Yaoi?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jao Feng

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 am
What are your thoughts on this genre?
What do you think of the whole fandom and how fan girls rush to pair straight characters in doujinshi?
I am curious, because I hear a ton about this genre.
My friend sent me some videos of yaoi pictures back in 2010, but I was never very into it. (These were mild, mind you. They were mostly just boys kissing)
However whenever I log onto my DeviantArt account, I find my inbox spammed often with her pictures of kissing boy-boy love.
So, I came here to get a scope on females opinions of Yaoi.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:36 am
User Image

Well, it varies from person to person. There are people who are into it just for the *coughs* sex scenes. I actually like the plot that some of them have. See, I'm into angsty stories and yaoi (and yuri) tends to be up my alley. Like how a character struggles with being in love with someone of the same sex. Or how society is against them being together because of that fact.

I'm not strictly yaoi despite what my fics and manga collection say. I do like straight and yuri pairings. Not to mention, some people make them bi, so they can still have the crushes they have before. For me, the pairing just has to make sense, like there is some evidence in the series. Don't just pair characters up just because you want them in a straight or gay relationship. Like with Yu-Gi-Oh, I actually shutter at the thought of Azureshipping (KaibaxAnzu) because there is no evidence that they would ever get together. I think Kaiba only acknowledged her a handful of times.

Also, there is no proof some characters are gay or straight. Take Sasuke from Naruto. He's pretty much not interested in anyone, so he could go either way. Well.... If it wasn't for the fact some of the dialogue in the series...... Trust me, the SasuNaru/NaruSasu fans actually do have a case to say it is possible.

Normally, if the character is in an established pair (as in it's not implied but they straight out say they are together) I leave them alone. Yes, I might entertain the idea of them in other pairings, but I won't be all "OMG! They must be together!!!!". For example, Once Upon a Time. Personally, I like the idea of RedxSnow or MulanxAurora, but I'm not saying that they have to be together. I just think it's a cute idea. Yes, this is yuri, but it fits with what I'm trying to explain.

If you want to start off slow, read Gravitation. It's mostly comedy with a good deal of drama, they don't kiss as much as other series, and the sex is implied. If I remember correctly at least..... I only have a few volumes because I had this weird deal with my friends that I'm not friends with anymore that who ever got the next volume had to share with other two so they didn't have to buy it.

Post style by PhallenPixie

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

-IDebito-

Newbie Raider

6,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:04 pm
I'm okay with yaoi.
But I'm not fan crazy pairing every guy I see with another guy.
The pairing has to make some sort of sense.
I'm not gonna lie though, I have made some pairing that didn't make any sense at all, but hey it was only rarely.
But man, some of those guys just belong together.

I think it okay for people to like what they like. It not like they are forcing others to like it. Unless they are then, sucks for you.

Overall, either you like it or not. I just happen to like it. But I prefer Shounen ai because the stories actually have actual feelings of struggle that we as readers can relate to and doesn't just go straight to them doing you know what.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:17 pm
-IDebito-
I'm okay with yaoi.
But I'm not fan crazy pairing every guy I see with another guy.
The pairing has to make some sort of sense.
I'm not gonna lie though, I have made some pairing that didn't make any sense at all, but hey it was only rarely.
But man, some of those guys just belong together.

I think it okay for people to like what they like. It not like they are forcing others to like it. Unless they are then, sucks for you.

Overall, either you like it or not. I just happen to like it. But I prefer Shounen ai because the stories actually have actual feelings of struggle that we as readers can relate to and doesn't just go straight to them doing you know what.

User Image

That's why I prefer the term BL, or boys love. I just say yaoi mostly because people use it even for shounen ai.

Post style by PhallenPixie

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm
I have some issues with yaoi, especially with parts of the fanbase. I hate the rape=love trope with a passion and yaoi relies on it way too much. The really terrible stuff either limits characterization to seme and uke, or reduces the characters to that. I don't care for the sections of the yaoi fanbase that just seem to hate female characters on principle, as well as the fans whose only justification for a pairing is that "they're hot".

That said, if you do a good job writing a romantic relationship between two characters I'll ship them regardless of gender. I'm more of a yuri fan in general, but there are certainly male/male pairings that I really like. I usually don't have an issue with someone else's pairings so long as they can defend them and some aspect of the ship doesn't fall into creepy territory for me. Or I ship one of the people involved with someone else because shipping is serious business.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The only yaoi pairing I could ever get on board with was Hiei and Kurama. I even read some fan fictions. They are just a cute pair! But I do find it weird that people rant about how girls are obsessed with it and not homosexuals themselves you know? Like why don't guys ever paid up anime guys? Weird....but I don't really pay that any mind, it's just what I read on forums.

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
14. ✿ - - - Anime And Manga

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items