Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
♛ [Potions] Fall Term 2013 (Open!) ♛ Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You better not post...
I shall not because I'm made of win.
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 8

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:35 pm
classified_reve --> I'll be on as much as I can but things might be sporadic.
Please know I'll do my absolute best to be prompt. m(_ _)m

☆═━┈01┈━═☆

User Image
User Image ... Moste Potente Potions ... User Image

User Image

A woman dressed with a clear Japanese Lolita flair enters the dungeon-like classroom. Her red eyes
scan the room as she looks at her gathered students. She softly smiles, takes a breath and begins.

"Hello and welcome to a very important core class in your quest for magical excellence; Potions.
I am your instructor for this course, Kotodama Mahouko-sensei."
She bows politely. "I suppose in
English, your native tongue, I would actually be called Professor Mahouko Kotodama. I do realize
that would be hard to say repeatedly so please just call me Professor Mahou or Mahou-sensei."

There is a slight sparkle in her eyes before she continues. "I was a sensei, or as you'd say teacher,
in the prestigious Japanese wizarding school Mahoutokoro. I assure you I am well qualified for
the position of Potions Master. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask for help.
Also, for your edification and pleasure here's a list of potions terminology for you to consider."

♛ - Brew: a liquid mixture made by steeping, soaking, or boiling solid ingredients in water

♛ - Concoction: a mixture of ingredients

♛ - Draft: same as a draught, but is drawn from a cask instead of a closed bottle

♛ - Draught: one serving, or a portion, of a potion

♛ - Elixir: a sweetened, aromatic solution used as medicine

♛ - Philter: a potion designed to enchant or charm the drinker

♛ - Poison: a potion intended to cause harm or death to the drinker

♛ - Tincture: a benign medicine preserved in alcohol

User Image

=۞= Intro =۞= Rules =۞= Application =۞= Grades =۞= Current Lesson =۞= Previous Lessons =۞=
=۞= Extra Credit =۞= House Points =۞= Announcements =۞= Other Classes =۞= Reserved x5 =۞=

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:38 pm
☆═━┈02┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Potions Class Rules and Etiquette ... User Image

User Image User Image User Image

Mahou-sensei looks around the room with a steely glare before continuing her instructions.
"There are rules to obey when dealing with something as delicate and precise as potion
crafting. I will expect you to know all these rules and follow them with utmost respect."

♛ - I have the final say on all matters. Debate is acceptable but I'm the authority here.

♛ - Please remember that this is a roleplay. I want conversations as well as classwork.
Don't feel as though you can't talk to others, just don't mess with their potion work.

♛ - That said, leave your drama at the door. Bickering IN CHARACTER is allowed to
an extent so long as it follows the story lines of BOTH characters. Bullying is NEVER
allowed. Make sure to follow the rules of Gaia Online as well as HPGoG. I mean it.

♛ - Speaking of HPGoG rules, make sure to post in house colors. I will deduct points
if you are silly enough to forget to do that. A stitch in time saves nine and all that.

♛ - Homework is to be done by the time it is due. If you're late you can still earn partial
credit. More info on that will be explained in the Current and Previous Lesson sections.
If you can't complete it please quote me HERE. (Don't PM me unless you feel that it's
something that will disrupt the class.) I prefer the roleplay element of talking here.

♛ - If you plan to drop the class let me know. I'd like to keep my class list up to date.

♛ - If there is anything you'd like to address or add don't hesitate to ask. I'm always
open to suggestions or ideas. I'm perfectly okay with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism too.

After finishing Mahou-sensei smiles softly. "I hope everyone got that" she says with a
searching look around the room. "Thank you for listening so patiently my students."

User Image User Image User Image

User Image

=۞= Intro =۞= Rules =۞= Application =۞= Grades =۞= Current Lesson =۞= Previous Lessons =۞=
=۞= Extra Credit =۞= House Points =۞= Announcements =۞= Other Classes =۞= Reserved x5 =۞=

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 pm
☆═━┈03┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Autumn Term Potions Class Application ... User Image

Mahou-sensei clears her throat gently before continuing. "Well class, now that you've heard
all of the necessary information, you should be able to make an educated decision on your
curriculum. If you would like to partake in Potions Class please fill out the following form."

Nuzzling her phoenix she says softly "Seika, would kindly help me? Thank you my kirei-hime."

User Image .................... User Image

The phoenix that had until this moment been resting silently on her shoulder began to glow
brilliantly. With a graceful cry it lilted into the air and snatched the documents from Mahou-
sensei's hand. One by one, the fiery bird flew between the desks until she had left a slip of
parchment for each student with a simple questionnaire on it. Afterwards, Seika returned
to her owner's shoulder, the shimmering orange light dimming to its normal rosy red hue.

First year students, please fill out this part of the form:

[b][u]RP Name[/u][/b]:
[b][u]House[/u][/b]:
[b][u]Year[/u][/b]:
[b][u]What made you decide to study potions[/u]?[/b]:
[b][u]Is there any potion you'd like to brew[/u]?[/b]:
[b][u]Please tell me a bit about yourself[/u][/b]:

Second years and beyond, please fill out this part of the form:

[b][u]RP Name[/u][/b]:
[b][u]House[/u][/b]:
[b][u]Year[/u][/b]:
[b][u]What potions have you done in previous classes[/u]?[/b]:
[b][u]Is there any potion you'd like to brew[/u]?[/b]:
[b][u]Please tell me a bit about yourself[/u][/b]:

♛ - Fill these out COMPLETELY and leave them on my desk. Thank you. - ♛

Mahou-sensei gives them a few moments to contemplate the form before speaking again.
"I expect everything is pretty much self explanatory but I'll clarify a few minor details
just in case. I'd like the forms to be posted HERE and not PMed to me. PMs, as stated
earlier, should be avoided unless you feel it's necessary to speak to me in private. If
any part of this form is confusing or lacking to you, you may quote and ask me here.

Once I have accepted your class application I shall quote you to let you know. If you'd
prefer I PM your acceptance please write that somewhere on your form"
she concludes.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:40 pm
☆═━┈04┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Roster & Academic Achievements ... User Image

After a few minutes more Mahou-sensei makes her way to a shimmering document pinned
up near the doorway. On it are spaces for the names of students from the four houses, color
coded for convenience. Pointing her wand at the parchment Mahou-sensei speaks up again.

"This is where you'll find your names as well as your assignment statuses in this class.
The best student of the year will surely be given a reward. The worst? Well, hopefully
no one will do so badly that there need be repercussions... All students will receive a
small gift from me in the form of a few potions just for entering my class as a show of
good faith. Please keep these for your own personal use as a sign of my appreciation."

Quote:
User Image User Image User Image User Image

♛ - Save and upload to your own server. For use on Gaia Online ONLY. Do not sell, edit, or
redistribute without my permission. I pixeled these myself for people in HPGoG. Anyone in the
guild may use them in signatures, post styles or other such things. Any questions, just ask. Style
of bottles inspired by Mothette x on The Hogwarts Express and used with her permission. - ♛

"Your final reward for finishing the term will hopefully be enjoyed as well. Please do
check this list regularly to see what work still needs to be turned in and also to learn
of your standing academically. You will earn points for your house by doing well and
being prompt with your classwork. Extra credit may be offered at any given time."

User Image Gryffindor User Image

♛ - Student 1

♛ - Student 2

♛ - Student 3

User Image Hufflepuff User Image

♛ - Nikkiquin (Nicolette "Nikki" Ardeoavis)

♛ - Student 2

♛ - Student 3

User Image Ravenclaw User Image

♛ - ApostleOfTheWind13 (Hailey Redgrave)
// yum_cupcake (Nov 25) //

♛ - Student 2

♛ - Student 3

User Image Slytherin User Image

♛ - monkey2979 (Elise)

♛ - Student 2

♛ - Student 3

// Finished Classwork : yum_cupcake // Extra Credit : yum_strawberry // Late Classwork : yum_onigiri // Missed Classwork : emotion_facepalm //
// Completed Final : gaia_star // Completed Class : gaia_angelright // Dropped Class : gaia_nitemareright // Highest Grade : gaia_crown //

User Image

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:41 pm
☆═━┈05┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Current Lesson ... User Image
User Image

Mahou-sensei looks at her students and smiles warmly. "I know we've gone over
so many things already, but there is much yet for us to discuss. Now is the time
to begin your lessons in earnest. First, I would be remiss if I did not explain the
grading points system. It's really rather simple. Everyone, please pay attention."

With her wand Mahou-sensei begins writing glowing letters on the chalkboard. "Your
Current Classwork will be worth 10 points upon completion. Extra Credit is worth
5 points. Last but certainly not least, your Final Exams will earn you 20 points.
Students who do well will not only receive plenty of points for their respective
house, but they will also get a reward from me as a gift for their diligence..."

Mahou-sensei's eyes soften slightly as she begins speaking again. "I understand
that sometimes things will come up. Everyone has their health and well being to
consider. If you cannot complete a lesson please quote me HERE to let me know.
You will have the option to finish any Previous Lessons for between 2 to 5 points
depending on how late you are in completing them. More on that will be explained
later during my discussion on Previous Lessons. Now, lets begin your classwork!"

•.¸¸.۩◦º°۞°º◦۩.¸¸.•

۞ - You will roleplay brewing your potions based on the recipes listed.
If you need examples, you may look at the posts in previous potions
lessons HERE and HERE. If you still have any questions, just ask me.

۞ - You will need AT LEAST one sentence for every two lines in the
potion recipe. You can't RP by typing "Dumps ingredients in cauldron.
Boils and stirs potion. Finally, bottles and puts it on desk."
I will NOT
accept that as classwork. Please, put a decent effort into your roleplay.

•.¸¸.۩◦º°۞°º◦۩.¸¸.•

Lesson 01

"Alright my dear students, we shall begin with a somewhat challenging first
assignment; the Forgetfulness Potion. It is a potion that one of the previous
professors chose as a final for his class in this very school. However, I want
to test your abilities and as such this shall be your first endeavor in my class.

A Forgetfulness Potion causes, as the name would suggest, memory loss. There
are varying beliefs on the strength and longevity of this brew therefore please do
not try drinking it. Simply bottle the completed potion and place it on my desk."

Quote:
Pewter Level 01 : Forgetfulness Potion
♛ - (( Class Years 1 & 2 )) - ♛

1 - Add 2 drops of Lethe River Water to your cauldron.

2 - Gently heat for 20 seconds.

3 - Add 2 Valerian sprigs to your cauldron.

4 - Stir 3 times, clockwise.

5 - Wave your wand.

6 - Leave to brew and return in 45-60 minutes.

7 - Add 2 measures of Standard Ingredient to the mortar.

8 - Add 4 mistletoe berries to the mortar.

9 - Crush into a medium-fine powder using the pestle.

10 - Add 2 pinches of the crushed mixture to your cauldron.

11 - Stir 5 times, anti-clockwise.

12 - Wave your wand to complete the potion.

"Well class, today we shall do a rather amusing potion; the Shrinking Solution.
This brew, once completed, would make the drinker younger and thus smaller. It
is often used for transportation of livestock in rural communities for convenience.
There are a few different methods for brewing this solution. We shall be using the
published textbook method since it is the accepted academic standard in Britain.

Failed versions of this potion can be poisonous so please be careful. Once you
complete your work, bottle the potion and place it on my desk. Thank you."

Quote:
Brass Level 01 : Shrinking Solution
♛ - (( Class Years 3, 4 & 5 )) - ♛

1 - Juice two Shrivelfigs and add their ruby blood to your cauldron.

2 - Stir slowly.

3 - Gently heat your potion.

4 - Chop four daisy roots more finely and add to cauldron.

5 - Add five hairy caterpillars.

6 - Add well-shaken wormwood.

7 - Stir vigourously.

8 - Juice four leeches and add.

9 - Stir slowly and with caution.

10 - Shake rat spleen and add to cauldron.

11 - Add a splash of cowbane.

12 - Stir slowly.

13 - Heat on a high temperature.

14 - Wave your wand to complete the potion.

"Ah Autumn is upon us. It is a soothing time where the world goes to sleep and the
crisp scents of dried leaves and homey baked goods waft through the air. It makes
one feel very relaxed, doesn't it? With this inspiration in mind I have selected your
first lesson; the Draught of Peace. It relieves anxiety and agitation and it a perfect
way to start the year. Who wouldn't enjoy a bottled way to soothe ones nerves?

This is a difficult potion brew and can have a wide array of properties if it is done
incorrectly. Follow the directions to the letter. Please use utmost caution when doing
your work. Bottle the finished potions and place them on my desk when you're done."

Quote:
Copper Level 01 : Draught of Peace
♛ - (( Class Years 6 & 7 )) - ♛

1 - Add powdered moonstone until the potion turns green.

2 - Stir until the potion turns blue.

3 - Add powdered moonstone until the potion turns purple.

4 - Allow to simmer until the potion turns pink.

5 - Add syrup of hellebore until the potion turns turquoise.

6 - Allow to simmer until the potion turns purple.

7 - Shake powdered porcupine quills vigorously until
they are ready and then add until the potion turns red.

8 - Stir until the potion turns orange.

9 - Add more porcupine quills until the potion turns turquoise.

10 - Allow to simmer till the potion turns purple.

11 - Add powdered unicorn horn until the potion turns pink.

12 - Stir until the potion turns red.

13 - Allow to simmer until the potion turns purple.

14 - Add more powdered moonstone until the potion turns grey.

15 - Allow the potion to simmer until it turns orange.

16 - Add more powdered porcupine quills until the potion turns white.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:42 pm
☆═━┈06┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Previous Lessons ... User Image
User Image

While her students begin working on their lessons Mahou-sensei softly calls attention
to a book sitting in plain sight on her desk. "This book is where I will keep a log of all
previously done lessons. The potions from the most recent lesson may be completed
for 5 points each. Any potions from before that will be worth 2 points each. You do
not need to quote or ask me if you may work on them as they will always be made
available for you. If there's anything about this you don't understand, please ask.
Lessons will be listed here from newest to oldest. I hope everyone finds this fair."

Lesson 00

Quote:
Pewter Level Potion 00

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾
•.¸¸.◦º°۞°º◦.¸¸.•
☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

Quote:
Brass Level Potion 00

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾
•.¸¸.◦º°۞°º◦.¸¸.•
☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

Quote:
Copper Level Potion 00

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾
•.¸¸.◦º°۞°º◦.¸¸.•
☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

User Image

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:43 pm
☆═━┈07┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Extra Credit ... User Image

User Image

Mahou-sensei continues her conversation with her busy students. "You may be
content to simply do your work and leave this class. That is perfectly acceptable.
Those of you who are of the more ambitious sort will want to check back here for
Extra Credit"
she says as she motions to a small area on the side of the chalkboard.

"I am not particularly fond of homework. It is unlikely I will ever offer it to you. As
such Extra Credit is a nice way to boost your grades. There's no guarantee how long
it will remain available once it is posted. There is also no set schedule for this work.
Only students who check in often and are prompt with their studies will reap the full
benefits. The types of work offered will vary as well. Each piece of Extra Credit you
complete will be worth 5 points. I wish you the best of luck in earning top marks..."

Assignment

Quote:
"The holidays Halloween and Thanksgiving are coming up. While here in Britain
we celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving is a North American holiday. Both Canada
and the United States have it on different days and for different reasons. I find it
fascinating how different countries and cultures have their own holidays. It is with
this inspiration in mind that I have decided on your first Extra Credit assignment.

You will invent a potion with no fewer than 6 Ingredients using this list HERE for
your guide. You will then write the instructions for how to brew your potion. The
theme for their result must be either a Holiday OR a Season of your choice. There
are to be no less than 10 Lines for the brewing directions. Please make sure to tell
me what your potion is meant to do as well as its name. Post your assignment IN
CLASS
and I will award you up to 5 Points. Good luck and please do have fun."

User Image

=۞=
Extra Credit =۞= House Points =۞= Announcements =۞= Other Classes =۞= Reserved x5 =۞=

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:44 pm
☆═━┈08┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... House Points ... User Image

User Image

In the corner of the room directly opposite from the entrance there is an antique
cherry wood table. Hanging on the wall just above it are four enameled shields,
each in the colors of the four Hogwarts Houses. Gilded numbers shimmer in their
center. On the table itself sit some famous magical sweets; most notable are the
Cauldron Cakes. Mahou-sensei smiles as she gets her students attention again.

"My students, these shields will show you the current House Points earned by
you in this class. These will be the exact numbers I provide to the Headmaster
come end of term. If you want to know your House's standing in my class, look
no further. Also, please help yourself to as many snacks as you'd like. I'm quite
fond of them. As always, if there are any questions or concerns, let me know."

User Image Gryffindor User Image

♛ - Currently : 00 - ♛

User Image Hufflepuff User Image

User Image Ravenclaw User Image

♛ - Currently : 10 - ♛

User Image Slytherin User Image

User Image

=۞= Extra Credit =۞=
House Points =۞= Announcements =۞= Other Classes =۞= Reserved x5 =۞=

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 pm
☆═━┈09┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Announcements ... User Image

User Image

After helping herself to a Cauldron Cake, Mahou-sensei begins to wind down her
explanations. "My students, I hope you've enjoyed hearing about Potions and my
personal thoughts. On occasion I may have a few things I want to discuss with you
that aren't exactly classwork, such as school events. If that is the case, I shall list
it on the chalkboard to read at your leisure. Please try to check back often just in
case something important comes up! I appreciate you being attentive everyone."

Quote:
♛•.¸¸.◦ The Hogwarts Express ◦°♛º◦ Oct 20-26, 2013 ◦.¸¸.•♛

The Hogwarts Express is boarding for the return trip to school.
Please make sure to post there on time to earn points for your house!

User Image

=۞= Extra Credit =۞= House Points =۞=
Announcements =۞= Other Classes =۞= Reserved x5 =۞=

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm
☆═━┈10┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Other Available Classes ... User Image

User Image

Mahou-sensei takes a deep breath as she moves to conclude her lecture.
"Well my students, as much as I enjoy having you in my class you will need
to complete many more fields of study before you can become academically
rounded wizards and witches. As such, I will take this time to introduce you
to the other classes currently available to you at Hogwarts. Please, visit the
other rooms and pursue your academic excellence to your fullest capability."

With a polite bow Mahou-sensei nods towards a map of the school grounds.

Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Astronomy Fall Term 2013

Care of Magical Creatures Fall Term 2013

Charms Fall Term 2013

Defense Against the Dark Arts Fall Term 2013

Divination Fall Term 2013

Flying Lessons Fall Term 2013

Herbology Fall Term 2013

History of Magic Fall Term 2013

Muggle Studies Fall Term 2013

Transfiguration Fall Term 2013

The Dueling Club!

User Image

=۞= Extra Credit =۞= House Points =۞= Announcements =۞=
Other Classes =۞= Reserved x5 =۞=

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:47 pm
☆═━┈11┈━═☆

User Image

User Image ... Reserved ... User Image

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

User Image

=۞= Extra Credit =۞= House Points =۞= Announcements =۞= Other Classes =۞=
Reserved x5 =۞=

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:48 pm
☆═━┈12┈━═☆

User Image

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

User Image

Reserved x5 =۞=

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:49 pm
☆═━┈13┈━═☆

User Image

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

User Image

Reserved x5 =۞=

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm
☆═━┈14┈━═☆

User Image

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

User Image

Reserved x5 =۞=

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100

Nikkiquin

Sparkling Senshi

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:51 pm
☆═━┈15┈━═☆

User Image

☽ ✗ x X x ✗ ☾

User Image

Reserved x5 =۞=

Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas