Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes
What Am I Supposed to Do About Cosmetics?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alice WR Ashdown

Dapper Dabbler

6,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:25 pm
Hi there!

I have never been a person whom was good with makeup- I either wore none at all, or I'd wear flamboyant emo cosmetics. I always found it a hassle, due to my sensitive skin, my thin lips, and my very pale complexion.

However, I didn't think much of it during my high school years, but now that I have graduated and my style has evolved into preppy-emo, I would like to wear cosmetics properly. I tend to wear things like skinny jeans, plaid, polos, black vests, Converse, band tees, silver bangles, horizontal stripes- frequently in pink, turquoise, white, and black, as these are my favourite colours, and I like how they mix together. I find pink also highlights some glow in my pale complexion.

My features (Listing in case that could help with suggestions):
Thin face
Pale skin
Combination, sensitive skin
Long lashes, but sparse
Thin lips
Large, Green-Hazel eyes (my favourite facial feature, in all honesty)
Glasses
Bangs covering the right side of my forehead
Side parting
Brown-black hair

What I Wish To Accomplish:
I'd like to be able to bring out my eyes and give my dead skintone some liveliness, whilst still looking natural. I'd possibly like to find a way to make my lips more noticeable, as they are very thin.

My concerns:
My skin is oily and sensitive- I break out in rashes from overly-perfumed things. I can tolerate softly scented things. (Think Love's Baby Soft)
I have to wear sunscreen quite often (SPF 60), as I burn easily and melanoma runs in my family. Is there any cosmetics I can use that won't hinder/be wrecked by the sunscreen?
I do have allergies to bananas, and possibly avocado, so I wish to avoid products/facials that use these. (People with banana allergies occasionally have an intolerance to avocado, as they are both "latex fruit," she I avoid avocado in prevention).
I have an eye condition that can be irritated my using "heavier" eye products.
I am a low-maintenance person in terms of presentation, so I'd like tips that are easy-to-use.

I truly appreciate any tips or comments anyone has to say~!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:54 pm
Skin was always a weak point with me, too - being that mine is very light and sun-sensitive. (I've sort of gotten into the habit of wearing sunscreen even for going outside a short while.) Though I do like having light skin, because I think it contrasts nicely with my dark hair.
I'm afraid I can't offer much advice other than maybe going to a cosmetic store where you can get some accurate, in-depth advice from people who know all about makeup. It might take a few tries - after all, not all cosmetic stores have very helpful employees - but I'm sure it'd be worth it, and no doubt you'll find people who can tell you everything and anything you want to know about your preferences/concerns. Maybe go down the list, one thing at a time and tell them about your preferences in regards to eye makeup, then lips, e.t.c.
Sorry it's not much, but it's what I'd do if I were in your position. =)

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150

Alice WR Ashdown

Dapper Dabbler

6,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:05 pm
Ayniu
Skin was always a weak point with me, too - being that mine is very light and sun-sensitive. (I've sort of gotten into the habit of wearing sunscreen even for going outside a short while.) Though I do like having light skin, because I think it contrasts nicely with my dark hair.
I'm afraid I can't offer much advice other than maybe going to a cosmetic store where you can get some accurate, in-depth advice from people who know all about makeup. It might take a few tries - after all, not all cosmetic stores have very helpful employees - but I'm sure it'd be worth it, and no doubt you'll find people who can tell you everything and anything you want to know about your preferences/concerns. Maybe go down the list, one thing at a time and tell them about your preferences in regards to eye makeup, then lips, e.t.c.
Sorry it's not much, but it's what I'd do if I were in your position. =)

Thanks for the feedback! I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll look into when Shoppers does another makeup consultation day.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:37 pm
Alice WR Ashdown

Thanks for the feedback! I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll look into when Shoppers does another makeup consultation day.

I'm glad I could help! =) At least, I hope it does help.
I once tried to go to a makeup consultation, but no one there helped me. XP I think they were just too busy with other people. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150

StrayKit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:40 pm
i'm horrible with make-up too, i haredly ever use it and need friends to walk me through stuff with it more than half the time if i'm doing more than applying eyeliner. but if your eyes are your favorite facial feature i'd look for colors and shades in shadows and liners that bring them out more. so....if your eyes are a lighter/brighter green use a slightly darker one to make them show up more. that's really all the advice i can give cat_sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:18 pm
Wow, you're just like me whee That means you're pretty!!!!!! Green eyes are amazing, I agree with the person above me green eyes are brought out from darker shades. Good luck~  

Ethereal Space

Dapper Regular

buckwolvhoosier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:05 pm
I am not make-up savvy, but I do have a few suggestions.

A make-up consultation sounds like a great idea, and if you are interested in that, then I suggest going to an actual make-up store. The employee's there might be trained in cosmetics rather than the employee's at a department store. I work in the health and beauty care department at the store I work at and I know very little about the products the store sells.

You can also look online. If you go to some of the name brand make-up sites like Revlon, Loreal, Maybeline, Neutrogena, CoverGirl, or Physicians Formula, you can browse through their make-up selections to read about their products. You would also have access to their ingredient list. Even at the store, they have pamphlets and such that list what is in the products. That would be a great way for you to know if a product had any banana or avocado ingredients.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope it helps.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:34 pm
The most I can tell you is to use makeup sparsely. However, store employees do help....  

pandastar110

Lonely Genius

10,775 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Pet Trainer 150

Rooney Faire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:39 am
I'm not much of a cosmotologist but I know a few things

If you want to make your eyes pop, mascara is great (especially since you have long lashes... I'm jealous). A bit of eye makeup on the upper lid is good, my personal favorite is the NAKED palet which works great! You could add eye liner, but avoid putting it on the upper and lower lids because it closes off your eyes, making them smaller

I know how it is having sensitive skin, I'm of mixed race so my skin can easily break out if the make up isn't good. I would say you can go out and look in Bare Minerals which is a natural based product that doesn't clog your pores as much and is good for sensitive skin (but use it sparsely). Although, any power make up would be good for you. Stay away from liquid cover up/concealer/bronzed/toner if you can. Only use powder smile

And remember, a little makeup goes a long way smile

heart

04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces