Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
Should the goverment fund scientific research?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yay or Nay?
  Yes definitely
  Maybe
  No
View Results

jesse quick
Crew

Swashbuckling Gekko

9,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Olympian 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 am

As an aspiring astrophysicist I'm definitely pro the government providing funding, but it's a tricky issue.

Should the government spend money on scientific research when there is a recession going on? Should they prioritise some areas over others? (And if so which?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:22 pm
What an incredibly tricky question! I am not qualified academically to give an intelligent response to this HOWEVER in my very under qualified opinion I believe that yes the government should make allotments for scientific research.

Where should prioritization go? Even trickier streets lol. Where specifically do you think it should go?

RabidKitten
Crew

Friendly Cat

Dune make you Swoon

Tipsy Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:10 pm
I think some scientific research could actually help the government save lots of money.
Like the search for sustainable energy.

So yeah I definitely think scientific research should be funded, even during a recession.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 am
RabidKitten

Where should prioritization go? Even trickier streets lol. Where specifically do you think it should go?

I don't know that I could choose. The problem with scientific research is that quite often you don't know where it'll lead. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about some subjects but I know that it was research in physics that led to the MRI machine. It was research that pushed computing forward. And maybe some fields that seem like a dead end could actually lead to something completely different and life-improving.
So I think it's very hard to say where the priority should lie.

jesse quick
Crew

Swashbuckling Gekko

9,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Olympian 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100

Irako of the Desert
Vice Captain

Earnest Paladin

18,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Team Kitten Star 75
  • Hesitant Participant 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:14 pm
Depends on the research. More efficient energy resources research? Good. More efficient weapons of mass destruction research? Not good. Better medical research to cure currently incurable diseases? Good. Research into biological weapons? Not good.

The problem with a lot of scientific research is that almost everything can be turned to a bad purpose. We trust our governments to have the people's best interests at heart, but those are not the only things the government is concerned about. Why is the government interested in your desire to create miniature black holes so you can try to find out what's inside? Why would they want you to prove that the universe was not created by some higher power?

I'm not saying the government is bad or that they shouldn't fund scientific research. I'm just saying that people should think about the impact such research will have, both the good effects and the bad ones.

- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games