Submit

kaela2015

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 am
So I was able to solve my problem. I took a chance and washed it after ironing it and it turned out just fine, luckily. If you want to read the original post, its in the spoiler :3

Hey! I found this great tutorial on youtube for galaxy painting a t-shirt. I decided to do the star trek Starfleet science division insignia on a blue shirt which I had laying around, in acrylic paint, which is what they used

I had to paint a white base because it was a colored shirt, which took 3 layers.
the first was the acrylic paint, but it seeped right through the shirt and left very little coloring
after that dried I decided to put my fancy white acrylic on it to get the white coloring, so without watering it down or anything, I did that and it worked. I did anoher coat on top of that with the same white acrylic paint as the first time and it made it all a solid white.
then I painted all of the galaxy stuff on it
Heres the finished result:

User Image

problem: I just figured out that instead of using my fancy white acrylic, I accidentally used my white WATERCOLOR paint instead!

I am trying to figure out how to make this not ruin my shirt in the wash. all of the acrylic paint would stay, but the white watercolor layer could seep out and discolor the rest of the shirt and the painting!

the only care instructions I can find for acrylic paints on fabrics is here

If any of you girls have any advice, or know how long it takes for watercolor paint to dry before it wont re-wet, or know how to seal watercolor paintings, please, let me know!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44 pm
kaela2015

I paint toms with acrylic paint but I never use water color cause im afraid it would just come off in the rain or something. So im not for sure how long you would have to wait, but to test it out I would paint another shirt or something else you have laying around and then see how long that takes to dry with the water color on it, that way you dont have to guess with your shirt and mess it up. Cause your shirt looks amazing by the way. c:
Thats all I can think of to do though, if your already did that then sorry if im no help. sweatdrop

B u n n e h s a u r -x

IRL Fatcat

8,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
19. ✿ - - - Art And Graphics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items