Feedback from a Site Moderator concerning our guild

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GC Revolt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:32 pm
gaia_angelleft gaia_angelright
I've received a PM from idleRAT concerning our guild that I thought you would be interested in reading.

idleRAT
GC Revolt
idleRAT
Hello GC Revolt,
I am contacting you today about your guild, Revolution: Gaia. The guild itself is absolutely fine and within Gaia's rules, but there were a couple of things I wanted to bring your attention to.

In This thread, you have users quoting their friends in order to get them to join the guild. This should be done using the inbuilt guild invites feature instead as we allow users to turn off guild invites, so they can avoid being invited to guilds if they want to. Your current system is a bit spammy and may annoy users who have deliberately chosen to turn off guild invites. I would recommend making a topic where your guild members can post names of people they want to invite and then you can go through the list and invite them via the guild invites instead.

Also there's this topic, which isn't a problem so far, but do make sure to keep an eye on topics like that as they can descend into flame wars pretty quickly when people are naming names, etc. I see you have a couple of members as guild crew and that's a good start, but remember that you're responsible for moderating your guild and keeping your members in check. It might be a good idea to lock that one to make sure it doesn't get out of hand and maybe add a rules sticky to your guild and mention not talking about other guild members/Gaia users in a way that may be considered abusive(the posts I have seen there so far aren't abusive, but they may cause a bit of drama between your guild members, especially if they don't get on with each other).

And as I'm PMing you anyway, I just wanted to further clarify what you have already been told about reporting NPC accounts as some of your members may still be planning on doing this. When done deliberately in that way, it can be considered report system abuse or spam(as was mentioned), but also it's an ineffective way of making your points as the majority of these reports are handled by the volunteer moderating team(who have no control over site features/releases). Site feedback posts genuinely are the best way of getting your opinions heard by members of staff.

On the whole, your guild is fine and you seem to have some good ideas for ways to get your point across maturely. 3nodding This message isn't a warning or anything like that, I just wanted to give you a quick heads-up about these few things because as you may know already, a guild captain is responsible for ensuring their guild is following the Terms of Service and handling spam, flaming, etc. within the guild. You seem to be doing a good job of making sure your guild members are acting maturely so far. ^^

Feel free to respond to this PM if you have any questions or there is anything you'd like me to clarify for you.

Sincerely,
idleRAT
Gaia Online Site Moderator

Thank you very much for this PM. I will take your words into consideration--I was unaware that quoting friends was considered spam.

Do you know which members are planning to report PMs? I haven't heard about anyone planning to, since I made an announcement, and thought I clarified we would not be reporting Admin PMs.

I can promise you I will do my utmost to keep this guild civil. I can't say we won't have a few bumps, as users get very passionate about what upsets them, but I will try to remind them to stay calm and vent in an acceptable way. Users who cannot comply will be banned, such as ********.

Again, I thank you for your advice.

-GC Revolt

Hi, thanks for the speedy response!

It's not that quoting friends itself is spam, it's that it's being done to get them to join the guild and is similar to a guild invite in that respect(you're allowed to quote your friends for other reasons, of course). Imagine if you had guild invites turned off because you didn't want to join guilds and were getting quoted in a guild asking you to join it, you'd find it annoying and spammy as you'd turned those invites off for a reason.

As for the PM reporting, there's this post here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=24002235#357687741 from one of your members. They seemed to miss the point a bit, so I just wanted to add to the information you'd already received about this. :3

Regarding keeping the guild civil, you're doing a good job so far. As long as you/your crew keep on top of moderating things, you won't have a problem. We don't expect you to be able to control everyone's behaviour automatically, just to handle things when they appear(as you have been doing already). You probably will get some rogue members/trouble makers, but that won't be held against you as long as you carry on handling things as they come up. ^^

Just a note as well - if you haven't done already and are still looking for members, you can make threads, etc. in CB as well to advertise your guild, it's a bit more active than the GGN forum and if you make a CB thread you can bump it as much as you like too, which will keep it visible/may get you more members.

Thank you again for your time, as mentioned before, you're doing a good job with the guild and seem to have some good ideas. 3nodding

~idleRAT

I hope we can all take this into consideration.
Thank you for reading!

GC Revolt
gaia_nitemareleft gaia_nitemareright

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:35 pm
i had a similar conversation with Sandokiri about negative name-dropping (such had since been edited out but i forgot to edit on my part and will do). Everyone else is looking like they're trying to flesh out good ideas - and seeing why some just aren't going to work. i have just commented on one such thread.

That said, i think this guild has the potential of becoming a great middle-ground for trying to help Gaia improve over the course of gods know how long. i'm here as a member and guest so i will make sure i'm on my best behavior when arguing or discussing certain points. Frankly, i owe you guys that much after a certain problem being resolved in a calm manner.

i would advise that, when making your points here and outside that you keep a calm head. There are people like myself who do get heated, very passionate, or rude. i try on my part (and fail quite hard at times) to not go too far into something - i think you guys can succeed where i fail, and some of you are doing a very good job representing your points and interests. Don't let those who treat you rudely (and i mean actually being demeaning and insulting, not just mere disagreement) get to you. If someone is genuinely attacking you, report and put on ignore. They are not worth your time.

A lesson i should have learned years ago.  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

MistyMary24

Astral Mage

21,825 Points
  • Alien Invasion 50
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Dragon Uprising 75
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:19 pm
Thank you for sharing that post. It was enlighting and answer some questions I have had myself about guilds. I own and run two of them and have asked questions in the past without a response from some of the staff members on Gaia. The one that used to answer my questions I have not seen on in a long time. Do not remember his name either.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am
It sounds as well that we got a moderator who may be willing to work with us. :3  

Slytherin Lord

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
💡Site Feedback and Ideas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items