Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Hello. I'd like to say a few important words... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:19 pm
Hello there. My name is Rebecca, and I come from scotland.

I do know there is a thread where I can introduce myself, but not many people do tend to pay attention to what I post, so i hope that making a thread helps.

Now, I came to this guild because I thought that I could have a fun time with people that are in the same country or near it as I am rather than talked to people that have a time difference in between 6-12 hours, in front of or behind.

But as I've had a look through threads, I've noticed that a majority of these members are english, so I feel slightly isolated. Is it really Great Britain, or just England+a tiny counrty that belongs to the land of the Scots?

Also, I just want to know from the creator/moderators of this guild if I have to be very literate. You said that you normally invited people who had come from extended discussion, whereas I joined because my friend reccommended me coming here, but she has rarely posted here too. I'm just starting to fret: Do I have to be logical all the time, here?

My history isn't that good, I have problems trying to structure my english sentences exactly and I cannot put logic into anything at all. not even putting in a slice of bread into a toaster.

I am a very literate, yet a very imaginative person with a not-so sophisticated vocabulary. Do I belong in this guild, or do i not?

From xXBeKzXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:22 am
Everyone belongs to this guild.

and you're not alone in your scottishness; actually I think the number of gaian Scots is rather disproportionate to their actual ratio in the Isles.

and if you think about it, Britain is English + tiny number of others...but at least we have some land mass to wave at them.  

ficklefiend
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:15 am
Oh certainly, yes. Ha, there's that yoghurt subforum and I doubt you'll find a shred of logic in there. No, I'm not sure there's much in the way of analytical or logical in here.

Really, it's just that when the range of people joining widened I noticed a depressing number of well-meaning but largely illiterate and near-incomprehensible applications for people looking to join the guild.

The "ED" ethos isn't so much to govern discussion (that'd be pretty dull, we're good at meanidering around topics or diverting from them altogether) but just to keep it all pleasantly civilised and readable. Which, in resrospect, isn't much like ED at all.

Apart from that, do as thou wilt. I'm not really in the business of telling members here what to do or how to act. They usually manage to set their own example quite well. I'm rather proud, really.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:28 pm
Invictus_88
Ha, there's that yoghurt subforum and I doubt you'll find a shred of logic in there.

Lies! The Yoghurt Subforum is where the most elevated and enlightened counsels of the guild take place!  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Crumpet Lord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:47 pm
Lady of Spain
Invictus_88
Ha, there's that yoghurt subforum and I doubt you'll find a shred of logic in there.

Lies! The Yoghurt Subforum is where the most elevated and enlightened counsels of the guild take place!

Really? I shall have to change that.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm
I was rather under the impression that England and Wales were under the rule of Scotland. Seeing as how we inherited their king and all.  

and_solo_said

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:13 pm
and_solo_said
I was rather under the impression that England and Wales were under the rule of Scotland. Seeing as how we inherited their king and all.

I love you.

Oh, and I'm Scottish. Not that it would have taken you too long to find out anyway.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:17 pm
and_solo_said

Not particularly, the line becomes immediately British I thought.

We're no more a Scottish monarchy than we are a Norman or Hanoverian one.

Invictus_88
Captain

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Invictus_88
and_solo_said

Thew English queen died so the Scottish king took over England as well as Scotland.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:24 am
ice_illusion
Invictus_88
and_solo_said

Thew English queen died so the Scottish king took over England as well as Scotland.

The English King was killed and a Norman became the King of England. It was still and English crown and an English country. After a couple of generations the king was considered English. Ditto a Scottish line of successions.

Essentially, England and Wales are no more under Scottish rule than England is under the rule of the Channel Islands.

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:48 am
and_solo_said

Why would that be.

It is zee Germans (and Phil is Greek)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:03 am
Invictus_88
ice_illusion
Invictus_88
and_solo_said

The English King was killed and a Norman became the King of England. It was still and English crown and an English country. After a couple of generations the king was considered English. Ditto a Scottish line of successions.

Essentially, England and Wales are no more under Scottish rule than England is under the rule of the Channel Islands.

To extent we are.  

and_solo_said

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:35 am
and_solo_said
That does it! I'm annoyed now...I'm going to make a rant, either here or in the ED!!!

At our high school, we were told it was the other way around. Not that I did history, nor am I good at it, but we were told that we ended up getting an english king, not vice versa. >=(

I'm always under the impression that english people think they're better than the scots. >=(

...-tries to calm down-...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:38 am
Great! Now everyone's gonna think that I'm some horrible, evil, blood-spilling dictator or something! 0_0;;;

-goes emo and runs into a corner, rocking backwards and forwards-

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:08 am
NikiPaprika
Great! Now everyone's gonna think that I'm some horrible, evil, blood-spilling dictator or something! 0_0;;;

-goes emo and runs into a corner, rocking backwards and forwards-

I wouldn't worry. theres plenty of them round here. You'll fit right in.
Though I have to say you're more just showing signs of Scottishness. It's all good.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff