Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
New to WH40k... starting with space wolves.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zero_2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 am
So.... I guess I'll probably introduce myself after raping cuddling dark's spacewolf thread. (The thread liked it.)

My name is Brian Jones. My first exposure to the Warhammer universe was Dawn of War, which a squadmate got me to play and proceeded to beat me hard at when I was in Iraq. Didn't get too involved. Got pulled into Dawn of War 2 though, loved the enviroment and the story and the concepts. So I started buying warhammer 40k books.... About 2 years ago, I discovered it was all based on a table top game. There would be posts about how the game wasn't like the tabletop game in this way, or in that way, and I would gradually pick up on how the tabletop game worked and what it was. Then in the summer I decided that I needed a new hobby, but the price tag made my wallet jump out of my pants and run away. After wildland fire season, I had a butt ton of money and entirely too much time.... And I had always liked the space wolves. After a 30 minute conversation about which army specialized in what, I confirmed going with the Vlka Fenryka.

I stoped by the local comic shop, and baught a battle force set and the codex. That was about a week after joining this guild, and I was in the process of painting my first space wolf when I posted in Dark's Thread!

Right now, I've worked out exactly how many of what I want my army to be, and got to a point where I can mass assemble the models rather than be like "Um......um.... What the hell is this, and where do i glue it?"

These are my first three figures I've ever assembled, and painted!
The one on the left as you look at the picture was my first... where I discovered yellow is not a good replacement for an actuall white/tan paint for skin. The right is my second, and the middle my third and most resent.
User Image
User Image
User Image

I've patched up the white spots I've missed on the right guy.

Thoughts/input/critisim/cake?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 am
I'd say give the models a wash, then touch up on them with either a drybrush or some layering using a slightly lighter colour.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 pm
I'd agree with Vikki on either a wash or some form of layering to break up the monotonous color. Other than that, looks like a solid start! What are you working on other than the three starter models you've got there?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 pm
So, round two. I decided to go with a Wolf Scout Pack next, since it's really just normal space marine scouts that I had to kitbash the heads and trinkets out of a real space wolves kit. It did prove to be easier to paint, so I could perfect my painting technique and try new color combinations. With these, I finaly discovered that there is a difference between base and layer paints... So I primed, based, then layered them. Still working on the bolter look though.

These I painted all Ironbreaker, with a generous coat of nuln oil on the top half. I still don't have a red paint yet to paint the helmeted heads and the one scout head that was stolen from cyclops.

Thoughts/improvements?

User Image
User Image
User Image  

Zero_2005

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 am
Zero_2005
So, round two. I decided to go with a Wolf Scout Pack next, since it's really just normal space marine scouts that I had to kitbash the heads and trinkets out of a real space wolves kit. It did prove to be easier to paint, so I could perfect my painting technique and try new color combinations. With these, I finaly discovered that there is a difference between base and layer paints... So I primed, based, then layered them. Still working on the bolter look though.

These I painted all Ironbreaker, with a generous coat of nuln oil on the top half. I still don't have a red paint yet to paint the helmeted heads and the one scout head that was stolen from cyclops.

Thoughts/improvements?

[photos]

from what i can see they look really good, you can tell right away that they look better than the un-inkwashed first models (which were fine, just, flat). could you upload a couple of photos of maybe just one or two models at a time so we can see them close up??  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:47 pm
Finished the rest of the Grey Hunter pack.

User Image
User Image

Again, experimenting with how I paint the bolters, and trying new color mixtures for things I want to be darker. Perfected my layering so that when a model has cut in runes, I don't cover up the pain in the runes so the two-colors looks really bad a**.

I still don't have pack markings though, because I need to get red for them.

Thoughts?  

Zero_2005

Ice Queen Westley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm
I had the great opportunity to paint a space wolf for a friend. What i did with the shoulder pads was i got a maroon red like color and i made lines across the yellow shoulder pads. just a sort of design or pattern really. But if you do plan on buying those stamp things that you cut out then put water on and stuff to make the shoulder pads that's a better way to go...transfer sheets! That's what they're called.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 pm
More updates!

still haven't done company or pack markings, i'm waiting to do that when i finish the whole army so that they are uniform and i don't acidently give two packs the same marking.

Terminator just wants a huuuuuug.....
[User Image

As you can see, i did my 5 Wolf Guard terminators, with an assault cannon for a heavy weapon. I also did my wolf priest/chaplain, with a stormbolter..... because stormbolters are way better than the plasma pistol that came with it.

User Image
User Image  

Zero_2005

NoUsedAnymore

Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 pm
Quote:
Terminator just wants a huuuuuug.....

Want a hug ehhhh? I will let you hug one of my Ogryn squads, maybe even let you hug these 20,000 flashlights.

Good work on them though. Wish you weren't Space Puppies, but then again, everyone gets their choice.

Please post more pics of your Puppies when you can. blaugh  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff