Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Band Nerd Guild
Flutter tonguing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Baddicus B itch

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:43 pm
I've looked everywhere, tried just about everything, but I can't roll my r's or growl just right.. Any advice?  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:49 pm
Try saying "T, K, T, K" over and over, or "Too, Koo, Too, Koo". I learned by walking around and saying it over and over, while I was walking the hallways, in the store. People really don't notice. Once you've got saying it down, start to try it on your instrument, start slowly and then build up speed. You could also practice just the throat "K" sound on your instrument and then add the tonguing.  

6 gun quota

Friendly Gaian

meow637

Shirtless Prophet

9,675 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:05 pm
6 gun quota
Try saying "T, K, T, K" over and over, or "Too, Koo, Too, Koo". I learned by walking around and saying it over and over, while I was walking the hallways, in the store. People really don't notice. Once you've got saying it down, start to try it on your instrument, start slowly and then build up speed. You could also practice just the throat "K" sound on your instrument and then add the tonguing.

that's double tonging, not flutter tonging.

I don't know exactly how to describe flutter tonging, but what can give you the same effect is humming while playing. Just make sure it's the same pitch or you may get multiphonics  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:07 pm
meow637
6 gun quota

that's double tonging, not flutter tonging.

I don't know exactly how to describe flutter tonging, but what can give you the same effect is humming while playing. Just make sure it's the same pitch or you may get multiphonics

I read to fast. Yeah, flutter tonguing is hard to describe... the humming thing will work though.  

6 gun quota

Friendly Gaian

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:21 am
Don't feel bad. I can't roll my r's either. That's why I don't really care for Spanish class. I just tried it, and the humming does work, but takes a lot of air.  
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:59 pm
Could you specify what instrument you play? I can flutter tongue on flute since I dabble in contemporary music but it's different from instrument to instrument.  

deaxtiv8t3d

Fashionable Noob

7,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Baddicus B itch

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:41 am
Sup Nerds
Could you specify what instrument you play? I can flutter tongue on flute since I dabble in contemporary music but it's different from instrument to instrument.

I play the french horn.

I recently discovered that I am unable to roll my r's because of the way my tongue is shaped. I shall learn an improv method smile  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:40 am
KaiKashi Shion
Sup Nerds

I play the french horn.

I recently discovered that I am unable to roll my r's because of the way my tongue is shaped. I shall learn an improv method smile
i can't roll my r's either, but i manage to flutter tongue by using the "french" way to roll r's... It's basically like rolling your r's except it's in the back of your mouth and if pitched low enough it sounds like a growl. I think the easiest way to replicate this is to listen to a french person speaking their r's and try to replicate the sound they make. it should come naturally, just keep mimicking them until you can get it right. then try to isolate and extend that sound. think about how it feels to make that sound in your throat and keep doing it for a certain length of time. once you can get that down, transfer the sound to your instrument.  

deaxtiv8t3d

Fashionable Noob

7,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Salty Bottoms

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:21 am
KaiKashi Shion

I play the french horn.

I can flutter tongue on the french horn, but it doesn't sound pretty. I can flutter tongue on the flute, too. It seems almost unnatural, but its common in jazz brass.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:36 am
ScribbledDomino
KaiKashi Shion

I play the french horn.

I can flutter tongue on the french horn, but it doesn't sound pretty. I can flutter tongue on the flute, too. It seems almost unnatural, but its common in jazz brass.

Yeah, our field show was Gershwin this last year and there was one note that we had to hold for three measures while flutter tonguing. There were plenty of people who struggles, so our BD kind of just decided to leave it alone ^^;  

Baddicus B itch

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Band Nerd Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces