Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Llewellyn authors?? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:24 pm
I've read books from several of their authors now and was wondering if they just happen to publish a lot of people full of absolute self-righteous Pagan crap. Recently, I picked up the book The Body Sacred and the entire first chapter is just the author rampaging on and on about how men and Christains are to blame for all of women's body image problems and how Wiccans, of all people, shouldn't have such problems as if others of other religions deserve them more. I was reading the book aloud to my friend and all we could do is laugh at her the whole time. I'm hoping it improves in the next chapter, though. So, my question is, should I just avoid the books published by them? What have your experiences been with their...literature...? Is reading these books a solid waste of my time, essentially?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:29 pm
Honestly, yes, avoid all their stuff. There are Lewellyn books that aren't rubish, but not a lot of them. Cunningham's encyclopedias aren't too bad if you are begining with herbal or stone work...and that's about all I can think of....anyone else?  

AingealOreiad

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:39 am
Don't go throwing the Baby out with the Bathwater!

A lot of this stuff is inaccurate fluff. SamWiser and Crossing Press have a lot going for them (even Harper has been getting into the mystic scene).

Lewellyn still own the rights so some of Yasmine's books, lots of Cunningham stuff (which is an okay source for OCW based Eclectic Paganism and Witchcraft), Telesco's work aand a host of other good authors who were around before Lewellyn sold out to Fluffydom.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 am
I have to agree about the Lewellyn books in general....total pants. But I personally do like Scott Cunnighams books.. I tend to look past the dross ingeneral. I love the Herbal Encyclopedia and I'm not the only non Wiccan who says it. I also have a nice craft book by him that I like.

But I will agree about other books. I bought a, so called, Celtic Paganism book and it was full of rubbish for the most part. But in truth, it is a difficult shop sifting through the mountains of books out there and seeking out the gold from the dross.

For me I go with the feel (psychically)....I seem to have a strange empathic link with books; and more often than not I'm right. When I pick up a book I go by how it feels. I thumb through the pages, feel the binding and so on...and the amount of times I'll pick up a book and almost instantly put it back donw, without even glancing at it's content.

So for me, going by how it feels does it...

Blessings

Cerri x

dark_reki

Dapper Gaian

2,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Hygienic 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:44 am
So... in short- it's not the publisher, but the authors one should avoid.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:23 pm
TeaDidikai

Pretty much, it's just unfortunate that for the most part Lewellyn seem to condone Fluffy Bunnyness lol

I wonder how'd they feel if bunnies looked like this?

User Image

Blessings

Cerri x

dark_reki

Dapper Gaian

2,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Hygienic 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:36 pm
cerridwen_uk
TeaDidikai

Pretty much, it's just unfortunate that for the most part Lewellyn seem to condone Fluffy Bunnyness lol

I wonder how'd they feel if bunnies looked like this?

User Image

Blessings

Cerri x
I think condone is an inaccurate assertion. They profit from them. Furthermore- they provide accessable paganism. Most of the content isn't invalid until it begins to use terms they have no right to use.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:48 pm
TeaDidikai
Don't go throwing the Baby out with the Bathwater!

A lot of this stuff is inaccurate fluff. SamWiser and Crossing Press have a lot going for them (even Harper has been getting into the mystic scene).

Lewellyn still own the rights so some of Yasmine's books, lots of Cunningham stuff (which is an okay source for OCW based Eclectic Paganism and Witchcraft), Telesco's work aand a host of other good authors who were around before Lewellyn sold out to Fluffydom.
not to mention some of the old 'classics' that are pretty good to have for your average occultist: three books of occult philosophy, john dee's diaries. i can't remember too much else right now though.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:57 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
not to mention some of the old 'classics' that are pretty good to have for your average occultist: three books of occult philosophy, john dee's diaries. i can't remember too much else right now though.
They still have the publishing rights to Agrippa's works? confused  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:47 pm
Alrighty then. I do believe I'll check out reviews on their books from several sources before making any investments if that's the case. That and read through the first few pages as it seems to unmask itself in the initial ramblings of the authors. Thank you all for your advice. heart heart  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:56 pm
emmfullness
Alrighty then. I do believe I'll check out reviews on their books from several sources before making any investments if that's the case. That and read through the first few pages as it seems to unmask itself in the initial ramblings of the authors. Thank you all for your advice. heart heart
Might want to look directly at Source Texts.

Which area of study are you focusing on?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:09 pm
emmfullness

I tend to read the 5-star reviews and the 1-star reviews when choosing a book. Helps me figure out what some people see as the major problems.  

maenad nuri
Captain

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:21 pm
TeaDidikai
emmfullness
Might want to look directly at Source Texts.

Which area of study are you focusing on?
I keep jumping around. I've been reading several books on Chakras, their world history, their correspondences, their uses, exercises, etc. I've picked books up on runes and on the Pagan image of the body (hence The Body Sacred. I've read a couple books on the femal image of diety throughout history, one of which I'm still reading, it's called When God was a Women I heard some good things about it and it's quite interesting. It's taken a few shots at the Book Religions, but it's minimal compared to other things I've read.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:23 pm
If that book does get better, let me know. Perceptions of the body is incredibly interesting to me, particuarly those that celebrate the body.  

maenad nuri
Captain

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:31 pm
Nuri
If that book does get better, let me know. Perceptions of the body is incredibly interesting to me, particuarly those that celebrate the body.
I'll be sure to. 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces