Panic Attacks and Public Speaking

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jin-is-supreme

Tipsy Humorist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:44 am
I had a series of panic attacks last night trying to revise my group presentation for Friday.

It is 15 minutes long. I am usually quite good at public speaking, but this one is scaring me terribly and I can't calm down. We are a group of 4 that only 2 of us have been pulling our weight.

Its dizzying, and now I have a splitting headache as well. I'm trying to stay warm and read over my material, it makes me a little less frazzled than 'taking a break' where I just think about it and worry.

How do you best prepare yourself? I've never had the issue with speaking before, but I guess having a good person dependent on me and some assholes too has really warn me out.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 pm
I still have a lot of issues with public speaking.

I mean, it's weird, though, because sometimes I can give a presentation completely fine and well and other times I stumble over my words and I find it has nothing to do with whether I am ill prepared or completely prepared.

I suppose if it's in a classroom - some teachers make me more nervous than others because some pry at me with questions and I'm afraid that I will not be able to answer them.

I gave a presentation recently and I read over my topic well, got to know it. I was going to give the presentation in class and I'm like, "I'm so gonna do this and get it done out of the way today!" and a few people volunteered and as more and more people presented - I got more nervous just thinking about my presentation. I felt a bit nauseated, dizzy, and light headed and I worried I suppose because I felt others may have had better topics or did a better job. I volunteered to present because I was starting to calm down and when I got up there - I guess I don't like the feeling that all eyes are on me. I was shaky and trying to get things set up and my hand gestures were probably noticeably shaky and unsteady. I would think to myself, "Don't shake and talk more fluently without choking on your words!" and the more I thought about that, the more I was shaky and the more I stumbled on words and I would run out of air so quick because I didn't feel relaxed for whatever reason.

Public speaking from what I've been told from people that overcome it is that it is something that takes practice and it's not always easy to feel comfortable in front of people when all their eyes are on you.

I think for me, it's the fear of messing up or doing something embarrassing like saying a word wrong or tripping or something of that nature.

Before a presentation, I eat foods that are easy on my stomach. I've never thrown up before, during, or after presented, but I do feel nauseated and noticed that something like a salad feels better on my stomach than something like pizza.

When I'm waiting to present, I just try to remember to breathe, relax, and not to worry. Sometimes I worry more when I think about worrying or messing up, and sometimes I can successfully relax and be fine during the presentation.

I often find that no matter what, it's best to give your presentatinon first or somewhere in the middle of all your classmates because it's the last presentation that people will probably remember the most. That is, if you can volunteer and help it (I know sometimes instructors have it in a certain order that's already assigned and I don't care for that a whole lot). Once it's done out of the way, I can relax and watch others presentations knowing, "Ah, the anxiety is gone because I am done."  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Jin-is-supreme

Tipsy Humorist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 pm
Aquatic_blue

the food is good advice, my stomach has been a mess lately so i'm not sure what I can eat that won't make it vocal.

the unreliable group is making me exceedingly nervous, despite me knowing I just need to explain my bullet points.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 am
Just take a deep breath.

K now I am going to tell you how I got over having to speak in front of nearly 200 people in attempt to earn a scholarship.

I practice, even though it really freaking me out to think about it. I was shaky and sick and I couldn't hardly eat. I had a year of public speaking after that day and I knew it. I broke down in tears in front of about 18 girls my age as well as 20 people the helped run the program.

Seriously. Take a break. Grab your ipod or what ever, set the papers or laptop down, walk away from your work. Go for a walk, call a friend and just get your mind off it. Heck, watch a movie, drink some tea and curl up and a blanket. Take a warm shower or bubblebath. You will feel better if you find a way to relieve the stress.

I agree with Aquatic too. Eat something easy on your stomach, not too much grease.

And after you take an hour or two to just relax, go back to your speech and just look it over or have somebody you trust read it or listen to you present it. Another set of eyes will catch most mistakes that you miss or can help you make the words flow better.

Just know in your mine, you can do this. It's no big deal. 15 minutes to show them that you are not afraid. Put on a smile and be confident in yourself! blaugh  

Sei-chan5

Bashful Loiterer

7,000 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Jin-is-supreme

Tipsy Humorist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 am
Sei-chan5
Just take a deep breath.

K now I am going to tell you how I got over having to speak in front of nearly 200 people in attempt to earn a scholarship.

I practice, even though it really freaking me out to think about it. I was shaky and sick and I couldn't hardly eat. I had a year of public speaking after that day and I knew it. I broke down in tears in front of about 18 girls my age as well as 20 people the helped run the program.

Seriously. Take a break. Grab your ipod or what ever, set the papers or laptop down, walk away from your work. Go for a walk, call a friend and just get your mind off it. Heck, watch a movie, drink some tea and curl up and a blanket. Take a warm shower or bubblebath. You will feel better if you find a way to relieve the stress.

I agree with Aquatic too. Eat something easy on your stomach, not too much grease.

And after you take an hour or two to just relax, go back to your speech and just look it over or have somebody you trust read it or listen to you present it. Another set of eyes will catch most mistakes that you miss or can help you make the words flow better.

Just know in your mine, you can do this. It's no big deal. 15 minutes to show them that you are not afraid. Put on a smile and be confident in yourself! blaugh

wow... I feel better already. I think... I'll take a nap?!?!

I am a bad a**. I know everything about this project, and if they fumble, I am there with a good 30 second assist.

I will go for a walk first and burn off the energy that would otherwise fuel anxiety.

3nodding thank you  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:04 am
Loshka
Sei-chan5
Just take a deep breath.

wow... I feel better already. I think... I'll take a nap?!?!

I am a bad a**. I know everything about this project, and if they fumble, I am there with a good 30 second assist.

I will go for a walk first and burn off the energy that would otherwise fuel anxiety.

3nodding thank you

Np. Just feel better! 3nodding talk to me anytime  

Sei-chan5

Bashful Loiterer

7,000 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:41 am
Loshka
Aquatic_blue

the food is good advice, my stomach has been a mess lately so i'm not sure what I can eat that won't make it vocal.

the unreliable group is making me exceedingly nervous, despite me knowing I just need to explain my bullet points.

I find that yogurt is usually easy on the stomach before class =) usually I try to avoid greasy foods and foods that I know will make my stomach upset. It helps a bit ^_^

Oh yeah >_< I remember group projects where I was doing all the work or me and one other person and the teacher gave a group grade. That always made me a nervous wreck. I try to think of it this way, "Hopefully the teacher will notice who actually did their research and who didn't and grade fairly." That's all the hope I had in situations such as those.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:16 pm
Sei-chan5

Np. Just feel better! 3nodding talk to me anytime

i finished it a few ahours ago and am now collecting myself from margaritaville

I did really well! i got us all clocked in at 14:40mins whee thanks!

it was really awkward, I had two group mates hiding behind me cause they were even more scared!

the professor asked a lot of questions at the end, i answered them all well, but i worry if that was a good thing or a bad thing sweatdrop

but who gives a s**t. ITS OVER  

Jin-is-supreme

Tipsy Humorist

24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas