Reply 24. ✿ - - - Life Issues
I need to grow up..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dazed Poppet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:13 pm
It struck me today that I am an extremely immature person. I eat junk and play video games all day, wear screen printed shirts, watch cartoons, and read kids books. I'm nearly sixteen, and I still act like a child. I never really had a problem with it until now, I sort of just accepted the way I am. But now.. I absolutely hate the way I am. I want to change. I want to grow up and become more mature and responsible. It's my goal to completely alter myself for the better. But at the same time, I want to keep some traits that make me me. I know it's difficult, but I can't stand being the way I am anymore.

So... where do I start? How do I become a better person?

I have a list of things that I want to do that I think will improve myself as a person..:
- get new wardrobe
- start painting/drawing
- learn guitar
- sell kids books and video games
- get a job
The list is longer, but I am too lazy to type it (as it is 1am... o__o) So yes.. any form of help is greatly appreciated ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 pm
you know some of those things you can moderate. i'm 20 and still play videogames sometimes, i still eat some junkfood, and some cartoons i watched as a kid i still love to sit down and see. and if "screen printed shirts" are the kinds that have pictures and such on them there's nothing wrong with that, i see a lot of people on campus with those on. maturing doesn't always mean you have to throw away all childish things, my parents still sit down and watch cartoons with me sometimes and they're in their 40's. none of those mean you're immature but if you're unhappy with being that way, moderate how often you do these things and do what you plan to change it.  

StrayKit

Harmonical Melodies

Hallowed Lunatic

13,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:08 pm
I agree with straykit. I'm 18 I play Kingdom Hearts all day long and the most active I've been is swimming. I love to watch cartoons and I love my "screen printed shirts"
Go with her advice... xp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:53 pm
There is a time in everyone's life where they go through the phase of thinking they are too immature. Believe me, I've gone through it as well and I'll be eighteen this September. I know at first it may seem like these things make you immature but in my experience, they don't. It's okay to have fun and goof off. What you eat and wear isn't what truly defines your maturity level, rather your attitude towards life and those around you. It seems like you are simply going through that stage where you are ready to change the area around you. Remember, you're only sixteen! You have plenty of time to find yourself and 'grow up.' I think the best cure for this feeling you are having is to get out and go somewhere. Enjoy the sun. Hang out with your family or friends and relax a bit. You'll feel much better. I used to feel the same way you do all the time till time and I worried about it a lot. I made lists just like yours constantly and told myself I needed to get a life, a job, and grow up or else I would be stuck in a state of 'childishness.' But now that I'm a little older? I wish I hadn't worried about that stuff and just goofed off and had fun while I can. You only get to be a kid for so long before reality comes at you so you might as well enjoy yourself. Try not to rush into anything until your sure it is what you want to do. There is nothing wrong with cutting down on video games and junk food and changing your wardrobe. Same goes for getting a job. But make sure you are ready to make the change and are prepared. If you jump into everything at once you might stress yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to take a deep breath and think about what your telling yourself. Try to look at yourself in a more positive standpoint and be sure to ask yourself if you are ready to make the bigger decisions. Like I said, what you have said so far about yourself doesn't sound anything like maturity. I think you're just wanting a change of style and space. Plenty of adults watch cartoons, play video games, and wear silly clothing. What makes you mature is your attitude towards certain situations and how you perceive things. No need to rush into adulthood yet, unless you're sure you are ready for it. You still have a few years ahead of you! Enjoy yourself!<3

Her Malevolence

Hardcore Trash

16,475 Points
  • Giving Spooks the Spook 100
  • Get Dissed! 25
  • Senpai's Notice 100

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:20 am
Sweetie, you don't have to "grow up" just because you're a certain age. wink

I spent most of my life from being a toddler to graduating high school acting much older than I was. Part of that was having to take care of my brother, and my mom leaning on me when she was in an abusive situation with her second husband (not my dad). Also, I kinda think I just came out that way. smile

Then I got to college and I was like - hey! I got into anime and tabletop RPG's (like D & D). I went to Renaissance Faires and cons. The Super Nintendo came out, and wow, was that the greatest thing ever (at the time). Such fun!

But at the same time, I had responsibilities. The scholarship I was on required a 3.5 grade average. Later, when I got out of college, I had to pay rent. Then I moved out with a friend and had bills.

Now I am disabled (but I'm not gonna be forever!) and spend a lot of time on the internet, playing games and downloading cat pictures. redface But at the same time, I can still be grown-up. My mom lives with me, and since she has diminished capacity sometimes she needs my support. She's not as sharp as she used to be, and she gets upset easily.

So yeah, I have my cute, fun stuff (like My Little Pony) but I also have my serious stuff, like an Excel spreadsheet for my monthly budget and a planner where I write down all my appointments and meetings. I also dress rather conservatively. If something needs to be done, I figure it out. (Not without anxiety, at times, but I get it done.)

You'll find a balance that is right for you. Try small changes, over time, and see how they fit in your life. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:43 pm
Just enjoy our teenage years bcuz you only live one.....~YOLO~
But that's what people your age do. I'm 17 and I still play videos games and eat junk food..

Le Honey

Tipsy Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items