Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Of Omens and Amusements Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:11 am
Okay- so it's not really Fat Tuesday anymore. But I was eating my King Cake and I found the Baby!

This promises good fortune and prosperity for the coming year.

I feel that omens and such forms of classical divination have fallen largely to the wayside of the modern pagan and witchcraft movement.

So I pose two questions:

Is this a function of omens being cultural in nature and not spiritual? Why or Why not?

And two, what are some of your favorite omens? Where do they come from?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:53 am
TeaDidikai
Is this a function of omens being cultural in nature and not spiritual? Why or Why not?
That's an interesting question, though I would have to say that it is both. The ring baked in the cake (please correct me if I'm talking about a totally different tradition here...) is a cultural tradition, though religious meaning has been attributed to the date and use of it. But then again I really don't know enough about it...

Quote:
This is what I really wanted to answer... biggrin I love my augury and frequently use the number of magpies I see together as an omen as to how my day will go. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea where this came from. Everything I find on it just says it's a folklore tradition that's "centuries old." Which just plain pisses me off. If anybody knows anything about its roots I would be very grateful...  

Pelta

quantum_leaper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 am
TeaDidikai
Okay- so it's not really Fat Tuesday anymore. But I was eating my King Cake and I found the Baby!

eek

Could i get an explaination for the studio audience please?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:39 am
quantum_leaper
TeaDidikai

eek

Could i get an explaination for the studio audience please?
King Cakes are a traditional food served on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras). They tuck a plastic baby into the cake, or a bean- find it in your slice and it is said that you will be prosperous in the coming year, be blessed with loyality, honors etc... good jazz.

It also means you have to buy next years cakes.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:15 am
TeaDidikai
King Cakes are a traditional food served on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras). They tuck a plastic baby into the cake, or a bean- find it in your slice and it is said that you will be prosperous in the coming year, be blessed with loyality, honors etc... good jazz.

The dining hall was serving some last night. If you found the bean they would give you a free pizza. My family doesn't eat King Cakes on Mardi Gras, I'm not sure why. We eat one on Dreikonigstag though. That might have to do with the fact that my family is more consistently all together on Dreikonigstag than Mardi Gras.

I'm not sure I can think of any omens, as opposed to superstitions; I only pick up pennies if they're face up, and my family says 'rabbits rabbits rabbits' as our first words on the first of each month (which reminds me, I forgot), but I'm not sure where we got that one. My mom's side of the family are Kabalarian Philosophers and do the whole numerology thing, but I never really picked it up. (Previous sentence not grammatically correct but I'm too tired to fix it, sorry.)  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:17 am
TeaDidikai
Lol. I didn't know that part of the tradition! In Cyprus when they did it (and I think here in Ireland as well...) it was a ring that was cooked in the cake and if you found it in your slice it was a sign that you would get married within the next year. Like catching the bride's bouquet at a wedding.  

Pelta

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:21 am
The grim, the term in Irish escapes me at present, has always been my favourite omen.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:29 am
reagun ban
The grim, the term in Irish escapes me at present, has always been my favourite omen.
*curiosity* Care to elaborate? What's it an omen of?  

Pelta

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:00 am
missmagpie
reagun ban
*curiosity* Care to elaborate? What's it an omen of?

Trouble in the family. They are generally your ancestral totem (in my case the bear) and turn up when there's trouble.
I've seen my family's once.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:20 am
My aunt swears by the Broom falling.

To date, every time when I run to her house for whatever reason, she has always just been putting the finishing touches (at all hours of the day) on my favorite comfort food for me as I come in the door.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:55 am
TeaDidikai

To date, every time when I run to her house for whatever reason, she has always just been putting the finishing touches (at all hours of the day) on my favorite comfort food for me as I come in the door.
Impressive. My family's not really "plugged in" in quite that way.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:54 am
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai

My Aunt is just awesome like that  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:50 pm
TeaDidikai
does that include superstitions? black cats, broken mirrors, ladders, umbrellas, cracks?

TeaDidikai
my grandmother usually cooks a huge pot of hoppin' john right before the new year, and we eat a bowl on new year's eve and new year's day. then i have lunch set up for the next week, xp

TheDisreputableDog
We eat one on Dreikonigstag though.
'three king's day'? what is the significance of that day? not in connection specifically to your family eating the cake then, but what is the lore behind that day and its meaning?

reagun ban
is that almost like the ban sidhe?

TeaDidikai
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai

i think you're whole family's awesome like that, eek ! oooh, they sound so interesting!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:43 pm
I have a really hard time with omens simply because of both a lack of cultural/familial background for it, and having to keep a good control on hyperactive imagination. As a little girl with some pretty bad separation anxiety, everything was portentious of something terrible, I was sure of it. After reining that in, I've found it hard to find a middle ground of "this corresponds with this" because I have to keep second-guessing myself and making sure that I'm not just being silly/paranoid. That, in addition to... just not really knowing much about what might be considered an omen, within my family or otherwise.  

TatteredAngel

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:07 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
TeaDidikai
does that include superstitions? black cats, broken mirrors, ladders, umbrellas, cracks?
To my mind, yes.

Quote:
TeaDidikai
my grandmother usually cooks a huge pot of hoppin' john right before the new year, and we eat a bowl on new year's eve and new year's day. then i have lunch set up for the next week, xp
Sounds yummy.

Quote:
TeaDidikai
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai

i think you're whole family's awesome like that, eek ! oooh, they sound so interesting!
Good gods no. My mother is not counted amongst the wonderful individuals in my family.

This brings up a new question: Does anyone view these omens/superstitions as "Cultural Spells"- for example, if everyone who eats king cake knows that finding the baby/bean means good luck for the coming year- does that knowledge and belief raise energy and direct it to those ends?

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff