena. If you don't follow the reference of the character detail by detail or give it "another interpretation", get ready for some sh*tstorm coming to you, followed by strikes of 1 stars and reports, period. rolleyes

So, yeah, if you wanna give a character an "alternative" interpretation, you're better making a fan or original character instead and submitting it to the "Original Arena".
And if you do a cosplay character, just do it as it is and provide a ref image (which for better or worse is obligatory) so people know what they're "dealing" with, which picture you used as a reference and see how you went with your creation.

tl;dr: Play by the "rules" and you'll be safe.

I guess this is one of the reasons I don't like to do cosplay avatars to the Arena too much, because it becomes a tedious homework. neutral
I don't feel any pleasure doing avi's like this, unless to myself.

I guess you're safe when you do cosplays of "obscure" games/movies/other medias, like I did with the one I have, which's a "green wind demon" from a Chinese arcade game called "Oriental Legend", which's a game based in the legendary "Journey to the West" story.
Unless you know about the M.A.M.E. emulator and how to use this, you don't have a clue who this guy is. xd  

TheJesterGuy

Aged Gaian

Lost Retort

Cluttered Shapeshifter

16,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 pm
TS Sailor Cronus

Because if they were to update guilds,
they would drown them in advertisements and greed,
and then there would no longer be a place for me to camp out.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 pm
Lost Retort
TS Sailor Cronus

Because if they were to update guilds,
they would drown them in advertisements and greed,
and then there would no longer be a place for me to camp out.

Eeeeewwwww, why do you have to make so much sense right now? gonk  

TS Sailor Cronus

Feline Paladin

Gumby Ningata

Lavish Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:00 am
I have entered a few times and never did well. It is not something I really pay attention to unless, like after Halloween and this up coming Easter, E-Corp does a mass arena entry. We actually got one of our members to place so that was cool.  
💇💅Avatar Talk!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games