Submit

floralsnow

Sweet Shoujo

15,500 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 am
Hello ladies! I recently received this stupid message and I thought I'll share it here.

User Image

This message came from a someone with a username REPORT_Yukai. After reading this, it made me a little bit scared (Of course, it's a matter of being banned), but I suspected it because of some irregularities. So I thought I'll check the internet for similar messages and found this one from Yahoo! Answers. It is an obvious way of getting your account information and use it for their personal interest. Also, if you search the said username, you will notice that she is definitely NOT a moderator of gaia online because she just recently joined yesterday (April 23, 2012)! And for goodness sake, if she wants to fool somebody, I hope she can erase that
REPORT_LAUREN
line! I also don't think that gaia moderators will immediately order you to stop any of your activities and pull out all items your selling in the marketplace when they spotted you doing something wrong. This scammer just really want to get your items of your account!

Anyways, if anybody has encountered this kind of message, please don't get be fooled and immediately report this message User Image. The link can be found after the delete button and somewhere down the message. I hope this can be of help to everybody. Don't get too careless or you might lose your hard-earned items and golds!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:39 am
Thank you for the heads-up!  

Alicia007

Beloved Exhibitionist

18,375 Points
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • 50 Wins 150

JohJohTheMahdern

Hallowed Bunny

15,800 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:54 am
That message is a pretty detailed, official-looking setup. It would be easy for people to believe it's real. Good work calling our attention to it!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:39 am
Yay! Now we have stupidity mixed in the mix of hackers : D
=3= They can't do things on their own can they?  

x-YourPretendFantasy-x

Hilarious Consumer

4,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Window Shopper 100

hoenest

Darling

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 pm
ohmy, gaia will never ask for your password o:  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 pm
i had someone tell me that i would be banned within three hours if i didn't give him my username, pass, rl name, address, etc.
meanwhile, i'm looking at it four hours later after having an assembly at school on internet safety.
wanna say really bad timing? ou o
but the whole address and irl name makes me think it was a creeper of some kind. plus, the account was only a few days old, so i'm willing to bet it was a hacker or something that had been banned recently  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

Haunting Paranoia

Wheezing Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 pm
I am so happy that I've never gotten a message like that because I'm gullible and would have been really freaked out and possibly even give them my information. Then, I'd be paranoid for the next week that they would be talented enough to hack my account without the need of asking me for my information just to get back at me.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm
actual admin and moderators on gaia will NEVER ask for your password. I've had similar messages sent to me before so I know how it makes you a little nervous at first but just remember that and you'll be in the clear  

StrayKit

13 Mockingjay

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm
You have to be careful with that stuff. If you give them your e-mail, not only can they hack your Gaia, but anything else logged in with that e-mail address (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) They can also hack your e-mail through Gaia and, if they wanted too, could possibly get to your personal items on your actual computer. I knew a girl that had that happen to her. Fortunately, she was going to school to be some kind of computer enigneer and was in the middle of a class when they hacked her e-mail, so her instructor helped her stop the hacker and she didn't lose anything.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm
Thank you for posting! I've had similar messages sent to me on different websites. Always remember that administrators would never ask for your personal information because they already have it.
It's amazing the lengths that people will go through to hack into accounts, and it's scary that they would ask for an 'rl' name neutral

Mother Molly

Destitute Faun

34,240 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Budding Witch 250

Jin-is-supreme

Tipsy Humorist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm
i wish i'd get these messages :< they are so funny to me. like a really bad pun that causes you to give out a strange keen in between a sob and a laugh.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 pm
While, good for you for speaking up, I feel the need to warn you, that you should take out the name of the scammer, out of your post.
Its considered name dropping and is a violation that can get you in trouble.. sweatdrop
I would hate for you to get in trouble over trying to help others.

A Song Is Born

Beloved Cutie-Pie

EternalAnge

Enthusiastic Otaku

52,900 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 pm
Rarrglrarrglrarrgl... I hate seeing these types of messages, but I'm lucky that I never got one. If I do ever get one, however, I know exactly what to do to protect myself.  
23. ✿ - - - Gaia Community & Tektek

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games