Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:50 am
http://onlyterriblethings.blogspot.nl/2013/02/crash-and-burn.html

Quote:
Fwoosh!

Some of the new flyer rules must be for flamers, because that's the sound of the new Death from the Skies supplement (which is available as of today exclusively through the Games Workshop website) burning bridges at several independent retail stores.

Here's an open letter from Pat Fuge, CEO of the Gnome Games retail chain in Wisconsin:

"Dear Games Workshop. You have made it less than desirable to sell your games and allow our place space to be used for your exclusive sales to the customers we take care of. For that reason all content in your new Aerial Combat Book is banned for all of our events. The book will not be allowed in our stores and is considered contraband.

GW players if you want to trade in your armies for store credit for Warmachine we have an opportunity for you. Please email ihategw@gnomegames.com for details."

Gary Ray of Black Diamond Games posted a similar sentiment on his blog:

"Trade in your current edition Warhammer 40K or Warhammer Fantasy rulebook and you take 40% off a starter box or rulebook for Warmachine or Hordes. We've done this with role-playing before, notably D&D and Pathfinder, so we know there are likely a bunch of rulebooks gathering dust and the need for excuses to start a new game. Let this be your excuse."

Additionally, as of this posting several other independent retailers have pledged to ban the use of Death from the Skies in their stores. The supplement represents a tipping point in the strained relationship between independent retailers and Games Workshop, which released several exclusive products through their official website recently, cutting out independent retailers and driving consumers directly to Games Workshop for their hobby fix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:38 pm
It's a bit odd, and extreme to be honest.  

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 pm
Interesting turn of events. I suppose it makes sense; why would retailers dedicate space for GW products, if they aren't allowed to sell the newest, most popular of them, the ones that would actually turn a profit?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:44 pm
Oh look, they're trying something new again. talk2hand  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:27 pm
xd rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:20 am
It should be noted that Independent Stockists can still sell Direct Only wares, only with less profit.

While I can understand the grievances and the anger that this latest hamfisted attempt by GW to keep the sales closer to home, the reply given, to simply ban the rules and thus bar players from using new, non-Direct Only models, is rather counter-productive.

It reeks of another anti-GW move turned into a sale more than anything else really..  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 am
It's a frustrating move really, that either way hurts the consumer. GW is making it somewhat harder to obtain this book, which is especially a pain when there is no official GW store around for you to place your order at. FLGS' won't touch it because they can't make money off it and the whole "treat it as contraband" move is really painful for players who have the book, have the new minis but find out that they are barred from playing, because of something between the stores and GW.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:24 am
What I find interesting is the idea of trading in a book for a heavy discount on a starter set for another game, because that does make quite a bit of sense, and is a bait for those who haven't invested quite so much in GW.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 am
40% off a $50 boxed set or book, is quite a deal, but then again the Warmachine stuff is made in the US and those GW rulebooks fetch a good price on ebay and other places, so either way the local stores come out on top.

Also, the current US pricing for a big rulebook from GW is almost $75, so despite their "fierce" anti-GW bravado, they are going to make a killing on this.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:46 pm
Are you saying this is an elaborate "buy American!!!" scheme? If so, what do you need while I'm here? ninja  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:00 pm
They make a much larger profit on Warmachine, and do not have to pay as much in S&H. My local retailer used to take orders for Forge World and would then place an order once they had enough to get the free shipping, but the shipping has gotten so ridiculously expensive that they won't even do that now. They local shop owner has been a loyal dealer of GW for years and he is starting to get a teensy bit annoyed with all of the online exclusive stuff. As it is he has no incentive to order it if someone comes in and wants it. GW is just shooting themselves in the foot where Independent Retailers are concerned, again.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:10 am
Death from the Skies has sold out, perhaps unsurprisingly.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 am
Rumour has it that 800 copies were printed world-wide, but I find this a tad absurd. The source is the store from the first post by the way, so take it with a dash of salt.  
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 pm
I find this to be a rather interesting move. I wonder if that gaming store has a deal with privateer press to get their products cheaper then normal.
This is not the first I have heard of stores doing this where GW is concerned though as an independent retailer in my area has done the same thing.

I can understand why some small stores would go this route, but it still sucks for the consumer.  

DarschZero

Dapper Lunatic

6,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:49 am
It may very well be so, though it could also stem from the fact that Privateer Press is an American company, so less overhead shipping, plus you get to help a true patriotic red-white-blue company instead of something from across the pond.

End of the day, the consumer is being punished for it and that's not how things should go.

Also, the book in question is now available as an overpriced app for the iPad, so if you're one of those lucky show-offs, go you.  
Guild Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games