Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
Advice for after graduating? O_O

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alkaid677

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:20 pm
Okay, so i'm basically finished with high school... I'm a graduate. I'm 18, turning 19 this September ( I know, I was a bit behind in high school) But.... Now i'm lost as to what I should do sweatdrop my mom wants me to go to College right away, but I have no idea what college I would go to -_-' especially since my area has no college, they're located further away. And I've never had a job before yet so I really have no money or experience, and I know for a fact that my parents cannot help pay for my college.... They have my younger siblings to worry about. But my relatives from my dad's side who live like 6 hours away, thought it would be better for me to have a gap year (not go to college right after high school and wait a year). They suggested I apply for a job at the post office, since they work at the post office for a living. They suggested that I spend the year working and building up my experience and earning money. I have absolutely no idea what I should do sad and i'm pretty sure my mom wouldn't like me taking a gap year, though my dad wouldn't mind.....  
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:37 pm
Well you could always take the leap year? If you don't have any money or scholarships for college immediatly.

Also you should probably file FAFSA which is federal aid. It's pretty much free money the government can grant you.

If you're in the US anyway .n. What exactly would you prefer really?  

Kimmy_is_awesome

Sparkling Shounen

Alkaid677

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:44 pm
Kimmy_is_awesome
Well you could always take the leap year? If you don't have any money or scholarships for college immediatly.

Also you should probably file FAFSA which is federal aid. It's pretty much free money the government can grant you.

If you're in the US anyway .n. What exactly would you prefer really?

Hmm, well I actually have done the FAFSA already...but I haven't heard back from them yet .... So idk....
And for what I prefer... Um... I can't decide -_- sucks, and is kinda pathetic, but I can't.....  
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:46 pm
no. don't do any of that, sleeping is so much better.

alkaid677

hoenest

Darling

Alkaid677

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm
tanqela
no. don't do any of that, sleeping is so much better.

alkaid677

Ah yes, sleeping.... What a great thing to do... Cept it's not a possible option for me stare cus my mom would kill me, and sleeping wouldn't get me anywhere. .....  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 am
Apply for FAFSA and any and every scholarship, even if you don't think you'll qualify.

If your parents do earn too much and you're considered a dependent under them at the moment, I would suggest a gap year.

Student loans suck and take forever to pay off, even if at very little interest.

Work, garner experience, maybe move out (or start paying rent) and claim independence.

Then utilize financial aid (you will be need-based at that point.)

It's a really, really hard thing to leave school, work, then come back.

Most don't recommend it, but if you need to then take the opportunity (employment!) that's being presented to you and roll with it.

Welcome to the real world! It's hard and unfair, but go for what works and is practical for your situation.

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

Alkaid677

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 am
flauterfli
Apply for FAFSA and any and every scholarship, even if you don't think you'll qualify.

If your parents do earn too much and you're considered a dependent under them at the moment, I would suggest a gap year.

Student loans suck and take forever to pay off, even if at very little interest.

Work, garner experience, maybe move out (or start paying rent) and claim independence.

Then utilize financial aid (you will be need-based at that point.)

It's a really, really hard thing to leave school, work, then come back.

Most don't recommend it, but if you need to then take the opportunity (employment!) that's being presented to you and roll with it.

Welcome to the real world! It's hard and unfair, but go for what works and is practical for your situation.

Thanks ^.^ i'll try and remember this.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:06 am
Well it's hard to give advice when we basically have different cultural background.

For us it's our parents who's responsible for our education until we finish college. So...hmm but some college students are working students.  

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

xXNi-ChanXx

Lonely Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:43 am
You know for Fafsa, you probably won't hear back from them until you go the college that you enlisted for it... You also know you could also check up on your status for it. :/
Anyways, my best suggestion for this is be both a part time student and work at a part time job. Yea, you are probably going to be tired but don't overload with classes either. Maybe do about three or two (less stress). I wanted to do the year gap but because work really screwed me over and basically got me extremely sick because of the stress and all, I decided to quit my six month job and just go back to school. I honestly didnt like where I worked at all. The customer were horrible and dont get me started on the co-workers. But we nor your parents cant deicide what you should do. You are old enough to know what YOU want. Parents want whats best for you, but you need to do what makes you happy. Just dont want too long to back to school.  
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games