Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:32 pm
trigger warning: homophobia.

okay so i want help with something- i'm somewhat homophobic, and i really really really want to get over it. and before someone starts posting things bashing me because i'm homophobic, i'm going to say i'm trying to get over it, but it's harder than it sounds to get over it.

i don't know what to say here, because i have a feeling if i type this or that it'll just make me look like a giant a-hole, so i'll just shut up.

so.. yeah. if anyone could help me with this, i'd really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:44 pm
Well, what do you think it is that your scared about?  

Banshee Cupcake

Magical Wife

20,790 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Married 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:45 pm
Banshee Cupcake

i have no clue, that's just it. it's some sort of irrational fear about nothing, which is probably the part that irks me the most.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:52 pm
Hm... this is a situation I've never encountered before. Honestly most people are stuck in their ways and think it's okay to leave it as is.

On topic: I'm wondering if this was caused partially by not having much love for LGBT's in your home. Usually children grow up with their parents' beliefs and take them on as their own (I used to be Christian like my mother until I found my own path). Also it might be that you were hit on or harassed aggressively by someone who was gay.

Well, I don't know how it happened but here's one piece of advice: Remember that gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, AND straight people are the same. All humans are the same and deserve equal rights until they take them away from someone else. I have so much respect for you for sharing this Dance-chan. I just wish everyone could see that it's not time to be "scared" or "intolerant" of certain people. MOAR LOVE PLOX crying  

The Maharani

Banshee Cupcake

Magical Wife

20,790 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:16 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
Banshee Cupcake

i have no clue, that's just it. it's some sort of irrational fear about nothing, which is probably the part that irks me the most.
Hmmmm, well I'm going to ask this because of what Maharani said, do you remember either of your parents not liking LGBT's?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:25 pm
Banshee Cupcake
Dancehall Hysteria
Banshee Cupcake

Hmmmm, well I'm going to ask this because of what Maharani said, do you remember either of your parents not liking LGBT's?

well, no, not that i can remember. my dad's said that if any of us came out as gay, he'd be a bit upset- although it would be because of all the s**t we would have to deal with instead of homophobia.

as for my mom, i dunno. she's a bit of a paranoid person- literally thought i was going to get mugged if i rode the city bus home,- so it's possible. i'm not sure though.

some kids i hung out with did mention some stuff when i was younger, although mostly religious stuff to do with homosexuality ("it's a sin" and all that)- in the suburb i live in, most people go to church and all that.

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Banshee Cupcake

Magical Wife

20,790 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:29 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
And what of the harrassment or being hit on? Do remember such an event occuring?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:35 pm
The Maharani
Hm... this is a situation I've never encountered before. Honestly most people are stuck in their ways and think it's okay to leave it as is.

On topic: I'm wondering if this was caused partially by not having much love for LGBT's in your home. Usually children grow up with their parents' beliefs and take them on as their own (I used to be Christian like my mother until I found my own path). Also it might be that you were hit on or harassed aggressively by someone who was gay.

Well, I don't know how it happened but here's one piece of advice: Remember that gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, AND straight people are the same. All humans are the same and deserve equal rights until they take them away from someone else. I have so much respect for you for sharing this Dance-chan. I just wish everyone could see that it's not time to be "scared" or "intolerant" of certain people. MOAR LOVE PLOX crying
well, i don't know about my parents. i said this on the post above, but i'll just repeat it for convenience:

my dad's said that if any of us came out as gay, he'd be a bit upset- although it would be because of all the s**t we would have to deal with instead of homophobia.

as for my mom, i dunno. she's a bit of a paranoid person- literally thought i was going to get mugged if i rode the city bus home,- so it's possible. i'm not sure though.

some kids i hung out with did mention some stuff when i was younger, although mostly religious stuff to do with homosexuality ("it's a sin" and all that)- in the suburb i live in, most people go to church and all that.

and no, i don't think i did. it's hard for me to tell when someone's hitting on me, so it could definitely be possible that something along those lines happened. but it's highly unlikely considering most people know when to stop, so i'll say no.

and gotcha, i'll keep that advice handy. thank you! ^^
sdfghjkl; respect? wow, wasn't expecting that. (insert more surprised babbling here)

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 pm
Banshee Cupcake
Dancehall Hysteria
And what of the harrassment or being hit on? Do remember such an event occuring?
i don't think so. it's hard for me to see when it crosses into flirting territory, but i'm going to say no on that. i think most people know when to not cross the line, so i'll say no to that.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 pm
Well, how many people in your life swing that way? It could be something that creeps you out and you don't know how to deal with it.  

Digital Fiend

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200

The Maharani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 pm
Dancehall Hysteria

Your parents sound like reasonable people. Your peers might've had a card to play then. Well I guess it's just discomfort you're feeling, as Digi Fiend said. I mean, wanting to change is the first step. Once you're introduced to the community (I mean like a Gay-Straight Alliance at school or some event that involves integration) or make a friend who's LGBT I'm sure things will change. I believe in ya =P  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 pm
Have you tried talking to friendly people you know that are gay/lesbian? I think that once you interact with them you will find that they are not that different. In time the discomfort should decrease.

Even if you aren't comfortable with gays/lesbians its all right. You are not required to like everybody you meet. Just remember to be polite and respectfull to others.  

Meline Moon

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:25 am
Digital Fiend
Well, how many people in your life swing that way? It could be something that creeps you out and you don't know how to deal with it.

i have a friend who's homosexual, and a friend who's bisexual.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:27 am
The Maharani
Dancehall Hysteria

Your parents sound like reasonable people. Your peers might've had a card to play then. Well I guess it's just discomfort you're feeling, as Digi Fiend said. I mean, wanting to change is the first step. Once you're introduced to the community (I mean like a Gay-Straight Alliance at school or some event that involves integration) or make a friend who's LGBT I'm sure things will change. I believe in ya =P

thanks! ^^  

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 am
Meline Moon
Have you tried talking to friendly people you know that are gay/lesbian? I think that once you interact with them you will find that they are not that different. In time the discomfort should decrease.

Even if you aren't comfortable with gays/lesbians its all right. You are not required to like everybody you meet. Just remember to be polite and respectfull to others.

i have a friend who is gay, but we don't talk all that much.

thank you!

24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces